10/4 Veendam Cancelled

billfromtulsa

Latest from CTV news quotes HAL as stating that all PAX are landed. No mention yet about the next sailing but it isn't looking hopeful.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/stranded-passengers-leave-cruise-ship-stuck-in-quebec-city-1.2035103

Like I said earlier, it will take about 75 to 80 hours to reach Boston...so if she was to leave now, one could expect the ship to arrive in Boston Sunday around 3pm. Add to that all the time needed to prepare for the next cruise ( it would be a 6 day cruise ) to Quebec...for that HAL would have to cancel one port at least...

Just got off the phone with a rep at HAL and they said that we are sailing on schedule. She said the update was from this morning. Who knows.....

Bill

Could it be the same rep that told an other member here YESTERDAY that the ship was on it's way :eek:

Do you suppose there are many passengers on the Oct 4 cruise completely unaware that the ship is having trouble.

I am sure there are some...

No mention of the last cruise being cancelled on their official Facebook, Twitter, no mention of it on the Cruise Industry twitter feed...

They are keeping this very low profile...so I guess some pax are in the dark...

Do you suppose there are many passengers on the Oct 4 cruise completely unaware that the ship is having trouble.

Of course there are. Passengers travel from all the globe to take cruises. It is safe to assume that there are many passengers who are enroute at this moment to Boston to board the ship.

Just called HAL ( 9 AM 10/2) and was told " sailing is still scheduled as planned". When I told agent it was physically impossible, she checked with her supervisor who came back with the same response. They said all passengers would be notified of any changes.

I suspect management is waiting for today's tests before making any decision.

Just noticed another blogger had same response. I also sent them an email to document this fiasco of " customer service"

Edited by lbkjj

Just called HAL ( 9 AM 10/2) and was told " sailing is still scheduled as planned". When I told agent it was physically impossible, she checked with her supervisor who came back with the same response. They said all passengers would be notified of any changes.

I suspect management is waiting for today's tests before making any decision.

So they are really planning on the 6 day cruise :( , they simply don't want to cancel 7 days if the ship can make a 6 day cruise...lots of revenue on the line here...

All those pax flying to Boston ( or riding, or whatever ...) who are not aware...hotel will be expensive Saturday night near the port and the airport.

Only the oblivious ones...:)

Not so oblivious.

If I hadn't read Cruise Critic all week, I would not have known. I live in Boston and have sailed from here often. It wouldn't occur to me the ship wouldn't be there to board on Saturday and I would head to the port as scheduled. I wouldn't even have thought to go to the HAL site to see if there was a 'travel advisory'. It isn't like there's a hurricane blowing up the coast that would put people on alert.

I wonder how many TA's have been informed in order for them to tell their clients?

Not so oblivious.

If I hadn't read Cruise Critic all week, I would not have known. I live in Boston and have sailed from here often. It wouldn't occur to me the ship wouldn't be there to board on Saturday and I would head to the port as scheduled. I wouldn't even have thought to go to the HAL site to see if there was a 'travel advisory'. It isn't like there's a hurricane blowing up the coast that would put people on alert.

I wonder how many TA's have been informed in order for them to tell their clients?

Good point. I booked directly through HAL, so no TA in the middle to notify. This is almost getting comical on their part claiming we are sailing as scheduled.

Bill

So they are really planning on the 6 day cruise :( , they simply don't want to cancel 7 days if the ship can make a 6 day cruise...lots of revenue on the line here...

All those pax flying to Boston ( or riding, or whatever ...) who are not aware...hotel will be expensive Saturday night near the port and the airport.

I bet you are right - and I'm sure HAL will cover the cost of those nights, if needed, but what a logistic and Customer Relations challenge.

I'm betting you that there is a swat team formed at HAL to deal with this, and there are already contingency plans in place. But, I doubt that information has been released to the end-user support reps. Like most corporate escalations, I imagine HAL wants one communication to go out once they make a final decision. Finding each passenger who will need to be informed is going to be crazy. I feel for the poor person who may be greeting individuals at the pier.

Good point. I booked directly through HAL, so no TA in the middle to notify. This is almost getting comical on their part claiming we are sailing as scheduled.

Bill

I also book directly with HAL.

Did they notify you individually? Your PCC? An e-mail?

I bet you are right - and I'm sure HAL will cover the cost of those nights, if needed, but what a logistic and Customer Relations challenge.

I'm betting you that there is a swat team formed at HAL to deal with this, and there are already contingency plans in place. But, I doubt that information has been released to the end-user support reps. Like most corporate escalations, I imagine HAL wants one communication to go out once they make a final decision. Finding each passenger who will need to be informed is going to be crazy. I feel for the poor person who may be greeting individuals at the pier.

I would venture many flew into Boston today and will tomorrow, will be at their individual, privately booked hotels and will not know Veendam is not in Boston until they arrive at the dock.

My guess is there is a team of shore ops people coming from FLL to Boston to aid in the arrangements all these people will need.

I also book directly with HAL.

Did they notify you individually? Your PCC? An e-mail?

No notification period. I am an interliner, but I really doubt that makes any difference in this case. I read about it here on the boards. I am 4 star with HAL, but that doesn't seem to make any difference either. I am in the official dark and I just made a hotel reservation for Saturday night also "just in case".

No notification period. I am an interliner, but I really doubt that makes any difference in this case. I read about it here on the boards. I am 4 star with HAL, but that doesn't seem to make any difference either. I am in the official dark and I just made a hotel reservation for Saturday night also "just in case".

Very, very sorry for all who apparently will not sail as planned. We sailed Veendam last August and were pleasantly surprised how nice we found Veendam after all these years and despite the horrid Retreat. Hopefully, you'll sail Sunday. If you get to Charlottetown, Halifax, Bar Harbor and Quebec City, you'll get the great ports. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Well, just talked to another rep at HAL and she said they expected news by noon Pacific time and we would be getting emails or calls. I expect they are waiting on testing before making the final call. She said to look for an email or I could call back about noon.

Bill

Well, just talked to another rep at HAL and she said they expected news by noon Pacific time and we would be getting emails or calls. I expect they are waiting on testing before making the final call. She said to look for an email or I could call back about noon.

Bill

Well the good news is that the reps are not saying the cruise will leave as scheduled anymore...

WOW..noon Pacific, that's 3pm here on the east coast...

If the Veendam was to leave at 3pm, she would be ready to leave Boston somewhere around midnight Sunday night...at best !

Edited by sebas030

The lack communication and accurate information from HAL to booked customers is appalling. The least they could do is put hourly updates on their website, and make sure all reps are kept informed so they can pass on the information.

Wow, mark down this date and time.

I agree with you. :D

Just got an email from HAL. October 4 cruise is cancelled. 100% refund and 100% credit for future bookings. Now I wonder if we are going on the 11th....

I'm disappointed for you.

Refund 100% I get but am not sure what 100% credit for future bookings means. Book any other 7 day cruise for free? That would be nice.

I'm disappointed for you.

Refund 100% I get but am not sure what 100% credit for future bookings means. Book any other 7 day cruise for free? That would be nice.

That's what it meant last week for the 1 cancelled cruise. 100% refund and one other cruise free.