Private cabana

rdemn

The Eurodam has the Lido and the Retreat Cabanas.

The Nieuw Amsterdam has the Lido and the Club Cabanas.

The Noordam has only the Retreat Cabanas.

The Zuiderdam will be getting the Retreat Cabanas spring 2015 when she goes to Europe for a dry dock.

The new build ship, Koningsdam. when she comes out Feb 20, 2016, will have the Retreat Cabanas. There is an area on the Lido Deck that I can't tell if Cabanas will be there or not.

The new build ship, Koningsdam. when she comes out Feb 20, 2016, will have the Retreat Cabanas. There is an area on the Lido Deck that I can't tell if Cabanas will be there or not.

The Lido deck plan does look like there are Cabanas...but who am I to say. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were on the Noordam for the W Caribbean 15-22 Dec. We had our usual starboard side Family Retreat Cabana. I was actually surprised that only about 1/2 of the cabanas were reserved for the week. Even daily rentals did not completely fill them. I am not complaining. Getting the extra attention from Mark and Kerwin to keep themselves busy was well appreciated. :)

The weather was beautiful with plenty of sun. Love them cabanas.

Dennis

We were on the Noordam for the W Caribbean 15-22 Dec. We had our usual starboard side Family Retreat Cabana. I was actually surprised that only about 1/2 of the cabanas were reserved for the week. Even daily rentals did not completely fill them. I am not complaining. Getting the extra attention from Mark and Kerwin to keep themselves busy was well appreciated. :)

The weather was beautiful with plenty of sun. Love them cabanas.

Dennis

Wow, that is surprising. I wonder if people are aware that there are cabanas on the Noordam since they are kinda new.

I think cabanas are the dumbest thing ever. like we want more of the ships space taken up by these thingsl can't they just have ships for the wealthy where they have all the luxuries they want? its a waist of space and I am made that it takes up so much.

The retrofit for the Noordam Retreat was 'new' space and does not impact other passengers use of the ship. Now I admit that is not the case for the Lidos on Eurodam and NA. I will still book a cabana, spending my money for an 'indulgence' I value. Just as I book a more expensive stateroom than most based on deck plans; I will take advantage of the Retreat Cabanas where offered. We all chose those things on our cruise that increase its enjoyment.

I think cabanas are the dumbest thing ever. like we want more of the ships space taken up by these thingsl can't they just have ships for the wealthy where they have all the luxuries they want? its a waist of space and I am made that it takes up so much.

The cabanas bring extra revenue to the cruise line which helps keep the cruise fare lower for some folks. Would you prefer higher fares? Unfortunately, those who pay more, get more. That's a reality of life.

I think the people who pay money for the cabanas and really enjoy them, myself included, would disagree. Its seems they sell out on most cruises. So, not everyone thinks they are the dumbest thing ever. Ships are a business and they need to generate revenue to keep fares competitive. I'm unsure how you can say these are a waste of space when utilization is high and they generate revenue.

Are you willing to pay more for your cabin to not have the cabanas? I'm sorry to say, but the generation of revenue is important as it helps keep the price of a cruise competitive and keeps HAL in business. Without revenue from sources other than fares, HAL would probably cease to exist. Is that what you would prefer?

Edited by jaguarstyper

I think the people who pay money for the cabanas and really enjoy them, myself included, would disagree. Its seems they sell out on most cruises. So, not everyone thinks they are the dumbest thing ever. Ships are a business and they need to generate revenue to keep fares competitive. I'm unsure how you can say these are a waste of space when utilization is high and they generate revenue.

Are you willing to pay more for your cabin to not have the cabanas? I'm sorry to say, but the generation of revenue is important as it helps keep the price of a cruise competitive and keeps HAL in business. Without revenue from sources other than fares, HAL would probably cease to exist. Is that what you would prefer?

Very eloquently put and very true. Whatever HAL can do to generate revenue will keep the cost of cabins down.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I see you were so enthusiastic to join - all 8 of your posts done in a very short time, and this one was a rather interesting point of view. Obviously you feel quite strongly about this topic - can I ask which ships with the cabanas you have sailed on and why you think they are such a waste of space?

It could be argued that any space that a passenger is not interested in is a waste of space. As much as I should, I never use the fitness area -- why not turn that into space that entertains me more? Or those annoying art auctions. They take up a lot of space that could be used in a way that makes me happier.

The best way to look at it is "to each his own". Enjoy what you like, ignore what you don't!

:)

It could be argued that any space that a passenger is not interested in is a waste of space. As much as I should, I never use the fitness area -- why not turn that into space that entertains me more? Or those annoying art auctions. They take up a lot of space that could be used in a way that makes me happier.

The best way to look at it is "to each his own". Enjoy what you like, ignore what you don't!

:)

I absolutely agree with this statement and have said it before on another thread about this same topic.

We've done a Lido Cabana on Eurodam before and greatly enjoyed it. We've also done the Retreat Cabana on Eurodam on a day-to-day situation because they were sold out for the week. We thoroughly enjoyed that experience and would do it again in a heartbeat. On our upcoming sailing, however, we did the Lido Cabana because the Lido Cabanas are still usable in bad weather, whereas we've heard that the Retreat closes if there is bad weather.

Does anyone know...if the Retreat Cabanas are closed due to weather, do you receive a pro-rated refund for the missed day(s)?

I absolutely agree with this statement and have said it before on another thread about this same topic.

We've done a Lido Cabana on Eurodam before and greatly enjoyed it. We've also done the Retreat Cabana on Eurodam on a day-to-day situation because they were sold out for the week. We thoroughly enjoyed that experience and would do it again in a heartbeat. On our upcoming sailing, however, we did the Lido Cabana because the Lido Cabanas are still usable in bad weather, whereas we've heard that the Retreat closes if there is bad weather.

Does anyone know...if the Retreat Cabanas are closed due to weather, do you receive a pro-rated refund for the missed day(s)?

We stayed in our Retreat Cabana during downpours a couple different times. The cabin attendants ran over and closed the curtains to shield us from the rain. I would imagine if the weather got severe with dangerous lightening they may have closed the area, but we enjoyed "riding out the storm" in the cabana.

We stayed in our Retreat Cabana during downpours a couple different times. The cabin attendants ran over and closed the curtains to shield us from the rain. I would imagine if the weather got severe with dangerous lightening they may have closed the area, but we enjoyed "riding out the storm" in the cabana.

Good info. I thought I read on another post once that they were closed in rain, but maybe it was only lightning. Thanks for the response.

Good info. I thought I read on another post once that they were closed in rain, but maybe it was only lightning. Thanks for the response.

They have been closed for rain. In nov 2012 on the NA it was raining. We were in Routan and it was just normal rain, no lightening. The cabanas were not open that morning. I know others have reported it being closed and their nose was out of joint because there was no reduction of the price. I think if you are already in there they likely wouldn't close it. If it's first thing it's probably different. I have been in there during the day when it rained and the don't try to make you leave.

When I booked the cabana, I specifically asked if there was a refund if they were not available due to weather and was told by the concierge "No, I'm sorry". Fortunately, we had stellar weather throughout our cruise and we really enjoyed the retreat area. I should also add that even though they technically close around 5pm, we spent some evening time in the retreat area with some others enjoying a couple bottles of wine under the stars. No one else was around and it was a very nice time in a peaceful, quiet setting.

Edited by jaguarstyper

When I booked the cabana, I specifically asked if there was a refund if they were not available due to weather and was told by the concierge "No, I'm sorry". Fortunately, we had stellar weather throughout our cruise and we really enjoyed the retreat area. I should also add that even though they technically close around 5pm, we spent some evening time in the retreat area with some others enjoying a couple bottles of wine under the stars. No one else was around and it was a very nice time in a peaceful, quiet setting.

On the card that I got in my cabin it said the area was open until 8. That was news to me. I assume that the stewards would be gone at that time and I'm fine with that. I would very much enjoy having a glass of wine there under the stars. Could you tell me how late you were there and if there was some lighting? I'm quite clumsy so if it would be really dark I better stay away:D.

On the card that I got in my cabin it said the area was open until 8. That was news to me. I assume that the stewards would be gone at that time and I'm fine with that. I would very much enjoy having a glass of wine there under the stars. Could you tell me how late you were there and if there was some lighting? I'm quite clumsy so if it would be really dark I better stay away:D.

The lighting is certainly subdued, which is really nice for stargazing. But there is plenty of light to see what you're doing. On one night, we were there well past 11pm. I honestly don't know what time we left, but the ship was pretty much sleeping when we left. No one bothered us.

The lighting is certainly subdued, which is really nice for stargazing. But there is plenty of light to see what you're doing. On one night, we were there well past 11pm. I honestly don't know what time we left, but the ship was pretty much sleeping when we left. No one bothered us.

Thx. Sounds great. I'd love to do that some night.

Well first of all they are NOT expensive! Second, if you can't sit in the sun because of h/o skin cancer they are a life saver! Last but not least, if you have back, hip, knee, issuers waiting pool side for a chair could be a real "PAIN". I pick my cruise around which ships have cabanas. If they really bother you just sail on ships without them.