Scrapbook or Smash?

junior8

Hi, I was browsing the scrapbook thread and I love looking at everyones pages. I have not scrapped before but have always wanted too. I'm going solo to Bermuda in October and the pictures I have seen have encouraged me to do a book.

I'm thinking of starting out with a Smashbook, mainly because it appears it will be cheaper to do, but then I think I will be limited....whereas if I made an actual scrapbook I am really only limited by my imagination.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a beginner?

I would guess it would depend on your scrapping personality. If you are a free spirit the smash may be great for you. If you like things to have a bit more structure a regular scrapbook may be what you would like. Remember a scrapbook doesn't have to be expensive and filled with all the latest embelishments. Just some basic papers to back your photos maybe some stickers still look nice. Don't forget to journal so you remember your wonderful time.

I would guess it would depend on your scrapping personality. If you are a free spirit the smash may be great for you. If you like things to have a bit more structure a regular scrapbook may be what you would like. Remember a scrapbook doesn't have to be expensive and filled with all the latest embelishments. Just some basic papers to back your photos maybe some stickers still look nice. Don't forget to journal so you remember your wonderful time.

Your right ...I never thought of it but I do like structure..and always thought scrapbook had to have alot of the fancy stuff in it. Im going to give the scrapbook a shot!! Thanks. And I will definately journal, with my poor memory if I dont write it down I will forget alot. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your right ...I never thought of it but I do like structure..and always thought scrapbook had to have alot of the fancy stuff in it. Im going to give the scrapbook a shot!! Thanks. And I will definately journal, with my poor memory if I dont write it down I will forget alot. :rolleyes:

Scrapbooks don't have to have a lot of fancy stuff in it. I personally think plainer more basic pages look better. The wonderful pictures stand out more. I usually just use a neutral cardstock. Add my pictures. Do some journaling, if I want. Then add a touch of something for some embellishing.

Scrapbooks don't have to have a lot of fancy stuff in it. I personally think plainer more basic pages look better. The wonderful pictures stand out more. I usually just use a neutral cardstock. Add my pictures. Do some journaling, if I want. Then add a touch of something for some embellishing.

When I first started scrapbooking fifteen years ago, pages were simpler. Then the trend went to pages with one picture and about 50 embellishments. Some looked like a work of art but in many you could hardly see the picture because of all the stuff!

Right now I like color blocking and Tami Potter's Mosaic Moments. Clean lines and less use of patterned paper.

Right now I like color blocking and Tami Potter's Mosaic Moments. Clean lines and less use of patterned paper.

I will check out what you are mentioning. I love clean lines on my pages. I don't use much patterned paper at all. Just a small touch of it here and there. I love cardstock. So clean looking, and then the pictures really stand out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you are giving scrapbooking a try. I have scrapbooked for years and it's a great way to preserve your memories but don't discount the smash book yet. They are amazingly fun! I just started one as a travel journal on a recent trip to Ireland and it worked perfectly!! Plus it's portable so you can take it with you and add to it on the trip. Either way have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm glad you are giving scrapbooking a try. I have scrapbooked for years and it's a great way to preserve your memories but don't discount the smash book yet. They are amazingly fun! I just started one as a travel journal on a recent trip to Ireland and it worked perfectly!! Plus it's portable so you can take it with you and add to it on the trip. Either way have a great trip!

I got a Smashbook but really didn't know how to use it so I started putting magazine clippings in it for decorating and remodeling ideas...seems like a waste to use it like that...if you use it for a trip, what about adding photos? Seems like all the space would be filled up? I need some help in the creativity department! Thanks :)

I've been looking on the internet at the Project Life style of scrapbooking. Really neat and easy style to scrapbook.

I doubt I'll ever use their album pages and fill them in with the cards and pictures. But I do plan on ordering the card packs to use on my regular scrapbook pages.

What is a smash book?

For those like me who had that question.. A smash book seems to be a spiral book with pages of multiple designs that you can paste things into or write on. It appears to be like a scrapbook but you do not have control over what is on the page backgrounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Smash books are books that either have predesigned pages or not. You put pics or memorabilia in and seems to have a more random look. Kind of like you just put it in. There are pre designed cards you can use to go with or not. Kinda like the Cliff Notes version of a full out scrapbook

• 2 months later...

I used a smash book to record all of my pre-cruise planning and information. My pictures and mementos from the actual cruise went in a scrapbook because I liked having my pictures covered/protected more. Granted this was my first cruise and a dream trip to Alaska, so the smash book gave me something to do to help wait out the time until my trip. I documented everything I found about Alaska and Alaska cruises and the places I was going to in the smash book. It also went with me on the cruise (actually a cruise tour) so I had all my research with me.

Fun idea. I am an excessive planner so that would be something I could do to keep my mind busy. I like the ideas of smash books but I know they are too relaxed for my style. (the look would drive me nuts) We are looking at a cruise in Europe in 2016 and I think I will try a precruise scrapbook

My planning book for our upcoming cruise is in a 3 ring Journal binder from Basic Grey.

I've done smash books while on trips before (once in DC, once in Germany, once in Hawaii) ... I loved them for that! Great for doing on the go - or for a beginner (I always recommend that beginners start with a project that has a beginning and an end -- like a VACATION!) This is a page on my much neglected blog from the DC smashbook I did...

http://elfpaper.blogspot.com/2012/08/washington-dc-smashbook.html

I love those projects!!

I am in the process of scrapping some other trips -- I'm using pocket pages for that Hawaii trip and loving them! I am mostly a traditional 12x12 scrapper but I'm using some 6x12 and 12x8 albums right now for a change of pace. I do 6x8 or 8x8 for my Christmas Journal/December Daily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I have been doing scrapbooks for a long time and most of mine are pretty plain. I might add a little embellishment here or there. Don't go out and buy a bunch of things you might never use. To start, you might want to buy a scrapbook kit. It has the scrapbook, papers, etc. in it and see if that is the direction you want to go.

The journal is a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

elfqueen - I checked out the link to your Smashbook. I absolutely love it! Such unique ways to displayed your things!

Everyone else - I love your posts since I was here last.

I'm still plugging away at my Alaska scrapbook from last summer. I have one 12 x 12 Pioneer album plum full. And many more pages ready for another album, I just have to order the 2nd album.

I'm having a bit of a time keeping motivated. I take so many, many pictures and always like to use them all. But I'm getting a bit bored sticking with the same scrapbooking theme for so long. I have the urge to quit this for a bit and work on something else - a birthday, xmas, camping..... But I know if I quit and move to something else, I will have a hard time going back. I am determined to get this cruise done!!!

This was our 4th Alaska cruise. 2x on the Pearl, 2x on the Jewel. My dh is always so amazed and comments that I take the same pictures of the same things on the ships on every single cruise!!!! I have no explanation to offer him..... except that it's an obsession!!!!!!!!! Or maybe an illness.... Yikes! ha, ha!

Well, keep us posted on how your scrapbooking is going.....

I too have an Alaska album from last summer I am trying to get through. I'd say I'm about 1/2 finished but just cant make myself do it. So many other irons in the fire that when I do have time I just want to sit. My goal is to have it done by easter but don't think that is going to happen. It was my second trip in two years maybe that is the reason.

sprint - I love the way my Alaska scrapbook is turning out. But I'm getting so bored with working on it, that I'm really having to force myself to do it. I try to get just a bit done each night.

The only reason I keep plugging away with it it because I'm being really "good" and not moving onto another scrapbooking topic until I get this cruise done.

sprint - I love the way my Alaska scrapbook is turning out. But I'm getting so bored with working on it, that I'm really having to force myself to do it. I try to get just a bit done each night.

The only reason I keep plugging away with it it because I'm being really "good" and not moving onto another scrapbooking topic until I get this cruise done.

Could you do a couple of pages that are totally different from your usual style? When I get bored with what I am doing I look through my books and magazines and find something "unlike" me to try.