Luggage in the drink!!

JF - retired RRT

Depends on the weight. That 40 pounds add up fast.

I don't have to worry about the weight since we drive to the dock.

But will you have access to the proper type of vacuum onboard when you pack to go home? Or do you have the type of bags you can squeeze the air out of that don't require a vacuum cleaner to work? I should look into this--I seem to recall seeing both types on TV infomercials. [QUOTE]

The type of bags we have uses a regular vac. I was hoping to barrow one from room steward. Of course this is predicated on leaving my auto gratuities on. :D:D

Please remember that some of this is said tounge in cheek.

Edited by AZbeachboy

Depends on the weight. That 40 pounds add up fast.

I used the space bags for our Alaskan cruise. The clerk at the Amtrak station picked up my suitcase and said it was over the 50 pound limit. My stomach fell -- now I'm going have to take things out and try to stuff in my carry on or get hubby to put in his suitcase. Hubby insisted the guy put it on the scale and it weighed in at just under 50 pounds by a couple of ounces.

So it easy to use them to pack more stuff, but if you're flying or taking the train, you might come up with a weight problem.

I am confused about that myself. The form Princess gave us says to send our claim to Princess at Property Claims, Customer Relations with an "itemized list". But it also says to contact Princess Travel Care at Berkely.

The Travel care people are sending their claim form. When I get the form, if the address is different, I will send a claim to both (I guess).

I would not be surprised if Princess just pays you up to the limit of their liability under the cruise contract and then Berkely pays the rest up to the limit of your insurance policy.

I was on that cruise too. Heard about suitcases falling into the water and though it was a joke. The next day met someone at dinner who saw it happen.

I'm not sure what was going on with the baggage carriers on that ship, but for the first time in 15 cruises they damaged our luggage. On embarkation One piece had the wheels completely broken off and the luggage torn. They have a luggage repair shop onboard and Princess tried to fix it, but couldn't. They gave me a claim form stating it was not repairable. They said I could go shopping and find a replacement and they would reimburse me, which I appreciated, however who wants to spend a long anticipated day on vacation in Hawaii shopping for luggage, so I declined. I'll have to take it up with Princess. Then to make matters worse, when we disembarked our other piece of luggage had a big rip in the seam and gouges all over it. We got a claim form from the porter's desk.

Have never had a problem before with our luggage, but something was definitely different on this voyage.

...Have never had a problem before with our luggage' date=' but something was definitely different on this voyage.[/quote']

I think I'll be sailing with only carry-ons on my upcoming on the Crown. I'm hoping this situation was just a one-off with new baggage-handling equipment, or something of that sort.

I have read some ports have reputations of baggage being handled roughly if the porters feel their tips are inadequate, but never heard of a problem at San Pedro before this.

You just never know with these union workers in several ports. If they feel they did not get enough of a tip they have been known to break and dunk luggage. :(

How is that? The guys who take your luggage at the curb are not the same guys who put your luggage on the ship. They have no idea what sort of tip was or was not given to the porter.

I think I'll be sailing with only carry-ons on my upcoming on the Crown. I'm hoping this situation was just a one-off with new baggage-handling equipment, or something of that sort.

I have read some ports have reputations of baggage being handled roughly if the porters feel their tips are inadequate, but never heard of a problem at San Pedro before this.

We've never had this problem before and we've sailed out of San Pedro many times and are Elite so we have many cruises with Princess where our luggage was fine.

We've never had this problem before and we've sailed out of San Pedro many times and are Elite so we have many cruises with Princess where our luggage was fine.

I have never had a problem, either, with lots of cruises out of San Pedro. It's really nothing to worry about, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Princess sent our claim to "Metro Cruise Services". These folks are the dock workers who were ultimately responsible for dropping luggage in the harbor. Just received letter from them that they are covered under the ship's passenger contract and thus only responsible for a maximum of $250/bag. Along with a copy of the 14 page contract, we received a check for $196.11 (way shy of the $500 maximum).

Now we are supposed to send to our homeowner's insurance (not gonna happen - we just had a large claim with them and don't want to stir the pot). I am going to send to Berkely and see what they will do.

So far for $700 in damages we have received $100 OBC and $196 cash:mad:.

After reading this thread, my wife and I have decided to vaccum seal the stuff inside the luggage. Then we can take more stuff and fewer pieces of luggage.

But how will you vacuum seal it to come home? I've always wondered how it helps to compress it going on vacation when you can't do it returning.

But how will you vacuum seal it to come home? I've always wondered how it helps to compress it going on vacation when you can't do it returning.

Ive actually seen Stewart lend his vacuum's hose for those space bags that have the vacuum cleaner port to suck the air out. Seemed to work well, but I have not had the need yet to spend the money on the space bags to try out myself.

Flying home from Argentina after a cruise I saw something I had never seen before. At the airport before checking luggage, they were selling a service.

Wrapping your luggage bags in some kind of bright colored plastic wrap. Looked like all the Argentine(and other SA) passengers were doing this but we didn't. Don't remember what the cost was but remember it was cheap.

The compression bags made for suitcases allow you to roll the air out the bottom of the bag (there's a one-way valve system built in). You do not need a vacuum.

Princess sent our claim to "Metro Cruise Services". These folks are the dock workers who were ultimately responsible for dropping luggage in the harbor. Just received letter from them that they are covered under the ship's passenger contract and thus only responsible for a maximum of $250/bag. Along with a copy of the 14 page contract, we received a check for $196.11 (way shy of the $500 maximum).

Now we are supposed to send to our homeowner's insurance (not gonna happen - we just had a large claim with them and don't want to stir the pot). I am going to send to Berkely and see what they will do.

So far for $700 in damages we have received $100 OBC and $196 cash:mad:.

Sorry your reimbursement wasn't larger, but that is about what I would expect from a carrier unfortunately. I no longer check expensive luggage, and put all the "good stuff" that I can in my carry-on. I pack defensively, assuming that checked luggage will be lost, stolen or damaged.

I purchased a pump from amazon & it works quite well. Just returned from a long trip & had taken pillows plus put a lot of clothes in vacuum seal bags. Very easy to vacuum seal them using this for return trip home. It's the Boli Plastic Compressed Vacuum Space Hand Air Deflation Double-Barrelled Pump and it costs $8.99. Doesn't weigh much either. I also discovered that you can easily compress the bag yourself by holding the flap open but the pump worked much better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GEA6YSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it is most likely a silly question but how can your luggage end up in the drink. I have often watched luggage and other stuff being loaded and they put a platform from the deck into the side of the ship and drive on with forklifts or use those manual forklift thingees (don't know what they are called), there really isn't anywhere for the luggage to fall in. Or are some Ports not set up for loading ships this way?

I know it is most likely a silly question but how can your luggage end up in the drink. I have often watched luggage and other stuff being loaded and they put a platform from the deck into the side of the ship and drive on with forklifts or use those manual forklift thingees (don't know what they are called), there really isn't anywhere for the luggage to fall in. Or are some Ports not set up for loading ships this way?

We looked closely at the set-up when we were in San Pedro last week. There is a net from the ship to the dock, it is as wide as the opening into the ship, so really doesn't provide any protection unless the suitcase falls directly down.

They use a large metal "cage" that is full of suitcases and forklift the cage over the water and into the ship. Apparently the cage fell off or went into the ship crooked - who knows? Anyway, pax services said there were approx. 20 suitcases that went in. We were not alone.:rolleyes:

Jeanette, thanks for relating this unfortunate experience. It made us think twice about not taking more care when packing. Along with some other discussions about luggage sitting in the rain on an airport tarmac and luggage getting soaked clear through and someone having clothes ruined because someone had a liquid in a container that broke in another bag and soaked into theirs. We now use the vacuum seal bags for our clothes.

As far as what to do on the way home, just force out as much air as possible before fully closing the bag. Not as much of a worry about wrinkles on the dirty clothes on the way home. :cool:

BTW, hope you guys get a decent settlement from Berkley. And, glad to have met you guys on the 2013 Hawaii sailing on the Star.

I'm so sorry you got such piddly compensation!! In my opinion, you should have received OBC to buy underwear, personal care products, and a few outfits from the boutique, and free same day service laundry and dry cleaning. Then, they should have replaced all damaged items, regardless of cost. I'm a "bring the kitchen sink" packer because I'd rather be safe than sorry, but now I'm thinking about insurance limits and putting plastic in our suitcases. I hope you get more compensation! This is really bad press for Princess and the San Pedro longshoremen!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm so sorry you got such piddly compensation!! In my opinion, you should have received OBC to buy underwear, personal care products, and a few outfits from the boutique, and free same day service laundry and dry cleaning. Then, they should have replaced all damaged items, regardless of cost. I'm a "bring the kitchen sink" packer because I'd rather be safe than sorry, but now I'm thinking about insurance limits and putting plastic in our suitcases. I hope you get more compensation! This is really bad press for Princess and the San Pedro longshoremen!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We got free "expedited" laundry. Unfortunately, it took 3 days. :rolleyes: