All things Baltimore

collinH45

Is this the one located at 6055 Belle Grove Rd? I put in the address given and that's what it gave me but when you are on google earth and pull down to the street, it says it's a Sleep Inn? :confused: It also shows Comfort Inn Suites as being right next door but with the address as 6921 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd? I'm confused if I have the right place or not. There doesn't seem to be much around that area, but there is a Checkers across the street and a Shell gas station if I have the correct place.

No, you want the BEST WESTERN PLUS BWI located at 6755 Dorsey Rd, Elkridge, MD 21075 and the direct phone number is

(410) 796-3300.

There's another thread dedicated to the other motel, think it is a Sleep Inn now. I don't really know that area but I don't think it has the best reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What about the PORT area? I will probably post a thread, or search for one, prior to our cruise in May, but we are doing a B2B. Is there anything in the immediate port area we could visit in between cruises? How about a liquor and/or convenience store to replenish carry on beverages? :confused:

Two minutes from the port is a small shopping center called McHenry Row, which has a huge Harris Teeter grocery store with an attached liquor store, a wine cellar store, a beer store, Dunkin Donuts and a few restaurants. I wouldn't recommend walking as it's only accessible by walking under I-95 and there is a lot of traffic all times of day and night. I don't remember seeing any crosswalks or sidewalks. There is parking garage next to the Harris Teeter with ample parking.

No, you want the BEST WESTERN PLUS BWI located at 6755 Dorsey Rd, Elkridge, MD 21075 and the direct phone number is

(410) 796-3300.

There's another thread dedicated to the other motel, think it is a Sleep Inn now. I don't really know that area but I don't think it has the best reviews.

The Best Western on Dorsey seems to be out in BFE with nothing within walking distance around in, which won't work for us. We need some place to eat the night before (cheaper fast food option) and also a gas station or grocery store to get soda. So I don't think this option will work (for us).

What is wrong with the one listed on Trinity for Belle Grove?

The Best Western on Dorsey seems to be out in BFE with nothing within walking distance around in, which won't work for us. We need some place to eat the night before (cheaper fast food option) and also a gas station or grocery store to get soda. So I don't think this option will work (for us).

What is wrong with the one listed on Trinity for Belle Grove?

No, I live in this area and there are a lot of fast food options and gas stations nearby. Not sure what map you're referencing. Looks like it's deceiving you.

There is a Wendy's with a gas station and convenience store less than 1/2 mile away and across the street is another gas station with really inexpensive gas called Xtra Mart. Down the road is a Subway and a pizza shop. If you go further south on Rt. 1, you'll hit a shopping center with a grocery store, Starbucks, IHOP, dollar store and other fast food places.

Lol... That's what I thought but haven't heard that term since I lived down South in Orlando!!!!

Yeah, around these here parts can seem like the boondocks but I love being able to hop on 100 or 95 and get where I need to go. For me, I've endured the past several years out here because of the #1 public school system. My kids will thank me. ;)

Edited by trixiegal

No, I live in this area and there are a lot of fast food options and gas stations nearby. Not sure what map you're referencing. Looks like it's deceiving you.

There is a Wendy's with a gas station and convenience store less than 1/2 mile away and across the street is another gas station with really inexpensive gas called Xtra Mart. Down the road is a Subway and a pizza shop. If you go further south on Rt. 1, you'll hit a shopping center with a grocery store, Starbucks, IHOP, dollar store and other fast food places.

We will be on foot. I'm looking at google earth. It seems to be located beside the freeway with only a "pub" there. Across the street and surrounding areas seem to have warehouse buildings or businesses that do not consist of any food or gas stations...unless this place is built up now since they did the last google earth. We can't walk too far (especially if it's on a busy street/highway/main road) with a small child pulling a suitcase of soda...just saying. So I don't think this will work for us.

I forgot to ask in my reply-

What's BFE?

Um, hmmm lol It's a "saying", as in nothing around...it stands for bum f*ck egypt. :p

Lol... That's what I thought but haven't heard that term since I lived down South in Orlando!!!!

Yeah, around these here parts can seem like the boondocks but I love being able to hop on 100 or 95 and get where I need to go. For me, I've endured the past several years out here because of the #1 public school system. My kids will thank me. ;)

LOL...don't get me wrong, excellent place to live and raise kids, not for walking with out of towners who can't hop on the freeway. :o

What about the PORT area? I will probably post a thread, or search for one, prior to our cruise in May, but we are doing a B2B. Is there anything in the immediate port area we could visit in between cruises? How about a liquor and/or convenience store to replenish carry on beverages? :confused:

I believe RCI has a way to hold 2 extra bottles of wine for those that do B2B cruises.

I am looking for a park and cruise hotel.

I have read a lot about great/good/sketchy areas on here.

All of them are starting to blend.

I know locals would not have the need for a hotel, but anyone else have insight?

We will be on foot. I'm looking at google earth. It seems to be located beside the freeway with only a "pub" there. Across the street and surrounding areas seem to have warehouse buildings or businesses that do not consist of any food or gas stations...unless this place is built up now since they did the last google earth. We can't walk too far (especially if it's on a busy street/highway/main road) with a small child pulling a suitcase of soda...just saying. So I don't think this will work for us. Um, hmmm lol It's a "saying", as in nothing around...it stands for bum f*ck egypt. :p

It's not an area you can walk around in, as there are no sidewalks on Dorsey Road. Sorry, thought you were driving into town and would have a car. There are a lot of business parks and residential neighborhoods in Elkridge. But our main roadway, Route 1, which runs North to South, is currently being built up into a major corridor so Google Earth is probably not up-to-date.

As far as the Belle Grove Rd location, it looks like it's very close to BWI. That area is also industrial and filled with business parks. I don't know if there are sidewalks or stores within walking distance. Check out some of the other threads or start one to ask about that area. If you want to be able to safely walk around, I'd consider staying in the Inner Harbor. It's more expensive but a very nice experience for your family pre-cruise.

It's not an area you can walk around in, as there are no sidewalks on Dorsey Road. Sorry, thought you were driving into town and would have a car. There are a lot of business parks and residential neighborhoods in Elkridge. But our main roadway, Route 1, which runs North to South, is currently being built up into a major corridor so Google Earth is probably not up-to-date.

As far as the Belle Grove Rd location, it looks like it's very close to BWI. That area is also industrial and filled with business parks. I don't know if there are sidewalks or stores within walking distance. Check out some of the other threads or start one to ask about that area. If you want to be able to safely walk around, I'd consider staying in the Inner Harbor. It's more expensive but a very nice experience for your family pre-cruise.

Thanks for the info. Yes, we were originally going to drive, but husband insisted on flying and the plane tickets were purchased. :o So we definitely have to be able to walk where we go now.

At Belle Grove, it does have (according to google earth) a gas station across the street and a Checkers food chain direclty across from it. But it looks like that may be the only option...which is fine...IF it's actually still there. Then the Comfort Inn Suites is right next door to it (Baltimore Annapolis Blvd), so either one of those would probably suit us best I'm hoping.

I know locals would not have the need for a hotel, but anyone else have insight?

Seeing you are from NJ

You may want to consider the White Marsh Mall area.

There are several hotels in the area and some do offer park and cruise packages.

This area is right off Interstate 95 just north of the cruise port.

There are a Fairfield Inn ,Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn among others.

This area is about 15 minutes north of the cruise port with lots of shopping and dining options.

Seeing you are from NJ

There are several hotels in the area and some do offer park and cruise packages.

This area is about 15 minutes north of the cruise port with lots of shopping and dining options.

Thanks Tony!

I'll take a look at your suggestions!!!

I believe RCI has a way to hold 2 extra bottles of wine for those that do B2B cruises.

Thanks, but we will be on Carnival Pride. I get conflicting reports of whether I can take 2 weeks worth of carry on at the beginning. I guess it's like all those things and is hit and miss. We had a bad experience on the Liberty B2B when we were going to get off to replenish and we weren't allowed because we waited too long and the next week's pax were boarding. ** So I am making plans in advance! Almost wondering since we are driving if I should leave 2nd week's "stuff" in the car and just get off the ship in between cruises and put everything in my carry on and reboard! :p

**if you were wondering and this confuses you...we had an "in transit" pass on Liberty in PC. We had to exit the ship, but then we reboarded and were given a glass of champagne and a picture was taken of the whole B2B group. THEN we went to our cabin to get our carry ons to get off the ship, shop and then reboard. But by that time it was later and as mentioned, the next cruise's pax were boarding and they didn't have a security area set up for getting OFF the ship. By the time they did it was 2:30 with a reboard by 3:30 and sail away at 4, and I was too terrified of missing the ship! I DID "complain nicely" to guest services and they gave me a complimentary bottle of wine.

Thanks, but we will be on Carnival Pride. I get conflicting reports of whether I can take 2 weeks worth of carry on at the beginning. I guess it's like all those things and is hit and miss. We had a bad experience on the Liberty B2B when we were going to get off to replenish and we weren't allowed because we waited too long and the next week's pax were boarding. ** So I am making plans in advance! Almost wondering since we are driving if I should leave 2nd week's "stuff" in the car and just get off the ship in between cruises and put everything in my carry on and reboard! :p

**if you were wondering and this confuses you...we had an "in transit" pass on Liberty in PC. We had to exit the ship, but then we reboarded and were given a glass of champagne and a picture was taken of the whole B2B group. THEN we went to our cabin to get our carry ons to get off the ship, shop and then reboard. But by that time it was later and as mentioned, the next cruise's pax were boarding and they didn't have a security area set up for getting OFF the ship. By the time they did it was 2:30 with a reboard by 3:30 and sail away at 4, and I was too terrified of missing the ship! I DID "complain nicely" to guest services and they gave me a complimentary bottle of wine.

You would think I would have noticed all the CCL mentions in your signature. Sorry!!! Leaving in your car sounds like it would work.

Seeing you are from NJ

we will be cruise/parking at the Best Western Plus on o"Donnell. Is this safe for car and kids?

We have also decided to go to DC on the sunday we arrive back in Port. Hopin in the van and heading south :) We will be spending most time in the mall area. Thinking we shuld park tha van at the hotel and metro in? Is this a good idea?

Is there any bus service arond the white house, capitol washington monumnet are. Some places we vacation have trolley/busses that you pay a one day fare and ride from destination to destination all day - it keeps looping? Anything like this?

Kisd are 9 and 11 We could walk the entire day, but don't want the kids to get too tired.

Suggestions welcome

Thanks for all the tips so far :)

I don't know that hotel or area that well but it hasn't gotten the best reviews here on CC. Did you look it up on Trip Advisor? I read the reviews on that site religiously and always found them to be very reliable and up-to-date.

As far as DC tour transportation options, check out this link-

http://washington.org/business-listings/22/478

I don't know that hotel or area that well but it hasn't gotten the best reviews here on CC. Did you look it up on Trip Advisor? I read the reviews on that site religiously and always found them to be very reliable and up-to-date.

Where do you find the reviews here on CC?

That is what I was looking for when I found this thread :D

Have a ? about the shuttles to the port from hotels. We live in NE NJ and it is a "short" 4 hour drive to the port. But we are doing a B2B and it would cost $210 to park our car there. It would cost LESS for a hotel with free shuttle/parking. We would have to pay an additional $10 for the day over 2 weeks. But I wonder if it is more convenient to park at the ship. We take at least 2 big suitcases each, plus our carry ons. Would this be a problem fitting in a van? Or cause some embarassment for others not being able to fit because of our "stuff"? :o I just can't figure out what to do! Kind of darned if we do and darned if we don't! I am looking at the Best Western in Elkridge and some others. TIA

we will be cruise/parking at the Best Western Plus on o"Donnell. Is this safe for car and kids?

We have also decided to go to DC on the sunday we arrive back in Port. Hopin in the van and heading south :) We will be spending most time in the mall area. Thinking we shuld park tha van at the hotel and metro in? Is this a good idea?

Is there any bus service arond the white house, capitol washington monumnet are. Some places we vacation have trolley/busses that you pay a one day fare and ride from destination to destination all day - it keeps looping? Anything like this?

Kisd are 9 and 11 We could walk the entire day, but don't want the kids to get too tired.

Suggestions welcome

Thanks for all the tips so far :)

Given that you are visiting on a Sunday, I'd just drive straight into DC and park anywhere. Street parking is free on Sundays and should be plentiful. There is are regular tour and HOHO busses to choose from downtown if you want to do them but I personally just walk or use Metro to get around. I can be more specific if you would detail precisely what you want to see or do.

Have a ? about the shuttles to the port from hotels. We live in NE NJ and it is a "short" 4 hour drive to the port. But we are doing a B2B and it would cost $210 to park our car there. It would cost LESS for a hotel with free shuttle/parking. We would have to pay an additional $10 for the day over 2 weeks. But I wonder if it is more convenient to park at the ship. We take at least 2 big suitcases each, plus our carry ons. Would this be a problem fitting in a van? Or cause some embarassment for others not being able to fit because of our "stuff"? :o I just can't figure out what to do! Kind of darned if we do and darned if we don't! I am looking at the Best Western in Elkridge and some others. TIA
Given your long B2B, you may want to consider another option--park and cruise WITHOUT the hotel stay. Econopark offers park and cruise from their BWI airport lot for under $10/day (http://econoparkexpress.com/cruise/default.asp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=cruiseparking&gclid=Cj0KEQiA99qnBRDnrYCkt4ClzZABEiQAvqPaLLKmCILRLQ47ZygUHKbGL17gaPrf3E0ugtoN553s5wAaAsly8P8HAQ). Also, I'd call some of these hotels directly and ask about parking without any stay. I think most will probably only charge you about $5-$7/day to park and use their shuttle if you just ask. I think nearly anything is better than $15/day for the cruise terminal parking.

As for your luggage, I'm not aware of any hotel or parking shuttle that would object to that amount of luggage. It's alot but not excessive from my experience! :)

Edited by Terpnut