To take the DSLR or not?

Hoosier2ram

Why do you have it, if not to use it? While I wouldn't take it to the beach, if there's no one to watch it while you're swimming, what's the point of having things if you don't use them?

For me, I don't even take photos...they always look like crap, and I spend so much time trying to find the "perfect shot", that I miss enjoying where I am!

I was struggling with this too. It's my first cruise and I've been back and forth trying to decide whether to take it or not. I am opting not to. It's heavy. I don't want it to break. I want to spend less time setting up great shots and more time enjoying my vacation. I love photography, and taking pictures, but for a first trip I think I'm going to just enjoy the scenery. However, I do have a nice underwater camera and an older digital that still takes really good pictures, so I guess I have other options.

I have a Canon T4i and took it on our Eastern Med Cruise October a year ago. I had 10 memory sticks and took 27 movies and just over 600 pictures all with an 18-135 IS lens that captured all I could see. Yes taking pictures of places that I studied about in school was and continues to be a really great thing. Memories of what I saw and experienced keep me sharp and wanting to do the next adventure.

Tis a quandry. Over my last several cruises I have steadily decreased my camera usage in favor of the iPhone. First to go was my 600mm lens then, on my last two cruises I think I took less than 10 pictures with my SLR. The quality of digital images with an iPhone, especially in low light conditions is amazing. If I go to 8x10 I can see image loss but I don't miss the extra weight and bulk.

I think I have the compromise camera. I have a Canon Powershot 20. It is lighter than an DSLR and more versatile than a point and shoot. It has a 20 to 1 zoom without a huge lens.

My wife also takes her little Olympus for her pictures.

The two pictures below were taken from the top of the Jungfrauhoch in Switzerland of the same place, one at 50 mm and one at 20X.

IMG_2045.jpg.bcc1584946bae6099f0c4a1828c7204c.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg.33703a36af50dd0c201889e3a8fd9714.jpg

Take it and take at least 1,000 pictures.

I totally agree! I used a separate flash card for each day and/or island. Our 7 day from San Juan, I ended up taking almost 9000. After all-it is easy enough to delete the ones that aren't good, and you might surprise yourself with that "ONE" shot. And take all the lenses you have also.

In general, I like to have a variety of different photos, which means a variety of cameras: DSLR for quality pictures of scenery/people, a point-and-shoot for miscellaneous photos (anyone else take pictures of every dish they eat? :p), a camera phone for quick shots that would take too long for an actual camera to power up and compose a shot. It's easier to carry this variety of equipment around if I'm not by myself.

For beach/water shots that are in pretty shallow waters, I either use an underwater camera or I find it's cheaper to get one of those waterproof phone cases, put my iPhone in there, and use it. The second option might not appeal to everyone, especially if you're attached to your phone.

I have a DSLR. I'd be interested to hear if people take their SLR with them or do you suffice with the phone camera and other cheaper, smaller, more portable cameras?

I am planning to take my daughter's point and shoot and also a GoPro Hero4. I have a DSLR but I think its too bulky to carry... and the way I plan to spend the cruise most of the time (next to water) it wont be something I will be using much. I think between the P&S and the GoPro, I should have good coverage :)

I have a DSLR. I'd be interested to hear if people take their SLR with them or do you suffice with the phone camera and other cheaper, smaller, more portable cameras?

I've only ever once gone on any sort of holiday without my SLR [D or otherwise often more than 1] and that was a weight issue when I took a cross-over with a 20X zoom. missed my real camera.

It depends though on how fanatical you are about your photography, I also take 3 or 4 lenses at a minimum and usually a couple of flashes, as well as a compact.

I've only ever once gone on any sort of holiday without my SLR [D or otherwise often more than 1] and that was a weight issue when I took a cross-over with a 20X zoom. missed my real camera.

It depends though on how fanatical you are about your photography, I also take 3 or 4 lenses at a minimum and usually a couple of flashes, as well as a compact.

I now travel without my "real" camera now and my pictures are not as satisfactory as in the past. I absolutely loved the control of my high power zoom. I can no longer carry the weight of it now due to a back injury and have to be satisfied (though not) with a pocket camera.

I have a Pentax DSLR that I will use on the cruise ship. It will be used with a telephoto lens mainly to take pics as we approach and leave the ports. After a lot of research, I just purchased an Olympus TG820. This will be used in ports as it is waterproof and dustproof. Not to comfortable with taking the DSLR to the beach. Way too much money invested in the DSLR and lenses.

Whatever you decide, take a lot of pics.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

I now travel without my "real" camera now and my pictures are not as satisfactory as in the past. I absolutely loved the control of my high power zoom. I can no longer carry the weight of it now due to a back injury and have to be satisfied (though not) with a pocket camera.

I certainly sympathize with that as I have back injury myself and miss being able to get low etc to get the best position for a shot have you tried one of the mega zooms like the Canon Sx 50 or equivalent?

I have a waterproof point-and-shoot that I feel much more comfortable with carrying to the beach, etc. It fits in my pocket and takes really great pictures. DSLRs obviously give you more control and have better optics, but I would be worried about damage or loss, and they are much heavier and bulky to carry.

With a little practice, you can get really good pictures from a point and shoot, but if you want to take advantage of your DSLR, then use it. Whatever you're more comfortable with.

I have two DSLRs, and always take at least one. DW has a Nikon point and shoot, and that supplements what I have in some situations. Over the years, I have made several options available. In someplace like the Galapagos and some places in Alaska, where there are simply tons of opportunities, I take both DSLRS, carry them on a Cotton Carrier belt, so I have two lenses ready to go at all times. Some places I carry a small backpack that has one camera and several lenses for me. In still other places, I carry a single camera, either on a standard, shoulder strap or simply with a hand strap. I have actually found the hand strap to be quite useful as I walk around.

If you are used to a DSLR, the quality of the output is something you will certainly miss with anything else. At the same time, there are places where a point and shoot will suffice for a short period of time, or might be more practical. Walking around Disney World all day and taking rides does make life with a DSLR complicated!

DW always tells me I am nuts, but I take the DSLR on every single trip, and have taken tons of images. It is primarily these pictures that end up in our cruise photo books.

Second the comment on the iPhone -- the camera is lousy compared to a real camera. I don't have the iPhone 6, but the one on my 5 takes barely adequate pictures if the circumstances are just right. Cameras on other phones are much better these days, but still not my selection for a photographer on a trip.

I totally agree! I used a separate flash card for each day and/or island. Our 7 day from San Juan, I ended up taking almost 9000. After all-it is easy enough to delete the ones that aren't good, and you might surprise yourself with that "ONE" shot. And take all the lenses you have also.

9,000 shots?! WOW! I transfer my images to my iPad to see if I have that "ONE" shot. Works great especially when trying to do those artsy shots with ND filters and very slow shutter speed. In some ports, though, I leave the big guy on the ship and go with my Powershot.

If you are used to a DSLR, the quality of the output is something you will certainly miss with anything else. At the same time, there are places where a point and shoot will suffice for a short period of time, or might be more practical. Walking around Disney World all day and taking rides does make life with a DSLR complicated!

DW always tells me I am nuts, but I take the DSLR on every single trip, and have taken tons of images. It is primarily these pictures that end up in our cruise photo books.

Second the comment on the iPhone -- the camera is lousy compared to a real camera. I don't have the iPhone 6, but the one on my 5 takes barely adequate pictures if the circumstances are just right. Cameras on other phones are much better these days, but still not my selection for a photographer on a trip.

I carry the dslr and my DW uses her iphone. We have a nice point & shoot but she stopped carrying it once she got the iPhone. My pics end up in the photo books as well. All pics of her with the dslr look good while her iPhone pics of me look more like a "selfie".:(

I think this is one of those intensely personal questions that will vary by person and hobby/passion level.

When we traveled to Germany I took a NICE camera. When I got there I took almost every photo with my phone, because it was more practical, more available/quick, and I captured the memories as they were happening instead of worrying about setting up a shot.

I took 900 photos with my phone and about 40 with the camera. Not surprisingly, the ones with my phone actually turned out better.

But, YMMV of course! :)