What's wrong with the Grand ??

wilfros

Just read an ongoing thread about a cruise on the Grand.

The OP gave a review with some concerning negative comments followed by an notable 30,000+ poster making a reply. In her reply she stated (not exact words) that the Grand was her least favorite ship and her expectations for an upcoming cruise were not high.

This solely because of the ship (and staff I suppose). My question is this ... What's wrong with the Grand as opposed to other Princess Ships.

Thanks

The OP gave a review with some concerning negative comments followed by an notable 30,000+ poster making a reply. In her reply she stated (not exact words) that the Grand was her least favorite ship and her expectations for an upcoming cruise were not high.

This solely because of the ship (and staff I suppose). My question is this ... What's wrong with the Grand as opposed to other Princess Ships.

Thanks

Too many incidences of noro viris?

I'm trying Princess for the first time in 22 days on the Grand princess, I hope its a nice ship. Do you have the link from the original posting with all the negative comments? I've noticed so far the roll call is pretty boring compared to my past carnival cruises. It looks like its going to be an older crowd which doesn't really excite me much:rolleyes:. I'm by no means young (late 30's) but would prefer not to hang out and chat with 70 year olds!!

AZmike480

I've noticed so far the roll call is pretty boring compared to my past carnival cruises. It looks like its going to be an older crowd which doesn't really excite me much:rolleyes:. I'm by no means young (late 30's) but would prefer not to hang out and chat with 70 year olds!!

I hope none of those old geezers touch you and get their old cooties all over you. :eek: Everyone knows that as soon as someone turns 70, he becomes boring and had nothing interesting to say. :rolleyes: I can see you are going to have all kinds of fun on that cruise, what with your optimistic attitude.

Thanks

I read that forum also, but I think you are reading way too much into the comment! :rolleyes:

I sure that the OP was simply stating her preference and in no way should be taken as you seem to have, otherwise she wouldn't have booked on it! ;)

I also have my least favorite ship but that doesn't mean it isn't a good ship, just not to my liking. :eek:

Thanks

Just sailed on the Grand for the first time and had a great cruise. There are some differences from the newer Grand-class ships: smaller closet, no Skywalkers (but I liked the One5), no thermal suite, smaller IC, MUTS is closer to the Sanctuary. I think the Crown has had a higher incidence of noro.

Thanks

NOTHING is wrong!

We boarded the grand on 11/19/14 and disembarked on 12/42014.

Could not have had a better trip.

Boarding was fast and efficient. Our cabin (an aft suite) was ready, and our room steward popped in as soon as we were there. Probably the best steward we’ve had.

Dinner the first night in the Crowne Grille certainly met or exceeded our expectations; filet was dome to perfection, as were the lobster tails. We passed on dessert, as we were full.

We had a two top each evening in Anytime Dining, always the same one per our request, so on the second night there, as the server saw us walking to the table she ordered iced tea for us as we had that the night before. Food in the main dining room was just fine, except beef items are not their strong point (except in the Crowne Grille). The Fettuccini Alfredo, was superb, as was the spaghetti carbonara, breads, appetizers, sides were all great. We kept away from desserts for most of the trip.

The ship is in great shape. The One-5 is a different from Skywalkers, but very nice, and more intimate. The Suite/Elite/Platinum cocktail hour was just fine.

The day before we got to Hilo a crew member stopped by to see what our plans were for the port, as they wanted to replace the carpeting in our suite. They were waiting to start work as we left, and we returned to the ship about 5 minutes before they had completed their work.

The crew was spectacular.

We were having breakfast in Sabatini’s the first morning and the Captain walked in and went table-by-table to say “Good Morning”

Entertainment is very subjective, some we liked more than other.

The absolutely worst part of the cruise were some of the guess who were just obnoxious. (not too many!)

Would I take a cruise on the Grand again? YES!

Thanks

I don't think the things that this poster mentioned are deal breakers, for us at least anyway.

As you probably know I would bet there are those that were on the same cruise that had a fanastic time. As I mentioned the Grand is not our fav either, but for the reasons I mentioned.

Thanks

We cruised on the Grand last feb to Hawai and it was a disaster ,the food,the service,the shows.We will never again take that ship as it is too old and worn out.

I'm trying Princess for the first time in 22 days on the Grand princess, I hope its a nice ship. Do you have the link from the original posting with all the negative comments? I've noticed so far the roll call is pretty boring compared to my past carnival cruises. It looks like its going to be an older crowd which doesn't really excite me much:rolleyes:. I'm by no means young (late 30's) but would prefer not to hang out and chat with 70 year olds!!

AZmike480

Enjoy your cruise with those senior citizens and their parents.

We cruised on the Grand last feb to Hawai and it was a disaster ,the food,the service,the shows.We will never again take that ship as it is too old and worn out.

Not saying that it wasn't as you described but most likely everything has changed since last Feb ....all the cooks & most waiters probably have moved elsewhere.

The shows are the shows & not much changes from ship to ship except for a few select shows common to only those ships.

You would probably like the Royal & Regal which has some newer shows although the guest entertainers still are doing their same old routines from year ago with maybe a few new jokes thrown in.

Sailed on the Grand twice in the last year or so. Absolutely no problems at all, but then it's all about attitude. We've sailed with folks who were looking for a problem before they ever got on board, then it went downhill. Some people are never happy, makes one wonder why they travel.

Slomotion, noticed that you stayed in an aft Suite on the Grand. We are also staying in an aft Suite for the Hawaii sailing in April on the Grand. We are staying in a Vista Suite aft facing on deck 9. Did you happen to be in a Vista suite and did you like it a lot? Also was it difficult for you to secure a 2 top in anytime dining?? Any suggestions on how we can do the same with getting a reserved 2 top in anytime?

That was me.

I sailed on the Grand shortly after she launched for a Caribbean Christmas cruise. A lot of things went wrong: it was the first time I tried Anytime and it was awful with nightly waits of up to an hour or more; dining room service was awful with waitstaff standing around for 10-15 minutes talking to each other while we sat with dirty plates waiting for our next course; really rude passengers who were catered to/fawned over by staff; rude staff at the Passenger Services Desk; and some other stuff. Everything seemed to be "off" and not up to my previous Princess cruises.

This was years ago and I've avoided the Grand ever since. I take full responsibility that I'm prejudiced as a result. I meant by my post to give my opinion. I should have qualified it. It could be very, very different now. Different itinerary, different port embarkation and probably different demographics, and different time of the year. I'll let you know in March after my cruise.

Edited by Pam in CA

AZmike480

You will find that, compared to Carnival, Princess is more "sedate". No glaring and garish colors. No water slides, rock climbing walls, etc. A lack of loud and drunken young people. My son sailed with us on Princess a couple of times in his late 30's. He found a small contingent of people in his age range but not many. He had a great time doing 10 days SF - Alaska round trip but found 15 days SF - Hawaii round trip to be "a little long". He may try Carnival if he cruises again but he likes to party much more than we do.

As for the Grand, it's a fine ship. The main complaints some people have are:

• Removal of Skywalker's - many loved the venue and don't care for the One5.
  • Smaller closets than the rest of the Grand class ships
  • NO central staircase for passengers past deck 7. For some, this is a biggie. It didn't bother us at all. We did find ourselves starting up the stairs a few times and then laughing at ourselves when the stairs ended at a closed door. D'Oh!

We had a great cruise on Grand and really enjoyed pizza at Alfredo's. Try the Grand Princess Pizza. :) Compared to the pizza on Lido deck it's really a wonderful change. People always say Princess had the "best pizza at sea" and they are generally referring to the pizza on Lido deck. My wife and son agreed with me that, at least on the Star, that pizza was terrible. (My wife and I have sailed Star twice and both sailings the pizza by the pool was pathetic. The pizza at Alfredo's on Grand Princess was a wonderful change.

Slomotion, noticed that you stayed in an aft Suite on the Grand. We are also staying in an aft Suite for the Hawaii sailing in April on the Grand. We are staying in a Vista Suite aft facing on deck 9. Did you happen to be in a Vista suite and did you like it a lot? Also was it difficult for you to secure a 2 top in anytime dining?? Any suggestions on how we can do the same with getting a reserved 2 top in anytime?

We pretty much always go for the owner’s suite and enjoy it.

The first night we have dinner at the Crowne Grille.

The next morning we call the dine line and make reservations for a two-top @ 7:00 PM in the Michelangelo Dining Room. We always get it.

If we like the table and the servers, we stop at the desk and tell the Captain or Head Waiter, that we enjoyed the table and the service and would like to have the same table every night. I have never been turned down. If we are not going to be there for dinner one night I always tell them the night before.

I do not understand why people complain about a long wait for ATD. All you need to do is call the dine line and make a reservation.

Works for us.

We pretty much always go for the owner’s suite and enjoy it.

The first night we have dinner at the Crowne Grille.

The next morning we call the dine line and make reservations for a two-top @ 7:00 PM in the Michelangelo Dining Room. We always get it.

If we like the table and the servers, we stop at the desk and tell the Captain or Head Waiter, that we enjoyed the table and the service and would like to have the same table every night. I have never been turned down. If we are not going to be there for dinner one night I always tell them the night before.

I do not understand why people complain about a long wait for ATD. All you need to do is call the dine line and make a reservation.

Works for us.

Awesome, thanks for the info Slomo, appreciate it !!

That was me.

I sailed on the Grand shortly after she launched for a Caribbean Christmas cruise. A lot of things went wrong: it was the first time I tried Anytime and it was awful with nightly waits of up to an hour or more; dining room service was awful with waitstaff standing around for 10-15 minutes talking to each other while we sat with dirty plates waiting for our next course; really rude passengers who were catered to/fawned over by staff; rude staff at the Passenger Services Desk; and some other stuff. Everything seemed to be "off" and not up to my previous Princess cruises.

This was years ago and I've avoided the Grand ever since. I take full responsibility that I'm prejudiced as a result. I meant by my post to give my opinion. I should have qualified it. It could be very, very different now. Different itinerary, different port embarkation and probably different demographics, and different time of the year. I'll let you know in March after my cruise.

Pam, I'm sure this cruise will be much better, since you'll be sailing with fantastic fellow cruisers (VBG).

Stan

Awesome, thanks for the info Slomo, appreciate it !!

Sure,

And if you can afford it, Ultimate Balcony Dining is $100 and is served course by course on you balcony by your own waiter.

You need to make reservations for that as soon as you get on board.

DO NOT HAVE LUNCH THAT DAY.

We've done it twice, both times @ 6:00 PM on the day after we leave Lahaina.

Sounds like most people have calmed your concerns, but I'll add my opinion that the Grand is a fine ship and that there is nothing wrong. In fact, I would actually say I like it better than other Grand Class ships. I like Alfredo's and can't understand why it isn't added into other ships. But it's a great alternate venue. We also sailed in a Window suite and only three ships (the Grand being one of them) offers Window suites. Another great feature in my opinion. The one5 venue seemed nice to me, although, I can't say I ever do much there or in Skywalkers, so I don't particularly miss Skywalkers. I also like the fact that the Grand has an indoor pool and that there are less passengers compared to the Caribbean Princess and the other ships with the extra deck. The other complaint I sometimes hear is the lack of center staircase on the Grand. We've been on the Grand twice, and it was never an issue what so ever. I disliked the thermal suite on the Crown, so the lack of it on the Grand doesn't bother me either, but I can see where it might be a problem for some people. The only thing I probably don't like about the Grand is that there is no steam and sauna in the locker rooms. I think they are out by the spa pool and not very nice if I recall. But not a deal breaker for me at least. I think I would much rather sail the older Grand class ships compared to the newer ones, but I do like those too.

Edited by jbobst

Some people don't like the fact that there are no tapas or sushi at Vines on Grand Princess. That is due to having Alfredo's right there. Vines staff will get you a plate of cheese, etc. from International Cafe but you could do that yourself if so inclined.