Any Questions?

purrcycat

I was on the American Queen for the Memphis to New Orleans voyage that took place in early December. I enjoyed it immensely! If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

I just submitted a review, but it will take a few days for it to be posted.

• 3 weeks later...
Is Travis still doing his wonderful job? Is there a way to find out if he'll be aboard later in the year (like August)?

And thanks for your very thorough and helpful review!

You're welcome!

Jerry Hay is the Riverlorian now. I thought he did a great job! It seems as though Travis has moved on.

Thank you both, purrcycat and steamboats, for the endorsement of Jerry Hay. For me, the biggest reason to book an AQ cruise is to savor the Mississippi River experience. Which is why I'm looking at one of the St. Louis - St. Paul trips that include a stop in Hannibal, MO.

And that reminds me of another question. The company's description of the boat mentions a library in the Mark Twain Lounge. But the REAL library, which drew me back often, was a set of shelves in the Chart Room, filled with an in-depth selection of books specializing in the the history of the river and the steamboats. It was only open when the Riverlorian was on duty, but that was fine, because we had some good conversations which led to him pulling books out to recommend. Please reassure me that that special collection is still aboard?!?

Thank you both, purrcycat and steamboats, for the endorsement of Jerry Hay. For me, the biggest reason to book an AQ cruise is to savor the Mississippi River experience. Which is why I'm looking at one of the St. Louis - St. Paul trips that include a stop in Hannibal, MO.

And that reminds me of another question. The company's description of the boat mentions a library in the Mark Twain Lounge. But the REAL library, which drew me back often, was a set of shelves in the Chart Room, filled with an in-depth selection of books specializing in the the history of the river and the steamboats. It was only open when the Riverlorian was on duty, but that was fine, because we had some good conversations which led to him pulling books out to recommend. Please reassure me that that special collection is still aboard?!?

The books were still there on our recent lower Mississippi cruise, Dec 12-20. Jerry Hay is an amazing Riverlorian -- he has written definitive books on many of the nation's great rivers, and has a wealth of stories to tell.

I was wondering if the calliope is still there?

We took the Memphis-New Orleans cruise about 2 years ago and this October will be taking their St Louis-Nashville cruise.

The calliope was still there Dec 12-20, and still played at sailaway from almost every port. People still gather on the banks to hear it.

That's a great idea, but I haven't seen it in four cruises over the last three years since the new company started up.

By the way, we just contacted our TA to book the Round Trip St. Louis on Aug 22; to celebrate our 50th Anniversary on Aug 28.

About passengers being able to play the calliope, a couple years ago two of the people in our party asked about being able to play it and kept getting the runaround. No passenger ever got to play it.

Note: these two people who wanted to play, one was a retired music teacher and the other a musician - both still actively play the piano and organ today.

I can´t play the piano but I still can play an easy melody :cool:!

In the old days there used to be a session where everyone could give it a try (Calliope Capers) and you´ve received a nice certificate.

Due to the fact that the calliope has only 32 keys you can´t play it like a regular piano. And also you have to play it different as it takes some time until the sound appears when you hit a key. Takes some exercise.

steamboats

In the old days there used to be a session where everyone could give it a try (Calliope Capers) and you´ve received a nice certificate.

steamboats

Pity they don't do it the old way, like so many other things done now, oh well. Getting your very own Vox Calliopus certificate on the DELTA QUEEN was an event in and of itself! Hopefully, that thrill will return to the river once again, as there was nothing like it.

• 1 month later...
I was on the American Queen for the Memphis to New Orleans voyage that took place in early December. I enjoyed it immensely! If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

I just submitted a review, but it will take a few days for it to be posted.

Hi, I just read your review, you did a great job with your description.

We have a cabin on hold until tomorrow for the Memphis to New Orleans, May 30th-June 6th sailing. The cabin on hold is #218 on the Cabin Deck. It is a cabin with a bay window. The size is a little bigger than an inside room. Do you think we would hear engine room noise's? I know it is a steam engine, but is there any noise in this area?

Was this your first River Cruise? Have you taken any Ocean Cruises? Just wondering how they compare. I know I will probably have more questions, LOL.

Hi, I just read your review, you did a great job with your description.

We have a cabin on hold until tomorrow for the Memphis to New Orleans, May 30th-June 6th sailing. The cabin on hold is #218 on the Cabin Deck. It is a cabin with a bay window. The size is a little bigger than an inside room. Do you think we would hear engine room noise's? I know it is a steam engine, but is there any noise in this area?

Was this your first River Cruise? Have you taken any Ocean Cruises? Just wondering how they compare. I know I will probably have more questions, LOL.

We didn't notice any noise from the engine room and we spent many hours in the Engine Room Bar! I think you should be fine. This was our first river cruise and we have been on three ocean cruises. The big ships are great and they have a lot more activities to do on board, but you don't get the personal service that you get on the river cruise. We got to know the staff quite well on the American Queen and I felt quite sad leaving at the end of the trip. It was like leaving family behind. An additional benefit of the river cruise is that the hop on, hop off excursions are included in the fare. We thoroughly enjoy both but found the river cruise more relaxing and interesting. Plus, you are on the Mississippi!

I'm glad you enjoyed my review. Let me know if you have more questions.

• 3 weeks later...
Purrcycat, We have room 449. Do you think the location is ok? Not knowing anything about this boat, I just took what was given to me.

Thanks! :p

Hi Lynda:

From what I remember, there is nothing bad about the location of room 449. You will be at the opposite end from the Front Porch (casual dining), and a little closer to the dining room. But since the boat is quite small, everything is just a short walk away.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Janice

Hi Lynda:

From what I remember, there is nothing bad about the location of room 449. You will be at the opposite end from the Front Porch (casual dining), and a little closer to the dining room. But since the boat is quite small, everything is just a short walk away.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Janice

Thank you; I hope so too! :p

[quote name=purrcycat;459876. An additional benefit of the river cruise is that the hop on' date=' hop off excursions are included in the fare. We thoroughly enjoy both but found the river cruise more relaxing and interesting. Plus, you are on the Mississippi!

I'm glad you enjoyed my review. Let me know if you have more questions.[/quote]

Did you take any of the Premium Tours? Did you find yourself waiting in line to board the bus or waiting to catch a bus while in the towns? Thanks, Charliebeth