To have a balcony or not to have a balcony, that is the ?

brideoct12

We have been on 20 cruises. For the first 10 or so we were always happy with an inside cabin. I always said what difference does it make to only sleep and change in the room. Then we tried an outside cabin and loved being able to look outside. Last year for a Christmas present our daughter presented us with a 5night cruise and OUR FIRST BALCONY. We are hooked now! Nothing like sitting out on a private balcony and relaxing with nobody around but the big blue sea. My husband and I don't sleep that well and quite often strolled out in the middle of the night to listen to the waves. Tomorrow we are leaving for a 7n on the Conquest. It will be our first aft balcony. Can't wait!!!

Tomorrow we are leaving for a 7n on the Conquest. It will be our first aft balcony. Can't wait!!!

You may never leave the balcony..Awesome view of the wake. Full Moon even makes it more special. September 17th.

Would say enjoy your cruise, but you may not see the rest of the ship. Better to say enjoy your cabin and your balcony.

Jimbo:)

I had a balcony once. I thought it was nice to sit out there and read, but it seemed that everything I wanted to see was on the other side of the ship. I think an Alaskan cruise would be a have to have, but a caribbean trip does not mandate a balcony.

I love balcony cabins so much that I won't stay at a HOTEL any more that doesn't have a balcony! You can become that spoiled after only 1 balcony cruise. We have the legendary 9078 on the Jewel on April 22, 2006 for our 15th. Can't wait. I really tried to think of a drawback but can't come up with one!:D

I do a lot of research to find the ship and price and the right time of sailing for us to have a balcony! this is what cruising is all about to me! I love to unwind after a day in port with a drink in my hand on my balcony. So relaxing to have that little space that is yours, to smell the ocean air when you want and not have to leave the comfort of home(well home for the week). I can't walk up on deck in my underware or towel but I can on my balcony! Sea days are the best though with a balcony! Sunsets hugging your wife with a glass of wine, yea you know what is going to follow...hehehe If this is not the best form of romantic 4-play I don't know what is! LOL

Try reading a book out there and your hooked like my DW! :D

bobbi2.jpg.8fe99bc145df60f462da60d6e2ee8271.jpg

I just booked my 3rd HAL cruise for next year ('06) on a CC group cruise (Hallo-We'en-Dam) because an aft balcony on the Navigator deck was available when I called the TA! And I haven't even been in an aft balcony yet! The other two HAL cruises I booked (Feb. & July) in that location when the TA told me how fabulous those were...and having the same cabin available (albeit a sister ship) decided the deal for me!

This is a serious illness!!!! :D

Paul

I would need to agree with the most other posters. The balcony is a very important part of the trip for my wife and I. We don't spend a ton of time on it but when we want some quiet time there seems to be no other spot on the ship. I understand budgets, we have postponed vacations to get a balcony or upgraded cabins. I figure you only go around once.

I would need to agree with the most other posters. The balcony is a very important part of the trip for my wife and I. We don't spend a ton of time on it but when we want some quiet time there seems to be no other spot on the ship. I understand budgets, we have postponed vacations to get a balcony or upgraded cabins. I figure you only go around once.

I agree with brian and most of the other posters. Our first cruise was our wedding and honeymoon on the Conquest. We booked a category 8 balcony and were upgraded to a category 11 suite with a balcony. Real nice!! We loved it so much! We booked a category 12 our next cruise on the Holiday 3/27/2006. We couldn't stand the thought of not having a balcony or been in a small room. It's all about what kind of cruise you want? We live in Mobile so we want have the hotel and parking to budget. It is $2107.15 for both of us. We spent alot more staying in New OrLeans for two nights at the Riverside Hilton and parking for a week. Good Luck!

Kerry

Hi

Balcony cabins are fantastic. DH/I had one in July for our 10th anniversary and we loved it! We had breakfast out there almost every morning, watched a sunrise, sunset, full moon, rainbow, docking at various ports, had wine out there one afternoon, etc. Granted it was more money but since this was a dream for our 10th anniversary (vow renewal as well) we did it and actually got a good deal since I did a lot of research. We were on Voyager (9-day cruise) as well and ended up on Deck 9.

Everyone has different opinions of having a balcony or no balcony. Depending on the cruise line, location of the cabin, personal preference, etc. it can be very expensive. It's a matter if you want to spend the extra money compared to an oceanview, promenade or inside. Also it depends where you are going, how long the cruise is and what time frame during the year.

I have to admit, we loved the balcony and it was so peaceful if we wanted to sit out there and read or just have time alone. If you can afford the balcony then do it.

Where is your cabin located on Deck 8?

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful cruise and enjoy. Voyager is amazing!

C ya!

We just recently took our first cruise and had a balcony. Wow!! I'd rather space my cruises farther apart to be able to have a balcony, then to go more often in an inside cabin. Actually, I'd never go without a balcony!

Gotta have the balcony. Love watching sunrises and sunsets, eating breakfast out there, or just relaxing after a day in port before dinner.

I love the people that say "who needs a window or balcony - how much time do you spend in the cabin anyway. Just use it to sleep and get dressed". If I was stuck in an inside cabin I wouldn't want to spend ANY time in there!!! For me thats just claustrophobic. With a balcony, you just double your options for enjoying the scenary!!!

IF you have the money the balcony is the way to go. I've been on cruises w/ inside cabins and out. Balconies are not a necessity but worth the extra money, even if it is $500 per person. If it means the difference on going on a cruise or staying home it's not worth it.

If you get one make sure to take adavantage of it. Get room service breakfast EVERY morning you can, and have breakfast on the balcony with your spouse / "sig other", it's an amazing way to start the day. Have a before dinner cocktail on the balcony (make time for it) when you can. There have been countless times being on the balcony have offered a once in a lifetime view, entering / departing ports. I even saw and video'd "flying fish" once while standing on the balcony waiting for my wife to finish getting dressed. If you're not into the nightlife, have a bottle of wine and unwind in the evening on the balcony. ENDLESS possibilities. There are so many extras we pay for that are not worth it, this one is. ... If you get one make sure to use it.

We booked the Jewel out of Boston on October 12, this year. It is an inside for $799.00 for 10 days. The price of the balcony was $1,799. for the same cruise. As we already have taken one cruise this year , I felt that the inside would be fine. If we had to have a balcony we wouldnt have been able to go.

Would I prefer a balcony? SURE -but I dont borrow money to cruise. Hope this helps and have fun no matter what.

We had balcony on our Alaskan Cruise & it was worth the difference to us. Coffee at sunrise with D.O. yes Room Service cheese/cracker veggies, wine at sunset oh yeah

(Sunset came quite late in Alaska!

Just booked western carribean - with balcony

Balcony is a MUST! My first cruise was inside cabin. Second cruise port hole windows. Third cruise was a balcony. Hooked - seriously hooked! Get a balcony!

The nights are the best. You can sit out there in your jammies with a nightcap and your sweetheart enjoying the cruise with privacy. I now have coffee delivered to the stateroom at 630am to allow myself time to wakeup on the balcony while SO sleeps. It is so worth the few extra bucks. Make sure you request a port side cabin so you can watch the ship dock early in the morning. Some of my best memories cruising come from early morning docking and late evening departures. It is so neat to wave to people you will never see again but yet somehow have touched your heart. You won't regret getting a balcony, trust me!

Susan

I love balcony cabins so much that I won't stay at a HOTEL any more that doesn't have a balcony! You can become that spoiled after only 1 balcony cruise. We have the legendary 9078 on the Jewel on April 22, 2006 for our 15th. Can't wait. I really tried to think of a drawback but can't come up with one!:D

Getting ready for the 360 degree spin in front of the pitons on board the Serenade ots. Champagne!

Started on deck 2(under-inside) and on our way up-up & away!

Deck seven is next! Balcony-balcony and more balcony!

Enjoy.

We are taking our 3rd cruise in Oct and we have never had a balcony. We always have a nice room(deck 8 promenade) but the upcoming cruise is 10 days and I was thinking it would be nice to have a balcony. Are there any cons to having a balcony besides the price being a little higher? What part of the ship is best for a balcony room? By the way we will be on Voyager if the Seas and right now we ave a deck 8 promanade booked.

There's no way we would take a cruise without a balcony. It's incredible. You can sleep with the door open to the sound of the water, you can walk outside at dawn and feel the wind on your face in your PJ's while you watch the sunrise, with nothing but vast ocean in front of you, you can have breakfast on your balcony, or coffee, or wine, and just be by yourselves with the water and wind, and if you want to sit outside with no one else around, you have your own space. To me it would almost be a waste of money to go without a balcony.

Our last cruise was the baja deck on the Golden Princess, mid-ship, which was great. Our next cruise is the aloha deck on the Coral Princess. As far as cons, the one downside of having a balcony stateroom instead of a minisuite with balcony, is that the deck on the regular balcony stateroom is small, and only fits chairs, instead of chaise loungers, so you can't lie down, you can only sit. The other con is that it's not 100% private. Although the balcony staterooms mostly have dividers between them, sometimes the people above you can look down onto your balcony, and, you can hear everything said on the balconies next to you if the people are not talking quietly, and, if people on the neighboring balconies smoke, and you're not a smoker, it easily blows your way.

Even with those cons, it's totally worth it!

I am one that has never had a balcony either....I love the DARKNESS of the inside cabins when you are ready to sleep! But, we are waiting for our catalog to come for some Hawaiian cruise possibilities (Spring 2007) - I am thinking that we may just go ahead and try the balcony for Hawaii! I am a little afraid to - can I afford to be addicted?!? :D

:D I'm looking at bringing some string lights (patio lanterns) for our next cruise. It'll be our first with a balcony. Any experiences or obstacles that would be helpfull to know???? These are going to be the shape of little cruise ships!! I think plastic tie straps with self-adhesive mounts will work perfectly!!! :D

Replys anticipated.

Regards, Cptn. Heimlich.

Archived