Klfhngr's story: I missed the boat in Nassau!

I don't understand why you think a trio excursion thru the ship would have made a difference.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. If this family had gone to a water park with the ship's excursions, they probably would've been told something like, "Busses to transport you back to the ship will be waiting at the main gate at 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00. Look for the Royal C logo." If the same situation had occured; that is, if the father had thought his son was still in the water park and couldn't contact him, he wouldn't have taken the bus back to the ship -- he would've been unwilling to leave his son behind --and the ship still would've left without him.

Be clear on what they're promising: They'll wait if the excursion is delayed. They don't promise that they'll wait for YOU. If you're not back at the group's meeting place at the appointed time, they'll leave you. If they return the group to the port, but you hang around shopping or drinking, they'll leave you. If your child wanders away or you become sick, they will leave you. No matter what type of excursion you choose, you're not absolved of personal responsibility.

While the left-behind fellow has my sympathy, this emergency was caused by too small a time buffer to return to the ship and poor communication, not the choice of excursion.

If you want to take the risk of going thru the hassles of missing the ship (like the OP explains) simply to save $5 or $10 bucks that's up to you. In my opinion it's not worth the gamble.
If ship excursions were free, I'd still pay for the private tours. It's about smaller groups, a greater range of choices, and better service. The fact that they're usually about half the price of the ship's excursions is just a bonus. Edited by MrsPete
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's me again.. first, I haven't been on CC since my posts here.

Second, my story was true, no exaggerations.

The only reason I'm posting now is because some asked to check in with final cost.

It came out to approx. $1500 to cover additional costs for missing the ship.

My best friend spent almost $500 from his pocket to cover cell phone usage to stay in contact with me and for renting a van to pick me up at the airport in Jamaica.

Finally, my friend that cause me to miss the boat pulled thru on his promise. We've had about 2k in free dental work done for us by him. We sincerely appreciate that he did this and it's a done deal.

Any yes, we're still very close friends, lol. Just saw him last weekend.

Alrighty, I'm out.

• Thanks 1

The only reason I'm posting now is because some asked to check in with final cost.

My best friend spent almost $500 from his pocket to cover cell phone usage to stay in contact with me and for renting a van to pick me up at the airport in Jamaica.

Finally, my friend that cause me to miss the boat pulled thru on his promise. We've had about 2k in free dental work done for us by him. We sincerely appreciate that he did this and it's a done deal.

Alrighty, I'm out.

Glad for the compensation of the coverage of the dental costs by your friend. Also glad you are still close friends. That's what grace is all about. "Forgive is our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us", right?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for replying here! I checked with an admin first, and I hope you didn't mind me consolidating your story and posting it here.

My business is all about analyzing things and seeing how we can prevent future incidents, so I think it's great to read it and think about what it must have been like.

Going from the bliss of vacation, to the horror of missing your family and then feeling abandoned! :eek:

So thanks again for writing it!

WOW!!! I had tears in my eyes reading this story - and will most likely have nightmares tonight - lol. First let me say to klfhngr - you are a GREAT father! You did what you thought you had to do in regards to your son and that is what counts.

I've always been terrified of missing the ship - at least now I know what to expect. I'm doing a re-thinking of what I do or don't take on shore but I've ALWAYS - taken my passport and will continue to do so. I'll be adding an emergency call list.

Thank you for sharing your story - it takes guts and for those that would criticize you - they should remember that they haven't walked in your shoes.

Edited by Jane2357
  • Like 1

Scary story, as a female I would be really concerned. I see how easy it can be to be left and we only take ship excursions. We have been delayed for. Various reasons out of our control and do wonder if they would really wait. I always take my passport now ever since the Concordia incident passports became a big problem with those people. I also take a back pack with my MacGyver tool Pac most any excursions there is somewhere to stow the bag I am prepared for nearly anything. I don't have enough cash some times but may rethink that . I do wonder if it was me I think I would have stayed at Atlantis and worked at getting back to Florida and wait for the cruise to be over. Check out my travel blog http://www.atouristlife.com

Edited by flowers12155

Many MANY thanks for sharing your story.

I've never brought my passport with me into port. RCCL always says not to, or at least reminds you that "only your SeaPass card is necessary". But based on your story, it now seems foolish to leave my passport on board.

As far as I know they hand the passport to the port agent before the ship leaves without the passenger. Keep your passport in the safe, not somewhere hidden in the cabin. The safe can be opened by ship security.

Some ships keep all passports, depends on the itinerary.

Please do not think that they will go and search through your cabin or safe looking for your passport - by the time they realize you are not going to make it - they don't have the time. The key to taking your passport with you off the ship is to keep it safe - lots of security things you can buy that go under your clothes.

• 1 month later...

We cruised with some friends and their two boys, 20 and 18. We were in Grand Cayman, and had all gone to the Turtle Farm. We got back to the port, and the boys, who had never been out of the U.S. or on a plane, wanted to shop around the port by themselves. Their parents agreed and we all split up, agreeing to meet at the pier at a certain time. We got back on time, and we couldn't see the boys. This is a tender port, and there is an area where the tours meet and then a gate and then the pier. We were at the gate waiting, the boys were waiting at the end of the pier where the tender docks. The mother was in tears and the father was mad. DH and I left them to see if they were on the ship. Before we got to the tender, someone told the boys it was the last tender, so they boarded. The parents talked to the guard at the gate, who contacted the ship, and found out they were not onboard. They freaked out and the tender, with us and the boys, had not reached the ship yet. The boys were on the top deck, we were below deck, and we didn't see each other. The port authority was contacted when the boys dinged aboard, and the parents were put on the pilot boat and boarded with the pilot. Dinner was quiet that night. Moral of the story, be very specific when agreeing on a meeting place... under a specific sign or lampost.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, I'm out.

Wow, Klfhngr, thanks for sharing your story. Did you ever think of writing a movie script of your story? You tell it so well, and it could be a hilarious comedy from the point of view of an audience (not for you or your family, of course). You might recoup some of your losses, and then some!

This really puts a new spin on all those posts about watching for "dock runners". Those people might have a little more compassion in future.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, that is quite a story!!! I could just feel my stomach dropping to my feet as the ship sailed without you. And the hotel had me thinking about Tom Hanks staying in the flea bag hotel in New York as a Large kid. I will think about this story if/when I take my daughter and grand daughter on a cruise and my daughter wants to go off and do her own thing. Granted she's 30, but staying in Nassau alone? No passport, cell phone, limited cash and credit card!!! I think she would just hope a plane home and forget the rest of the trip! Thank you for sharing your story. I appreciate all the advice you gave and how serious they are that you make it back on time!!! Phew!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Scary story, as a female I would be really concerned. I see how easy it can be to be left and we only take ship excursions. We have been delayed for. Various reasons out of our control and do wonder if they would really wait. I always take my passport now ever since the Concordia incident passports became a big problem with those people. I also take a back pack with my MacGyver tool Pac most any excursions there is somewhere to stow the bag I am prepared for nearly anything. I don't have enough cash some times but may rethink that . I do wonder if it was me I think I would have stayed at Atlantis and worked at getting back to Florida and wait for the cruise to be over. Check out my travel blog http://www.atouristlife.com

If you miss the ship and the ship has your passport, your passport is given to the port agent before the ship leaves so always keep that paper with the ship agents name and telephone number.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing. This has really made me re-think what I carry on shore.

You had a great travel agent. I usually book my own cruises without a TA, this make me rethink this decision. I think I would have been so panicked I would have had a hard time making decisions.

Also, What happened to any of the RCCL on shore people? I was under the impression that the cruise lines had a person on shore in the ports to assist in situations like this.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for bumping this up everyone. i am all about preparing for bad situations. i was "stranded" in another country while my traveling partner (who made all the plans, had all the money etc) was put in the hospital for several weeks. it has completely changed the way i travel and i am always prepared to fend for myself if i have to. i got more credit available just for these emergencies.

we don't want to think about crappy stuff happening on vacation, but it can.

Every time the subject of cruising comes up amongst my friends and co-workers, I tell Klfhngr's story. It's the stuff of legends.

I remember the first time I read it to my husband, late at night in a hushed tone. The look of abject terror in his eyes. :)

• Like 1