Hurtigruten's Fram on way to Antarctica for 2014/2015 Season

MMDown Under

One more question from those that have been in the "cheap seats" :-)

Are there toiletries (shampoo, soap, etc) in the normal cabins? I know the suites have more amenities, but I can't find much that discusses what is in the non-suite cabins. Thanks!

So glad to find some people who have done similar trips! We're considering booking a trip on the Fram for the season after next (I've never planned something so far ahead before!), and I have a few questions...

Did you do the Antarctica camping excursion, or do you know anything about how it's booked?

I found something on the Hurtigruten site that said it could be booked on board the ship, and I didn't see it as an option on the booking pages. I would definitely confirm with the company, but I'm curious if anyone happens to know. (I was burned on my last trip, because my TA told me that I could book it on arrival and found out too late that that company required that it be booked in advance for insurance purposes, and the program was full months ahead of sailing.)

How many landings could you do in a day? Does everyone do landings at once, or do some people do zodiac cruises and/or wait on the ship until the others are back?

My last trip to Antarctica was on a much smaller ship, and I'm nervous about sailing with so many people. I know that IAATO guidelines call for no more than 100 pax at a site at one time, and some of the 125-person ships bend the rules a bit, but Fram is much larger than that. Is it going to cut down on our landing time a lot? I'm okay with zodiac cruising, because I adore glaciers and sea ice, but I'm not sure about being stuck on the ship.

Thanks in advance for your help! I've been looking at different companies and different sailings, and Fram has a great option visiting South Georgia, which I haven't visited, but with only 5 days around the continent and such a large number of passengers, I'm trying to decide if maybe we should skip South Georgia and sail a smaller ship to make the most of our time.

We have travelled on Fram three times now and have two more trips booked. We haven't done the camping but, like the kayaking, it was booked onboard. The advice is to ask to book as early as possible.

We have usually done two landings each day but, as you will know, in Antarctica it's 'we hope to...'. Everyone is assigned a boat group and the groups are rotated so that each group has a turn at going ashore first. On one of our trips we had ~150 passengers and on others there have been ~200 so we have always had plenty of time on landings and have never felt rushed. When we haven't been ashore there has always been plenty to see and do from/on the ship and there have been opportunities for Polarcirckel cruising (book early on the ship!) and kayaking.

Whatever you do, try to include South Georgia. It's simply awesome! Fram's 'Ultimate Antarctic Experience' includes two days in the Falklands, two on South Georgia, one in the South Orkneys and five on the peninsula, and it's the one we're doing in 2016 (and is almost a repeat of our first).

Edited by digitl

One more question from those that have been in the "cheap seats" :-)

There's no such thing as a cheap seat in Antarctica!

Are there toiletries (shampoo, soap, etc) in the normal cabins? I know the suites have more amenities, but I can't find much that discusses what is in the non-suite cabins. Thanks!

We're hardly ever in the cabin and we don't want to pay to sway (which means we can afford more trips!) so we've always had a cabin on deck three and have always had shampoo/soap in a dispenser in the shower. I'm not sure what additional 'amenities' the suites have but we've never felt that anything was 'missing' from our cabin.

Whatever you do, try to include South Georgia. It's simply awesome! Fram's 'Ultimate Antarctic Experience' includes two days in the Falklands, two on South Georgia, one in the South Orkneys and five on the peninsula, and it's the one we're doing in 2016 (and is almost a repeat of our first).

This is actually the trip I'm considering, so maybe we'll see you on board!

Do the Polarcirckel cruises cost extra? My last trip was with GAdventures, and whenever there were scenic zodiac cruises, everyone got to go. However, we only had four landing groups, so we could all fit in 8-10 zodiacs.

This is actually the trip I'm considering, so maybe we'll see you on board!

We have done (a very similar version of) it in reverse and can thoroughly recommend it. Perhaps that's why we're repeating it!

Do the Polarcirckel cruises cost extra? My last trip was with GAdventures, and whenever there were scenic zodiac cruises, everyone got to go. However, we only had four landing groups, so we could all fit in 8-10 zodiacs.

Some of the landings include an extended return to Fram by way of a Polarcirkel cruise and at some locations (across the front of Monacobreen on Spitsbergen was one notable example) everyone gets a Polarcirkel cruise. At other locations there may be additional cruises on offer for a fee. These are quite quickly snapped up so it's best to go to Reception and ask to have your name put down as soon as possible. If there is a high demand, and the opportunity arises, the expedition team may well arrange additional cruises. One of the highlights of our Antarctic Circle trip was a lengthy Polarcirkel cruise in Marguerite Bay. Crisply cold, a clear blue sky, stunningly beautiful ice, First Officer Benny driving and in no hurry to get back to his office! What's not to enjoy...?

I was twice in Antarctica with Fram also (and I'm booked for 2016 on the same trip as digitl ;)). I agree with all his answers, just to add some things.

Did you do the Antarctica camping excursion, or do you know anything about how it's booked?

I didn't go, but it is booked on board (along with the kayak tours and the extra Polarcirkelboat cruises). However, I found that it was not widely advertised, so I would advise to go early to the reception desk and inquire.

As mentioned there are Polarcirkelboat cruises which you can book (at an extra cost) during some landings, and sometimes when the conditions are right there will be a Polarcirkelboat cruise offered to all passengers. If you look at MS Fram website you can figure those out.

I found the group landing process very smooth and well organized and I never got bored waiting on the ship before and after (so much to see!).

Also : in spite of the South Orkneys being advertised in the trip itinerary, it's been at least 2 years in a row (I think more than that) where they couldn't go because of ice conditions, which means one extra day around the Peninsula. I have done this itinerary in 2013 and I think it's a very well balanced trip (I could have stayed longer in South Georgia though).

• 1 month later...