Taking kids out of school?

Mickfarland4

Does anyone do this? I have a first grader and am looking at our first cruise for sometime in 2016. I have limited times we can go because I am also in school. We can either go mid Dec-mid Jan and pay less or go mid may-mid Aug and pay more. Obviously, the winter sounds better:p! We would be on a tight budget and I am excited to have chosen a vacation we can make payments on and not have to save for.

And if I do decide on a winter cruise vs. summer what is the avg. temp in the Caribbean or aboard the ship when sailing? I'd hate to pay all that money and not be able to swim or use the waterslides because it's chilly!;) Thank you!!

going in winter to get away from the cold is the main reason we cruise in the winter.

Chose a port that is not bahamas. We did Bahamas in February and the air was 52 degrees. A lot warmer then at home but it was not what I wanted in a winter vacation.

Eastern or western ports will give you the nice warm weather without the humidty.

Does anyone do this? I have a first grader and am looking at our first cruise for sometime in 2016. I have limited times we can go because I am also in school. We can either go mid Dec-mid Jan and pay less or go mid may-mid Aug and pay more. Obviously, the winter sounds better:p! We would be on a tight budget and I am excited to have chosen a vacation we can make payments on and not have to save for.

And if I do decide on a winter cruise vs. summer what is the avg. temp in the Caribbean or aboard the ship when sailing? I'd hate to pay all that money and not be able to swim or use the waterslides because it's chilly!;) Thank you!!

Some school districts do not allow it because they lose pupil funding for the absentees.

As a retired teacher, I'd say do it. Travel is educational.

Edited by NMLady

Some school districts do not allow it because they lose pupil funding for the absentees.

I already looked into that just as a wondering kind of thing! ;) We can take him out for 5 days.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Remember that mid December to mid January has Christmas and New Year cruises -- which are not cheap.

Yes, thank you. I would never sail over the holidays since we have large families. Those are just my available dates of winter break. I am looking at the cruises before and after them. I appreciate the suggestion though cus those prices:eek:

Especially in the early grades. They'll likely actually remember the cruise as an awesome experience. BTW, there have been tons of threads on this and some people really get worked up about parents wanting to skip a week for of all things, a vacation!

Edited by Tenderpaw

BTW, there have been tons of threads on this and some people really get worked up about parents wanting to skip a week for of all things, a vacation!

Yes, if you want to read endless debates, go to the family forum here and do a search to pull up old threads on this tired subject. You will be amazed at the vast majority of posters on CC who have extremely gifted and talented children.

Many people do it, it's your choice.

My grand daughter is now in the 3rd grade - just turned 9.

We take her with us at least once a year during the school year. Until she has a problem with catching up we will do this. We bring homework with us to do while we are getting ready for dinner.

SHe has been to more places then most adults.

Beach after beach in a nondescript Caribbean cruise is a bit short on educational value. Visiting something like the Vatican museum is a whole different ball game. Yes -two extremes but the key is mixing business (education) with pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Beach after beach in a nondescript Caribbean cruise is a bit short on educational value. Visiting something like the Vatican museum is a whole different ball game. Yes -two extremes but the key is mixing business (education) with pleasure.

Learning about the geography of Caribbean and about the cultures on the various islands visited is not short on educational value. It's all in how it is presented.

Go for it. With very little effort, you can make the week of travel more educational than the week of first grade classes. If you coordinate with the teachers, you can probably find some fun things to teach that dovetail nicely with the school curriculum. Geography has already been mentioned, but also the differences in culture, weather, time, and how the ship works, are all potential lessons during the week.

We took our kids out for travel pretty frequently when they were younger and now they are very good students, able to understand social and cultural differences, and they have a much broader view of the world than their peers that have often never left the state, let alone the country.

Here's another teacher vote for "do it". Just don't do it every year.

We took our daughter to Disney World when she was in Grade 2. (I was on a leave.). We did make it clear that this was a special one-time deal. It didn't hurt her a bit and she still has great memories of the time with her grandfather...it was his first trip to Florida, too.

My last cruise (a transpacific) had 2 children aboard who had been taken out of school for a year of travel with their parents. They were about 9 and 11, I think; their parents were both teachers and so could home school them in their year of travel. I thought they were so lucky.

Yes, Do It!

Some will tell you that you should not pull a child out of school. Others will tell you it is okay. In fact, that is a decision that you, as the parent should make.

As to temperatures in the Caribbean, basically it will be in the lower eighties in the winter and in the upper eighties in the summer. Also, summer is hurricane season in the Caribbean.

If you ask what does it say, and what answer to you expect on a "vacation" oriented form ? :p

I've never taken my kids out of school for a "vacation!" As another noted search the threads to search this heated topic :D

You will be amazed at the vast majority of posters on CC who have extremely gifted and talented children.

That has always been my favorite part of the debates. Funny that my CC name is cruizinwithkids, but I don't usually anymore. In fact right now my son is on the Pride of America with his girlfriend.

My daughter was a "gifted and talented child." My son was average. MOST of their cruises were during vacations but they did miss school for a few of them. I think their traveling taught them "life" knowledge rather than book knowledge.

I've never gotten involved in the debates. I know that I have no regrets for having taken my kids out of school. My average student is working successfully after having graduated from college. My "gifted and talented child" is currently enrolled in college with pretty impressive scholarships.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Remember that mid December to mid January has Christmas and New Year cruises -- which are not cheap.

I was looking at December cruises yesterday; early to mid December is much cheaper than the week before and the week after Christmas.

OP, I would say taking your child out in grade 1 isn't a problem but regardless of the grade, as long as you are prepared to work with your child to get caught up, you could probably do it. Everything does depend on the abilities of your child though.

Edited by declansdad

I think this is just perception. I look at it as my son will learn a LOT about how all societies do not live as "rich" as we do in the States. Going to Jamaica and seeing true poverty would be a lesson he certainly won't learn in school. It would also likely be something he would remember for the rest of his life. ;)

Thanks for the replies! More than likely we will pull him out when we do go. Now, if only we lived in an area where we didn't need to fly to the port!:( I would love to sail out of NYC but, all the ships I love and can afford are out of FL!:rolleyes: Sure, we could drive but, no way can we take that much time off, which limits us to a closer port or airfare!

I think this is just perception. I look at it as my son will learn a LOT about how all societies do not live as "rich" as we do in the States. Going to Jamaica and seeing true poverty would be a lesson he certainly won't learn in school. It would also likely be something he would remember for the rest of his life. ;)

I agree -- seeing the way that different people live and how there's more than one way to do things in life is far, far better time spent than touring the Vatican or the Hermitage Museum, IMO.