Cruising Fiordland National Park

Deiorhys

This was our experience:

DEC 21 (FRI) FIORDLAND NATIONAL PARK, NZ: 7 AM to 5 PM

Today we were officially in New Zealand, although we did not dock or anchor. We spent most of the day sailing through the Fiordland National Park (http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/national-parks/fiordland or http://www.fiordland.org.nz/About-Fiordland/default.asp). We started at the northern end, with Milford Sound and the weather was rainy, overcast, cool and VERY windy. We were very glad to have our wind jackets and pants (I needed a fleece shirt under my jacket) but some people were strolling around in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops. Our scenic cruising was accompanied with commentary by a park ranger on the history, geology and ecology of the park; the commentary was broadcast to the open decks and public areas.

Milford Sound has a very narrow entrance and was similar to the Norwegian Fjords, with waterfalls cascading down all the cliff sides. Most of these waterfalls are transient but we also saw year-round falls such as Stirling and Bowen Falls. Unfortunately, it was too cloudy to see the top of celebrated Mitre Peak. Nevertheless, the views were uniformly stunning! When we reached the end of the sound, we turned around and went out the same way. As we exited the fjord, we saw Southern Fur Seals on the aptly-named Seal Point.

The ship continued south along the coast of the park, past the entrances to other fjords, to Thompson Sound. This and the other three fjords we visited were much wider and did not have as many waterfalls as Milford Sound. However, now the sun was breaking through the clouds intermittently. Instead of turning around in Thompson Sound, we sailed around Secretary Island and exited through Doubtful Sound. We planned to return to Doubtful Sound during our post-cruise visit to Queenstown.

Next we sailed further down the coast, into Breaksea Sound, around Resolution Island and through Dusky Sound. The Park Ranger pointed out a number of sites, such as Astronomer's Point, that related to Captain Cook's voyages in the 1770s. He also noted that several of the islands in this area are now pest-free sanctuaries for native species endangered by animals (especially stoats) brought to New Zealand by the Europeans. As we exited Dusky sound, we passed Five Fingers Peninsula; these jagged rock pinnacles do look like the four fingers and thumb of a person's hand (at least from some perspectives).

:D

Thanks for posting. I just turned my laptop around to look. :D Looks like you had amazing weather. We board the Solstice in 20 days and I can't wait! :D

The best place on Solstice is on the Solstice Deck but if it's too cold/wet the Sky Lounge is a good substitute.

• 4 weeks later...

We're cruising the NZ -Tazmania - Australia route next year. I am wondering if we should plan on dressing for the fjords as we did for Glacier Bay and College Fjord in Alaska (last May)? Looks like there aren't any glaciers in the NZ fjords, but from reading these posts, it sounds like the weather will be similar- in other words, super lucky if you get sunshine; a bit less lucky if it at least isn't fogged in but is just cloudy with a bit of on and off light drizzle; pretty unlucky if it is raining steadily; and super unlucky if it is fogged in!

Can we expect it to be pretty chilly on deck for the entire cruise (mid to late Feb. of 2018)?

Thanks for any info!

We're cruising the NZ -Tazmania - Australia route next year. I am wondering if we should plan on dressing for the fjords as we did for Glacier Bay and College Fjord in Alaska (last May)? Looks like there aren't any glaciers in the NZ fjords, but from reading these posts, it sounds like the weather will be similar- in other words, super lucky if you get sunshine; a bit less lucky if it at least isn't fogged in but is just cloudy with a bit of on and off light drizzle; pretty unlucky if it is raining steadily; and super unlucky if it is fogged in!

Can we expect it to be pretty chilly on deck for the entire cruise (mid to late Feb. of 2018)?

Thanks for any info![/quote

Hi there

We did this trip last February and the only cold time was when we were sailing through the fjords. The rest of the time was in the 20's even had one day at 31deg. But we were very lucky as we never missed a port and we had no rough seas and only had light rain one morning.

Hope u enjoy your cruise. I loved it

We did it in December 2015 and, yes, Fiordland was chilly, especially Milford Sound which was in the late afternoon with the wind coming right down the sound. Layers and a windproof jacket were necessary, plus a warm hat and gloves.

Although the weather in NZ in February is usually nice, there is always the risk of a cool day so packing warm layers is advisable.

Rain in Milford Sound is spectacular, by the way. Amazing waterfalls everywhere.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thank you for sharing this information. We are sailing to this area in November on Radiance in an aft balcony. Our plan is to view from our balcony but after reading this thread I think it would be wonderful to hear the park ranger commentary. Maybe it can be heard from the balcony?

Thank you for sharing this information. We are sailing to this area in November on Radiance in an aft balcony. Our plan is to view from our balcony but after reading this thread I think it would be wonderful to hear the park ranger commentary. Maybe it can be heard from the balcony?

On Solstice they played the commentary on the tv too, which we could hear it from the balcony with the door open.

Thanks for the replies regarding weather in/around the fjords. Sounds like we should dress exactly like we did for the fjords of Alaska in May.

Another question, though. No whales in the fjords in Feb? What about while sailing offshore between NZ, Tazmania and Australia?

Glad the port or starboard side was discussed on this thread. (Yay! Looks like I was correct in booking starboard for our cruise!)

Not sure about whales in Fiordland at this time of year, there may be some but no guarantees. You should see seals, on a rock off to port going in, and dolphins in Milford Sound.

Look out for the tiny Hector's Dolphins if you visit Akaroa. They are very rare.

Whales do move up and down the coast of Australia but whether you'll see any is a different matter. Luck of the draw I'm afraid.

If you visit Dunedin look to your right as the ship leaves the harbour - that's where the albatross sanctuary is.

We were in the sounds in November 2014 and saw Orca's (Killer whales) and dolphins. Whale migration up the Australian coast is normally May-November. Not saying you won't see any in Feb, but it's pure luck to see them, especially out of normal migration season. We

Not sure about whales in Fiordland at this time of year, there may be some but no guarantees. You should see seals, on a rock off to port going in, and dolphins in Milford Sound.

Look out for the tiny Hector's Dolphins if you visit Akaroa. They are very rare.

Whales do move up and down the coast of Australia but whether you'll see any is a different matter. Luck of the draw I'm afraid.

If you visit Dunedin look to your right as the ship leaves the harbour - that's where the albatross sanctuary is.

I believe you're cruising with us in two weeks. I think I shall become your shadow. Just ignore me....;)

we cruised the fiordland in the month of February. we had a beautiful sunny day for our day in this area.

it was cold on the deck. fortunately, we knew this and we were rugged up in our thick jackets with scarves and gloves (yes...all that gear for that one glorious day!).

we saw a pod of dolphins when we were in there.

We are considering a cruise from Sydney to Taz to NZ and return to Sydney. The cruise would begin late March 2018 so we would be at Milford Sound around April 1. Will we freeze? What will the weather in the rest of NZ be like? We have sailed to Antarctica so we understand cold but we're just trying to figure out if we should go at a different time of year. Thanks!

We just returned from a New Zealand cruise on the Radiance and we had an aft cabin (1604). Unfortunately, we couldn't hear the commentary on our balcony, but due to the very windy and wet conditions, we didn't even try to view from the balcony.....instead, we viewed from inside the Schooner bar. The windows there made for great viewing, but the commentary wasn't broadcast in there, even though it was advertised to be! We only made it into the Milford Sound, due to bad weather....but at least we made it into one!