North to Alaska!

joe_cruiser

Made a last minute decision and jumped on a 7/3 Silver Shadow sailing. The last time I was on her, it was an out of this world experience. Now combining my favorite ship to date with my favorite destination to date, should make for a good time. We will also be celebrating our Anniversary on the 4th.

Just a Little excited and thought I would drop by the forum.

icon_biggrin.gif

09/95: Carnival, Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean

11/01: Silversea, Silver Shadow: Singapore to Sydney

12/02: Carnival, Elation: Western Caribbean

05/03: Holland America, Veendam: Alaska

07/04: Silversea, Silver Shadow: Alaska

Hi Joe...

Greetings from Ketchikan and the Silver Shadow. So far we're having a great time. Today we did a floatplane tour of the misty fjords and glacier nat'l monumment. It was great! We also saw bears. We prebooked it over the internet with a company called alaska seaplane tours. Ryan, the owner-pilot is extremely enthusiastic and knowledgable. There are many companies that offer this tour. The ship has it as well but it doesn't include the glacier...and the glacier is PHENOMENAL!!!

Embarkation: Could've been better

Service: excellent!

Food: excellent!

THis is our first SilverSea cruise.

We'll try to leave some wine and alcohol on board for you! :-)

Craig

Thanks for the update Craig and glad to hear you are having a great time. I appreciate you leaving a little wine and alcohol for me. I would also appreciate it if you could disembark in an orderly and timely fashion in Vancouver on Saturday, so I can get on board and tap into some of the grog left behind!

:D

Well, today we went and saw the Sawyer Glacier up close and personal! Amazing!!! Truly amazing. The commentary was fine but to see this MASSIVE hunk of blue ice*...well, it's something I won't soon forget.

Food continues to be outstanding. I'm afraid that we're reducing the stock of wine and alcohol, Joe. We'll try to leave some behind but regret we can't make you that promise.

Craig

*Blue Ice...for those who work for an airline...it's not what you think :-)

Last year we cruised through College Fjord and Glacier Bay and saw some spectacular sights. The glaciers really are something to behold and it is quite impressive when they decide to calve for you. I will be coming back to Alaska a couple weeks after the cruise and will be spending a week in Juneau. One of the things I would like to do is take one of the Glacier Hiking Tours and get up close and personal with these big ice cubes.

Libation consumption is part of the daily life in last frontier and I can certainly understand your situation. I will go ahead and notify Silversea that they need to be prepared for an unusually large restocking in Vancouver.

We just returned from 19 days on the Shadow in Alaska. We began in Anchorage, went to Vancouver, and then did a Vancouver to Vancouver!! Loved the back-to-back. It was like two different cruises entirely. The first cruise we had very good weather, but it was definitely chilly. The second cruise we hit a heat wave in Alaska...almost 90 degrees in Skagway!! The two trips were very different becuase of this weather change. We were very lucky because there were no excursions cancelled on either cruise due to bad weather...a rarity! Last year we were on Crystal at the same time of year and also had great weather, but Juneau (the port always with the most cancellations due to weather problems) was fogged in, so many excursions were cancelled. For those of you wondering about the differences in these two lines, I'd like to make a few comments.

I still think SilverSea is fabulous, although not quite as good as perhaps a few years ago We still love the single seating for dinner---this is a huge advantage over Crystal, I have to say! You get to meet as many or as few people as you wish, and can have a quiet dinner for two or a fun table of 12! The quality of the food, however, I feel has slipped. Crystal's food and alternative restaurants were really exceptional. Although the Shadow has La Champagne and the Terrace as alternative venues, the food is all very similar...just more courses in the alternative restaurants. The food was not bad...just boring! For Americans, the beef is not as good as we are used to getting in our really good restaurants and the other food tends to be a bit bland. They repeated the menus on the two cruises we were on, so we were really looking for restaurants in ports on that second cruise so we could get a change.

The all inclusive price is another BIG asset for SilverSea. Last year on Crystal we were constantly chased around the decks by waiters shouting out their names and you could not get ANYTHING without the server first telling you his name so you could remember him for tips at the end of the trip!!

The smaller ship is a definite advantage in Alaska...you can get a lot closer to the sights and actually cruise areas like Misty Fjords which the larger ships can not get into! That being said, Princess and Holland America own Alaska, so your shore excursions, buses, etc., are going to be contracted through them. This can be a negative in that the service provided by these lines is not as flawless as one might expect from SilverSea. We had some real problems in Anchorage where we embarked on the Shadow. SilverSea will not be using this as a return port on their Alaska cruises this year, so I will leave unpublished the particulars unless someone wants to know. Just let it be said that this was not an auspicious beginning for SilverSea in Alaska.

The ports of call were all interesting, although some like Wrangell will be better later in the season (you can access the Anan Bear Preserve from there, but no bears until later in the season). You can definitely do tours on your own, although the ones we did through the ship were well-done for the most part. The Native tours were especially good, we found.

The make-ups of our first cruise and second cruise were entirely different. The first cruise had a lot of Brits and Aussies...a very fun and nice group. Our second cruise was definitely more Americans...also a nice group. There were few children and the few aboard were very well-behaved. With Crystal's "kids come free" promos this year, I hate to think what's happening on their ships. Last year there were quite a few children on our Crystal cruise, and I have to say, I did not miss the crying babies in the dining room this year. Don't get me wrong, I have children and grandchildren, but I don't want to spend lots of money on a cruise and be subjected to unrestrained children running in the halls. (Read their board!)

I could go on and on, and will be glad to answer any questions, but think I'll give you all a break from my musings! Suffice it to say, on the whole, we were very pleased with our experience and have booked another back-toback next year in the Med!

For anyone that has cruised Silversea through Alaska: What is the dress code during the day when just cruising (no port stop)? Are people wearing jeans and fairly casual? I was thinking being in Alaska, this might be the case. However it being Silversea, I am not sure. I would hate to look like steerage!

I am also trying to pack as little as possible to go around :D

LibLively,

Can you please help me with some excursion ideas. I have been reading the boards and other sights and am still struggling a little, as I just booked the cruise. Last year in Alaska I was fairly content doing walking tours and checking out some of the "don't miss" attractions.

We will be visiting Wrangell, Haines, Sitka and Prince Rupert. Sitka is the only port I have been to before. I heard the same thing about the Anan Bear and Wildlife Observatory, so will be looking for something else to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks also for posting your trip update. I have a couple other questions, but must sleep as I am not sure if I am making sense at the moment :D

Leaving this Saturday:

http://www.silversea.com/Calendar/frames/04_main_frame.asp?VoyageNumber=3416

LibLively

Thanks very much for all your info, it makes intersting reading.

We are on cruise 3420 departing 16 August and although we have cruised with Silversea before, we have never been to Alaska and so appreciate any info.

We have booked the Anan Bear Observatory as we believe we have a strong possibility of seeing bears in August.

We would really like to see whales. Did you see any whales whilst you were cruising on the Shadow? Do you know if there is a higher chance of seeing whales at any particular port?

Thanks

Swindy

First stop in Wrangell should be the pier side tent that is set up right as you get off the ship. Two gentlemen there cook the best fresh shrimp and whole dungeness crab I've ever tasted. You can get a big plate of freshly cooked shrimp and a whole crab for about $20...absolutely fabulous! Nothing fancy...just picnic tables and paper plates, but OH MY GOODNESS! We took the Wrangell Highlight tour, which visited the Chief Shakes Tribal House and Petroglyph Beach. Both are very interesting and you could do them on your own, but it would involve a lot of walking. Petroglyph Beach is fascinating, and the guide knows where the petroglyphs are and can show them to you. I think if you were on your own, you'd have a hard time finding them on the beach, although there are examples on the viewing platform. The Chief Shakes House is not always open, but should be when the ship is in.There is an artisit's studio very near the Chief Shakes House (on the right side of the road as you approach the House), and for anyone interested in maps of the area and watercolor prints, it's a really nice stop.She combines the maps and scenes from the area. We bought some of the prints as souvenirs...they're quite lovely and priced very reasonably. Children sell rough garnets on the dock too...they're real, taken from a nearby mine left to the children many years ago by a wealthy Wrangell native...great gifts for grandchildren!! Haines has a very interesting Nature Museum where you can find out everything you'd ever want to know about the flora and fauna of Alaska. It's not a large museum, but the owner is a wealth of information, loves to talk about Alaska, and will spend as much time as you wish talking about the wildlife. It's a labor of love for him! We didn't take a tour in Haines..just wandered around on our own. Fort Seward is interesting, but you can see it in 5 minutes. There is an intersting Native Art Center that occupies one of the houses in the Fort, and there are people inside doing some interesting carvings...some masks, some totem poles. We spent about 45 minutes talking to one of the artists...and that was quite interesting.

We didn't go to Prince Rupert, but Sitka is one of my favorite towns! I've been there 4 times and always find something different to do. This year we took the Historic Sitka tour which included the Raptor Center (really interesting) and Sitka National Park. Our guide was a native, and he was absolutely fascinating! I could spend hours in the National Park doing the Totem Pole loop, talking to the artists in the studios etc. The Native Dance performance which was also part of the tour was well-done and informative. All that being said, I think the best excursion out of Sitka is the Sea Otter and Wildlife Expedition! We've done this tour twice and seen new things each time. This year beacause our weather was so good, we got to go to Lazaria Island...what a fabulous experience. We saw puffins up close and many other birds. On the way to the Island we saw no less than three whales (humpbacks), and we spent about 30 minutes watching sea otter mom's with their babies on their bellies frolicking in the water. There were loads of seals and eagles too. A really wonderful experience.

Hope all this helps! Have a great trip

You will see whales, don't worry. We saw 6 whales one night from the Terrace as we were eating dinner. We also saw humpbacks in Sitka on our Sea Otter Expedition (read above post). The best place to see Orcas is from Victoria BC. Orcas are a lot more elusive as far as spotting them from the cruise ship is concerned. People sis spot a few at a distance one afternoon, but I never saw them from the ship. The best vantage point is really from on deck, either forward or aft...spotting them from your balcony would be a real stroke of luck! There are pods of Orca that live in the waters around Vancouver, and the naturalists there know where to find them. If you take one of the whale watches here, you will have a very good chance of getting a real show!

Dress code info. On the ship during the day when we were not in port, pretty much any nice casual attire was fine....saw no cut-offs or crop-tops! On our first leg, it was chilly, so if you planned to be on deck, you needed to be in pants or jeans (no bermudas or shorts..too chilly) and wear either a relatively heavy sweater, fleece jacket, or wool jacket. A windbreaker was very helpful over the top of all of the above! On the second cruise, it was very warm, so people had on golf shirts and khakis!! Take gloves, especially if you intened to dog sled, whale watch in jet boats, or be outside when you're close to the glaciers! There's a heat wave in Alaska right now, so I'd sure take something light weight too. It was high 80's in Skagway on our second pass through, and people were dying because they had only brought winter type clothes. Alaska is in a temperate rain forest area and is not always as cold as people think, but it can be quite chilly when you add in the wind and proximity to glaciers! The key (as I'm sure you've heard) is take layers! The day we went dog sledding, I needed gloves in the shade, but was warm when we were in the sun. Started out in a turtleneck cotton top and windbreaker, but found I was chilly in the shade. It's definitely anybody's guess as what to expect this year.

I have listed excursions / activities for the ports I am visiting and would appreciate any comments and suggestions, especially if I have omitted an activity I should take advantage of. I cannot do everything listed at each port and do not have any desire to have every minute in port accounted for. I am really looking for a nice balance. I have not prebooked any excursions. I love to research everything, but have a hard time committing in advance even if it means possibly missing out due to being sold out. I will be sailing tomorrow (7/3) on the Shadow.

* = Strongly considering

Wrangell / 8AM-6PM

Attractions

Chief Shakes Island and Tribal House*

Petroglyph Beach State Historic Park*

Wrangell Museum*

Hiking

Mount Dewey

Volunteer Park

Rainbow Falls

Biking

Paved 6 mile trail from Zimovia Highway to water

Kayaking

Wilderness Tour through Silversea (3.5 hours)*, or independent

Haines / 8AM-5PM

Attractions

Fort Seward*

Sheldon Museum*

Raft Trip

Eco Orca Raft Trip & Tours - Offered through Silversea also (3.5 hours)*

Sitka / 8AM-6PM

Attractions

Sitka National Historic Park (have visited before)

The Russian Bishop’s House*

Sheldon Jackson Museum*

St. Michaels Cathedral (have visited before)

Alaska Raptor Center (have visited before)

Hiking

Indian River Trail

Sitka Cross Trail

Sitka Wildlife Quest

Sea Otter & Wildlife Expedition through Silversea (3 hours)*

Prince Rupert / 6AM-1PM

Attractions

Museum of Northern British Columbia*

Hi Joe...

We didn't prebook anything nor did we use any of the ship's tour programs.

Here's what we did:

Ketchikan: Flight over fjords and to glacier

Haines: Just walked around the town

Sitka: Flight over wildlife areas; two hour ground tour of Sitka and forest

Metlakatla: THis is where the ship's inclusive excursion was but we didn't partake in it.

These places are so small that you can easily walk around them. The two hour tour of Sitka (by 'Tribal Tours'; a native run tour company) was excellent. Our guide, Alexis, was so knowledgable and personable. It included the Sheldon Jackson Museum and the forest.

We also really enjoyed the aerial sightseeing, especially of the glaciers and fjords. We saw bears as well.

If you're looking for internet access, try the libraries in Haines and Sitka. They have internet and have no set price, but they do ask for a donation.

Craig

Archived