Sorting Through Various Cruises

ducklite

You should try the Silversea Explorer. We did and it fit the Luxury bill on the service, food and expedition side.

A "VIEW" room with a window was quite adequate (same size the Veranda). It is all inclusive. The only adder is the flight from BA to Ushuaia. Food and drink were excellent and staff knew everyone's name by end of day 2.

Paul, I've spent part of the afternoon looking a them and they seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Do you recall how much the airfare was on the charter?

I was surprised playing with it earlier that we can fly AA non-stop from MIA to Buenos Aries in business for only ~$3500 pp r/t. I paid half that in fees and fuel surcharges on my "free" BA flights next year to London. :eek:

My husband probably could. I'm in sales. No work means no sales means no income. Add to that once you lose a customer to someone else because you aren't there for them when they need you, you don't get them back.

That's all well and good, and if I were a typical corporate wage slave I'm sure it would be easier. When you are in sales in a highly competitive field, not being there could have long term implications and mean the loss of tens of thousands of dollars or more.

Additionally I have an elderly mother with a serious illness which will likely take her life within the next 2-4 years and three large dogs who don't react well to strangers. There are very limited people who can enter my home to care for them, so that is an issue as well.

It's not always so easy as just picking up and leaving, regardless of what country one lives in.

I understand that it is difficult to take leave when you work in sales or own a small business yourself. In addition, I understand family commitments.

However, because I have to travel long haul to get anywhere overseas, I'd prefer to travel at home, rather than travel overseas, for a rushed visit, which didn't meet my expectations. Some people are happy with shorter holidays and that is fine for them.

I understand that it is difficult to take leave when you work in sales or own a small business yourself. In addition, I understand family commitments.

However, because I have to travel long haul to get anywhere overseas, I'd prefer to travel at home, rather than travel overseas, for a rushed visit, which didn't meet my expectations. Some people are happy with shorter holidays and that is fine for them.

What the heck is your problem?

I have no reason for a longer visit. I want to spend a few days in Buenoa Aires and then cruise then go home.

You make a lot of assumptions, none of which are true.

I was specific about the type of cruise I wanted and your only advice was not even close to the type of ship I was looking for and then to try to knock on Americans about what you assumed was our leave--when you had no idea what our situation is. We get as much leave as you do--my husband actually gets seven weeks a year. It's impossible for me to take mine all at once--nor do I want to. I prefer to travel 2-3 times a year rather than once.

By the way, I'd stay home if Hurtigruten was the only option. Nasty looking cabins and ship.

There was absolutely nothing about the LAN Charter we took that could remotely be described as luxury. (Internal charter air was about $600 return in 2012.) Our seats were ordered by surname. I posted a review over in the Lindblad forum and the LAN flights were the only horrid part of the trip.

There was absolutely nothing about the LAN Charter we took that could remotely be described as luxury. (Internal charter air was about $600 return in 2012.) Our seats were ordered by surname. I posted a review over in the Lindblad forum and the LAN flights were the only horrid part of the trip.

My husband and I have different last names. Are you telling me we wouldn't be seated together?

What the heck is your problem?

I have no reason for a longer visit. I want to spend a few days in Buenoa Aires and then cruise then go home.

You make a lot of assumptions, none of which are true.

I was specific about the type of cruise I wanted and your only advice was not even close to the type of ship I was looking for and then to try to knock on Americans about what you assumed was our leave--when you had no idea what our situation is. We get as much leave as you do--my husband actually gets seven weeks a year. It's impossible for me to take mine all at once--nor do I want to. I prefer to travel 2-3 times a year rather than once.

By the way, I'd stay home if Hurtigruten was the only option. Nasty looking cabins and ship.

I am sorry you were offended by my comments. Please accept my apologies.

My husband and I have different last names. Are you telling me we wouldn't be seated together?

On our LAN charter, people who were traveling together were seated together. My spouse and I have different last names, and our seats were together. I can't speak to other flights, obviously.

Then you would miss a great trip.

Apologies if my suggestion fell so short but, as Turtles06 observed, ' first rate adventure should not be confused with "luxury" in the way you seem to be using that term ... Antarctica is about the experience, not the food or first class cabins on a charter flight'.

Then you would miss a great trip.

Apologies if my suggestion fell so short but, as Turtles06 observed, ' first rate adventure should not be confused with "luxury" in the way you seem to be using that term ... Antarctica is about the experience, not the food or first class cabins on a charter flight'.

Which is why we are strongly looking at SilverSea which will provide the expedition style cruise we seek with the level of comfort we need. I appreciate Turtle's candor in suggesting it. You don't need to travel in what looks like a floating 1970's Holiday Inn to visit Antarctica.

Edited by ducklite

On our LAN charter, people who were traveling together were seated together. My spouse and I have different last names, and our seats were together. I can't speak to other flights, obviously.

Thanks, that makes sense. In many cases you could have four people traveling together all with different last names, and it wouldn't make sense to scatter them about.

Don't quote me on that. It was likely done by the lead name on the reservation and the party was seated together. What we weren't permitted to do was sit with our newfound friends as our surnames are at opposite ends of the alphabet--even though we had chartered the whole plane.

As explained by Turtles, Lindblad certainly took care of us every step of the way but it was by no means at all the traditional definition of luxury. It's airline quality food because it has to be. The ship is perfectly suited to Antarctic ice but that's because it's a purposely modified car ferry.

The one time Lindblad had no control, that is the LAN charter, was complete chaos. We were packed in like sardines on the tarmac for a couple hours, at times denied the right to use the bathroom. Under ordinary circumstances I would have given the crew a piece of my mind but the risk of getting thrown off the plane and missing Antarctica couldn't be weighed. Our seats were next to Filipino Lindblad crew and they assured us that the LAN charter was almost always the trip's weakest link.

Turtles or Parischris or one of the other regular contributors on the Lindblad forums has mentioned that LAN's "regular" flights aren't that bad. That's entirely possible. This trip to Antarctica was part of a larger piece of business for us in S. America, and the other Latin American airlines we flew (Copa, TAM, Avianca, AeroGal) were of very high standard. On these charter legs, the LAN crew just seemed to know they had no reason to treat us like human beings.

Edited by Shawnino

Which is why we are strongly looking at SilverSea which will provide the expedition style cruise we seek with the level of comfort we need. I appreciate Turtle's candor in suggesting it. You don't need to travel in what looks like a floating 1970's Holiday Inn to visit Antarctica.

That does depend on the type of experience you seek.

I have relatives who think they've been to Antarctica because they cruised past it on their balcony. Look. There's Antarctica.

I know somebody else because they took an excursion off a (HAL?) ship that saw them stand on Antarctica for over an hour.

I spent six days walking around onshore looking at penguins and bouncing around in Zodiacs chasing whales chasing seals. Most nights, once we got back and ate, I was too tired to notice if it was the Holiday Inn or the Ritz. But my room was clean, the bed was freshly made, and the biggest job I had was to back up my photos because tomorrow was a brand new day.

That does depend on the type of experience you seek.

I have relatives who think they've been to Antarctica because they cruised past it on their balcony. Look. There's Antarctica.

I know somebody else because they took an excursion off a (HAL?) ship that saw them stand on Antarctica for over an hour.

I spent six days walking around onshore looking at penguins and bouncing around in Zodiacs chasing whales chasing seals. Most nights, once we got back and ate, I was too tired to notice if it was the Holiday Inn or the Ritz. But my room was clean, the bed was freshly made, and the biggest job I had was to back up my photos because tomorrow was a brand new day.

Maybe you think that SilverSea is a "drive by." It is not. They have a purpose built expedition ship, the Explorer, five days of ice landings and as you put it, "bouncing around in Zodiacs chasing whales chasing seals," a full expedition team including biologists and geologists, lecture staff including an Ornithologist, historian, etc. They offer the same as the other expedition cruises to Antarctica and the Arctic do, only with more creature comforts.

Perhaps you don't care about food, it is important to us, as are comfortable surroundings. To each their own, but to criticize my choice when you don't even have a clue of the type of cruise they offer is just lame.

Edited by ducklite

I'm also joining this thread to read through your experiences. We are looking at doing Antarctica in 2016. It is overwhelming digging through everything. I know we (DH & I) want to cross below the Antarctic Circle and travel probably Jan or Feb (to see the penguins).

I have looked at various lines; National Geographic, Quark Expeditions and Hurtigruten. I don't need a luxury cruise line, just something safe and will allow us a lot of time to go ashore. That is the most important thing. I don't care about eating fancy dinners each night, but I don't want just a hot dog. I don't care about nightly entertainment. I hope to spend each night exhausted and ready to go to sleep after looking through my pictures from the day.

I'm also joining this thread to read through your experiences. We are looking at doing Antarctica in 2016. It is overwhelming digging through everything. I know we (DH & I) want to cross below the Antarctic Circle and travel probably Jan or Feb (to see the penguins).

May I suggest that you not put too much emphasis on that goal, as nothing can be promised when it comes to travel around Antarctica. Even when a travel company includes crossing the Circle in the hoped-for itinerary, conditions (ice, wind, storms, etc.) may prevent this. Indeed, the uncertainties of weather, etc. are a big reason why Antarctic expeditions have no fixed itineraries. (So even if you find a company that meets your criteria, please keep in mind that you still may not cross the Circle.)

We visited in late Jan/early Feb 2013, and that year it was a time of great activity in the penguin rookeries, as the hatched chicks were running around and being fed by their parents. But you'd see penguins earlier in the season as well, just in different stages of their life cycle.

Have fun planning, it's quite exciting. :)

May I suggest that you not put too much emphasis on that goal, as nothing can be promised when it comes to travel around Antarctica. Even when a travel company includes crossing the Circle in the hoped-for itinerary, conditions (ice, wind, storms, etc.) may prevent this. Indeed, the uncertainties of weather, etc. are a big reason why Antarctic expeditions have no fixed itineraries. (So even if you find a company that meets your criteria, please keep in mind that you still may not cross the Circle.)

Thank you very much for reiterating that, yes I am aware of that (same with any of the landings). I should have stated that a requirement is that the cruise would try to cross the circle.

Awww that must have been so cute to see the babies wandering around.

I have looked at various lines; National Geographic, Quark Expeditions and Hurtigruten. I don't need a luxury cruise line, just something safe and will allow us a lot of time to go ashore. That is the most important thing. I don't care about eating fancy dinners each night, but I don't want just a hot dog. I don't care about nightly entertainment. I hope to spend each night exhausted and ready to go to sleep after looking through my pictures from the day.

I hadn't even considered whether or not a cruise might cross the Antarctic Circle. That would be a cool thing to be able to say you've done. I've now added it to my bucket list :D Hopefully whatever cruise I end up on in 2031 will get me there :)

Paul, I've spent part of the afternoon looking a them and they seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Do you recall how much the airfare was on the charter?

I was surprised playing with it earlier that we can fly AA non-stop from MIA to Buenos Aries in business for only ~$3500 pp r/t. I paid half that in fees and fuel surcharges on my "free" BA flights next year to London. :eek:

RT BA to Ushuaia was 1,140 per person. It was a LAN charter and they had 2 people per 3 seat row. So the middle was open.

Was able to get RT business on United for 2,200 from Orlando to BA (one stop in Houston)

I am also in Sales and need to keep in contact with customer. Did this over the Xmas holidays so was effectively on vacation from the 2nd to the 10th. The internet was good and was always connected via email and the VPN worked to my office server.

Silversea does a good job with expedition staff. It is NOT a drive by. Two full expeditions a day. We had several naturalists on board one whom spent several season in South Georgia.

Only difference -- might be the Champagne and cookies served on the Zodiac :)

DSC_2125_zpsed6ac794.jpg

Edited by PaulMCO

There really is no need for the rudeness you have shown to three of us who have tried to help you by responding to your postings.

Our suggestions were made in good faith and from experience, not from reading two-dimensional websites and/or brochures. Your judgements are very wide of the mark. Silversea might offer some additional comfort, and there is nothing wrong with that, but, as has been pointed out more than once, comfort doesn't rank very high in achieving what is most important on this trip: a quality Antarctic experience.

I suggest that you now pick up your toys and put them back in your pram.

There really is no need for the rudeness you have shown to three of us who have tried to help you by responding to your postings.

Our suggestions were made in good faith and from experience, not from reading two-dimensional websites and/or brochures. Your judgements are very wide of the mark. Silversea might offer some additional comfort, and there is nothing wrong with that, but, as has been pointed out more than once, comfort doesn't rank very high in achieving what is most important on this trip: a quality Antarctic experience.

I suggest that you now pick up your toys and put them back in your pram.

I suggest both of you play nice or go to your rooms.

Thank you very much for reiterating that, yes I am aware of that (same with any of the landings). I should have stated that a requirement is that the cruise would try to cross the circle.

We took Fram's Antarctic Circle cruise last January. We made it across the Circle and got the furthest south of any ship that season. It was wonderful, and the continent that far south seems, somehow, to be different from the peninsular. In terms of 'trying', one of the expedition lecturers we had on board was Tudor Morgan who had spent the previous season conserving the buildings on Detaille Island and who had been decorated by the Queen for his Antarctic endeavours. Detaille Island was one of our planned landings but unfortunately, and to our and his intense disappointment, the wind got up and prevented us from landing and inspecting his handiwork. Half a mile of water away...

Awww that must have been so cute to see the babies wandering around.

If you want chicks, you need to travel later in the season as opposed to earlier when you tend to see more eggs and hatchlings and the rookeries are less smelly! Both of our trips have been towards the end of the season and we have seen a few eggs but plenty of very energetic and noisy chicks.

I suggest both of you play nice or go to your rooms.

I really do think that that was uncalled for. Read through the thread and you will find that all but one have been 'playing nice'. Her rudeness needed, IMHO, to be placed in context.

I hadn't even considered whether or not a cruise might cross the Antarctic Circle. That would be a cool thing to be able to say you've done. I've now added it to my bucket list :D Hopefully whatever cruise I end up on in 2031 will get me there :)

Be aware that if you want to cross the circle you should choose a cruise that explicitly intends to do that. As a rule of thumb it's either the peninsular or the circle and not both. Though what the arrangements will be in 2031...!

Maybe you think that SilverSea is a "drive by." It is not. They have a purpose built expedition ship, the Explorer, five days of ice landings and as you put it, "bouncing around in Zodiacs chasing whales chasing seals," a full expedition team including biologists and geologists, lecture staff including an Ornithologist, historian, etc. They offer the same as the other expedition cruises to Antarctica and the Arctic do, only with more creature comforts.

Perhaps you don't care about food, it is important to us, as are comfortable surroundings. To each their own, but to criticize my choice when you don't even have a clue of the type of cruise they offer is just lame.

Good for you! That's really special!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Shawnino