Jewel balcony cabin coffee question

bbjj109

Departing soon! I'm inclined to like to get up and just push the button on the coffeemaker in order to have that first cup ready as quickly as possible.

I'm also a little picky about my coffee. Typically if I am in a hotel and they have the pre-packaged coffee packs, I put both the caff and de-caff packs in for one pot.

So, I'm considering bringing my own coffee/filters to get going in the morning.

Does anyone know what type of coffeemakers are in the balcony staterooms? i.e. what type of filters do I need to pack? Are they the ones with the standard flat-bottom filter? Or a cone filter? And would you know the size?

Or do fellow strong coffee lovers find that the coffee in the rooms or with room service is adequate?

When we were on the Jewel in 2012, what was billed as a coffee maker turned out to be a water boiler, as shayhooper noted. There were a few packs of instant coffee and tea. Have you tried Via? That might be an in-room solution.

As for the quality of coffee, no one who is picky about coffee is likely to be happy with the house coffee on any cruise line I've been on, whether it's room service or buffet or whatever. You're probably going to find yourself springing for the specialty coffees.

Jim

Thank you for the quick replies. I have a pour-though thingy I can use. This was very helpful! I'm sure I'll head to the specialty coffee place, but this will get me that all-important first cup before I have to get dressed.

We were on the Jewel last October and so I asked my husband since he was the one making the coffee each morning. He said it was the disk type that is a filter with coffee encased. To be truthful it was pretty weak so we did boost it with Via which we carry on any trip we take. Oh, and room service coffee wasn't much better if you are wondering.

We were on the Jewel in November and did not have a coffee maker in our balcony room.

If you check in the buffet, there are a couple of coffee makers that grind and brew a single cup. They are much better than the regular coffee dispensers.

We had a coffee maker in our balcony cabin on Jewel a couple of months ago. It was the small four cup type that takes the type of filter pack that 2bthere mentioned in her post. I don't recall the brand, but I think it was one of those brands you find for the coffee makers in most motel rooms these days. Drinkable, but nothing to write home about.

We were in a mini suite in November. There was the standard small coffee maker with filter packs in the cabin. It wasn't very good. Like you we like a good cup of coffee to start the day, only place was the coffee bar $$. The lack of decent complimentary coffee was our biggest complaint about this cruise. Take your own. We plan on taking some Starbucks VIA packets next time.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Forums mobile app

I always take some 4 cup filters (Mr. Coffee type) and some coffee of my own. We've always had a 4 cup maker in all of our rooms, balcony and mini suites, although that apparently isn't consistent with all the ships. The Getaway though had a single cup type maker with little pods in our balcony room. Your room steward should be able to find you a 4 cup type maker if your room doesn't have one. I've got to have my morning coffee too.

The 4 cup filters work fine. Bring them along with some of your favorite ground coffee. The supplied coffee is poor quality, but the little coffee maker itself is fine. Ask your steward to leave you some extra half and half cups or grab a handful in the spa. They don't usually have them in the buffet. And take a couple of spoons for your room as well. And sweetener, lol. Maybe you should just call room service...:rolleyes:

Last cruise we requested from room service a pot or 2 of coffee every morning - loved having my coffee on the balcony in the morning.

Every cruise DW and I have been on we use room service as our wake-up call - with a pot of coffee, (and anything else we thought we might want when we put out the door tag the night before). That way we have fresh cream/half and half/milk, and not that powdered crap they supply. And the coffee is there at wake-up.

Harvey

• 2 weeks later...

Just back - still a little wobbly today!

We did have the 4-cup coffee maker. Asked the room steward to keep us supplied in 1/2 and 1/2, but eventually ended up filling a glass from the Garden Cafe with it and keeping it in the fridge.

We did make coffee every morning with the coffee we brought and it was a great option. We also got room service coffee a couple of days, but preferred our own from home.

Thanks everyone for your help!

We were in a mini suite in November. There was the standard small coffee maker with filter packs in the cabin. It wasn't very good. Like you we like a good cup of coffee to start the day, only place was the coffee bar $$. The lack of decent complimentary coffee was our biggest complaint about this cruise. Take your own. We plan on taking some Starbucks VIA packets next time.

Coffee bar is always free for regular coffee. The only charge is for specialty coffee's, i.e. Mocha etc. Also the buffet has brewed coffee all the time.

When we were in a Balcony cabin on Jewel, we had the water pot thing, with instant coffee packets.

Then we learned this on Cruise Critic, before our Jewel cruise last summer. We had an inside cabin this time around on our Alaska cruise. On the first day, we tipped our room steward $20, just like we always do on every cruise. And I very nicely asked her if it was possible to get a coffee maker for our room.

She said, sure. She would have it set up for us the next morning. Sure enough, she did as said. And she kept us very well supplied with the coffee packet things for the 4-cup coffee maker. It was great!

I think it depends on if there are any extras available whether your request can be filled or not.

Coffee bar is always free for regular coffee. The only charge is for specialty coffee's, i.e. Mocha etc. Also the buffet has brewed coffee all the time.

Shouldn't have added the $$, the fact that I would have to dress and carry one back for wife was my complaint. I agree the regular complimentary coffee at the coffee bar was better than the room service or complimentary food venues.