Pre Cruise Hotels Newark, New Jersey

djo53

Hello 138east:

I am planning my son's honeymoon for this June, and you seem very knowledgeable. They will be going out of Cape Liberty on the Anthem for a 9-night cruise. They depart on June 8th, and I plan to fly them into EWR the day before and need a hotel. You mention the Courtyard in Jersey City or others nearby. What is the best transportation option for to the hotel from airprt and to the port from hotel? Also, the would like to do a post cruise 2-night stay to see some of NYC and wondering where the best option to stay for that might be as well.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Could you provide more details? Realistic hotel budget for the three hotel nights? It's a honeymoon, so is the couple looking for anything special? Do they have any "must do's" in NYC. Where are they flying in from and what time do they arrive?

I love the Courtyard in Jersey City and have stayed there. However, it's pricey for the dates you gave because 2 of the 3 nights are affected by business travel rates. I'm actually seeing better post cruise hotel rates for Manhattan hotels.

Then there's the question of transportation costs to get from one place to another. Three car service trips could cost them $200 to $250+. If they can manage their luggage, these costs can be reduced substantially by using public transit options such as NJ Transit trains and light rail, PATH, and/or airport bus combined with short inexpensive local cab rides. All three trips could be done for under $100.

Thank you for your reply. How late does the train run back to the hotel from NYC? I Chicago we have a last train around 12:30 am and that is hard for any late night activities.

PATH trains run 7x24, so that's not an issue. NY subway is also 7x24.

Edited by 138east

Hi Lisa,

Could you provide more details? Realistic hotel budget for the three hotel nights? It's a honeymoon, so is the couple looking for anything special? Do they have any "must do's" in NYC. Where are they flying in from and what time do they arrive?

I love the Courtyard in Jersey City and have stayed there. However, it's pricey for the dates you gave because 2 of the 3 nights are affected by business travel rates. I'm actually seeing better post cruise hotel rates for Manhattan hotels.

Then there's the question of transportation costs to get from one place to another. Three car service trips could cost them $200 to $250+. If they can manage their luggage, these costs can be reduced substantially by using public transit options such as NJ Transit trains and light rail, PATH, and/or airport bus combined with short inexpensive local cab rides. All three trips could be done for under $100.

They would actually have 4 car service trips... airport to hotel hotel to port. Port to hotel, and hotel to airport. Is an Uber or cab more than $50 per trip? Is that the best price after public transportation? They probably won't want to do the public transport and drag their stuff around. I did notice that the Courtyard was crazy expensive for the pre-cruise night. Any other suggestion? I haven't booked the flights yet as I'm trying to see if all the extra NYC stuff is in their budget. The flight coming in on the Wed. before looks like it would be a 10:30ish am arrival.

They are looking to do a lot of the touristy things. My older son lived in NYC for a few years near Union Square so the groom son visited a lot but never did the touristy stuff. They are thinking the Staue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well as Freedom Tower which I know are all ina similar area. They would like to see a Broadway play, maybe Empire State, wander Central Park and go to Serendipity. He would like to go to some of the old stomping grounds at night that he visited with his brother.

Their budget for hotels is definitely under $300 a night. They had hoped for closer to the $200's , but I'm not sure that will happen.

They would actually have 4 car service trips... airport to hotel hotel to port. Port to hotel, and hotel to airport. Is an Uber or cab more than $50 per trip? Is that the best price after public transportation? They probably won't want to do the public transport and drag their stuff around. I did notice that the Courtyard was crazy expensive for the pre-cruise night. Any other suggestion? I haven't booked the flights yet as I'm trying to see if all the extra NYC stuff is in their budget. The flight coming in on the Wed. before looks like it would be a 10:30ish am arrival.

They are looking to do a lot of the touristy things. My older son lived in NYC for a few years near Union Square so the groom son visited a lot but never did the touristy stuff. They are thinking the Staue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well as Freedom Tower which I know are all ina similar area. They would like to see a Broadway play, maybe Empire State, wander Central Park and go to Serendipity. He would like to go to some of the old stomping grounds at night that he visited with his brother.

Their budget for hotels is definitely under $300 a night. They had hoped for closer to the $200's , but I'm not sure that will happen.

Let's take this step by step.

1). A cab is definitely more than $50. Don't know about Uber, but probably not recommended between NY and NJ. Tunnel toll is $15 plus a couple of dollars of turnpike toll, so interstate trips run 80-$100.

2). They get in early enough on June 7 to spend the rest of the day in NYC. Look at United.com for the Robert Treat Hotel which is on sale today for $98 ($112.49) with tax. It's cancellable and has a free airport and Newark Penn Station shuttle, free breakfast and free wifi. NJ Transit train is $5.50/pp to New York Penn Station and PATH is $2.75/pp. They should not walk from the station to the hotel if they don't connect well with the shuttle coming back at night - cab would be about $8. I'd book this now just to have a reservation at a great price. I've actually stayed in this hotel.

3) I understand about dragging stuff around, but the reality is that they are going to have to do some dragging. To get the free hotel shuttles at the airport requires rolling luggage to the elevator to go up to the Airtrain and riding to the P4 stop to connect with the shuttle.

To get from the Robert Treat to Cape Liberty a car service or cab will run about $65. The other option is to take the hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station, PATH to Exchange Place, walk across a small plaza to the light rail station for the 8th St Bayonne train getting off at 34th St Bayonne. Folks have been using Uber to get into the port. Total cost for two people should be $20-25. I have done this with two small rolling bags - route is totally accessible - left hotel at 9:00 am, got seats on the trains, and arrived at 10:15.

More later.

4). Transit maps

NJ Transit with PATH and light rail -http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Light rail - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

PATH - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

United.com has a lot of hotels in Manhattan under $200 for June 17-19. There are a lot of really nice choices in downtown Manhattan near the World Trade Center because it's a Sat and Sun night. If your bride and groom want to do the Statue of Liberty and the 911 memorial on Sunday, this could be a great choice. The reality in Manhattan is that you will always be traveling elsewhere at some time to do something - there is no perfect location. The subway service in this area is great to most areas of Manhattan and the subway stations for the different lines are very close together - much closer than the map shows them. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Take a look and post back.

Edited by 138east

United.com has a lot of hotels in Manhattan under $200 for June 17-19. There are a lot of really nice choices in downtown Manhattan near the World Trade Center because it's a Sat and Sun night. If your bride and groom want to do the Statue of Liberty and the 911 memorial on Sunday, this could be a great choice. The reality in Manhattan is that you will always be traveling elsewhere at some time to do something - there is no perfect location. The subway service in this area is great to most areas of Manhattan and the subway stations for the different lines are very close together - much closer than the map shows them. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Take a look and post back.

I'm always one open for a "staycation" and saw the Club Quarters Wall Street for $143 per night. Lots of places to walk for dinner especially young folks. Battery Park has some nice open air restaurants and then there is Stone Street, which is an entire block closed off with open air restaurants and indoor seating. Not expensive eats either. And the best part of staying in the Wall Street area during the weekend is that it is not packed and you're able to get a table no problem.

Edited by Got2Cruise

I'm always one open for a "staycation" and saw the Club Quarters Wall Street for $143 per night. Lots of places to walk for dinner especially young folks. Battery Park has some nice open air restaurants and then there is Stone Street, which is an entire block closed off with open air restaurants and indoor seating. Not expensive eats either. And the best part of staying in the Wall Street area during the weekend is that it is not packed and you're able to get a table no problem.

Club Quarters Wall St is showing at $134 plus tax prepaid for the desired two nights on United.com. That's a fantastic deal for Manhattan.

The OP has picked very lucky dates and should not let these offers slip away.

Edited by 138east

Thank you to both you and 138east, i did book the Club Quarters Wall street for them. Still working on the one night pre-cruise. I did look at the Robert Treat and it is tempting with the free shuttle from the airport. My concern is that I'm sure they will want to go into the city that night, and it seems more complicated to get there and back from that hotel as compared to sat the candlewood suites which is still somewhat affordable at this time.

Club Quarters Wall St is showing at $134 plus tax prepaid for the desired two nights on United.com. That's a fantastic deal for Manhattan.

The OP has picked very lucky dates and should not let these offers slip away.

Thank you 138east, i did book the Club Quarters Wall street for them. Still working on the one night pre-cruise. I did look at the Robert Treat and it is tempting with the free shuttle from the airport. My concern is that I'm sure they will want to go into the city that night, and it seems more complicated to get there and back from that hotel as compared to sat the candlewood suites which is still somewhat affordable at this time.

Thank you 138east, i did book the Club Quarters Wall street for them. Still working on the one night pre-cruise. I did look at the Robert Treat and it is tempting with the free shuttle from the airport. My concern is that I'm sure they will want to go into the city that night, and it seems more complicated to get there and back from that hotel as compared to sat the candlewood suites which is still somewhat affordable at this time.

How late would they stay out the first night? Would they be in midtown NYC? The train from NY Penn Station is $5.25 and the last train is 1:22 am. It takes 22-24 minutes with one stop.

Candlewood Suites is not that close to either the Newport or Exchange Place PATH stations and those areas could be fairly deserted late night. Newark Penn Station is major transportation center that is well patrolled and cabs should be readily available. That's why I recommended the Robert Treat because it does have an airport shuttle ($65 car service savings) and a quick ride into either midtown or downtown.

How late would they stay out the first night? Would they be in midtown NYC? The train from NY Penn Station is $5.25 and the last train is 1:22 am. It takes 22-24 minutes with one stop.

Candlewood Suites is not that close to either the Newport or Exchange Place PATH stations and those areas could be fairly deserted late night. Newark Penn Station is major transportation center that is well patrolled and cabs should be readily available. That's why I recommended the Robert Treat because it does have an airport shuttle ($65 car service savings) and a quick ride into either midtown or downtown.

Ok thanks, I will look into that more with him. How about the Doubletree location?

Ok thanks, I will look into that more with him. How about the Doubletree location?

What's the big picture plan in relation to the budget? Both Candlewood and the Doubletree are well located in terms of being able to take the light rail to the port, but you do pay for a cab from Newark to the hotel. If they're going into midtown Manhattan for a late night, they would come back to the Newport station and be 6-7 blocks from Candlewood and 3-4 blocks from the Doubletree. If either hotel fits the budget (you got a great deal on the post cruise hotel), then go for it.

What's the big picture plan in relation to the budget? Both Candlewood and the Doubletree are well located in terms of being able to take the light rail to the port, but you do pay for a cab from Newark to the hotel. If they're going into midtown Manhattan for a late night, they would come back to the Newport station and be 6-7 blocks from Candlewood and 3-4 blocks from the Doubletree. If either hotel fits the budget (you got a great deal on the post cruise hotel), then go for it.

You have been so helpful...thanks again! So the light rail which i see on the mao near the Newport Mall will take them to the port the next morning? Also, is the 3-4 blocks from the Newport Station to the Double Tree safe at night for them to walk?

You have been so helpful...thanks again! So the light rail which i see on the mao near the Newport Mall will take them to the port the next morning? Also, is the 3-4 blocks from the Newport Station to the Double Tree safe at night for them to walk?

The light rail 8th St Bayonne train will take them to 34th St in Bayonne. $2.25/pp accessible with luggage - the light rail runs at street level - a fancy trolley

At 34th St they can call Uber or a local cab company.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

They should be OK walking, but if they don't feel comfortable, the Courtyard is right at the PATH exit and they can call a cab or Uber and wait there.