More Cheap, Short Cruises or Save for "Big One"?

For us, it isn't worth it to pay for a JS or bigger on a cruise. I would rather take another cruise rather than spend the money on the larger cabin.

For the first time, we actually are looking at pricing for a JS (but for a very unique situation). We have generally taken a Superior Oceanview Cabin on Deck 9 when we cruise on Her Majesty. We plan on one more cruise on her before her retirement -- and for that cruise we are considering a JS. But if the price is higher than the value we perceive, we will book our familiar cabin 9070, which is our favorite SOV cabin.

We will never have another opportunity to do it on Her Majesty.

This is an inspiring way to move into the new year! Whatever life's challenges are (and everyone has them, some more serious than others) to be able to keep the focus positive and 'stay on the sunny side of life' is what we ALL need to remember.

So it is not about the long or short cruise, but getting the most out of everyday we have.....a New Year's Eve Midnight run or a crazy cruise around Australia (which is on my bucket list of cruises to take).

Happy New Year to all, on this note!

Ooh, I have a friend (also named Denise) who did an Australia cruise, it sounded AMAZING! I hope you get to do it soon :-)

Thanks for helping me stay focused on the good things we are so lucky to enjoy, plan for, hope for, work for:-) :-)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I actually don't like the short cruises. If I lived in Florida again, then maybe I would... but since I've relocated to the northeast, I definitely wouldn't make the effort for a 3 day Bahamas cruise. In general, I get a different "vibe" on those 3-4 day cruises. Maybe it's in my head, but I the longer 5-7 day cruises have a better vibe. Plus, 3 days is over before it begins. I also def prefer experiencing new ports. Granted, I've been to Cozumel quite a few times and it never gets old. :)

Living in Calif and having seen Mexico, we prefer longer cruises and see places we haven't been to. With the cost of air far to FL etc, it really isn't worth our time to fly 6 hrs to FL for a short cruise. DH doesn't like 7 days so those are out although I did a 7 day coastal with friends of ours.

Living in Calif and having seen Mexico, we prefer longer cruises and see places we haven't been to. With the cost of air far to FL etc, it really isn't worth our time to fly 6 hrs to FL for a short cruise. DH doesn't like 7 days so those are out although I did a 7 day coastal with friends of ours.

Gay, just leave him home then. Tell him you've got plenty of friends that like to cruise longer:p

Are you kidding. If I lived in Fla. and was retired I'd be all over those shorties!!!:D

They're addicting!!! Living near all the ports in the Orlando area makes it hard to say no!!

As of next week we will have sailed 5 times since last March! Love it!!

When rci sailed from long beach, I had friends who lived near the port and literally treated their weekend cruise as their weekend home; they drove to the port on Friday, boarded just before check-in closed, returned Monday morning and drove straight to work. They may well have gone on 40 cruises per year... and in the old days of cruise credits for all those three day cruises, you may be sure they are pinnacle now! (They took lots of longer cruises, too.)

I've also read a very interesting blog about a retired couple who book an interior princess cabin for the entire winter, b2b2b2b etc.... again treating the cruise like their second home. They budget very closely, use Wi-Fi in ports to check on their home security cameras, pay bills, etc. Enjoy swimming and snorkeling in port, wash their gear in the shower, relax in the evenings in the hot tub, have a drink and listen to music...

People cruise all sorts of different ways!

My african grey just turned 28 and I've also had him since he was a chick. They are such neat creatures!! You did the right thing--parrots are very social creatures and do best with some type of interaction even if it is only verbal.

Our longest was last year, 75 followed 5 days later by a 20. Mail was forwarded and bills were arranged. Yes, it was a long time. On day 70 we actually looked at each other and said, "maybe it's time". As for Animals, the dog is gone and the cat spent the time at the DD's house. I'm thinking that about 3 weeks is perfect for us these days. But, if there was somewhere I really wanted to see I'd do it again.

OH, just noticed your avatar. The DW gave our parrot to a nice lady that has several other Africans and she is happy making babies now instead of having to have people come over and feed her. We raised her from a peep and had her for years but it just wasn't fair to her with all the cruising that we do.

When rci sailed from long beach, I had friends who lived near the port and literally treated their weekend cruise as their weekend home; they drove to the port on Friday, boarded just before check-in closed, returned Monday morning and drove straight to work. They may well have gone on 40 cruises per year... and in the old days of cruise credits for all those three day cruises, you may be sure they are pinnacle now! (They took lots of longer cruises, too.)

I've also read a very interesting blog about a retired couple who book an interior princess cabin for the entire winter, b2b2b2b etc.... again treating the cruise like their second home. They budget very closely, use Wi-Fi in ports to check on their home security cameras, pay bills, etc. Enjoy swimming and snorkeling in port, wash their gear in the shower, relax in the evenings in the hot tub, have a drink and listen to music...

People cruise all sorts of different ways!

That is definitely a truism.....people cruise in all sorts of different ways (and let me add), for all different reasons.

My hope is when DH and I retire, we can accomplish our bucket list of cruises, sprinkling in some short weekenders along the way. Then when that bucket list is added create another one...because we love cruising.

...My hope is when DH and I retire, we can accomplish our bucket list of cruises, sprinkling in some short weekenders along the way. Then when that bucket list is added create another one...because we love cruising.
I come from a family of travelers. My grandfather was a mail clerk on the railroad when the PO had their own sorting cars on the rails. Doesn't sound to me like a high paying job, be he managed to get to London, Paris, Rome, Athens, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Algiers, etc. I still have his 1913 Baedeker's guide to London. A Thousand Places to See Before You Die seems to be owned by everyone in my family. One nephew said that when he got to 999, he was NOT going to #1000.:D

If you choose appropriately, a cruise ship is one of the most cost effective Assisted Living options available.

Thom