To have a balcony or not to have a balcony, that is the ?

brideoct12

We did a western caribbean cruise last month and had a lovely balcony room. However, it was so warm and muggy outside that we usually didn't stay out very long. The AC was just soooo much more comfortable. So next time we will probably save some money and book an oceanview.

I always pack a small pair of binoculars and keep them by the door to the balcony. Last cruise I caught sight of a whale breeching. I love my balcony and I'll NEVER give it up. I wake earilier than the rest of the family and go out on the balcony to read, we use the balcony every morning & evening while the others are showering and dressing - -it gives them more room. A cocktail on the balcony is a must before dinner as well.

I may be a little late responding, but here is another consideration for picking a balcony cabin: try to ascertain whether your balcony is right over a life/tender boat. We were quite surprised to see a crewman walking right in front of our open balcony door one day! He was washing the lifeboat that was directly below us.

I just went on my first cruise last August on Enchantment. We had a balcony cabin and were wondering exactly how much time we would really spend there. We were out there constantly!!!!

We just loved going up to the windjammer in the morning and getting some coffee and danish and just sitting out there. We are now booked for Explorer in June and we booked a OS. My DH almost wanted to book a GS because the balcony is larger even though it's a smaller cabin (still can't figure that one out). He was actually trying to figure out how to put a hammock out there. Can you say "man....overboard"!!! Ha!Ha!

I just feel what's the point of being on the ocean if you can't walk out there and feel the breeze!! I guess it depends on what your priorities are.

I say, if you can afford it....go for it!!!

Balconies are great. We had one on our last cruise. Would I get one every time? Probably not. We almost felt compelled to spend more time in our cabin and on our balcony, and that's just not my idea of a cruise.

To each their own, and I'm sure you'll find many differing opinions on this one!

Fixing to book the Serenade of the Seas departing San Juan on 04/22/06. We have never had a balcony and would love some feedback prior to booking. Pics, suggested cabin numbers, etc... This will be our 5th cruise and we have decided to "go for it"! How private are these balconies anyways? I am sure the wife will want to sunbathe.

Fixing to book the Serenade of the Seas departing San Juan on 04/22/06. We have never had a balcony and would love some feedback prior to booking. Pics, suggested cabin numbers, etc... This will be our 5th cruise and we have decided to "go for it"! How private are these balconies anyways? I am sure the wife will want to sunbathe.

I suggest that you check the RC board; there is probably quite a bit of info there already. If not, then I'd re-post this over there.

Hey there....on our Honeymoon 11August 01, we were spoiled from the start....our TA, a personal friend got us a balcony on deck 8 Enchantment of The Seas. Grrrrreat cabin....last year, we sailed with the whole clan, got 2 cabins (inside) on the dawn.....I was soooo lost w/o the balcony, my DB(my own abbreviation Darling Bride) and I swore then, we will ALWAYS sail with a balcony, no matter what. We're sailing in April on Navigator of the seas and have cabin 1694....AFT Balcony JS for a 7 day cruise....Yeah !!!!!

I hope you always enjoy your balcony and your cruise!

Rob

If you want to know how private the balconies are read the thread called "nude showers poolside and other horrible stories"

• 1 year later...

None that I know of - the partitions are really easy to look around. I wouldn't think someone would be trying to look into the cabin but if you are parading around in you birthday suit on the balcony you will probably be seen.

If you want to know how private the balconies are read the thread called "nude showers poolside and other horrible stories"

where is this post?:confused:

I am one that has never had a balcony either..

..I love the DARKNESS of the inside cabins when you are ready to sleep!

Me too!

Our small inside cabin was downright cozy, I found.

We didn't miss the porthole/view-window,

but then our cruise was only a short 4-day affair.

When we booked cheap, I thought I might miss a window of sorts

but then I found the cabin so cozy and private I really didn't miss it.

Reckoned the wife might miss it more than I would,

so I quizzed her once or twice.....did she miss a view?

and she said no.

We have had an inside (once was enough), oceanviews and balconies and I would have to say a balcony is great, but so is a window. It depends a lot on where you are going. If you're going to the Caribbean during hurricane season (or any warm season), you're probably not going to want to go outside since it's so hot and muggy. Alaska is perfect for balconies, if it doesn't rain the whole time. We have done two voyages to Alaska, one with a balcony, one with oceanview. We enjoyed the oceanview more since we actually got out on the deck while cruising Glacier Bay. It just wouldn't have been the same on a balcony.

Balconies are great for the views regardless, but I'm just happy to be cruising and as long as I can see out, I'm fine. If the difference is small, I'd certainly go for a balcony. But I would rather spend $1000+ on other things and go out on the deck to see the sights.

Kate

Hi there! I have been on about 10 cruises. Last year we took a trip on the boat you are taking and it was the first time we had a balcony. My travel agent convinced me to upgrade to a balcony for a few dollars more. She told me that once I had stayed in a balcony room, I wouldn't want to ever go back to and inside or outside room. Well, she was absolutely right! I loved it. I am getting ready to go on another trip this July to Hawaii with my partner and we are booked with a balcony. It's worth the extra money if you can swing it! Have a great trip and let me know what you think of the boat. It's huge!!!!!

Hii to all...I'm travelling on the Carnival Miracle with a large group in late June...I've done insides and ocenaviews,,,have always paid for insides and have been fortunate to get upgraded to oceanview most times,,,but THIS time my absolutely wonderful TA was able to swing an 8A cabin # 4225...for me (what stinks is that I'll probably be going alone because the SO is having "issues")but besides that,,,can anyone tell me if this is a great cabin? good cabin? bad cabin? in any case thanks for the imput.....can't wait to see the sunrise from my balcony,,,,does it matter if the balcony is on the main deck compared to the upper decks?

I love the balcony! I have had all three, and I have to say there is nothing better than just sitting in your balcony and enjoying the sunrise and the sunset. My favorite are the wrap around or aft balcony. I think that the extra money for a window or a balcony is worth it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have never had a balcony, so I cannot comment on the frequently said "Once you have had a balcony, you will never want to be without one.

However, my theory is that I love to cruise as often as I can. I do like to know the difference between day and night, so I want at least a partially obstructed outside. However, that being said, everyone has the run of the ship and access to great public viewing places and public outside decks. I would rather cruise four times a year in my "lesser" cabin than splurge on just one or two cruises. As a case in point, we are booked on a 15 day LA to Hawaii cruise next week; a one week Mexican Riviera cruise in December; a 16 night South American and Antarctic cruise in February, and a 7 night cruise RT from Venice in May. All but the last one are in obstructed OV, and for the 7 day one I am taking a chance on an inside cabin.

We are retired, and the more often I can cruise, the better I like it!

My wife and I are on the 8-20-07 Crown Princess Northern Europe cruise including St. Petersburg, Russia. It will be a 10 night cruise from Copenhagen. Since this is port intensive, we decided to go for an inside cabin. We usually are in a balcony cabin, but won't use it this time due to the 50-60s weather. We'll see how we like the inside cabin. Have a great day everyone, George

Archived