OneOcean Expeditions - Akademik Ioffe

jazcat

We were on Sergey Vavilov earlier this year with One Ocean and had a wonderful trip. Expedition style ship so not fancy but comfy and great atmosphere. Can recommend the company.

With regards to your other query about hotels we stayed at Hosteria Valle Frio which is family run small place but wonderful and just a little quirky. Homemade pastries/cakes with breakfast plus homemade jams. Not expensive either and not on Main Street so quiet but close enough to walk to town, museums etc. Very pleasant pre/post trip stay.

Just wondering if anyone has ever sailed on the Akademik Ioffe, or its sister ship the Akademik Sergey Vavilov, to Antarctica? We are looking at a Polar Circle cruise with them, other internet info seems good.

I have friends who have worked for many seasons on both and also I have sailed with ladies who go on either at least annually. Both ships are very beloved by the regulars who sail on them.

They are very much in the expedition style of old - not the luxury that has crept in in recent years.

So if you are chasing glossy glamorous cabins etc - these wont suit you - but if you want true expedition adventure - grab an itinerary on either !

We got a lot of luxury on our cruise with Oceania (my first ever cruise vacation) last September. What a way to start out on cruise ships. But that is not why we are going to Antarctica and expedition style sounds good to me.

Now I have to start reading up so I can get in the Antarctica mode.