Golden 3 Nights Mexico - Formal Night?

chery4lbooks

There is not a formal night, but they should have the formal backdrops set up one night for pictures if anyone wants to have a photo memory of the cruise. This was done on both the 3 and 4 night cruises on the Golden.

I agree.

They billed it as a "Dress for Success" night.

Mike:)

I am doing one of these three day cruises and in my personalizer it is showing the following:

Your itinerary includes 0 formal nights and 3 smart casual nights. Port order and/or content may vary, please check specific sailing date for details. Port arrival and departure times are approximate and subject to change without notice.

On our 4-day cruises on the Ruby, it was "dress to impress." Lots of folks did.

On the CB the dress to impress night in the AT DR was followed by maybe 8 to 10 couples. The rest of the people were casual with some people wearing shorts- maybe 10 or so. Jeans, dockers, Hawaiian shirts etc. Hardly anyone wants to pack more formal clothing for such a short cruise.

On the CB the dress to impress night in the AT DR was followed by maybe 8 to 10 couples. The rest of the people were casual with some people wearing shorts- maybe 10 or so. Jeans, dockers, Hawaiian shirts etc. Hardly anyone wants to pack more formal clothing for such a short cruise.

I am waiting patiently for those shorts and tanks pictures. ;) I think it's nice those 8 to 10 couples had the opportunity to dress up, and I would have liked pictures of them, too. :)

I always enjoy formal nights when I cruise. However, I have to say, I am happy that a 3 day cruise does not have formal night. I have a 3 day cruise booked in November with the idea of total relaxation. Who knows what mood will strike me. I may stay in my capris for 3 straight days.:D:D:D Well, I have to have one dinner in the Crown Grill so will dress up a little for that.:)

Way back when we started cruising, my wife LOVED formal nights...Ahhh...the opportunity to dress up...

Me, personally...I love NOT dressing up...I am on vacation after all...I want to be comfortable...

Not going formal DOESN'T mean you can't look nice...Some folks look like slobs in bad formal wear...others look very sharp in nice casual clothes...

Anyway, over the years, my wife has come around...

We've cruised on Oceania a few times--where even on 14 and 16 night cruises, there are nop formal nights--always "casual"...And, know what? We never missed them. Dinners were special not because of what anyone was wearing but because the food and service was excellent, the dining room nice, the table mates interesting, etc.

The other part of this is the ease of packing...

It's obviously more important when flying to a cruise...Airlines now limit you to one 50 pound suitcase...and some even charge extra for that. If you are flying accross country for a 7 night cruise plus, maybe, a night precruise in the embarkation city, that 50 pound limit can get a bit tight...If you are flying, say, to Europe for, perhaps, a 14 night cruise plus, maybe, several days pre- and/or post-cruise, well, that 50 pound limit gets near inmpossible...So, packing all of your normal vacation clothes PLUS the required formal wear is just burdensome...For us men, it means a full suit or tuxedo with all of the accoutrements, extra shirts and those clunky formal shoes that aren't good for any other time during your trip. For women, who require a different gown and different shoes for each night, it is a downright imposition...

Plus, all of that formal stuff gets ruined and wrinkled in the packing...and needs dry cleaning when you get home...

So, I am waiting for the day when they have no formal nights required on any ship...

On these little three night ones, I am also so glad there is no formal night...

No, we don't have the problem of airline weight limitations...BUT, it is far easier to pack for a three night cruise when all you have to do is throw open a small carry-on and toss in three pairs of underwear and socks and three shirts, your toothbrush, toothpaste and razor...Heck, I don't even fill the whole carry-on...I can pack in my knapsack if I wanted...Can't do that tuxedo any justice trying to stuff it into a carry-on...

Besides, here in SoCal, we almost never "dress up" to go to dinner ANYWHERE...Heck, I've even dined at Spago wearing cargo shorts and a golf shirt...It's just not that formal a town...

I cant wait to get on the Golden in a few weeks and have my three casual dinners...

We just returned from a 3-day repo from Vancouver to San Francisco and I was surprised at the number of people who really dressed to the nines for dinner on our sea day (maybe 25-30%). They took pictures as though it was a formal night---of course they wouldn't miss the opportunity to sell photos. We did not pack formal wear due to packing limitations and we did not feel uncomfortable because we were dressed in smart casual for the evening. It was kind of nice to see those who dressed up even if the dress code did not require it.