Former Galaxy Ship

Keith1010

Yesterday, while in Barbados on Crystal Serenity we were docked near the Mein Schiff Cruise Ship which is the former Celebrity Galaxy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-40DSx0eMrGc/VJ1NJhlHzCI/AAAAAAAAook/3iEGzg66q9E/s1600/DSC_1849.jpg

my wife and I along with our two children first sailed Galaxy the year it debuted on a Vancouver R/T cruise of Alaska. It was our first of many cruises to Alaska and we have fond memories of the ship and the overall cruise. We sailed prior to the time all of the Verandahs were added to the ship.

Keith

I thought it was the Mercury , as this was bought also. . Maybe this company bought both Celebrity ships.

Just read this:

Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Mercury will become the second ship in the fleet of TUI Cruises, a cruise brand established in 2008 through a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and TUI AG, tailored for the German market. The new ship, to be named Mein Schiff 2, will become sister ship to Mein Schiff (the former Celebrity Galaxy), which set sail in May 2009.

Edited by bananawindnj

I thought it was the Mercury , as this was bought also. . Maybe this company bought both Celebrity ships.

Just read this:

Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Mercury will become the second ship in the fleet of TUI Cruises, a cruise brand established in 2008 through a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and TUI AG, tailored for the German market. The new ship, to be named Mein Schiff 2, will become sister ship to Mein Schiff (the former Celebrity Galaxy), which set sail in May 2009.

The ship in port with us was the Mein Schiff and that was the former Galaxy as I mentioned in my first post. :)

There is also the Mein Schiff 2 that was the former Mercury which is what you are thinking of.

As background, company is TUI Cruises which is actually a joint venture between Celebrity Cruises and TUI AG.

Keith

Yesterday, while in Barbados on Crystal Serenity we were docked near the Mein Schiff Cruise Ship which is the former Celebrity Galaxy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-40DSx0eMrGc/VJ1NJhlHzCI/AAAAAAAAook/3iEGzg66q9E/s1600/DSC_1849.jpg

my wife and I along with our two children first sailed Galaxy the year it debuted on a Vancouver R/T cruise of Alaska. It was our first of many cruises to Alaska and we have fond memories of the ship and the overall cruise. We sailed prior to the time all of the Verandahs were added to the ship.

Keith

It does look like the Galaxy, but I'm pretty sure she always had verandahs, I know for sure that Mercury did as we sailed her in her inaugural season....

Keith

Did you happen to notice the "Hammocks" on each balcony? Definitely an addition since she was re-branded. We too were docked next to her last year. I recognized her right away.

It does look like the Galaxy, but I'm pretty sure she always had verandahs, I know for sure that Mercury did as we sailed her in her inaugural season....
Yes, that is Galaxy which became Mein Schiff, later renamed Mein Schiff 1. Galaxy and Mercury were both built with port and starboard balconies on Deck 10 and on part of Deck 9 within the superstructure. I cruised on both of these ships (11 days on Galaxy, 49 days on Mercury, including its farewell sailing). When these ships went to TUI clip-on balconies (outside the superstructure) were put on much of Decks 8, 9 & 10. Cabins that had balconies within the superstructure balconies now have larger balconies (both within and without the superstructure) and the cabins that gained balconies have smaller balconies. If you look at Mein Schiff 1 Deck plans (google: Mein Schiff 1 Deck plans) you can see the larger and smaller balconies on Deck 9. There are also aft balconies and balconies on Deck 12, but these were unaffected by the clip-ons.

Thom

Yes, that is Galaxy which became Mein Schiff, later renamed Mein Schiff 1. Galaxy and Mercury were both built with port and starboard balconies on Deck 10 and on part of Deck 9 within the superstructure. I cruised on both of these ships (11 days on Galaxy, 49 days on Mercury, including its farewell sailing). When these ships went to TUI clip-on balconies (outside the superstructure) were put on much of Decks 8, 9 & 10. Cabins that had balconies within the superstructure balconies now have larger balconies (both within and without the superstructure) and the cabins that gained balconies have smaller balconies. If you look at Mein Schiff 1 Deck plans (google: Mein Schiff 1 Deck plans) you can see the larger and smaller balconies on Deck 9. There are also aft balconies and balconies on Deck 12, but these were unaffected by the clip-ons.

Thom

Century was built without a great many balconies and Thom is correct about Galaxy and Mercury being built with the balconies. Veranda's were just becoming a must right as Century was introduced and they were able to put them on Galaxy and Mercury. Century had them added at a later drydock.

Unfortunately I could not see what was on the balconies.

As to the balconies I might be mistaken about when they were added but either way that is definitely Galaxy.

My wife and myself and our kids sailed on Century, Galaxy and Mercury within month of each cruise ships inauguration voyage in successive years. Prior to that we had sailed Horizon and Zenith and for us great memories from when we sailed Celebrity pretty much yearly with our kids in the 1990's.

Keith

I had the pleasure to cruise on both Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2 and I loved both. Can´t help with what is on the balconies as I had inside cabins. And yes, TUI Cruises is a Joint venture between Royal Caribbean and TUI AG. I am looking forward to my first cruise on one of their new builts - Mein Schiff 4.

Thom

Century was built without a great many balconies and Thom is correct about Galaxy and Mercury being built with the balconies. Veranda's were just becoming a must right as Century was introduced and they were able to put them on Galaxy and Mercury. Century had them added at a later drydock.

Thanks for the further info.....I just remember so clearly on our 1st every cruise which was on Mercury in her inaugural season being in a Sky Suite up on deck 12 with a balcony that literally could have held a party of 20 people quite comfortably.........biggest balcony we've had on any shape to this date.....:)

Thanks for the further info.....I just remember so clearly on our 1st every cruise which was on Mercury in her inaugural season being in a Sky Suite up on deck 12 with a balcony that literally could have held a party of 20 people quite comfortably.........biggest balcony we've had on any shape to this date.....:)

We sailed the Zenith towards the end of her career with Celebrity, both she and her sister the Horizon had no balconies at the time. They may have added some time after 2001.

Both the Mercury and the Galaxy had verandas back then as part of their original build.

The Royal suites as well as the Sky suites had verandas to die for.

bosco

This is the original Galaxy with balconies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Schiff_1#mediaviewer/File:Galaxy_2.jpg

This is the photo that I took the other day.

From what I can see there are more balconies today then when the ship originally was added to the fleet.

Keith

This is the original Galaxy with balconies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Schiff_1#mediaviewer/File:Galaxy_2.jpg

This is the photo that I took the other day.

From what I can see there are more balconies today then when the ship originally was added to the fleet.

Keith

Looks that way to me too....could they have been added AFTER it left the Celebrity fleet? I don't know, but I don't remember anything about balconies being added when she was with X....but again, I don't know.

We sailed the Zenith towards the end of her career with Celebrity, both she and her sister the Horizon had no balconies at the time. They may have added some time after 2001.

Both the Mercury and the Galaxy had verandas back then as part of their original build. The Royal suites as well as the Sky suites had verandas to die for.

I sailed Horizon a number of times, and also sailed Zenith. They are both now sailing for CDF and have added balconies. I lost a bet once on Horizon near the end of her Celebrity career as I was SURE there were no balconies, but there was ONE. It was above the starboard prominade aft (probably for what is now cabin 9104), and apparently had been installed as an experiment.

Thom

I lost a bet once on Horizon near the end of her Celebrity career as I was SURE there were no balconies, but there was ONE. It was above the starboard prominade aft (probably for what is now cabin 9104), and apparently had been installed as an experiment.

Thom

Could have been the Captain's suite. ???

I'm not sure but I think the only difference between the two ships was the Horizon had an extra hot tub..

LOVED those small ships and still try to avoid the mega's as much as possible. LOL

OMO

bosco

Could have been the Captain's suite. ???
Good idea, but given that it was almost all the way aft, that would seem unlikely. I think the bridge is on what is now Deck 10 forward, and I think the marine officers are on Deck 9 directly under the bridge (most newer ships have those officers directly behind the bridge).