Pre Cruise Hotels Newark, New Jersey

djo53

If the hotel offers a shuttle to Newark Penn Station ( as opposed to Elizabeth Station), that would be a good deal when you go into NYC. However, coming back you don't want to hang around Newark Penn Station waiting for a pickup. You can take the train to EWR train station, but if it were me, I'd take a cab directly back to the hotel even if it is a few dollars more.

Travel time to NYC will be at least an hour, so anything you can do to reduce the time and the number of transfers is worth the money.

Edited by 138east

Carol, yes the Hotel offers shuttle serves to the Penn Station and coming back after our visit in NYC, we will probably grab a cab. The reason i was considering changing Hotels was to go the Hilton Penn Station then we are right there and walk over to the Hotel from the Penn Station. The Hampton only offers breakfast so we would need to walk over to the Renaissance for dinner. Our flight gets in on the 16th at 5:50 PM.

Gay

• 2 weeks later...

Question for people who have sailed out of New Jersey. I had our flight home from the cruise booked for 1:30 pm and the airlines changed our flight to 11:15 am . Will we make this flight out of this port? My other option is try to switch to the 3 pm flight. But that seems so late. Suggestions would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising on Anthem, November 2015, 12 nights. We're driving from MA, and looking for a clean reasonably priced hotel close to the port that offers parking for the duration of the cruise. Would like to be able to taxi back and forth from the hotel to the pier. Thanks!

The best deal at Newark Airport is through Trinityreservations.com - Ramada Plaza for $208 tax included (most hotels quote without tax which is hefty at the airport) for up to 4 people, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people(at least a $100-120 value). A number of cruise critic folks have booked this package and have been very satisfied.

Getting to the Ramada can be tricky. You get off the NJ Turnpike at Exit 14 and stay to the right to get on I78 west LOCAL. I believe Frontage Road is the second exit. You go to the end of the exit ( you should be able to see the Doubletree) and make a left. The Doubletree will be on your right and the Ramada Plaza will be the next hotel.

I live northwest of Boston, so I take I495 to I290 through Worcester to the Mass Pike west at Auburn and go one exit west to Sturbridge.

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Sturbridge and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

• 2 weeks later...

:DWow, this has been a great thread with tons and tons of options and information. While I feel like I know much more about area now, I'm still REALLY confused as to the BEST pre-cruise one-night stay!

I think if I ask one simple question (ok, maybe more than one!), it may make it an easier decision for me....

If money was no object, where would you spend the night before your cruise on the Summit? We are sailing next June and will need a one night hotel on Saturday, June 6th. It will just be my husband and myself. We will also need transportation from EWR to the hotel, and transportation to the cruise port from the hotel. We will be arriving late afternoon and going to the port in the morning so we won't be able to do any sight-seeing of the area this time.

We'd like a nice place to begin our vacation! We will need a nice dinner/drinks on Saturday evening and breakfast on Sunday morning before the cruise. We are perfectly fine with staying at the hotel instead of venturing out for meals.

I know the hotels in this area are certainly not vacation resorts, but I'm hoping for some guidance/opinions on the place that will best meet our needs. I will appreciate any and all recommendations, and I thank you in advance for your help!:D

If money were no object I would be looking at the 5 hotels in Jersey City - Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard, Doubletree, and Candlewood Suites. This involves taking a cab to Jersey City and a cab or car service to the port. What you get is an upscale area of hotels, offices, and apartments with lots of eating options and the Newport Mall - all along the Hudson River with a boardwalk walkway to enjoy the fantastic views of Manhattan. At least one of the hotels has a top floor restaurant/bar.

Our family spent a long. Weekend at the Courtyard and I would go back there again in a heartbeat. I would rate this as the medium of the hotels listed.

Your information is absolutely INVALUABLE to us! Thanks so much for helping out so many people! I wish you a happy, healthy New Year!

We are seriously looking at the Westin in Jersey City. Just wondering if you can answer a couple more quick questions?

--Any idea on the cost of cab from the airport to the Westin?

--Any idea on the cost of the car service to the port?

--How long in advance should we set up the car reservations? Who do we call?

--How long will it take us to get to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the port?

I thank you, again and again, for all of your helpful advice!:D

Your information is absolutely INVALUABLE to us! Thanks so much for helping out so many people! I wish you a happy, healthy New Year!

We are seriously looking at the Westin in Jersey City. Just wondering if you can answer a couple more quick questions?

--Any idea on the cost of cab from the airport to the Westin?

--Any idea on the cost of the car service to the port?

--How long in advance should we set up the car reservations? Who do we call?

--How long will it take us to get to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the port?

I thank you, again and again, for all of your helpful advice!:D

1). $50-60

2). $50-60

3). Cab should be OK from the airport. I'd call the Westin to see what they will quote you for arranging a car service. If it's too high, post back for other suggestions.

4). Timings are hard to predict. It should less than 30 minutes to go from the airport to the hotel. Hotel to the port entrance should be about 20 minutes, but to the terminal is unpredictable and depends on the traffic.

If money were no object I would be looking at the 5 hotels in Jersey City - Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard, Doubletree, and Candlewood Suites. This involves taking a cab to Jersey City and a cab or car service to the port. What you get is an upscale area of hotels, offices, and apartments with lots of eating options and the Newport Mall - all along the Hudson River with a boardwalk walkway to enjoy the fantastic views of Manhattan. At least one of the hotels has a top floor restaurant/bar.

Our family spent a long. Weekend at the Courtyard and I would go back there again in a heartbeat. I would rate this as the medium of the hotels listed.

I have stayed at Doubletree in Jersey City. Great hotel, and you can walk to the mall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a great thread. We too are looking for hotel/air packages for EWR from ORD. I will admit, the whole train things sounds somewhat confusing, since we plan on going into the city for a couple of days pre cruise. Right now I'm looking at the Westin and Courtyard in Jersey City. From what I've read, they seem to be the more expensive options. I would prefer avoiding JFK, but if the hotels are near there and closer to the things we want to see in NYC, maybe that is a better option. But, we would still need to get to the port and I don't want to worry about a train and luggage. Advice????

One question I have....where is the best place for a true NY pizza? NYC has always been on my bucket list...not so much for DH....he really loathes large cities. I'm sure once he is there, he will love it...so much to see and do.

This is a great thread. We too are looking for hotel/air packages for EWR from ORD. I will admit, the whole train things sounds somewhat confusing, since we plan on going into the city for a couple of days pre cruise. Right now I'm looking at the Westin and Courtyard in Jersey City. From what I've read, they seem to be the more expensive options. I would prefer avoiding JFK, but if the hotels are near there and closer to the things we want to see in NYC, maybe that is a better option. But, we would still need to get to the port and I don't want to worry about a train and luggage. Advice????

One question I have....where is the best place for a true NY pizza? NYC has always been on my bucket list...not so much for DH....he really loathes large cities. I'm sure once he is there, he will love it...so much to see and do.

Forget JFK - the hotels are not the best and the location is way too far away from Manhattan.

Sightseeing in NYC and sailing from Cape Liberty is a balance among time, money and stress. For folks on a budget that's why we recommend looking at Jersey City. The five Jersey City hotels are a definite cut above their counterparts at Newark Airport and at least 50% closer to to most NYC destinations.

What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?

1). It will take you at least an hour to go from any Newark Airport hotel to Manhattan and will cost you up to $12.50/pp each way. PATH is $2.65/ride.

2) It will cost you an extra cab fare of $50-60 to get to Jersey city from the airport. Cost to the port is about the same as from the airport - another $50-60 unless you take the light rail to Bayonne.

3) Start looking at the NJTransit, PATH, and NY subway maps. To get into and around NYC you will need to use public transit and do lots of walking.

4). From the Jersey City hotels it is easy to do something during the day in NY, go back to the hotel for a pit stop, and go back to the city for the evening.

5). In lower Manhattan almost all the subway lines are close to the PATH World Trade Center stop even though they look farther away on the maps.

6). The Newport area offers restaurants, shopping, NY city views, and services. These amenities are almost nonexistent at airport hotels.

I'm seeing Candlewood Suites for $149 plus tax(weekend rate ) for Oct 1-4 cancellable. That's a terrific price - I'd make a cancellable reservation now while you sort out your plans. The Doubletree is $189 plus tax cancellable and the Courtyard is $199 plus tax cancellable.

The Courtyard is literally next door to the Newport Path Station entrance. The Hyatt is at the Exchange Place PATH station. From other hotels it would be a walk to the PATH stations at Newport or Exchange Place. The NJTransit Hudson Bergen light rail provides north south street level service connecting Exchange Place to Newport with a stop in front of Candlewood Suites.

Carol,

Thanks so much for lending your helping hand/knowledge while expecting nothing in return. You are truly a special person! I am hoping you can help cure the headache I have which is figuring out travel plans involving the Bayonne Cape Liberty Cruise Port.

I will be traveling with DW, DS, & DD along with another family of 4 and my In-Laws from NC on 3/28/15 for a 7 day Quantum cruise on 3/29.

I took your advice and went to Trinity Reservations and I see the Newark Ramada Plaza Bayonne Cape Liberty Cruise Port for $185 (Hotel, parking, and transport) but the reviews of this property seem to be very bad. So I am wondering if you or anyone else who has stayed at this property recently can chime in with reports on the current conditions. My In-Laws are used to the better hotels so my fear is that they will be very irritated if the Ramada property isn't at least decent and clean.

I was also looking at the Courtyard Newark Elizabeth and booking my own transportation. If I choose this route then I was wondering what the best option would be to get to the port? Would you suggest that we use a car service for roundtrip transportation and leave our cars (driving from NC) at the hotel for the 7 days (would there be any problems with just leaving them)? If so, who would you suggest we use and what do you think the cost would be for 10 people with approximately 12 pieces of luggage? Or would you suggest we use a 3rd party parking service and if so who would you suggest for this?

How many cars will you have? It looks like you are 10 people. I'm assuming 3 hotel rooms - 4 + 4 + 2. What is your hotel budget per room?

Parking at the port would be $133 for 7 days.

The hotels at Newark airport cater to transient travelers and tend to be not as nice as accommodations you might find in other parts of the country. I know that mapleleafvoyage (Chris and Jeff) have stayed at the Ramada several times recently and been happy with it. I haven't stayed there in several years now, but it was clean at the time. Many airline crews stay there.

Look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island for another park/sleep/cruise option. The Holiday Inn Express on Staten Island also offers a park/sleep cruise, but I don't have much info on it. It costs about $13 to get onto Staten Island, but nothing to get off.

Another option is to stay about an hour south in Jamesburg, Hightstown, or Edison, NJ and drive directly to the port and pay to park. This may get you a less expensive hotel and gives you the advantage of being able to disembark, hop in your car, and hit the road home. It also means that you don't really have to deal with Newark Airport at all, a big advantage if you are arriving after dark.

Forget JFK - the hotels are not the best and the location is way too far away from Manhattan.

Sightseeing in NYC and sailing from Cape Liberty is a balance among time, money and stress. For folks on a budget that's why we recommend looking at Jersey City. The five Jersey City hotels are a definite cut above their counterparts at Newark Airport and at least 50% closer to to most NYC destinations.

What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?

1). It will take you at least an hour to go from any Newark Airport hotel to Manhattan and will cost you up to $12.50/pp each way. PATH is $2.65/ride.

2) It will cost you an extra cab fare of $50-60 to get to Jersey city from the airport. Cost to the port is about the same as from the airport - another $50-60 unless you take the light rail to Bayonne.

3) Start looking at the NJTransit, PATH, and NY subway maps. To get into and around NYC you will need to use public transit and do lots of walking.

4). From the Jersey City hotels it is easy to do something during the day in NY, go back to the hotel for a pit stop, and go back to the city for the evening.

5). In lower Manhattan almost all the subway lines are close to the PATH World Trade Center stop even though they look farther away on the maps.

6). The Newport area offers restaurants, shopping, NY city views, and services. These amenities are almost nonexistent at airport hotels.

I'm seeing Candlewood Suites for $149 plus tax(weekend rate ) for Oct 1-4 cancellable. That's a terrific price - I'd make a cancellable reservation now while you sort out your plans. The Doubletree is $189 plus tax cancellable and the Courtyard is $199 plus tax cancellable.

The Courtyard is literally next door to the Newport Path Station entrance. The Hyatt is at the Exchange Place PATH station. From other hotels it would be a walk to the PATH stations at Newport or Exchange Place. The NJTransit Hudson Bergen light rail provides north south street level service connecting Exchange Place to Newport with a stop in front of Candlewood Suites.

Thank you so much for your reply. I must say, you do make it sound somewhat easy. The Westin appears to have better views. I did not see the 139. pricing for Candlewood Suites....what I saw was higher than that. I would like to be close to the PATH so that would probably make the Marriott or Westin a greater advantage. I don't think the Westin has cancellable rates though.

We would like to do the usual in NYC....Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, World Trade Center, Times Square, etc.

I still don't want to deal with a train and 2 large suitcases and two carry on bags. I wonder if there are car services to the airport that can be shared.

I've read the whole thread and you give such great advice. You are a true asset to CC.

How many cars will you have? It looks like you are 10 people. I'm assuming 3 hotel rooms - 4 + 4 + 2. What is your hotel budget per room?

Parking at the port would be $133 for 7 days.

The hotels at Newark airport cater to transient travelers and tend to be not as nice as accommodations you might find in other parts of the country. I know that mapleleafvoyage (Chris and Jeff) have stayed at the Ramada several times recently and been happy with it. I haven't stayed there in several years now, but it was clean at the time. Many airline crews stay there.

Look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island for another park/sleep/cruise option. The Holiday Inn Express on Staten Island also offers a park/sleep cruise, but I don't have much info on it. It costs about $13 to get onto Staten Island, but nothing to get off.

Another option is to stay about an hour south in Jamesburg, Hightstown, or Edison, NJ and drive directly to the port and pay to park. This may get you a less expensive hotel and gives you the advantage of being able to disembark, hop in your car, and hit the road home. It also means that you don't really have to deal with Newark Airport at all, a big advantage if you are arriving after dark.

Thanks for the quick reply.

We will have 3 separate cars and room config would be 4+4+2. We would be leaving super early that Saturday so we would be getting into the area by 7 p.m so we shouldn't have to worry about after dark arrival. I looked at the Hilton/Hampton Park&Cruise package and I tried to do the same with the Holiday Inn one but when you click on the package for some reason it never gives you the option to select it?

Thank you so much for your reply. I must say, you do make it sound somewhat easy. The Westin appears to have better views. I did not see the 139. pricing for Candlewood Suites....what I saw was higher than that. I would like to be close to the PATH so that would probably make the Marriott or Westin a greater advantage. I don't think the Westin has cancellable rates though.

We would like to do the usual in NYC....Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, World Trade Center, Times Square, etc.

I still don't want to deal with a train and 2 large suitcases and two carry on bags. I wonder if there are car services to the airport that can be shared.

I've read the whole thread and you give such great advice. You are a true asset to CC.

If you are going to take the SOL ferry, you won't need the Staten Island one. Some people use it as a free way to pass by the SOL, but it's not a tourist attraction - it's public transportation.

Thanks for all the info Carol you have helped me greatly!!!:D:D

I think I have narrowed it down to we will be flying into EWR and staying at the Doubletree in Jersey City; we will only be here for one night so will need maybe lunch and dinner ideas and if there would happen to be a liquor store nearby?

Thanks for the quick reply.

We will have 3 separate cars and room config would be 4+4+2. We would be leaving super early that Saturday so we would be getting into the area by 7 p.m so we shouldn't have to worry about after dark arrival. I looked at the Hilton/Hampton Park&Cruise package and I tried to do the same with the Holiday Inn one but when you click on the package for some reason it never gives you the option to select it?

Call them and ask. Be sure to check out Holiday Inn Express on Tripadvîsor. I know it exists, but noone has really posted their experiences on this forum.

If you stay on Staten Island, coming from the south you want to take Exit 10 from the NJ Turnpike and go across the Outerbridge Crossing Bridge. This will save you some toll money to offset against the cost of the bridge.