Staggered boarding

Teesull22

They don't have the authorization to lie.
If you catch a ship's employee lying to you to gain some undeserved personal advantage, or just for the hell of it, by all means report them. But I can't see what personal stake any of them could have in where you eat your embarkation day lunch, so I agree with pablo222: If they lie to you about the dining room, it's because they were told to do so.

Anyway, embarkation day is all about relaxing and getting into vacation mode. I try to wait until at least the first sea day to start tracking the crew and looking for employees to report.

If you catch a ship's employee lying to you to gain some undeserved personal advantage, or just for the hell of it, by all means report them. But I can't see what personal stake any of them could have in where you eat your embarkation day lunch, so I agree with pablo222: If they lie to you about the dining room, it's because they were told to do so.

Anyway, embarkation day is all about relaxing and getting into vacation mode. I try to wait until at least the first sea day to start tracking the crew and looking for employees to report.

You must be a really fun person to be with on a cruise. Too much idle time on your hands? Sad. :( :eek:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Going on the Crown leaving a week from Saturday. From what I remember from a previous cruise, we were able to board around noon, if not before. We got an email the other day that says:

Please be advised that Crown Princess will berth at Pier 93 and embarkation will not begin until 1:00 PM. To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we operate a progressive embarkation schedule. Guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass may check in at any time from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM, though we kindly request that you arrive during your recommended time. If you have booked a Princess Cruise Plus Package or Princess Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or airport. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to 1:00 PM, as your cabin will not be ready, and there are not adequate facilities at the pier to accommodate early-arriving guests. All guests must be onboard by 3:30 PM.

1:00 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with D and E 1:45 PM - Caribe and Riviera Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with C and R 2:15 PM - Aloha and Lido Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with A and L 2:45 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with B and P

Do you think that they really aren't going to let us board until 1PM? Has anyone else received a notification like this for an upcoming cruise and have any experience to share? We were planning on having lunch in the dining room, but if we don't board until 1PM at the earliest, the dining room will probably be closed by then.

To get back to the OP`s question, it is not always possible to adhere to the recommended boarding times.

Flights etc. can set your arrival times. Cruises from Southampton have many coaches arriving from various parts of Britain. These are cruise coaches which bring you straight to the ship. The passengers don`t all have the same boarding times. You get off and stand in line, unless you are elite of course.

While I too want to get on the ship as early as I can -

Staggered boarding actually makes perfect sense! If all 1600+ of us decide we ALL want to get on the ship first - it's going to cause a bottle-neck.

This is why huge long lines develop. It's why there isn't enough seats for everyone, it's why it takes forever to get on the ship. If we actually followed the instructions given by Princess - everyone would get on in a relatively timely manner.

The real issue is that we (including me) feel we have the right to get to the ship when we want, and insist on getting their early. I know that about myself, but then I also understand it will mean joining a long line of fellow travellers who have the exact same thing in mind.

It means I need to be patient and gracious - and not assume that the port staff are incompetent or that the cruise line is disorganized. The idea of staggered boarding is actually in our best interest - not to simply prevent us from getting on the ship in time for lunch!

On my last cruise to MX 10/20 out of San Pedro, They seated us in a "preferred boarding" area, but when the lines opened, the mob rushed the line and jumped in front of the preferred boarding. It was obnoxious and no one really did anything about it. One of the attendants said "it is just this terminal that is so bad"???Why doesn't Princess do something about this???

This will be my 19th Princess cruise next week, hopefully it will be more congenial. Also, first time in 18 cruises, our luggage did not arrive until after 6pm, even though we boarded at 11:30 am?? My lst experience on the "Grand" & I am doing it again..hope I have a better experience. Did express my disappointments in my survey!!

The time you board does not make much difference in when the bags get delivered. The collect the bags and load them on the ship. There they sit, until the time in the crew schedule occurs for them to focus on bag distribution. Then all of the people assigned to that task work on it until finished. Far more efficient then having a small group trying to put them out as they come in (also results in less clutter in the hallway since they all get put out in a relatively short period (an hour or two)

...Do you think that they really aren't going to let us board until 1PM? Has anyone else received a notification like this for an upcoming cruise and have any experience to share? We were planning on having lunch in the dining room, but if we don't board until 1PM at the earliest, the dining room will probably be closed by then.

I feel if Princess requests that pax stagger boarding until as late as 2:45, they should keep the MDR open for lunch that day until at least 3:30 or so. I think they really try to discourage MDR lunch on embarkation day, and just have it open until 1:30 to keep those few "in the know" who board early happy.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Staggered boarding actually makes perfect sense! If all 1600+ of us decide we ALL want to get on the ship first - it's going to cause a bottle-neck.

There can be lines even if everyone is not trying to be there first.

On a recent cruise I arrived at 11 AM and was inside the terminal within ten minutes (would have been quicker, but the security check inside was real, real slow).

Those that arrived at 1 or 2 PM spent over an hour outside in the rain as the line was very long at that time.

I feel if Princess requests that pax stagger boarding until as late as 2:45, they should keep the MDR open for lunch that day until at least 3:30 or so.
If you know you're not boarding until 2:45pm (whatever the reason), wouldn't you eat lunch somewhere before that?
There can be lines even if everyone is not trying to be there first.
You are right that if things are left up to everyone's individual choice, lines can appear at any time for no particular reason. Which is why it would be great if people followed Princess's instructions, since they are designed to control the flow of passengers throughout the afternoon. But this is never going to work as long as people know that the boarding times are not enforced. And people will not accept strict enforcement as long as boarding times are assigned by deck, instead of by stateroom category and Captain's Circle status.

And people will not accept strict enforcement as long as boarding times are assigned by deck, instead of by stateroom category and Captain's Circle status.

Great idea for a new Elite perk ! Strict enforcement of boarding times & priority boarding for all the Elites boarding in order of days sailed. :D

But this is never going to work as long as people know that the boarding times are not enforced. And people will not accept strict enforcement as long as boarding times are assigned by deck, instead of by stateroom category and Captain's Circle status.

That sounds like it would take a REALLY long email to give everyone their boarding times!

That sounds like it would take a REALLY long email to give everyone their boarding times!
They don't have to send everyone the same e-mail. That's part of the problem with the current system: They list all the times, so people with later boarding times can see exactly how much of their embarkation day they're being "cheated" out of.

it would be great if people followed Princess's instructions, since they are designed to control the flow of passengers throughout the afternoon.

But that system has many flaws:

a) Do you expect passengers arriving at the airport to stay at the airport an extra 3-4 hours before their Princess xfer because their boarding time is later?

b) Do you expect families traveling together but on different decks to board hours apart?

c) Do you expect passengers at a Princess pre-cruise hotel to leave the hotel at different times when one Princess bus could take all of them in one trip?

d) Do you expect passengers who have to check out of a hotel by 11 AM to sit in the lobby for hours until it is their time to leave to check-in?

But that system has many flaws:

a) Do you expect passengers arriving at the airport to stay at the airport an extra 3-4 hours before their Princess xfer because their boarding time is later?

b) Do you expect families traveling together but on different decks to board hours apart?

c) Do you expect passengers at a Princess pre-cruise hotel to leave the hotel at different times when one Princess bus could take all of them in one trip?

d) Do you expect passengers who have to check out of a hotel by 11 AM to sit in the lobby for hours until it is their time to leave to check-in?

And what about all the people that are scheduled for earlier times, but, for whatever reason, can't make it to the pier by their appointed time? What if they all show up at 2:30? Not exactly fair to those instructed to arrive at 2:30...

As long as Princess only offers lunch in the dining room for a limited time, and some experiences are "first come first serve," staggered boarding is inherently unfair. The Sanctuary, specialty restaurant reservations, and preferred spa appointments (although they can be booked online) are examples. Your cabin deck should not determine how much of your vacation you can enjoy. We arrive early and are happy to wait until boarding is available.

As long as Princess only offers lunch in the dining room for a limited time, and some experiences are "first come first serve," staggered boarding is inherently unfair. The Sanctuary, specialty restaurant reservations, and preferred spa appointments (although they can be booked online) are examples. Your cabin deck should not determine how much of your vacation you can enjoy. We arrive early and are happy to wait until boarding is available.

Its not unfair, its a suggestion. ;)

Nothing in the Princess wording even hints that this is a suggestion.

"To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise PlusPackage/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times after dropping off luggage and clearing security. Boarding will commence shortly after check in."