Hurtigruten Fram Antarctica Cruise

MMDown Under

I know that not everyone agrees with me, but we have done the National Park tour twice and were underwhelmed both times. Being driven around in a coach with 40+ others with, consequently, no opportunity to influence where and for how long we stop isn't the way we prefer to take tours like that. Add in that the scenery, in our opinion, isn't particularly outstanding, we will be doing something different next time.

I have done this tour once (on my second trip) and I have to say my experience is pretty similar. I don't think it is really worth it considering what you will see during the trip.

For the first trip we just walked around Ushuaia and I have a much more positive experience than you had, but then the weather was nice and I think the shops were open (although I didn't shop). Climbing up the streets with their colored houses overlooking the Beagle Channel was really something I enjoyed. And then we visited the Maritime Museum, which is really nice if you are interested in maritime history (although many things about the history of Patagonia/Tierra Del Fuego and their discoveries and explorations).

Thank you MMDownUnder for the great review!

Hi Marion

Thanks for your great review. Fram is amongst a few of others on my 'wishlist' for Antarctica, and your comments have just pushed it up a few places. My main worry was the amount of passengers, but it looks like that's not an issue, so thanks again :)

Fram is amongst a few of others on my 'wishlist' for Antarctica, and your comments have just pushed it up a few places. My main worry was the amount of passengers, but it looks like that's not an issue, so thanks again :)

The number of passengers on Fram has never been an issue for us on any of our trips on her. Rather than the theoretical 300+ 'capacity' and the 250+ 'beds', we have found that she never carries more than around 200 and, checking a group photograph, I could only count 141 on one trip.

The landings are very carefully thought out and we have always had more than enough time ashore on each of the two landings each day.

Thank you SarnioLo and Digitl for your comments re Tierra del Fuego. We had also wondered about that and we had heard that Ushuaia was a lovely town to look around so we are going to do that now that you've assured me about luggage! We return to Ushuaia in 2017 on a round Sth America trip so will organise a private tour in the surrounding area then.

Many thanks Wendy and David

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you SarnioLo and Digitl for your comments re Tierra del Fuego. We had also wondered about that and we had heard that Ushuaia was a lovely town to look around so we are going to do that now that you've assured me about luggage! We return to Ushuaia in 2017 on a round Sth America trip so will organise a private tour in the surrounding area then.

Just to be absolutely clear about arrangements for luggage...

Each time we have arrived in Ushuaia, Hurtigruten have had a number of buses outside the airport arrivals and we have been directed to the bus appropriate for what we were to do next. Large luggage (and carry-on if we wished, but we kept our cameras out!) was placed in the bus's luggage 'hold' and we were then taken either on the National Park tour or into Ushuaia.

Those not taking the National Park tour were driven around Ushuaia on the 'city tour' (the description has brought a smile to our faces each time) and then to a car park overlooking the harbour and close to the entrance to the port. Once there, we left our luggage on the bus and were free to explore until the time came to return and be driven into the port to board Fram. Note: it's not possible to walk into the port and board, the short distance has to be covered on the bus.

Hope that helps, but be aware that arrangements can change!

Edited by digitl

I'm pleased that SarnioLo and Digiti advised that they were underwhelmed by their bus trip to Tierra del Fuego. People I asked seemed to react the same way, but I didn't like to comment, as I hadn't been myself.

A lot depends on the weather. We arrived in Ushuaia on a glorious sunny summer day and enjoyed walking around the town. Note the town is built on the side of a hill, so some walking is up and down hills. Like a lot of cold places, there was a lot of footpath/road works going on, during their brief summer. On our return to Ushuaia, it was a miserable cold wet day so we were glad we were flying out on the early morning flight.

Yes I guess enjoying days out in these climes is very weather dependant more so than other ports, but as long as we can go to a museum or have a lunch somewhere we'll be fine, so thanks all for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll also add my name to the underwhelmed with the bus tour list. The park itself is pretty, but the tour fairly basic and I wasn't at all a fan of the train at the end of the world. If you're heading back anyway, a private guide should be much better!

If you are going to stay in town and the weather is nice then I'd recommend going up to the Marital Glacier - not for the glacier itself, as you're going to be seeing a lot of ice - but the views back down over the bay are gorgeous if it's a clear day.

It's really easy to pick up a taxi opposite the port to take you to the chair lift station, where depending on time and energy levels you can walk or get the lift up and back down. I took the chair both ways and there's a lovely little cafe opposite the chairlift station for lunch. There are also loads of taxis waiting to take people back into town or the cafe can call one for you if not and the whole round trip can be done in a couple of hours - if you walk will be longer.

Otherwise, while you can walk the main street very quickly without missing much, with the port behind you, follow the road around to the left for lovely views back across the bay and some pretty reflections.

Thanks Evio100 great suggestions.

MMDownunder, you mentioned in your review silk underwear and others have also mentioned how good it is. Where did you buy it in Oz, DJ's or Myers??

I bought mine in Century 21, Manhattan, davwent81.

I had read how great it is for travelling light on threads similiar to this one. I have vest tops, as well as long sleeves and long pants.

Everyone could put their name down on a list for a tour of the bridge (free), overnight camping, kayaking, polar cirkel boat rides, and hiking (additional charge). Excellent advice given to us was to put your name down on boarding. Only overnight camping was by ballot.

What do you mean "by ballot?" There was a random drawing to decide who got to go?

On my last trip to Antarctica (with a different company), there was a mix-up with my travel agent, and I did not get to go on the overnight camping. This is a big part of my reason to go back, so I want to be absolutely sure that (conditions permitting) I get to do it! I'm actually skipping over some great last-minute deals because their pre-booked camping excursions are already full.

I bought mine in Century 21, Manhattan, davwent81.

I had read how great it is for travelling light on threads similiar to this one. I have vest tops, as well as long sleeves and long pants.

Hi MMDown Under, just ordered some from NZ online, also got merino top for my husband as we lent all of his thermals to our grandson for a ski trip and its disappeared forever!!! Much more reasonably priced than here too.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to all who contribute to this site. Your tips are wonderful and so informative. I will surely have many more questions as time draws near. Our cruise now includes a one-night stay at a hotel in BA, no option anymore! I bought glove liners to wear with waterproof mittens but I take hundreds of photos. Will I even need the mittens? I have a waterproofs-wind proof coat with zip out liner by North Face. Will I also need or be required to wear the provided jacket? Did you find the boots were warm.....need sock liners or just wool socks. Did women wear skirts/dresses at dinner? Heels? Are there any safes in cabins? Any washers/dryers? Like I said, I'll likely have many more questions! Oh, we're there any or very many Americans on the ship? We are from Oklahoma, a land-locked state.

Barbara

The hotel night in Buenos Aires shouldn't be a problem: we usually fly in at least two days early to mitigate any problems with delays. We book our own pre-trip hotel and move to the 'inclusive' hotel just for the one night.

Mittens will be a problem with the camera. I wear gloves with 'flaps' in the index finger ends. They work for the camera, but can be a little cold after a while!

Depending on how warm your coat is, you may well not need the Hurtigruten jacket (which is windproof and waterproof but not especially warm). You certainly won't be required to wear it.

I wear two pairs of wool socks in the boots and have never had cold feet.

Women (and men) wear what hey want at dinner. Like the rest of the trip, it's not a dressy event. Heels? If you wish. But if things become a little rocky...

There are safes in the cabins.

Your sink is your washer. Your bathroom is your dryer. Make sure you keep the heated bathroom floor turned on. The red light outside is the clue.

We have always had Americans on the ship, along with Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, French, Germans, Chinese. You get the idea? No need to worry if there are no Americans. (Almost) Everyone talks to (almost) everyone else!

Can I ask a few more questions? I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect on board.

Does the Fram follow an open-door policy for the cabins?

I'm not terribly concerned with security (I typically left my iPad in the lounge all day without even thinking about it, since the cabins were unlocked anyway). I'm just curious.

Is there a mudroom?

I didn't see one on the deck plan, but I assume there's someplace to put boots and gear after landings? Or do you let them dry in the cabins?

Beyond nationality, what are the other passenger demographics?

My last sailing had a lot more younger and solo passengers than I was expecting. Around 25% were solo travelers in their 20s and 30s. Another 15% were solo passengers in their 40s and 50s. Perhaps 15% were 60+, and the remaining 45% were mostly couples in their 40s and 50s.

Also, to comment on the above questions, I wore waterproof mitts over glove liners that were thin enough to manipulate the camera controls. When I wasn't taking pictures, I could slip one or both mitts back on for the wind protection (nice to have), and then slip them off when I needed and just let them dangle from my wrists until I put them back on. They were especially nice to have for things like scooping up chunks of sea ice or looking at interesting rocks along the shoreline. (Mine were very similar to these but I wore them with a thinner glove liner underneath.)

For socks, I used REI's wool expedition socks, and they were fantastic. I also had the Smartwool expedition sock, but decided REI's were slightly better. They're very thick and plush. I typically wore them over a thinner sock liner, just to avoid blisters, since I have hard-to-fit feet that would need some time to get friendly with the borrowed boots.

The cabins door are locked and you need your cruise card to access your cabin at all time.

There is a place for storage of boots and life jackets after landing, just after you are back on board (it's part of where the car park is on other Hurtigruten ships), but you have to take your outer gear with you to your cabin and I have to say it is not the most convenient thing. For me the only thing Fram's cabin are lacking is a spot dedicated to wet outer gear. We put them in the bathroom. You have an allocated spot for your boots so you keep the same pair throughout the trip (but you have a different life jacket each time).

For gloves I usually have only glove liners on, or when it's very windy I have neoprene gloves with the tip that comes off as digitl mentionned. I use waterproof gloves over the liners only for the zodiac rides.

What do you mean "by ballot?" There was a random drawing to decide who got to go?

On my last trip to Antarctica (with a different company), there was a mix-up with my travel agent, and I did not get to go on the overnight camping. This is a big part of my reason to go back, so I want to be absolutely sure that (conditions permitting) I get to do it! I'm actually skipping over some great last-minute deals because their pre-booked camping excursions are already full.

Yes, only a small number were permitted to camp overnight. As more passengers applied than permitted to camp, there was a ballot for this activity only.

Hi MMDown Under, just ordered some from NZ online, also got merino top for my husband as we lent all of his thermals to our grandson for a ski trip and its disappeared forever!!! Much more reasonably priced than here too.

Pleased you were able to order silk underwear from NZ on line, as well as a merino top, at a reasonable price. I love NZ snow/winter gear.

BTW I wore four layers in Antarctica!

Thank you to all who contribute to this site. Your tips are wonderful and so informative. I will surely have many more questions as time draws near. Our cruise now includes a one-night stay at a hotel in BA, no option anymore! I bought glove liners to wear with waterproof mittens but I take hundreds of photos. Will I even need the mittens? I have a waterproofs-wind proof coat with zip out liner by North Face. Will I also need or be required to wear the provided jacket? Did you find the boots were warm.....need sock liners or just wool socks. Did women wear skirts/dresses at dinner? Heels? Are there any safes in cabins? Any washers/dryers? Like I said, I'll likely have many more questions! Oh, we're there any or very many Americans on the ship? We are from Oklahoma, a land-locked state.

Barbara

I found my mittens were useless for taking photos, so ended up just wearing leather gloves which I already owned.

Everyone wore the provided parka on my cruise. It is not lined, so you would need your zip out liner underneath.

Boots were warm and Cosy, so only one pair of woollen socks needed.

Yes some did wear skirts and tops, as well as dresses. No high heels.

Yes, safe in cabin. Ours was floor level, so we didn't use.

Paid laundry only available. Woolen clothes remain fresh in the cold (unlike in the heat and humidity). 1 special bag offer at end of cruise

there weren't many Americans on board. 17 nationalities, with largest group German (dual language cruise). Only 6 Australians!

We are just back from our Antarctica adventure!

I posted some notes on the Hurtigruten CC page, but wanted to thank everyone over here for the information before we left.

It was fantastic - there are not enough superlatives.

MMDownunder,

Thinking about doing this cruise in about two or three years but need to do some major saving up. Just wondering which flights/airlines you took to get to BA?

We flew Premium Economy with Qantas, which code shares with Lan Airlines. Qantas Sydney to Santiago, Lan Santiago to Buenos Aires Aeroparque Jorge Newbury. This is the domestic airport, which is close to the city, from which flights depart to Ushuaia, Argentina (where cruises depart).

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone finally getting down to final planning for our trip on Fram to Antarctica, Sth Georgia and the Falklands in Feb 2016 and thought I would ask some further questions to help with our planning as you've been such a great help up till now.

Sooooo,

1. When you booked the extra polarcirkel/kayaking trips on board did you get a choice of where you'd like to do this and if so do you have recommendations for which you enjoyed most?

2. I love taking photos with my iPhone as they are easily sent home, anyone used theirs and how did it work? Did you need to constantly put it back in your Warmer pockets?

3. Anyone had a cabin on Deck 3 aft under the kitchen area. And if so will we need earplugs to sleep?

4. What excursions would you recommend in The Falklands and Sth Georgia or can you do your own thing easily? If you did your own thing, what did you do?

5. We only arrive into BA at 5 pm the day before the trip officially begins in BA, would you think a request to Hurtigruten from our agent to have the later flight to Ushaiua (as know there are two one at 4.30 am and one at 7.30ish) as tAking the later one would be better for our sleep patterns after the 13 hours across from Australia. Anyone tried this?

6. Backing up photos, can you do this using the Internet computers on board to a USB or portable back up disc?

7. Do you get to meet any of your fellow travellers before getting to USHAUIA , at the hotel?

8. We have glove liners, will/possum gloves and waterproof gloves, shall we bring the lot? Would the first two be warm enough on land just using the waterproofs for the polarcirkels?

8. How warm are the cabins at night and can you get blankets instead of a doona on the beds?

9. We fly from BA to Iguazzu after disembarkation. Given the changes to air schedules we read about can you check these on board and can you print out boarding passes?

Thank you in advance for any help with these queries.

Cheers, Wendy and David