Disney cancelled my cruise without telling me

supersi

My automobile insurance was cancelled in a similar manner. There was no invoice, no phone call, no e-mail........nothing.

When I went to re-activale, it resulted in a new (higher) premium, loss of my "good driver discount", and of course a lapse in coverage.

I have had the same insurance company for over 40 years, and this is how much they cared......."0".

David

This almost happened to me on my first cruise with carnival. I forgot the final payment date, assuming they would send me an email a few days ahead of time. When I called 2 or three days late, I was worried, but a very calm rep was able to process my payment and everything was fine. After that, I made very careful note of final payment deadlines, and I am still surprised there are no email reminders sent out, since it wouldn't cost the company anything to send an automatic email.

I feel the need to write about my horrible and upsetting experience with Disney cruise line.

We have done a handful of cruises on various cruise lines (Princess, HAL, etc). In Dec 2013 we took the kids on the Disney Fantasy and were so impressed with the entire experience that while onboard we booked another cruise for this year (leaving in two days, Nov 2014). We have raved about Disney cruise line to many of our friends since that first experience.

In August I got a confirmation email from Disney with all the details of our upcoming cruise. In there it said the final payment amount and when it was due. I assumed that this would be automatically charged to our credit card, like how every other payment of this type happens when they have your details on file. I had a brief moment of excitement at the thought of the cruise in a few months, then forgot all about the email and got on with the busyness of summer.

Well I was wrong in my assumption of the auto-charge to my credit card. When the date passed, Disney cancelled my cruise. No phone calls to collect payment, no other email reminders or notification of the cancellation. They just cancelled it. Without telling me.

In the meantime we had booked flights, hotels, Lego Land tickets, time off with employers, rental cars, shuttle transportation and arranged for the kids to miss school for a week.

Today I tried to do the cruise online checkin and got a strange error message about no reservation existing. It still let me login with my reservation number, but everything was greyed out. I called Disney customer service to make sure everything was in order, thinking it was a website glitch.

They then informed me about the non-payment and the resulting cruise cancellation. I was in complete and utter disbelief. The lady offered an apology and said she could understand how upsetting this must be (REALLY??? You've had your holiday plans cancelled on you without you knowing about it???? No way!). Complete insincerity. She said she could book me a room at the prevailing rates and that the onboard booking discount we received in Nov 2013 would be lost.

I asked to speak to her supervisor who was equally unwilling to try and make things right. She wouldn't honour the original price and wouldn't offer an onboard credit to make up the difference. Both of them I felt were insincere in their apologies and lacked any sort of empathy as to how incredibly upsetting this experience was.

I am completely flabbergasted that Disney would treat a customer in this way. They had my phone number, my mailing address, my email address, and yet they cancelled my cruise without any contact whatsoever. Then when it was clear it was some sort of misunderstanding, they were completely unwilling to try and make things right.

All this because of a single line in a single email. The requirement to get in touch with Disney to make the payment was not clear. There should have been a reminder again a few days before if the payment is still not made. Then last but not least they should tell you if they've cancelled your cruise. But no, none of the above.

I told the supervisor, that this is the worst holiday and customer service experience I've ever had. I'm in complete disbelief that this would happen at the hands of Disney. I cannot believe the policy, the lack of communication, and the insincerity and unhelpfulness of the customer service supervisor and the other customer service agent.

With no other option I paid the prevailing rate to keep our holiday intact in two days time, but it will likely be our last experience with Disney Cruise Line.

I'm so sorry. I hope you have a wonderful trip just the same. ❤

<><

You got a notification in Aug right? and the cruise is in Nov. The cruise has to be paid 75 days prior to your sail date, so my guess is that was the final payment reminder and was probably due then.

Disney does send out notifications if it hasn't been paid, so it is likely you missed it.

And like others said, Disney does NOT autocollect. Not many vendors in travel do.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Reading and understanding the contract, and either setting a reminder on your phone or noting it on a calendar as to when to make the final payment, checking your credit card statement would have eliminated this situation.

The OP unfortunately did neither of these and is fortunate enough that the cruise wasn't sold out, so was able to pay the additional price.

TA's are great, but not 100% necessary, and there is nothing to say the OP wouldn't have not read the TA's email properly either.

Personal responsibility is key. But I would expect DCL to send an email saying due to non payment, your cruise is cancelled and the deposit will be refunded to your credit card/account.

ex techie

Totally agree. Not Disney's fault at all. The OP should use a travel agent to prevent this from happening. And if the travel agent drops the ball, you can go after them and their E&O insurance!

Edited by e2011

I completely understand where you're coming from, that sounds like an easy miss from the way you describe it. Could happen to anyone. But the assumption that Disney would auto-charge you is a bad one.. imagine if they did? The payment goes thru now someones card is maxed out. They can't buy groceries or gas. It would be dangerous for Disney to assume final payment will go on the same card. It could be a whole lot worse for someone if they did.

Tough learning moment all around. Hopefully they find a way make it right for you.

In the email I referred to received in August, it also said, "If payments are not received by due date, reservation will automatically cancel the next day." It is easy to miss an email, let alone a single line in a single email. If they're going to cancel my holiday on me then please give me numerous, very clear warnings and then tell me again when it's been done!

It was an incorrect assumption on my part that my card would be automatically charged. My issue is the lack of communication and completely unsympathetic and unhelpful customer service agents.

This is Disney we're talking about here! Their brand is about magic, happiness and family -- someone believing in that brand should not have their holiday cancelled and not know about it!!

Sorry to hear that.

I almost made the same mistake like you did until I checked my credit card record online, I went re-read the email and figured would have to pay the full - since I am not American so I pay close attention to our exchange rate which ran like a roller caster at the time.

My trip is next week but somehow I felt *this* DisneyCL is not the same as the Disney World ... unfortunately.

Perhaps we can all agree on how many reminders DCL needs to send and then we can inform Mr. Holz of this number.

Obviously, sophisticated cruisers who book directly thru DCL cannot be bothered with such mundane details as reading and making note of the important information on their reservation or carefully reading a single e-mail reminder which contains only a single line of critical info.

SO, once on the reservation and one near to date reminder is not enough? How many SHOULD they send?:eek:

Perhaps we can all agree on how many reminders DCL needs to send and then we can inform Mr. Holz of this number.

Obviously' date=' sophisticated cruisers who book directly thru DCL cannot be bothered with such mundane details as reading and making note of the important information on their reservation or carefully reading a single e-mail reminder which contains only a single line of critical info.

SO, once on the reservation and one near to date reminder is not enough? How many SHOULD they send?:eek:[/quote']

If you don't notice the first one, you aren't likely to notice additional emails.

I put a reminder into my calendar for a week and then a day ahead of any major financial responsibilities outside of the normal monthly bills to make sure nothing slips through the cracks. It's no different than putting a reminder for a doctor appointment or dinner date or someone's birthday.

The assumption that automatic payments would be made is not Disney's fault - no cruise line as far as I know automatically processes final payments or says they do.

Our card has always been automatically charged at final payment, at least, I don't ever recall having to call to have the final payment made. I am a bit confused though that the OP never noticed that what was likely a very large credit card charge that she should have expected never came through. I know not everyone watches their accounts that closely, but I think most people would probably notice a several thousand dollar charge not showing up when it was expected.

Obviously' date=' sophisticated cruisers who book directly thru DCL cannot be bothered with such mundane details as reading and making note of the important information on their reservation or carefully reading a single e-mail reminder which contains only a single line of critical info.

SO, once on the reservation and one near to date reminder is not enough? How many SHOULD they send?:eek:[/quote']

More than worrying about the number, it seems like an email that says....

Dear _____,

Final payment on your cruise is due on ___________. If you do not contact us at (XXX) XXX-XXXX on or before that date to make final payment your upcoming cruise on the Disney _______ departing on ________ WILL BE CANCELLED. Please contact DCL as soon as possible to make your final payment and avoid cancellation. We look forward to seeing you on board the Disney ________ in just a few short months.

DCL

I'm sorry this happened to you. I suppose it would have been a good move for DCL to rebook you at your original rate.

On the flip side, DCL would probably have to hire a zillion more people to handle calls from people if they did automatically charge that final bill. :eek:

I also used a TA and got an e-mail about 10 days before final payment was due to make the payment.

Our card has always been automatically charged at final payment, at least, I don't ever recall having to call to have the final payment made

Do you book with a TA who perhaps takes care of it for you? You can also make the payment online; no need to call.

My trip is next week but somehow I felt *this* DisneyCL is not the same as the Disney World ... unfortunately.

WDW doesn't autocharge, either, though.

I personally feel that the wording on all the emails I get from them about any given reservation is enough.

They list out the date, if I included ground transfers, insurance, they show me the total and what I've already paid, and the due date and what's due. Then they have this:

If payments are not received by due date, reservation will automatically cancel the next day and applicable cancellation fees will be assessed. Increases in Government Taxes and Fees may be reflected in your balance.

Do you book with a TA who perhaps takes care of it for you? You can also make the payment online; no need to call.

WDW doesn't autocharge, either, though.

I personally feel that the wording on all the emails I get from them about any given reservation is enough.

They list out the date, if I included ground transfers, insurance, they show me the total and what I've already paid, and the due date and what's due. Then they have this:

I have on some cruises used a TA but not on others. Two of the carnival cruises and the NCL cruise were direct. The final payment was automatic in both cases. I don't have an issue with them not doing that, but I would think an email along the lines of what I suggested would be appropriate.

I have on some cruises used a TA but not on others. Two of the carnival cruises and the NCL cruise were direct. The final payment was automatic in both cases. I don't have an issue with them not doing that, but I would think an email along the lines of what I suggested would be appropriate.

That's odd because I have worked with all 3 cruise lines and none of them autocharge that i am aware of. I do think Carnival might have an option to add that, but you have to add it, they don't do it automatically.

There is only one place that I can even think of that does that off the top of my head and that is Universal Studios.

That's odd because I have worked with all 3 cruise lines and none of them autocharge that i am aware of. I do think Carnival might have an option to add that, but you have to add it, they don't do it automatically.

There is only one place that I can even think of that does that off the top of my head and that is Universal Studios.

It's possible my PVP did it for me. I recall her asking if I wanted the final payment charged to the same card when I made the booking. It's possible if I'd booked online that wouldn't have happened, I don't know.

Edited by schittenden

I'm afraid it was YOUR responsibility to determine whether you had to pay or it would be automatically deducted. Also, didn't you notice when no final payment was made to your card and your deposit was deducted????? No one fault's but your own. Hard lesson learned - be more conscientious about your trip details.

For sure. It's your responsibility to make a note of the dates and know IF the payment will be automatically deducted. The ONLY time I've seen that stated anywhere was with a group cruise I was on where the TA working with our group made it clear that payment would be charged to the CC on file on the due date if they had not received full payment in another form (either by check or by paying a little along the way) prior to that date.

I booked two DCL cruises on the 72-hour hold while I decided and awaited a check. Both confirmations I got clearly stated that a deposit was required by the required date or the reservations would be cancelled. It was CRYSTAL CLEAR. I paid the deposit on the one I chose to keep and just ignored the other one. As I expected - because I figure if I'm old enough to book and take vacations on my own I'm old enough to make note of due dates and policies - I did NOT get anything from DCL saying "Hey! We see you have a cruise on hold and the deposit date is now. Do you want to book??" Nope. When I looked the next day, it had disappeared from my cruises page. No problem. I will have my upcoming cruises paid off well before the PIF date, but I have that date (well, 90 days for DCL so I can book excursions and stuff) marked on my calendar just on the off chance I don't get it PIF before.

I get that there are people who don't want to give up their money one day more than necessary, but I'd rather have things paid off early than deal with something like a crashed internet and/or no phone access the day that payment is due and know that it's done than fret over people "making interest" off my money.

• 1 month later...

I know your experience was upsetting but I don't think it's fair to blame Disney. It is not a company's responsibility to remind you to pay your bills on time. I don't think the customer representatives were in the wrong either. They were under no obligation to provide you with anything more than what they gave you. You act like you are a victim, but you are the one who created the mess. Take responsibility instead of trying to tarnish the reputation of the company.

I know your experience was upsetting but I don't think it's fair to blame Disney. It is not a company's responsibility to remind you to pay your bills on time. I don't think the customer representatives were in the wrong either. They were under no obligation to provide you with anything more than what they gave you. You act like you are a victim, but you are the one who created the mess. Take responsibility instead of trying to tarnish the reputation of the company.

I wouldn't worry. Hopefully supersi will have better luck (experience and judgement of responsibility) on their RCI cruise.

They are active on CC, but chose to not reply anymore when one's own responsibility was mentioned and other disagreed with them.

Hopefully RCI will take additional steps to walk them through the cruise downpayment, and final payment steps to ensure they have a great cruise.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Am I the only person who was receiving paper correspondence from DCL? And perhaps the only one checking the DCL reservation? I called them to ask details about the final payment and also on more than one occasion. They were so helpful to me. The last person I spoke to advised me to call early in the day or the day before since so many people wait until the last minute to pay the final payment.

I imagine auto-pay of the last payment for someone who intends to cancel would have caused much more aggravation than the person who was cancelled due to non-payment.

I'm sorry we have to learn lessons this way. I can't say I haven't experienced such issues other than with DCL. It's how we learn smarter ways to travel.

You'll have a wonderful cruise!!!

I got a packet of documents from DCL a month or so ago, even though I did all the check in nonsense online. But I suspect everyone gets that stuff through the mail since the luggage tags are in the packet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You made your PIF payment before the deadline, the Original Poster didn't?

Hense you got your cruise documents?

In what way was the online check in nonsense?

ex techie