Is it safe to walk to nearby attractions from the Rio port?

Gary K

I'll be arriving on my ship in Rio at around 12 pm, but the ship leaves at 6 pm. I want to visit nearby attractions like the Sao Bento Monastery, about a 10 minute walk. I heard that the port is not safe, though.

Is it safe, and easy, to get back out of the port and walk to these locations? When I go back on the ship, do I have to go through the whole check-in process that is normally performed on the first time that you get on the ship again? I don't think I've ever gotten off the ship when I checked on, on the first stop.

The port area is not one that is very welcoming for foot travel. Consider the high heat and humidity as well.

Deserted areas are to be avoided in Brazil, no matter where they are located.

Take a taxi to the monastery. Taxis are very inexpensive.

I'll be arriving on my ship in Rio at around 12 pm, but the ship leaves at 6 pm. I want to visit nearby attractions like the Sao Bento Monastery, about a 10 minute walk. I heard that the port is not safe, though.

Is it safe, and easy, to get back out of the port and walk to these locations? When I go back on the ship, do I have to go through the whole check-in process that is normally performed on the first time that you get on the ship again? I don't think I've ever gotten off the ship when I checked on, on the first stop.

Hi Gary,

If your ship arrives during the week, it is o.k. to walk. Just don't wear any jewelry or a watch, and hide any money in a safe, secure money belt. Be aware of your surroundings. We walked to Sao Bento without any problems, and also walked to a kilo restaurant near the port without any problems. If your ship arrives on a week-end, you must take a taxi, as the area is not safe. Hope this helps. Enjoy--we have been to Rio many times and loved it!

Hi Gary,

If your ship arrives during the week, it is o.k. to walk. Just don't wear any jewelry or a watch, and hide any money in a safe, secure money belt. Be aware of your surroundings. We walked to Sao Bento without any problems, and also walked to a kilo restaurant near the port without any problems. If your ship arrives on a week-end, you must take a taxi, as the area is not safe. Hope this helps. Enjoy--we have been to Rio many times and loved it!

Why should you not walk in that area during the weekend? Why would it not be enough to "be aware of your surroundings"? What about the surroundings should a tourist not accustomed to street life in Rio or Brazil in general pay attention to?

If you can't answer those questions, or be certain of what you would do if confronted as you walk with your money belt, take a taxi no matter what day or time it is or what distance from the port.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

We spent a week in Rio before one cruise and we also visited overnight on another cruise.

The port area is no less safe to walk around than other places. Like most big cities petty crime can be a problem so keep your witts about you and don't flash around anything.

Leave the valuables in the cabin.

We walked around a lot, we even easily walked to the metro station and took metro to Copacabana and many sights.

Taxis are plentiful too. There are also buses.