Pre Cruise Hotels Newark, New Jersey

djo53

Hi Everyone

Next year I'm booked on a Celebrity Cruise out of Port Liberty, New Jersey. Celebrity has booked us into the Hilton Doubletree Newark for the overnight pre cruise stay (we are flying from the UK) and I was disappointed to read the Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel; a significant number of them are frankly awful!! Celebrity is not willing to change the hotel and I am surprised that a cruise line that places itself at the luxury end of the market would even consider putting its guests in a hotel such as this would appear to be. Does anyone have any experience of this hotel please. Any comments would also be welcome.

I stayed there a couple of times when it was a Sheraton. It's not great, but it's not a rat-infested hole. It's an atrium style hotel (like many old Embassy Suites) and as such can be very noisy with noise drifting up to the rooms.

I recently stayed at the Hilton EWR which gets much better reviews and I thought it was not great, either.

You'll be fine for one night.

This really should have stayed on the Celebrity board, so that you could get advice from Celebrity cruisers. However, it was moved over here. :rolleyes:

I would call Celebrity and see if there is another, better option. If not, see if you can get a refund and book your own hotel. ;) But as warmwinds said, it is only for one night.

Edited by Iamthesea

The food at the Hilton bar/restaurant was pretty good (we just had burgers/sandwiches, but they had everything from pasta to full entrees).

The trick is making sure you are at a full-service hotel - while places like Hampton Inns, Residence Inns, etc. are usually less expensive and have free breakfasts, they usually do not have restaurants that serve evening meals. You can also take a taxi to a restaurant, or the hotel shuttle back to the airport to eat (ugh, although the food at Phillips seafood was not bad).

Since I expect all EWR airport hotels to be marginal at best, I just pick price/who I get points with.

And getting to EWR airport hotels is sort of a pain - you have to take the Air Train to the designated shuttle pick-up spot, then wait for your hotel's shuttle. Only exception to this is the full-service Marriott which is right on hotel grounds, and has a shuttle that picks you up right outside baggage claim.

And then you still have to arrange transportation to Bayonne the next morning.

If the price is right, I'd be just as happy to stay at the Doubletree and have X arrange all the transfers.

The food at the Hilton bar/restaurant was pretty good (we just had burgers/sandwiches, but they had everything from pasta to full entrees).

The trick is making sure you are at a full-service hotel - while places like Hampton Inns, Residence Inns, etc. are usually less expensive and have free breakfasts, they usually do not have restaurants that serve evening meals. You can also take a taxi to a restaurant, or the hotel shuttle back to the airport to eat (ugh, although the food at Phillips seafood was not bad).

Since I expect all EWR airport hotels to be marginal at best, I just pick price/who I get points with.

And getting to EWR airport hotels is sort of a pain - you have to take the Air Train to the designated shuttle pick-up spot, then wait for your hotel's shuttle. Only exception to this is the full-service Marriott which is right on hotel grounds, and has a shuttle that picks you up right outside baggage claim.

And then you still have to arrange transportation to Bayonne the next morning.

If the price is right, I'd be just as happy to stay at the Doubletree and have X arrange all the transfers.

Thanks for both of your posts Warmwinds, your input is much appreciated. We still don't fancy staying at this hotel though, reviews on Expedia and Yelp are just as damming as those on Trip Advisor. We'll have to consider our options. Thanks once again

This really should have stayed on the Celebrity board, so that you could get advice from Celebrity cruisers. However, it was moved over here. :rolleyes:

I would call Celebrity and see if there is another, better option. If not, see if you can get a refund and book your own hotel. ;) But as warmwinds said, it is only for one night.

Thanks for your post, your input is appreciated. I agree I need advice from Celebrity cruisers who have done this trip, I'll think about how I can do that. I did speak to Celebrity and they did offer another hotel but the reviews are not much better than for the Doubletree and Celebrity want us to pay £83 pp extra! As for getting our money back and booking our own hotel, that would seem to be the best option, however, Celebrity seem to be saying that the overnight pre cruise stay is complimentary (which is news to me) and is akin to saying 'no money back' I think this one is going to run and run! Thanks once again.

We are really looking forward to our Canada and New England Cruise next year on Summit. However the only downside is that Celebrity has booked us into the Hilton Doubletree Newark for the overnight pre cruise stay (we are flying in from the UK) and I was disappointed to read the Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel; a significant proportion of which are frankly awful!!! It is the same story on Expedia and Yelp. Celebrity is not willing to change the hotel and I am surprised that a cruise line that places itself at the luxury end of the market would even consider putting its guests in a hotel such as this appears to be.

Does anyone have any recent experience of this hotel please?

Warmwinds had good comments about the Newark airport hotels. You have to understand that Newark is not a vacation destination and the hotels reflect that.

I also stayed at this hotel a number of years ago when it was a Sheraton. It was fine for its purpose at that time, but I can certainly understand that it is now more run down if it has not been updated. I know this is no consolation, but there are many less desirable properties at the airport.

What is the exact date you would be staying? If you have the opportunity to get rid of this hotel and don't mind spending more money, you might want to look at the hotels in the Jersey City Newport area - Courtyard, Candlewood Suites, Doubletree, Westin, and Hyatt. These hotels can be more expensive, but often have good weekend deals or appear on Hotwire as a 4* Jersey City hotel. It will cost you an extra cab fare of $46 plus tip to get to these hotels, but the area is more upscale with shopping at real stores (Macy's, Penneys, etc) in the Newport Mall and restaurants. It would be a similar cab fare to go to the port, but there is also an easy public transit option from this area.

I recently spent three nights at the Courtyard in Jersey City with my family and would recommend it without hesitation. It was across the street from the mall and next door to the Newport Path station for easy quick access to midtown or downtown NYC. We were close to the Hudson River and had a partial view of the Freedom tower (with a parking garage in the foreground). Even if you don't want to go into NYC, you can enjoy the Manhattan skyline from the promenade/boardwalks along the waterfront.

Warmwinds had good comments about the Newark airport hotels. You have to understand that Newark is not a vacation destination and the hotels reflect that.

I also stayed at this hotel a number of years ago when it was a Sheraton. It was fine for its purpose at that time, but I can certainly understand that it is now more run down if it has not been updated. I know this is no consolation, but there are many less desirable properties at the airport.

What is the exact date you would be staying? If you have the opportunity to get rid of this hotel and don't mind spending more money, you might want to look at the hotels in the Jersey City Newport area - Courtyard, Candlewood Suites, Doubletree, Westin, and Hyatt. These hotels can be more expensive, but often have good weekend deals or appear on Hotwire as a 4* Jersey City hotel. It will cost you an extra cab fare of $46 plus tip to get to these hotels, but the area is more upscale with shopping at real stores (Macy's, Penneys, etc) in the Newport Mall and restaurants. It would be a similar cab fare to go to the port, but there is also an easy public transit option from this area.

I recently spent three nights at the Courtyard in Jersey City with my family and would recommend it without hesitation. It was across the street from the mall and next door to the Newport Path station for easy quick access to midtown or downtown NYC. We were close to the Hudson River and had a partial view of the Freedom tower (with a parking garage in the foreground). Even if you don't want to go into NYC, you can enjoy the Manhattan skyline from the promenade/boardwalks along the waterfront.

Thanks, that's very useful

Hopefully it's another option for you. I definitely would NOT spend another £83 ($133)/pp for any hotel at Newark Airport!!! Transportation is plentiful in the area and you can arrange it yourself.

If you decide to go this route, post back with exact dates, arrival time, and your budget and we can offer suggestions. There are definitely nicer properties at the airport, but as someone mentioned, food service options can be limited. Also, can you manage your luggage to get to the hotel shuttle pickup at the P4 Airtrain station?

Hopefully it's another option for you. I definitely would NOT spend another £83 ($133)/pp for any hotel at Newark Airport!!! Transportation is plentiful in the area and you can arrange it yourself.

If you decide to go this route, post back with exact dates, arrival time, and your budget and we can offer suggestions. There are definitely nicer properties at the airport, but as someone mentioned, food service options can be limited. Also, can you manage your luggage to get to the hotel shuttle pickup at the P4 Airtrain station?

Hello Carol

Thanks for getting back to me

We will be needing a hotel for the night of September 5/6 2015. According to Celebrity's itinerary we will be arriving at the hotel at 15.00 and departing at 11.00 the next day. Cost is not an issue (within reason) but we would want to have a nice meal on the evening of Sept 5 either in the hotel or somewhere easily accessible close by. We would be able to manage our luggage to the shuttle pick up. What would our options be for getting to Port Liberty the following day?

Thanks once again

David

Hello Carol

Thanks for getting back to me

We will be needing a hotel for the night of September 5/6 2015. According to Celebrity's itinerary we will be arriving at the hotel at 15.00 and departing at 11.00 the next day. Cost is not an issue (within reason) but we would want to have a nice meal on the evening of Sept 5 either in the hotel or somewhere easily accessible close by. We would be able to manage our luggage to the shuttle pick up. What would our options be for getting to Port Liberty the following day?

Thanks once again

David

What I'm hearing is that you want to stay at the airport and not mess with Jersey City. Look at the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth - Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, and Country Inns. Embassy Suites is the newest hotel at the airport. The Courtyard has a restaurant, but there is a Ruby Tuesdays and an IHOP across the street. Jersey Gardens Mall is right there with an Applebee's and a food court. None of this is fine dining - basically US chain restaurants - but it is the only hotel area that is not totally isolated with no additional services.

To get to Cape Liberty you would book at car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for about $55-60. If you go on your roll call, it might be possible to connect with other folks to share transportation. Always be sure to specify how much luggage you have when booking a car service.

We are really looking forward to our Canada and New England Cruise next year on Summit. However the only downside is that Celebrity has booked us into the Hilton Doubletree Newark for the overnight pre cruise stay (we are flying in from the UK) and I was disappointed to read the Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel; a significant proportion of which are frankly awful!!! It is the same story on Expedia and Yelp. Celebrity is not willing to change the hotel and I am surprised that a cruise line that places itself at the luxury end of the market would even consider putting its guests in a hotel such as this appears to be.

Does anyone have any recent experience of this hotel please?

Mr Sloop & I travel a lot for business & pleasure... We are long time Hilton Hhonor Members... And here is what we have learned over the years.

Generally speaking, Hilton Hotels (all chains / brands) are good. We have never stayed in a truly horrible Hilton Property... Cannot say that about other Big Name Hotel Chains.

Of course that does not mean that all their Hotels are identical... Some are for sure better than others.

But we have found them all adequate enough for a one night stay.

As far as Reviews... I have always felt that Hilton's pickiest customers are those that stay the most, and therefore have racked up the most points (lol, I find this also true with Members of other services that provide Loyalty Points & Incentives too). Interestingly, those that complain the loudest, are those that cash in their points and take a freebie... Many times these are the folks who feel that they did not receive good value for their comp.

I looked at the Rating & Review on TA ( http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g46671-d98490-Reviews-DoubleTree_by_Hilton_Hotel_Newark_Airport-Newark_New_Jersey.html ) it truly runs the gamit and is all over the place from frequent TA Reviewers who gave it a 4 or 5 Rating, to TA newbies who gave it a 1.

Personally, I'd be more prone to believe those who have a long time posting record with TA.

And worse case scenario... It is just one night.

Cheers!

We are loyal Hilton travelers and have only been disappointed a few times by some of the properties not being up to Hilton standards. I read reviews, however, with a grain of salt. As stated above, as you are only there for one night before the cruise, be assured it is not a Motel 6. We have not yet stayed at that property, but would not hesitate to do so in the future based on some Trip Advisors reviews. It is a great location for the terminal. Enjoy your cruise.

We are loyal Hilton travelers and have only been disappointed a few times by some of the properties not being up to Hilton standards. I read reviews, however, with a grain of salt. As stated above, as you are only there for one night before the cruise, be assured it is not a Motel 6. We have not yet stayed at that property, but would not hesitate to do so in the future based on some Trip Advisors reviews. It is a great location for the terminal. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your post, it is appreciated

Mr Sloop & I travel a lot for business & pleasure... We are long time Hilton Hhonor Members... And here is what we have learned over the years.

Generally speaking, Hilton Hotels (all chains / brands) are good. We have never stayed in a truly horrible Hilton Property... Cannot say that about other Big Name Hotel Chains.

Of course that does not mean that all their Hotels are identical... Some are for sure better than others.

But we have found them all adequate enough for a one night stay.

As far as Reviews... I have always felt that Hilton's pickiest customers are those that stay the most, and therefore have racked up the most points (lol, I find this also true with Members of other services that provide Loyalty Points & Incentives too). Interestingly, those that complain the loudest, are those that cash in their points and take a freebie... Many times these are the folks who feel that they did not receive good value for their comp.

I looked at the Rating & Review on TA ( http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g46671-d98490-Reviews-DoubleTree_by_Hilton_Hotel_Newark_Airport-Newark_New_Jersey.html ) it truly runs the gamit and is all over the place from frequent TA Reviewers who gave it a 4 or 5 Rating, to TA newbies who gave it a 1.

Personally, I'd be more prone to believe those who have a long time posting record with TA.

And worse case scenario... It is just one night.

Cheers!

Thanks for your advice. it is appreciated

What I'm hearing is that you want to stay at the airport and not mess with Jersey City. Look at the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth - Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, and Country Inns. Embassy Suites is the newest hotel at the airport. The Courtyard has a restaurant, but there is a Ruby Tuesdays and an IHOP across the street. Jersey Gardens Mall is right there with an Applebee's and a food court. None of this is fine dining - basically US chain restaurants - but it is the only hotel area that is not totally isolated with no additional services.

To get to Cape Liberty you would book at car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for about $55-60. If you go on your roll call, it might be possible to connect with other folks to share transportation. Always be sure to specify how much luggage you have when booking a car service.

That's really useful. Many thanks

Out of curiosity - what is the hotel that Celebrity says you can pay so much extra for? Would that price also include the transfers to Bayonne?

You of course have your standards and if the things you have read about the Doubletree are that offensive to you, no one should try and change your mind.

Just make sure you are not jumping from the frying pan into the fire with a hotel that is just marginally better. I can think of no luxury properties at EWR at all.

Out of curiosity - what is the hotel that Celebrity says you can pay so much extra for? Would that price also include the transfers to Bayonne?

You of course have your standards and if the things you have read about the Doubletree are that offensive to you, no one should try and change your mind.

Just make sure you are not jumping from the frying pan into the fire with a hotel that is just marginally better. I can think of no luxury properties at EWR at all.

Its the Hilton Newark Penn Station. Is that an airport hotel?

We just completed the Summit NE/Canada cruise in late September of this year. Thanks to advice from the people, including 138East who posted here, on the Eastern Departures board, we stayed at the Elizabeth City Country Inn and Suites. It is next door to a Ruby Tuesdays and there are other hotels/places to eat within walking distance. It was just fine, although an older property. However, due to the coming of the Quantum to Bayonne, it is now in renovations, so should be in very nice shape for next fall.

Because we did not want to deal with traipsing with luggage across the airport and awaiting a hotel shuttle (one way free) , we made arrangements with Independent Driver at 888-816-0973 (Abdul) to get to the hotel, to ship the next day and to airport after the cruise. Each way was $45. I would do that again for sure. Again he was recommended by 138 East and others on the departure board.

So you do have options.