Alcohol on Oceania

wally_bushy

Okay, so I am concluding that what is the rule in other states is not necessarily the rule here in NYC ...

Which is not to say that someone wouldn't have a similar problem in rural areas in NY State ...

Mura

Are these rules state-to-state requirements? They do seem pretty silly when pushed to these extremes.

Living in NYC I've never had to produce an I.D. to buy wine, beer or spirits. The merchants I patronize know me, but I doubt that's the reason why they never ask.

Mura

Since you've been posting since 2000, I'm guessing you've been past the point of needing to prove your age for quite some time. That said, no store owner in NYC would risk their liquor license when legal age is a real question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just looked at my original thread and see where it has ended (or has it?)

Might be better to start another thread than to wander off on this one.

Just my view... I could be wrong :)

If you start a new thread it will go off the rails as well ;)

Just read through the posts that are pertinent to your question

Lyn

Okay, so I am concluding that what is the rule in other states is not necessarily the rule here in NYC ...

Which is not to say that someone wouldn't have a similar problem in rural areas in NY State ...

Mura

The bottom line on purchases of alcohol in US ports depends on state and local laws regarding identification and the policies of individual stores, restaurants, etc.

There is not one definitive rule that will apply to every port. Some US municipalities still prohibit the sale of alcohol, others limit alcohol sale on Sundays, some require ID for people who appear to be under a certain age, and others require ID for everyone. Even when there are no laws, individual vendors are free to set their own regulations.

In our community, cash registers will not process liquor sales before 10am or after 10pm, with shorter hours on Sunday, due to a local statute that is heavily enforced. It serves no purpose to get angry with a store clerk. They could lose their job and the store could have its liquor license pulled for failure to observe the law.

It is programmed into the cash registers he to not be able to proceed with the transaction without entering in a DOB of the customer.

Can't tell you the number of times I've witnessed cashiers take a look at a senior citizen and just enter whatever legal age date of birth, without asking for ID.

:rolleyes:

If you start a new thread it will go off the rails as well ;)

Just read through the posts that are pertinent to your question

Lyn

You are right. I was amused where it went:rolleyes:

By the way I feel honoured to have a reply from you..one of the best posters;)

:rolleyes:

You are right. I was amused where it went:rolleyes:

By the way I feel honoured to have a reply from you..one of the best posters;)

Yes it is amazing where some threads go when off the tracks :D

Thanks

:o:o

Lyn