Use of personal cell in port...when to shut off?

treehugr

Forgive my stupid question, but we typically shut the phones off and place in the safe until such time it's time to debark. On this cruise we have a need to communicate as long as we can prior to departure as well as all other ports on our itinerary. We have checked with our provider and all 3 ports they have service for (.20 per min.). With regards to Miami, does anyone know how far out we can talk prior to needing to shut phones off? And in the ports I'm assuming calls are safe to make once we dock? Don't want to end up with any ridiculous charges if possible...thank you for your replies.

I turn on the roaming notification on my phone. When the phone no longer picks up the shore tower, I get a roaming notice and no phone service until I accept the roaming (this happens even though I don't have a roaming charge on my plan).

I find the cell loses the shore tower pretty close in to shore (less then two miles).

This is not a stupid question. I still see people posting that they returned home and got a cell phone bill for crazy high amounts. So by asking this question you may have just saved someone that didn't understand that cell phones work while as sea but are charged at a very different rate. (Cellular @ Sea + Roaming + data can = $500 cell phone bills)

I think others have answered your question.

The important thing to remember is not just turning on and off your phone, but make sure your cellular data is turned off for the duration of your cruise. This feature is what will incur charges when you are out of the country.

If you don't shut the data down, every time you turn on your phone, it will download stored emails, notifications, etc. Thats why people get hit with big bills.

Talk to your provider and ask them to shut off any international data roaming so there are no accidents when you use your phone in ports. Even for the phone calls you have to make, consider finding a free wifi (Starbucks are everywhere! and you don't even have to buy anything or go inside) and using something like Google Voice or Skype to make 2 cent per minute calls or free if you are calling someone with Google Voice or Skype. My kids have Skype on their phones and computers, so our calls to them are always free.

I turn on the roaming notification on my phone. When the phone no longer picks up the shore tower, I get a roaming notice and no phone service until I accept the roaming (this happens even though I don't have a roaming charge on my plan).

I find the cell loses the shore tower pretty close in to shore (less then two miles).

This :)

Forgive my stupid question, but we typically shut the phones off and place in the safe until such time it's time to debark. On this cruise we have a need to communicate as long as we can prior to departure as well as all other ports on our itinerary. We have checked with our provider and all 3 ports they have service for (.20 per min.). With regards to Miami, does anyone know how far out we can talk prior to needing to shut phones off? And in the ports I'm assuming calls are safe to make once we dock? Don't want to end up with any ridiculous charges if possible...thank you for your replies.

Triple check with your provider to make sure of the correct information.

I lose service as soon I leave a port