Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Its a long trip that takes 9-10 hours including layovers.

First you will have to take the intercity train from Oslo towards Stockholm at around 07:30 in the morning.

At Kil you get off and wait for the commuter train to Gothenburg.

When at Gothenburg you board the X2 high speed train towards Malmö.

Finally in Malmö you take the Øresund train to Copenhagen.

Its only a scenic trip north of Gothenburg, south of that it gets more flat but you will be able to see the ocean at some point.

But we have saved the best for the last part of the trip.

The train will go on the mighty Øresund Bridge when going from Malmö to Copenhagen.

There is a another option that only requires 2 changes but takes a little bit longer as it goes more inland.

Take the same intercity train to Stockholm but instead of getting of in Kil you take the train for 1,5 hour more and get off in Hallsberg.

Here you take the commuter train to Mjölby.

From here you can take the X2 high speed train directly to Copenhagen without a change of train in Malmö.

All other departures requires you to take a night train to Malmö and mingle with the morning commuters between Malmö and Copenhagen in the morning rush hour.

Edited by Danish viking

DFDS Has an overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen. It's a nice ship with good stateroom choices. This would be an option for you if you choose to spend more time in Oslo before your Copenhagen cruise departure. Oslo is a delightful city to visit, easily worth several days.

We will be staying at The Square hotel in Copenhagen.

Other than a taxi (how much is the fare to CPH), what are our other options to get to CPH (cost and time please)?

There will be 6 of us in the party.

Thank you.

PS Does the credit card have to be a chip and pin for the taxis or is a chip card enough?

Edited by Paulchili

Signature should be enough but ask the driver before you go, I do imagine that the brand of card also has something to say.

A taxi from the airport to central Copenhagen should be in 250-300 kroner range depending on type of car and time of the day and week.

The square is in walking distance from the central station so for 36 kroner you can get from the airport to the central station 12-15 minutes time.

It takes 5-10 minutes to walk to the hotel, just use the Tivoli exit.

Then left around Tivoli until you reach the town hall square.

The hotel will then be on the left corner of the square when facing it.

Danish Viking.....thank you for your reply to me about train vs. flying to Frankfurt. That train ferry looks amazing but we did decide to fly which brings me to my next question for you.

We are arriving CPH in early morning and our flight is to Stuttgart instead of Frankfurt. The flight is at 6:00 p.m.

We would like to tour CPH for the day but obviously will have our luggage from departing our ship in the morning. Is there any luggage storage near the pier?

And for our short time in CPH what would you most recommend we see/do?

Thanks for all your help.

We have considered renting a car so as to have a place to keep our luggage throughout the day. Is there a place to rent a car near the pier that could be returned to the airport?

Thanks again

Signature should be enough but ask the driver before you go, I do imagine that the brand of card also has something to say.

A taxi from the airport to central Copenhagen should be in 250-300 kroner range depending on type of car and time of the day and week.

The square is in walking distance from the central station so for 36 kroner you can get from the airport to the central station 12-15 minutes time.

It takes 5-10 minutes to walk to the hotel, just use the Tivoli exit.

Then left around Tivoli until you reach the town hall square.

The hotel will then be on the left corner of the square when facing it.

Thank you.

Although we will travel fairly lightly, at our age (60+) the taxi may be the best choice. Was there not an airport bus that stopped on the square very near the hotel (closer than the train)?

Danish Viking.....thank you for your reply to me about train vs. flying to Frankfurt. That train ferry looks amazing but we did decide to fly which brings me to my next question for you.

We are arriving CPH in early morning and our flight is to Stuttgart instead of Frankfurt. The flight is at 6:00 p.m.

We would like to tour CPH for the day but obviously will have our luggage from departing our ship in the morning. Is there any luggage storage near the pier?

And for our short time in CPH what would you most recommend we see/do?

Thanks for all your help.

We have considered renting a car so as to have a place to keep our luggage throughout the day. Is there a place to rent a car near the pier that could be returned to the airport?

Thanks again

I can´t remember to have seen any car rentals at the port but take a taxi into the central station and store your luggage there.

From the central station you can walk to most of the popular sights including Tivoli, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, THe National Museum, Strøget, The Round Tower or a canal tour (if you end up at the opposite end of Strøget).

From there it only takes 12-15 minutes with train to the airport.

I can´t remember to have seen any car rentals at the port but take a taxi into the central station and store your luggage there.

From the central station you can walk to most of the popular sights including Tivoli, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, THe National Museum, Strøget, The Round Tower or a canal tour (if you end up at the opposite end of Strøget).

From there it only takes 12-15 minutes with train to the airport.

Thanks again for this great information! Can you tell me how far the central station is from the port and roughly how much a taxi would be?

Thanks!

First of all, you need to take the metro from the airport, not the train.

The metro platform is 1 level up but there are elevators and escalator(s).

At Kongens Nytorv you probably want to take one of the 2 elevators because the escalators don´t go all they way to the top.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Kongens+Nytorv+st+(Metro)/Hotel+Bethel,+Nyhavn/@55.6791062,12.5859074,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525317956e2adf:0x67a7f566287b63c3!2m2!1d12.585228!2d55.679185!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533d2fb4cf43:0xbb1dd357d932167!2m2!1d12.590996!2d55.679431!3e2

Danish Viking: Thank you so much.

So when I get our luggage, we look for signs for the Metro and then take it to Kongens Nytorv? and then it is a short walk to Hotel Bethel?

Do you know the cost and can we pay with US money or credit card. Do we have to have exact change? does the metro go from the hotel to the pier?

So, we don't have to worry about steps at all going onto the metro and getting off the metro to go to our hotel.

You are great!!! I really appreciate all the help you are giving us.

Yes you find the metro (and the other trains) when you exit the baggage claim area.

The price is 36 kroner but if you pay with card you should know that you will have to use a pin code.

Or else go to the ticket counter.

There is no metro to the cruise pier yet but perhaps in 10 years time :D

On Mondays to Fridays bus 26 goes out to Færgehavn Nord, UNICEF 2 times each hour.

But when a cruise ship is in port you can take a special cruise shuttle from Østerport station, it departs from the Sløjfen bus stop.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/%C3%98sterport+St.,+Sl%C3%B8jfen/@55.693617,12.5903343,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x465252e0509b6503:0x67f1b40f512f1420

If we don't have a pin, can we use our credit card at the counter?

Do you know how many blocks it is from the Metro to the Hotel Bethel?

Is there only one metro going downtown to CopeNhagen?

What stop do we get off on the Metro to the hotel.

Is taking a taxi to the pier the best way to get there? Do you know the cost of the taxi?

I hope I am not duplicating myself.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! Iris

I am not sure if you need a pin there, i assume that its not needed but else there are some banks located between terminal 3 and 2 where you can get some money.

Yes only metro line M2 goes to the airport so you just jump on the next metro.

The metro stop you are going to use is Kongens Nytorv, on post 63 I posted a link to google maps where there is a walking route to your hotel.

Yes a taxi to the pier is the most convenient way to get there, the price should be around 200-250 kroner.

You can save some money by taking the bus, if you tell me the day of departure I can tell if there is a direct bus to the pier from Kongens Nytorv.

Hello Danish,

Thank you for all you informative posts! :)

My husband and I will be taking a cruise from Copenhagen on May 24th and will arrive a day pre cruise.

Our TA suggests to choose a hotel near Tivoli which will be walking distance to most of attractions.

After researching the available hotels around Tivoli, we are surprise by the pricing. :(

Any suggestions? Many thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is the cruise list for 2015 (and 2016)

http://www.cmport.com/en/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/cruise-list-2015-2016

Thank you.

When I open that file in Excel, all the dates are crossed out so I cannot tell where our ship will dock (I see the Marina in 2 different ports on different occasions and I cannot tell which date is ours).

Can you look it up and see where the Marina will be on Aug 14th, 2015?

TIA

If we don't have a pin, can we use our credit card at the counter?

Do you know how many blocks it is from the Metro to the Hotel Bethel?

Is there only one metro going downtown to CopeNhagen?

What stop do we get off on the Metro to the hotel.

Is taking a taxi to the pier the best way to get there? Do you know the cost of the taxi?

I hope I am not duplicating myself.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! Iris

Regarding the "don't have a pin" - it is easy to get a pin for your credit card. Contact your bank and they will advise you how to set up a PIN. Copenhagen was the one city where we really needed the PIN. We would not have been able to use our credit card at some places without the PIN. This year we will have a chip and PIN card. We had to go through the same process with the bank to get a PIN attached to our new credit card.