More Cheap, Short Cruises or Save for "Big One"?

Recently I've been doing short cheap cruises. In fact, in 2014 I went on 6 cruises and they were all short "cheap" ones. Now when I factor all the other cost, I'd say they cost around $800- $1,000 each. ...
I consider $1000pp a reasonable target for a cruise for me. I often can meet that price for two week cruises, which is not considered short by most. In May I flew from DC to FLL, did 13 nights on Liberty FLL - Lisbon - Cadiz - Palma de Majorca - Barcelona, flew back to DC, and with fares, taxes, fees, full suggested tips plus an OBC from my Travel Agent and a C&A Certificate discount the out of pocket was just under $1K. In less than a month I am doing a 14 night B2B on Explorer again for under $1K. I guess I look for longer "cheap" cruises. I will confess that I can not always meet the $1k target, since the other two 2014 Trans-Atlantics (Sep 2014 Legend Oslo - Cape Liberty, Oct 2014 Celebrity Equinox Barcelona - Port Everglades) came in a couple of hundred above target. Except for Celebrity Equinox, all these cruises (and the others I took in 2014 on Independence and Allure) were booked off the RCI Going,Going, Gone Sales, and international air booked through Choice Air. If you are willing to do last-minute GTYs, there are deals out there.

Thom

We do a 10 day or more cruise to anywhere warm in late January every year. There are few children aboard, few hard partiers and January is our anniversary month. Also, we can drive to most east coast ports.

Every couple of years we also take the more remote, more pricey cruise or land trip. We are doing a 12 day trip to the Galapagos Islands this coming June.

We don't do the short cruises anymore. We book a year or more in advance to get a good price on longer cruises and keep watching for price reductions before final payment. Going for 10 days in January for $70 per person a day - a good deal to us.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I consider $1000pp a reasonable target for a cruise for me. I often can meet that price for two week cruises, which is not considered short by most. In May I flew from DC to FLL, did 13 nights on Liberty FLL - Lisbon - Cadiz - Palma de Majorca - Barcelona, flew back to DC, and with fares, taxes, fees, full suggested tips plus an OBC from my Travel Agent and a C&A Certificate discount the out of pocket was just under $1K. In less than a month I am doing a 14 night B2B on Explorer again for under $1K. I guess I look for longer "cheap" cruises. I will confess that I can not always meet the $1k target, since the other two 2014 Trans-Atlantics (Sep 2014 Legend Oslo - Cape Liberty, Oct 2014 Celebrity Equinox Barcelona - Port Everglades) came in a couple of hundred above target. Except for Celebrity Equinox, all these cruises (and the others I took in 2014 on Independence and Allure) were booked off the RCI Going,Going, Gone Sales, and international air booked through Choice Air. If you are willing to do last-minute GTYs, there are deals out there.

Thom

Thom, in my opinion these are great deals, especially since you are including air and grats in your total, and you have obc to spend as well!! Very inspiring.

I do enjoy longer cruises, have taken 10, 11, 12 and most recently a 14-night cruise, with no sense that I've "had enough"...

Glad to hear choice air is affordable on the ta cruises... I always assumed it was out of sight...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I used to like long cruises, then I tried a 4 night & I had change of heart! I've found that I'd rather take 4 three or four night cruises than one or two 7 day cruises. That way I get to go every few months!

It helps living near the ports in Florida though, and being able to take advantage of a deal at any time.

Thom, in my opinion these are great deals, especially since you are including air and grats in your total, and you have obc to spend as well!! Very inspiring...
I simplified somewhat in my post, and will make fuller disclosure: All prices quoted were half of double occupancy; solo travel would be considerably more. The OBC went toward paying the grats which kept the total below $1K pp, and was not "play money" left over after paying out for the cruise. We actually stayed in Spain in May: got off the Liberty, caught the metro to Sants (the main Barcelona train station), got a high speed non-stop train to Madrid for 32 Euros (advance purchase on the internet, versus walk up fare of 130 Euros), stayed 5 nights in a small centrally located hotel (fairly basic, with private bath), bought the Madrid Card and visited all the highlights of Madrid, took a day trip to Toledo, and then flew MAD-EWR-DCA. The plane was Choice Air, which allows flights from cities in addition to the port city and no premium for delayed return, and was included in my quote of $1K. The additional all-in cost pp for the additional five nights was well under $500.

Choice Air, like consolidator tickets, does have some potential downsides and is usually not a "deal" for domestic tickets; it does however have great prices one way TransAtlantic flights (I usually get prices in the $400s [have yet to pay $500] and 2 years ago got non-stop IAD-LHR for $323); if you need one way domestic air on one end and one way international on the other, pricing them separately (not as a package) can often result in savings of hundreds of dollars.

There are lots of ways to keep from "breaking the bank". It helps that I am Diamond on RCI, and that keeps my liquor bill near zero. I rarely do ship tours, and often do a self guided tour of the city I'm in (including getting to the center by local bus if it is a ways away), or renting a car (in Iceland in September I rented a car which ran a little over US$100 including gas; four of us did the Golden Circle for $30 or less pp; the ship had a Golden Circle 50 passenger bus trip that didn't go all the places we went for $169pp.

Some people take $10K pp and have a nice two week trip, and if that is one's choice I'll not argue. I take $10K and can travel basically but comfortably for three months. I have been to well over 100 countries and to all 7 continents. The choice is yours.

Thom

Yeah, one of these years we're gonna skip the cruise and then book a suite the following year. Never had one, not even a JS so I want to experience it at least once, and my preference would be a loft.

Don't know what year though as we've got them through 2016!! LOL:o Maybe 2018 will be our year for the suite.

If ever a sweet upgrade comes up for the next 3 cruise booked, we might do that. Right now we are watching our Legend to Hawaii, but no luck. The balconies are more triple the cost of our inside.

If we lived near a cruise port in Florida, I could easily see myself booking a 3 day every couple months when the price is really low and only taking 1 vacation day, if that. I think that would be about the same cost as I spend on a weekend trip to Kansas City or St. Louis (much less appealing, but only 3 hours away). Heck, I can spend $500 on a weekend at home with dinner, drinks, etc. lol

We do try to alternate our "big" trips (cruise or land) to one every other year and then we scatter in 7 day "repeat" sailings in between. I find the repeat sailings cheap because we have typically already done the big excursions the first time (example, Alaska--we spent a ton with land and cruise and excursions in 2011. Our two subsequent cruises were as cheap as our Caribbean cruises).

We'll be taking another large cruise in 2015 to Norway with a few Caribbean cruises intermixed. For 2016, I imagine maybe another Caribbean and possibly West Coast or Bermuda cruise that is not too expensive to save for another "big" cruise in 2017 (like Asia or Med).

Our vacation time is also limited. I tend to use vacation days throughout the summer for spending time at the lake house and other activities so I only have 8-10 work day max for all other vacations. I was happy to be able to carry over some vacation time from this year to next year so I can take a 7 day Caribbean (5 vacation days) and an 8 day Norway + pre/post days in Europe (10 work days).

It is a balance between desires (bucket list locations), price, and vacation time for me.

DH and I have done a mix of cruises (7 days and the 3/4 day itineraries). I have read lots of what people have posted about their costs, but did not read much about what kind of cabin that is for. Just to be clear, we are fortunate that we live in S. Florida and near the ports.

For us it matters, some will call us snobs. We don't cruise in suites but we won't cruise in an inside cabin, which is typically the least expensive. Regardless of cruise type we do want a good rate, for the cabin we desire.

We know what we are willing to spend to enjoy our cruise, and we have gone on 11 cruises on Her Majesty, so the 3/4 day itineraries are fine (even if we have gone to those places before), but we like a superior ocean view cabin on Her Majesty and one on one of the higher decks (larger cabin) which typically costs more.

You pay for what you want and what you will enjoy.

We enjoy planning our longer cruises, and enjoy them equally....since we are Diamonds -- there really is a small bar bill for us; as Diamond we also get decent fare discounts for balconies, which is what we book when we take a longer cruise -- we work hard for the vacation time we will enjoy, and it comes down to more than just a 'cost thing' for us.

We found an 8 day itinerary on Indy for February -- that enables us to use the same # of vacation days as a 7 day cruise for the price of a 7 day cruise....so we get a 'day for free' in our minds -- still staying in a balcony cabin.

We cruise because we love it, but we love the accommodations as well as the overall experience.

When Her Majesty is retired and another ship takes her place, I expect prices will be a bit higher for the 3/4 day itineraries. The ship that replaces her will have more features/amenities.....we will still cruise on it, and we still won't cruise in an inside cabin.

It is all about choices.

Edited by Paulette3028

I prefer the 4 and 5 night cruises. Hate to be away from my animals longer than that. I don't know how people stay gone 3 and 4 months. And those 6 month ones?? Wow.

Our longest was last year, 75 followed 5 days later by a 20. Mail was forwarded and bills were arranged. Yes, it was a long time. On day 70 we actually looked at each other and said, "maybe it's time". As for Animals, the dog is gone and the cat spent the time at the DD's house. I'm thinking that about 3 weeks is perfect for us these days. But, if there was somewhere I really wanted to see I'd do it again.

OH, just noticed your avatar. The DW gave our parrot to a nice lady that has several other Africans and she is happy making babies now instead of having to have people come over and feed her. We raised her from a peep and had her for years but it just wasn't fair to her with all the cruising that we do.

Edited by CptSticky

We have thought of doing a "short" cruise, but talked ourselves out of it. Why?

1. It would just tease us, we would just get there and have to leave.

2. Air fares; when you live in the snow belt the cost of flying now is $$$

3. Snow storms this time of year, and car shows (66 GTO in summer) does not fit into the master plan. (We cruise to take a week of from showing the car). And with our luck we would not be able to fly home if the "Storm of the Century" hit if we traveled in the winter , thus missing work and getting in trouble with boss.

4. DD in college and wants to travel with us, so weeks are limited.

5. Have to rely on house sitters (dogs) that would be available.

That kinda summs it up.

Safe travels.

Longer for us for sure-meaning 7 nights.

Even though the Bayonne port is drivable for us, we always have to fly for our departure ports because almost all of the winter cruises are over 7 days here.

Our job keeps us very busy in summer months so our down time is winter so we leave the cold here for warmer weather!! between, flights, hotel and the cruise itself-we save for the treat!!!

We all still work so that one week family vacation is going to count!!:D

Longer for us for sure-meaning 7 nights.....

We all still work so that one week family vacation is going to count!!:D

We love the 7 day cruises, and our first upcoming 8 day cruise will be just a tiny bit longer.....but we are fortunate that we live in S. FL and can do a short weekender. Many people poo poo it as a 'taste' and before you know it you are on your way home.....but the reality is, if you can do it -- its great, for a short runaway from the day to day.

I remember growing up and going to a resort in the Catskills for a fabulous weekend.....gosh, that pales in comparison, as I look at it now.

.but we are fortunate that we live in S. FL and can do a short weekender. Many people poo poo it as a 'taste' and before you know it you are on your way home.....but the reality is, if you can do it -- its great, for a short runaway from the day to day.

Are you kidding. If I lived in Fla. and was retired I'd be all over those shorties!!!:D

Are you kidding. If I lived in Fla. and was retired I'd be all over those shorties!!!:D

We are NOT retired -- I went to work Monday afternoon after returning from the weekend cruise on Her Majesty.

The weekend cruise itself doesn't have as many 'retirees' as you might think -- it generally has a fair amount of young to upper 30's who are partying a good part of the night; then add some families, who want to just have a getaway and something different with the kids....and then plenty of people trying out cruising for the first time, of all ages -- many of whom, get hooked.

We are NOT retired -- I went to work Monday afternoon after returning from the weekend cruise on Her Majesty.

The weekend cruise itself doesn't have as many 'retirees' as you might think -- it generally has a fair amount of young to upper 30's who are partying a good part of the night; then add some families, who want to just have a getaway and something different with the kids....and then plenty of people trying out cruising for the first time, of all ages -- many of whom, get hooked.

I'm sorry-I did not mean everyone that does the short cruises are old. I just meant I have to work still and live no where near Florida!! Sorry!!:o

I'm sorry-I did not mean everyone that does the short cruises are old. I just meant I have to work still and live no where near Florida!! Sorry!!:o

No offense taken, just clarification given.....we have to account for our vacation time as well....it just happens that DH does get a nice amount of vacation time (and I just take it as 'non paid' time) and we use legal holidays to our advantage to stretch his vacation time out. Days that I don't work, I don't get paid.

I remember the three hour drive on a Friday morning to go to Grossingers or Brown's or Homowack hotels in the Catskills and then a Sunday afternoon three hour drive home, for a short retreat with 'borscht belt' entertainers. A short cruise (and hopefully a longer cruise when possible) gives you so much more.

That is why when people lament that some of the entertainment isn't as good as it could be, and some do.....I laugh inside.

Great question, Denise! :D I've reached the point where I always want to do/see something new, whether it is a new cruise line, ship, or itinerary. I don't always succeed, but I try. I admit that I am rather bored with 7 night Eastern/Western, even though they are always fun.

If l lived in Florida, or even SoCal, I would jump on short cruises all the time. But I'm not going to fly to do them anymore (I did a few times for the Monarch, as you did)!

It is GREAT to see new places! I recommend saving for 'bucket list' trip - but ultimately that is up to you. ;) We are only here for a short time, and if there is a place you really want to go - go while you still can. I did a bunch of new itineraries last year, and that will be happening on my upcoming cruises, as well. :)

You always help so much with my cruise planning, Carol, I always appreciate your personal knowledge and expertise!

I love following along on your "destination" cruises (as those of other friends --and even strangers!)... and as you know, it was making friends with you and other (at least at some point) loyal-to-Royal cruisers that got me to sail with RCI so much that I am now D+... before that, I cruised here there and everywhere...

As a non-drinker, the C&A bar bill savings don't really affect my bottom line... and as a single parent and sole family support for the past 20 years (my kids are now working and contributing to household costs, although not necessarily vacation expenses) I definitely ran up a lot of bills to keep us in circumstances at least somewhat like those we enjoyed before our multiple losses and serious reversals of fortune following the deaths of my beloved parents...

(Sadly, in the past I had more than enough in the bank to pay the bills, book a world cruise and more... but as the single parent of two then-young children, I couldn't go away for so long! And by the time I could have done so, the fortune was gone, and I was running so very hard to stay in one place, get my children through college, and keep us from falling even farther down the economic ladder.)

... so for me, I'm afraid if I "save up" a chunk of change, I would feel obligated (wisely) to apply it towards our accumulated debts rather than incur more... while spending $500 here or there seems manageable (yes, I do know it could help wear down the debt, but as you note, life is uncertain: I feel it's important to have some enjoyment while working hard and keeping up with payments). It's tough... that's why I'm juggling the short/cheap/familiar vs. the longer/expensive/exotic... and I'm so grateful for everyone's input and ideas!

And... while I'm waiting, and working, and saving... I LOVE reading the detailed reports from those special cruises! I remember a couple of years ago, reading along daily on a live from on the Princess board of a South Seas cruise with photos that was just incredible... I was in tears every day... So beautiful...

Happy New Year everyone!!

My kids and I celebrated by doing the New York Road Runners Midnight Run in Central Park -- what a blast! Who knew it started with 15 minutes of fabulous fireworks!! We ran through the park when it's usually closed (and at a time I wouldn't be there anyway) with crowds of locals and tourists from around the world, enjoying everyone's light-up 2015 glasses, etc. (we also wore my light-up rings I have gathered from various RCI 70's night parties over the years).

20141231_232613.jpg

My deepest thanks to you, too, Carol, for inspiring my love of fitness, too, which I have shared with my children... who have done so with their friends, too, and are now enjoying a healthy New Year's Eve, rather than one of overindulging and hangovers (although we are all a bit sore today after running four miles at midnight!). It was so important for me, in order to include physical activity as a regular part of my life, to regard it as candy, rather than medicine (in other words, something I love to do rather than something I have to do) -- I had to change my mind before I could change my actions, and studying you and talking to you has really helped me to do that.

The kids ran together, faster than I can run... but I was joined my friends from my regular marathon training group, and we had a great time, meeting up again at the finish line (we actually weren't too far behind the young folks).

20150101_012706.jpg

Always trying to stay on the sunny side of life, whatever setbacks may occur... everyone has challenges, some so far more serious than the ones we have surmounted (or at least begun to move past)... I am forever grateful for all the joys in my life, and my ability to share at least some of them with others...

And now, back to stories about how you choose and budget for your cruises, everyone's information and the detailed planning processes are so interesting to me!!! Thank you so much for sharing.:)

Hey Carol;)

Some day we're gonna take that Southern Pacific on Legend down to French Polynesia. That's the bucket list. Alas, a couple we're on Legend to Hawaii with is going on down B2B, and I am green with jealousy!:rolleyes:

You always help so much with my cruise planning, Carol, I always appreciate your personal knowledge and expertise!......

I love following along on your "destination" cruises (as those of other friends --and even strangers!)... and as you know, it was making friends with you and other (at least at some point) loyal-to-Royal cruisers that got me to sail with RCI so much that I am now D+... before that, I cruised here there and everywhere........

Always trying to stay on the sunny side of life, whatever setbacks may occur... everyone has challenges, some so far more serious than the ones we have surmounted (or at least begun to move past)... I am forever grateful for all the joys in my life, and my ability to share at least some of them with others...

And now, back to stories about how you choose and budget for your cruises, everyone's information and the detailed planning processes are so interesting to me!!! Thank you so much for sharing.:)

This is an inspiring way to move into the new year! Whatever life's challenges are (and everyone has them, some more serious than others) to be able to keep the focus positive and 'stay on the sunny side of life' is what we ALL need to remember.

So it is not about the long or short cruise, but getting the most out of everyday we have.....a New Year's Eve Midnight run or a crazy cruise around Australia (which is on my bucket list of cruises to take).

Happy New Year to all, on this note!

Hey Carol;)

Some day we're gonna take that Southern Pacific on Legend down to French Polynesia. That's the bucket list. Alas, a couple we're on Legend to Hawaii with is going on down B2B, and I am green with jealousy!:rolleyes:

Hey Becci! :) You'll get there one day! ;)

My deepest thanks to you, too, Carol, for inspiring my love of fitness, too, which I have shared with my children... who have done so with their friends, too, and are now enjoying a healthy New Year's Eve, rather than one of overindulging and hangovers (although we are all a bit sore today after running four miles at midnight!). It was so important for me, in order to include physical activity as a regular part of my life, to regard it as candy, rather than medicine (in other words, something I love to do rather than something I have to do) -- I had to change my mind before I could change my actions, and studying you and talking to you has really helped me to do that.

The kids ran together, faster than I can run... but I was joined my friends from my regular marathon training group, and we had a great time, meeting up again at the finish line (we actually weren't too far behind the young folks).

What a great way to bring in the New Year! I am so proud of you! Glad I helped inspire you, but you had the commitment to carry on. You amaze me with what you do! Happy New Year! :D

And I am being selfish, too, because I would love to cruise with you again. It has been too long! :o

Edited by dirtgirl