Jeans in the Dining Room?

Carol28

Interesting. I've never thought about that. Question: When doing so, do you expect to be seated with "better" people? More "interesting" people? Get better tasting food? I don't begrudge anyone the choice of being seated with whomever they choose. But I am genuinely curious as to what the actual goal is.

I've been following your posts long enough to know that you are an intelligent person, so I think you know where I'm going...

Edited by kendon

It is clear that there are many ways to confront this issue, but this pretty much sums up my approach. I dress out of respect for my host. When my host invites me to a costume party and I accept, I respect their invitation and wear a costume. When my host invites me to a Formal dinner and I accept the invitation, I dress in Formal attire out of respect for my host. Same goes for Smart Casual. Same goes for "no swim wear in the dining area". The host extends an invitation with rules/guidelines and I comply. And no....The fact that I am paying to be on the ship does not reverse the roles or change the rules. I pay the Waldorf Astoria $500 to attend their New Year's Eve party that says "Black Tie" on the information sheet. The fact that I am paying to attend doesn't mean that I get to rewrite the rules.

Very well said. Thank you.

With multiple Dining Rooms all serving the same menu why not delegate one as strictly Formal and the others can be resort casual/smart casual/nautical, whatever.

To those saying they don't want Princess to slide down to be Carnival - I hear your words.

I wear a suit about 50% of the formal nights. The others I wear slacks and a button up shirt, sometimes sport coat as well. I'm just not very comfortable being dressed in a suit for dinner so I won't do it multiple times per vacation; if I am not comfortable I enjoy the evening less. I won't pay additional for another venue. I won't bypass the table service I've paid for. If that offends anyone the problem is purely yours at that point. If anyone thinks slacks and a button up shirt = gym shorts and lawn mowing clothes there is no conversing with you at all further on the subject.

Just returned from a cruise. In the Crown Grill (where we pay extra) there was man eating at a table next to us. He was wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Not a nice pair of jeans. It looked like work jeans that have not been changed in a week. The tee shirt was worse. I don't think he ever changed the shirt since embarking a week prior. He stank. And we could smell him all through our meal. How he was allowed to eat in the Crown Grill wearing those jeans and shirt is beyond me. (Now that I think about I should have asked to be moved.)

Formal Night: I can't understand the excuses given why men won't wear a suit like I am on vacation ......so what. If you don't feel you want to ruin your vacation by dressing nice and complying with the dress code .. simple just don't try to sneak into the MRD especially on formal night. How hard is that!

Another Formal night excuse: I don't own a suit. If a man can spend thousands of dollars for a cruise he can spend a couple of hundred dollars and buy a suit which can also be used for weddings and funerals.

MDR: To change into a pair of Dockers (around $40) takes about about all of 10 seconds. To change from a tee shirt to a nice sports shirt or polo shirt another 10 seconds. It is not that hard. If you are smelly and need to take shower before changing, you need to take a shower no matter what you wear.

But to be honest I am biased. As a teacher I spent 40 years dealing with dress code violations from 12 years olds and their excuses why they can't comply.

Edited by dfields1814

Is it OK to wear a sport coat with a polo shirt, and slacks, and boat shoes, on Formal Nights in MDR? Or a light blue seersucker sport coat? Tie optional?

The reason I ask is we will be on a 10 day Mexico trip, and I really don't want to bring a dark suit.

But I don't want to look out of place if the men are wearing dark suits with ties, or tuxedos..

Thank you.

Sorry, but I think our country is doing just fine and will be a world leader for many generations to come.

I agree and people will go to Formal Nights on Princess and put their style and spin on what Formal wear means and MDR dress will still be a highly and hotly debated topic on CC for generations to come.....oy vey!!!!! :D

Is it OK to wear a sport coat with a polo shirt, and slacks, and boat shoes, on Formal Nights in MDR? Or a light blue seersucker sport coat? Tie optional?

The reason I ask is we will be on a 10 day Mexico trip, and I really don't want to bring a dark suit.

You will be allowed in the dining room but you will be in a very small minority. Cruises longer than seven days tend to have an older demographic who respect the dress request. It's up to you whether you're comfortable dressed that way when just about everyone will be dressier.

FYI, the dress in the specialty restaurants on formal nights is smart casual.

Edited by Pam in CA

I like jeans and often wear nice jeans to the dining room along with a nice jacket and usually a scarf on non-formal nights. But apparently Princess does not turn a turn away anyone from the MDR no matter how poorly dressed and I have seen a few. I guess it's a PR problem with those who like to wear shorts and baseball caps, but really there should be a few standards,

Just returned from a cruise. In the Crown Grill (where we pay extra) there was man eating at a table next to us. He was wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Not a nice pair of jeans. It looked like work jeans that have not been changed in a week. The tee shirt was worse. I don't think he ever changed the shirt since embarking a week prior. He stank. And we could smell him all through our meal. How he was allowed to eat in the Crown Grill wearing those jeans and shirt is beyond me. (Now that I think about I should have asked to be moved.)

Formal Night: I can't understand the excuses given why men won't wear a suit like I am on vacation ......so what. If you don't feel you want to ruin your vacation by dressing nice and complying with the dress code .. simple just don't try to sneak into the MRD especially on formal night. How hard is that!

Another Formal night excuse: I don't own a suit. If a man can spend thousands of dollars for a cruise he can spend a couple of hundred dollars and buy a suit which can also be used for weddings and funerals.

MDR: To change into a pair of Dockers (around $40) takes about about all of 10 seconds. To change from a tee shirt to a nice sports shirt or polo shirt another 10 seconds. It is not that hard. If you are smelly and need to take shower before changing, you need to take a shower no matter what you wear.

But to be honest I am biased. As a teacher I spent 40 years dealing with dress code violations from 12 years olds and their excuses why they can't comply.

We just returned from a 29 day cruise that included 4 Formal nights. We chose to forgo two of them and eat in one of the specialty restaurants instead. We did not dress "formal" for those, but we dressed nicely and DH wore a jacket. On the two Formal nights we did attend in the MDR, we dressed formally. That is just what we did.

But I don't want to look out of place if the men are wearing dark suits with ties, or tuxedos..

Thank you.

You will look out of place dressed like that. I'm not saying it is wrong or right, I"m just saying yes, you will look out of place. If you wear a dark suit and tie that would be dressy enough.

It is clear that there are many ways to confront this issue, but this pretty much sums up my approach. I dress out of respect for my host. When my host invites me to a costume party and I accept, I respect their invitation and wear a costume. When my host invites me to a Formal dinner and I accept the invitation, I dress in Formal attire out of respect for my host. Same goes for Smart Casual. Same goes for "no swim wear in the dining area". The host extends an invitation with rules/guidelines and I comply. And no....The fact that I am paying to be on the ship does not reverse the roles or change the rules. I pay the Waldorf Astoria $500 to attend their New Year's Eve party that says "Black Tie" on the information sheet. The fact that I am paying to attend doesn't mean that I get to rewrite the rules.

Last time we went to the DR we didn't receive an invitation and had to pay for our meal.

True. However, when it's called "Formal" and the cruise line suggests/requests that you dress accordingly in the dining room, who you are is a measure of the respect you show towards yourself and others. If you choose not to dress accordingly, there are other dining options. Just saying.

We dress nicely & if that isn't sufficient for others then they have the option of dining elsewhere. Perhaps their cabin where they don't have to look at the lawbreakers.

Tonight is formal night on the Royal & we have no intention of missing out on the lobster in place if a buffet chicken dinner in order to please anyone because they might be offended by our lack of dress.

As you found out there is no regulation regrading showering befor eating or dressing formally or even casually (except shorts) in the DR. Princess runs their ships without trying to irratate anyone, no matter what.

Last time we went to the DR we didn't receive an invitation and had to pay for our meal.

Same as if you buy a ticket to a Black Tie New Year's Eve Ball. You buy "space" at a dinner, knowing at the outset what the dress code is. If you are not comfortable with the dress code, don't buy the ticket. It is astounding what a difficult concept this is for some.:rolleyes:

Same as if you buy a ticket to a Black Tie New Year's Eve Ball. You buy "space" at a dinner, knowing at the outset what the dress code is. If you are not comfortable with the dress code, don't buy the ticket. It is astounding what a difficult concept this is for some.:rolleyes:

It is even more astonishing that people are still trying to push their ideals and standards on others when Princess does not seem to mind. As long as the people running the establishment accept it then there is NO PROBLEM. Princess accepts a certian dress attire and that is the final say so. To bad for all others. 160 posts to get a YES JEANS ARE ALLOWED and no changes to the Princess policy.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Well said sir.....:):):)

Bob

I was not speaking of you because I know you respect formal nights.

As far as formal nights go, however, I have yet to hear a cogent argument as to why people deliberately sign a passage contract that includes formal night restrictions in the MDR and then insist that the rule does not apply to them.

Perhaps someone can answer that....

I would argue that since Princess does not enforce the rules on dress incorporated into the cruise contact, therefore that portion of the contract is no longer operable. Or, to put it differently, if one party to a contract ignores a portion of a contract, then the other party to the contract may not be forced to adhere to that same portion.

So, why does Princess not enforce the rules? Because Princess is in business to make money which requires passengers which requires giving them an experience they desire. Yes, I know many passengers, such as yourself, prefer formal nights. I would argue, that if Princess felt that enforcing the dress code would lead to an increase in passengers and revenue, then the code would be enforced. One can only conclude that a majority of passengers do not want a strictly enforced dress code. In effect, Princess "can have it's cake and eat it too." Princess can say to those like you, we have a dress code for formal nights. Princess can also say to others who want to dress more casually, but we really don't enforce it.

At this point, I'm going to get back into the pulpit and do a bit more preaching. All of you folks who say they want the dress code enforced on formal nights should remember the old proverb about being careful what one asks for. Gentlemen, the minimum is a dark suit, not a blazer. Ladies, dark slacks and a sparkly top do not meet the code either. The minimum is a cocktail dress. If Princess truly enforced the code, then the MDR would be almost deserted on formal nights.

Which brings me to another point. All you folks who are decrying those who dress smart casual on formal night, unless you ladies are wearing at least a cocktail dress, and, unless you gentlemen are in a dark suit, you are as much in violation of the dress code as are those who wear coveralls. You either satisfy the code or you do not. This isn't hand grenades, close doesn't count.

It is even more astonishing that people are still trying to push their ideals and standards on others when Princess does not seem to mind. As long as the people running the establishment accept it then there is NO PROBLEM. Princess accepts a certian dress attire and that is the final say so. To bad for all others. 160 posts to get a YES JEANS ARE ALLOWED and no changes to the Princess policy.

Well said.

When airlines started charging to check bags, the "old" rules for evening attire on ships went the way of the dinosaur - extinct.

In the 1990's, my DH and DS's wore tuxes and I wore fancy dresses/evening suits on formal nights. By the early 2000's, my men were wearing black suits and I wore black chiffon slacks with beaded/sequined tops. By the late 2000's, DH was just taking dark slacks and sports coat with tie, and I still had the chiffon pants and fancy tops.

For the 5 nt Carib cruise I just took last week with my 27 yo son, I wore cream linen pants with a rosetone sequined tank, and DS wore dark charcoal twill pants with a nice LS dress shirt. We were comfortable sitting next to people in tuxes as well as those in jeans.

On smart casual nights, we wear nice slacks, including nice jeans, and we always present ourselves well.

If you care so much about what others are wearing, perhaps you should look to even more upscale lines with more upscale fares where you'd likely find more people who like to dress up for dinner each night and to dress to the nines on formal nights.

I, however, prefer to sail on Princess with reasonable cruise fares, to be comfortable so I can enjoy myself in the evenings without scratchy tops and pinched toes, and to share my dinner conversation with people who care about more than what everyone else is wearing.

I am not bothered by what others wear, but by how they behave.

It is even more astonishing that people are still trying to push their ideals and standards on others when Princess does not seem to mind. As long as the people running the establishment accept it then there is NO PROBLEM.

I don't disagree with that at all and have said so many times. The dress code is the de facto code that is enforced, not the de jure one that is printed. But that is not the same as the: "I paid to be on the ship and I will wear whatever I want" attitude displayed by some. It is that complete disregard for the "social buy in" that frosts me. There seem to be many people who believe that when you board a ship with 3000 other people, you buy in to a set of norms that come with the cruising territory, like conversing with people seated at the next table. But many of these same folks don't want to buy in to the idea that when you buy space on a cruise with Formal Nights, the social convention should steer people to honor that norm as well.

Let's be honest about one thing here. Princess hasn't lessened its dress code due to a conscious decision to do so. It lets people in who fall below the requested attire standards because so many people refuse (or choose...you pick) to follow the standard that there would be too much confrontation if it tried to enforce the policy. Mass civil disobedience can indeed result in change. But that doesn't mean that the entity changing wants to or chooses to do so. Sometimes the invaders simply bust down the gates. The people who you accuse of "pushing their ideas" are really doing nothing of the sort. They are defending Princess's ideas despite the fact that Princess seems to be surrendering. Nothing wrong with a little Resistance Army taking up the cause every now and then.

Which brings me to another point. All you folks who are decrying those who dress smart casual on formal night, unless you ladies are wearing at least a cocktail dress, and, unless you gentlemen are in a dark suit, you are as much in violation of the dress code as are those who wear coveralls. You either satisfy the code or you do not. This isn't hand grenades, close doesn't count.

It does tend to be a double standard when this topic comes up on Princess CC boards. You see women dressed in all kinds of casual dress on Formal Nights but they are never the offenders because they are not following the code to the letter. You never hear "I cannot believe that woman wore her Lululemon yoga pants, blouses and flip flop sandals on formal night".:)

It seems to be the men you are limited to two dress options only and always painted as the slobs and big offenders....

Times are a changing and Princess needs to change too..I think they are....I could care less if they got rid of the silly formal night....it is not really much different then any other night in the MDR's....it is a leftover tradition that needs to go to the wayside like the rotary phone and black and white tv, etc.....;)

Thank you.

You will be fine and no one will notice...I have seen lots of guys wear sports jackets, mock turtle necks, slacks and dress shoes and they look pretty stylish..enjoy your dinner and enjoy your company and forget about what is said here. Nothing will happen!!!

I guess some people have nothing more to talk about interesting on formal nights so they just sit and mock what others are wearing. They must be pretty miserable because others are not doing what they think....Princess is flexible unlike some fashion police on these board's...that is what is making them crazy...:D

Which makes coherent sense. By common consent, there are certain occasions that are viewed as, for better or worse, special. I guess this eludes you, but dressing properly for a funeral is not done for the deceased. It's done for the bereaved, as a mark of respect for the momentousness of the occasion. Same for the wedding you wore your tattered shorts to. I'm truly surprised you couldn't figure that out.

But since you don't care about that, I guess it makes sense you don't care what others do, either. Because, you know, each man is an island. Next time we're seated in the MDR, I'll take you at your word and do what one gentleman seated at a facing table did a few cruises back: keep my baseball cap and mirrored shades on and pick my nose throughout the meal....

The state of my dress does not in any way increase or decrease the momentousness of any occasion anymore than my wearing a tuxedo makes you closer to God.

Throughout life, one encounters situations they cannot control. For example, how others dress on formal night. The only thing you can control are your emotions and your reactions to their dress. The person who wears a baseball cap in the dining room is not degrading your experience. Your reaction to that cap determines whether your experience is degraded or not. The question is why should you give anyone you encounter on a cruise ship the power to ruin a vacation you've spent thousands upon?

BTW, the 'Next time we're seated in the MDR and you're wearing your baseball cap and mirrored shades and picking your nose,' I will have the sommelier deliver a bottle of wine to your table suitable for nose picking.

You never hear "I cannot believe that woman wore her Lululemon yoga pants, blouses and flip flop sandals on formal night"

Maybe because, at least in my perhaps blinkered experience, there are always a number of tastefully, interestingly dressed women accompanied by men who - well, since we're talking about the '80s - if they're dressed up at all, are fiestas of polyester. As I said before, many women seem to actually enjoy dressing up, while many of the guys on this board, asked to dress a little nicely, act like 10-year-olds being requested to put on good clothes before going to Grandma's.

I do get the limited luggage space problem. On next year's trip to Japan, where there's limited luggage space on bullet trains, I'll have to rethink my Usual Cruise Wardrobe. And I can see the libertarian "me first" vs. communitarian "we're all in this together" trope playing itself out. But, yeah, I'm thinking the whole gender divide, and the resistance of some men to honoring norms, has a psychological dimension worthy of Freud.

We dress nicely & if that isn't sufficient for others then they have the option of dining elsewhere. Perhaps their cabin where they don't have to look at the lawbreakers.

OK, it's all about you. From a multitude of posts on this and other topics, we get that. But specifically (unless it's all about extra luggage charges) what about dressing to code upsets you? Seriously and specifically, what is it about at least wearing a necktie that you find so very, very onerous?