Lies lies and more lies...no 3.0

CRU1Z1N

Stormin Norm is going to get to the bottom of these rumors on his upcoming cruise. He still thinks it's going to happen. He's probably right, after all, Carnival beards denied the leaked VIFP changes were false and Cruise Critic had it right all along.

Honestly, I'm glad this was a hoax. It seems pretty stupid to put all that money into 2.0 upgrades and then shortly thereafter announce 3.0 The 2.0 are a hot ticket and probably book better now. So they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by not fully milking that.

I had my doubts from the beginning. I have always heard that the port of Charleston wasn't deep enough for a larger ship. Besides, I seriously doubt the fine people of Charleston would not stand for a larger ship in their city.

Umm... the Carnival Victory had sailed from Charleston multiple times in the past.

I had my doubts from the beginning. I have always heard that the port of Charleston wasn't deep enough for a larger ship. Besides, I seriously doubt the fine people of Charleston would not stand for a larger ship in their city.

Actually, the Victory has been here in Charleston before, as well as the Triumph. But yes, you are correct in saying the bluebloods would not like another ship here. However, not all of Charlestonians agree with the blood bloods :)

I do know that at one point they were discussing expanding the port to accommodate larger ships. My daughter lived in Charleston and she was keeping me informed because she knows we like to cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They were/are talking about expanding the port for larger ships but it's not for cruise ships, it's for larger container ships.

Might be silly question but if they do it for container ships why couldnt cruise ships take advantage?

If I remember the article correctly, I did read is some time ago, they want to upgrade to be able to offload and load the new mega container ships. Upgrades would be to those large cranes that offload and load containers.

The harbor itself is deep enough for large ships as it stands. The container ships don't use the same dock as the Cruise Ships.

The cruise terminal in Charleston is a bit small and it barely works right now for the Fantasy. I believe Charleston has approved a new cruise terminal but there is a very very small group of people in Charleston fighting the city because they think that cruise ships take away from the historic charm of the city.

I would be surprised if a bigger ship came to Charleston before the city is able to build a new terminal, and that would take a couple years one would think.

I found this. This is one point of emphasis that I think they were upgrading.

Charleston Harbor

Coordinating Agency: US Army Corps of Engineers

Target date for completing all Federal permit and review decisions: September 2015

Under its planning modernization process, the Army Corps is implementing an aggressive planning schedule for the Charleston Harbor Feasibility Study that will examine the benefits and costs of deepening the Federal navigation channel for Charleston Harbor from its existing depth of 45 feet to a maximum of 50 feet to accommodate larger cargo vessels and other ships, ultimately facilitating a more efficient movement of goods. The study is expected to be complete within 3 years – much earlier than the over 10 year average.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/19/we-can-t-wait-obama-administration-announces-5-major-port-projects-be-ex

If I remember the article correctly, I did read is some time ago, they want to upgrade to be able to offload and load the new mega container ships. Upgrades would be to those large cranes that offload and load containers.

The harbor itself is deep enough for large ships as it stands. The container ships don't use the same dock as the Cruise Ships.

The cruise terminal in Charleston is a bit small and it barely works right now for the Fantasy. I believe Charleston has approved a new cruise terminal but there is a very very small group of people in Charleston fighting the city because they think that cruise ships take away from the historic charm of the city.

I would be surprised if a bigger ship came to Charleston before the city is able to build a new terminal, and that would take a couple years one would think.

Charleston use to handle bigger ships. The triumph, glory, and i believe maybe liberty. Did seasonal cruises from there. Charleston also acts as a port of call for larger ships then the fantasy.

Charleston use to handle bigger ships. The triumph, glory, and i believe maybe liberty. Did seasonal cruises from there. Charleston also acts as a port of call for larger ships then the fantasy.

Correct, but those were seasonal. I would think that before Charleston hosts a bigger year round ship that they would have to upgrade their terminal.

With the process now of waiting in the "orange cone grand prix" and having to shuttle to the terminal that works "OK' for a ship the size of the Fantasy. I would imagine it would be even more hectic if you added several hundred more passengers.

I could be, and probably am, wrong though. I'm from Charleston, born and raised. My family is still there and I go there often. I would love for Charleston to be able to offer a bigger ship with a nicer cruise terminal.

Edited by TennesseeTater

Correct, but those were seasonal. I would think that before Charleston hosts a bigger year round ship that they would have to upgrade their terminal.

With the process now of waiting in the "orange cone grand prix" and having to shuttle to the terminal that works "OK' for a ship the size of the Fantasy. I would imagine it would be even more hectic if you added several hundred more passengers.

I could be, and probably am, wrong though. I'm from Charleston, born and raised. My family is still there and I go there often. I would love for Charleston to be able to offer a bigger ship with a nicer cruise terminal.

I still think (this is only my opinion.) that once vista arrives charleston will recieve a larger ship. Out of all the ports that have fantasy class or spirit class ships (well maybe long beach isnt in this group) charleston is the only one with out any size restrictions. I still stand by my prediction that vista will go to miami, breeze will go to galveston, magic will go to port Canaveral and either valor or sensation will come to charleston. Then fantasy will go bye bye.