V1& 2 cabins on Viking Star

tipsygirl

I agree.....We are taking an Azamara cruise in November 2015 and there is a complete list of ports and times on the website now. Plus what excursions are available for purchase. I understand due to the nature of cruising these times and docking facilities are subject to change but at least you get an idea....

We also are taking a cruise next fall, but on Crystal. Crystal has arrival and departure times for each port posted. This will be our 4th cruise with them and when they post an itinerary, usually about 2 years out, they also post port times. From our experience The times have only changed due to weather conditions during the cruise. They also post tours a number of months ahead of sailing and allow reservations once final payment has been made. We take advantage of the discount for making final payment 6 months ahead of sailing, so we can reserve at that time. Not clear at all why things are so different for Viking on the port times issue, as well as their decision on how to handle tour bookings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is the response I received from Viking regarding my request for port times. This response is ridiculous in my opinion. What if you booked directly with Viking?

Nautical schedules are not released as they are subject to adjustment. We recommend using your personal travel agent for assistance roughly 90 days prior to your cruise tour. If your agent needs specific information we can only provide it to them on your behalf.

You're right, that is ridiculous. It's my understanding that 'nautical' schedules aren't really that subject to adjustment, in fact ports are pretty regimented when it comes to ships coming in and out. The pilots need to be scheduled, the dock workers, customs clearance, etc., and the berths are paid for by the hour, aren't they? Not to mention sailing time between ports. No, it should certainly have all been worked out somewhere by now.

We've also been on dozens of ocean cruises and seen port times posted two years out with minimal change. The only time they've been altered is for oddities like medical emergencies, hurricanes, and once a big bomb event in Belfast. I think Viking just doesn't know their 'nautical' audience yet. We're different than the river cruisers, who are a group of about 100, content to just hop off and follow the lollipop in each adorable hamlet they tie up in on the river. We're certainly happy with that when we do a river cruise.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wing it. I really, really want to do that private excursion in Santorini. I may just make up port times and hope for the best. :eek:

Edited by amyr

That's a tour we'd be interested in if you want to share :-) I'm a retired Architectural Photographer.

You've got it Bear. Hey - aren't you the one that had a PDF of port times way back when? The one that said we'd be at Kusadasi from noon until 6?

I have sent Viking Ocean's a request for a detailed itinerary and a more compershesive description , including prices of the excursions available for purschase for the April 11, 2015 sailing of The Star. I will let you know the response.

Kathy

Kathy, I'll be waiting to hear what their response is! I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'll bet you'll get the same "nautical schedules are so fluid we can't pin them down" type message that Terrier received.

My reply from Viking! No real answers to my questions!

Thank you for your recent online inquiry.

All details we have available are posted on our website, first the general itinerary where we offer links (marked in red type) you can click to see the description of each excursion (including optional excursions). You can review this link by clicking the following: http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/eastern-mediterranean/empires-mediterranean/itinerary.html?return=true. Prices are not offered at this time but they will be provided closer to your embarkation date. Further details will be found on the following link a bit closer to the start date of your cruise tour; http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/passenger_documentation/2015/EmpiresoftheMedv2015.pdf.

And we are a D5 cat cabin so for dining reservations I received this information:

To clarify the dining experience based on your stateroom category, we have the following details to offer; you will have the opportunity to make reservations 60 days prior to your scheduled day of embarkation, all based on availability in each restaurant. You also have the option to walk in to any restaurant and wait to be seated. There are a total of 4 restaurants, 11 locations that also serve food plus the room service, all are listed below. Contact your personal travel agent for your specified date to call them to make said reservations as this request will come through your agent handling your booking

I have asked Viking Oceans a number of times about an online reservation system but never get an answer.....

Edited by kathy9
spelling

Well, we got an email this morning introducing Captain Gulleik Svalastog, complete with a five minute video! Maybe we can ask him about the port times? I'll be he knows where to find the information :D

I have asked Viking Oceans a number of times about an online reservation system but never get an answer.....

Does this mean the TA has to make my reservations? What if you booked direct with Viking? How are you suppose to make a reservation when you don't even know what is available?

I don't think that a ship of 900 passengers will be a problem in Ephasus, since much larger cruise ships call there so that local infrastructure is in place. That is true for other ports of call as well. I plan to stick with the included tours, although a smaller and more personal experience would be nice. I do think that now that voyage 1 of the star is less than six months away, they should make and publish more details soon.

Here is what I received from my Viking agent this week regarding optional tours and arrival and departure times in ports on our cruise in June of 2016:

"The cost of the optional tours should be out within a few weeks hopefully. I was told November most likely. Same thing for arrival and departure times in ports (as above answer)"

Not sure we are all getting the same story but wish you all the best.

After aggressively seeking more clarification on tours, port times, dining arrangements, etc. from Viking through our travel agent we have cancelled our 2015 Viking Homelands cruise and requested a refund. We will watch Viking Ocean over the next year to see how their management style re cruise information is received. After sailing for over 35 years we have never before experienced so little information from a cruise line and so little understanding of our concern. Good luck to all who stay the course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with Bear Music ....Wow! I understand your fustration but from what I hear of the Viking Company I can not help but think they will get it together. Keep reading these boards and we will keep posting. Good luck.

Kathy

Oh dear, tipsygirl, that's too bad. That's one of the reasons we booked the cheapest cabin, so I wouldn't have to worry that we were overspending on the unknown. Of course, we booked the maiden voyage, which is fraught with peril in and of itself :) It will, hopefully, be a grand adventure, but we're expecting a thing or two to go wrong. Don't worry, if they never give us our port times or any of the other things we're worried about here, we'll scream long and loud afterwards and I'm sure they'll change it up by the time you're ready to book again.

We all are at least six months out from our trips. Many times people don't even book a cruise more than 6 months out. I seriously believe we will all be fed and be fed well on our cruise. If you want a coffee pot and your cabin doesn't have one, bring your own. We have done that for years. If you are worried about excursions, book a private guide. Chances are you will be able to book one now and change the exact time later (closer to the actual sailing date). For sure in Berlin and Russia, we have full days in port and we can schedule easily for those places. 90% of everything we worry about never happens. I just don't think Viking is going to launch an entire new product without putting major thought and planning behind it! When we are all cruising through the Norwegians fjords or up the River Thames and looking at all the beauty which surrounds us on a BRAND NEW beautiful ship, we are going to be so glad we made the trip . Happy sailing to everyone!!

When I booked a V-2 cabin on the April 11 maiden voyage from Istanbul, it was mostly just to see how a new cruise line and a new ship manage the complex problems of start-ups. I am ready for anything. I know we will all be well fed no matter where we dine, and the included excursions may well be a bit rushed, but no different than most cruise ship excursions, and since we have been to many of the ports we were not too worried about that. Yes, I expect there to be glitches, and room for improvement, but I have never been on a maiden voyage and that is something I have on my bucket list. I purchased by airfare on my own now that the construction process seems to be on or ahead of schedule. I am sure that we will have a lot of fun, inspite of not knowing every detail of the trip prior to boarding. Travel is an adventure, and sometimes the unexpected things that happen make the trip more interesting.

I am ready for anything. I know we will all be well fed no matter where we dine...I have never been on a maiden voyage and that is something I have on my bucket list...I am sure that we will have a lot of fun, inspite of not knowing every detail of the trip prior to boarding. Travel is an adventure, and sometimes the unexpected things that happen make the trip more interesting.

That was EXACTLY my position when I persuaded the CEO that this was the journey for us. Frankly, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. We're still nearly 6 months out, air is paid for and booked, cruise is paid for and booked, I have a calendar reminder to get my Visa, the rest is just icing on the cake.

It'll all work out!

Many tour companies in St. Petersburg that can handle your shore excursions for you. Many are discussed here in CC. They all can provide you with Visa and private tours if you want. If you are sleeping aboard the ship and in town less than 72 hours they can do it for you. They also will send the paperwork for leaving the port. You also can make reservations with them when they become available. I was worried about this too as I have booked in a cabin that does not allow prebooking. When I board on Saturday and they tell me the shore excursions for St. Petersburg are already booked for our arrival on Tuesday. I would not be happy. Better a secure alternative than a disappointment. I doubt I will get to St. Petersburg again.

I have checked with a company about a two day excursion. Tuesday, Catherine's Palace is closed and that would be the first day our port time, when that stop is planned. When I questioned them about it, they said they would just go there the next day.

Many tour companies in St. Petersburg that can handle your shore excursions for you. Many are discussed here in CC. They all can provide you with Visa and private tours if you want. If you are sleeping aboard the ship and in town less than 72 hours they can do it for you. They also will send the paperwork for leaving the port. You also can make reservations with them when they become available. I was worried about this too as I have booked in a cabin that does not allow prebooking. When I board on Saturday and they tell me the shore excursions for St. Petersburg are already booked for our arrival on Tuesday. I would not be happy. Better a secure alternative than a disappointment. I doubt I will get to St. Petersburg again.

I have checked with a company about a two day excursion. Tuesday, Catherine's Palace is closed and that would be the first day our port time, when that stop is planned. When I questioned them about it, they said they would just go there the next day.

We are on the July 25 Viking Homeland. I looked into Alla and SPB. I don't know which to chose. Have you decided?

Many tour companies in St. Petersburg that can handle your shore excursions for you.

You seem to be talking about Viking River Cruises. WE'RE talking about the new Viking Oceans Cruises, which have yet to christen their first ship, the Viking Star. Some of us are on the Maiden Voyage, leaving Istanbul next spring on April 11th.

I suppose some of the experiences carry over, but the main reason for angst here is that some folks are worried that we don't have more details on port arrival times and optional excursions and so forth. Then, some of us are sorta' laid back about the whole experience, enjoying the excitement of being the first passengers of a brand new line :-)