Taking kids out of school?

Mickfarland4

Did anyone say anything about "kids deserving extra vacation time".

I sure never saw that statement anywhere. Parents make decisions based on family time and the needs of each individual families circumstances. No one has the right to judge choices made for the children who have no say about missing school and whether it is appropriate or not.

I personally believe that family time is as important as education and spending time together is a priceless gift.

Any kind of travel or outing is an experience to never forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The person I was responding too certainly implied that students deserve extra vacation time; if that isn't what she was saying I offer her my apology.

With regard to your statement, I do believe the opinion of the teacher should be taken in to consideration when making the decision to take a child who does struggle in school out for a vacation. If it could cause an issue for that child it is important to make that part of your decision and plan for helping the child catch up when they return to school.

The person I was responding too certainly implied that students deserve extra vacation time; if that isn't what she was saying I offer her my apology.

With regard to your statement, I do believe the opinion of the teacher should be taken in to consideration when making the decision to take a child who does struggle in school out for a vacation. If it could cause an issue for that child it is important to make that part of your decision and plan for helping the child catch up when they return to school.

I for one can not imagine even considering having a child miss school without considering the child's academics and performance issues.

Case in point took two grandchildren (8 & 9) to Hawaii missing school. Their older brother a senior in high school said the term was just starting and he could not miss AP Calc or Chemistry and he is a 4.0 student.

As I stated above, each family and each child has different needs and circumstances. Families don't always have a choice as to when they take a vacation and make choices accordingly.

WOW! That is the saddest thing I have ever heard out of a teachers mouth!! You should be ashamed of yourself and I will thank GOD that my children will never have you and I will also pray for the little souls that have you as a teacher. Unbelievable!!

I must be the luckiest parent ever because we live in a school district that values family and all forms of "education". From our district handbook, "Family vacations arranged in advance with the school administration are excused absences". "Students shall make up all assignments missed during excused absences, with credit awarded."

Our oldest just turned 21 and is a Junior in college, our second child is 18 and is a Freshman in college and our youngest is in 8th grade. They have been on 4 cruises and we are getting ready to take our 8th grader on her 5th cruise. They have learned so much from these experiences. The highlight was the year that we visited an orphanage in Roatan. I had researched the orphanage before and learned of their needs. We got a private driver who took us to a local grocery store (believe me-that was educational) and bought the orphanage their food needs for a month. My sons bought a basketball for the kids and we spent the entire afternoon playing, talking, and loving on these children. BELIEVE me this was educational!!

If you ask any of my kids about the standout moments of their lives I will assure you the experience at that orphanage will rank very high to the top. Learning is not just done in a classroom-the world is a classroom and we should encourage all to grab ahold of it even if that means a few days of school are missed.

So thankful for our school district and our awesome teachers that understand what education really is!

How wonderful to read. A huge lesson in empathy right there and not one that is attainable in a book. These are the kinds of things that I want to share with my kids. They are very young right now, but I know that my 4 year old has such a tender heart. The 3 year old is a little firecracker and really needs to experience these things to truly understand them though.

I for one can not imagine even considering having a child miss school without considering the child's academics and performance issues.

Case in point took two grandchildren (8 & 9) to Hawaii missing school. Their older brother a senior in high school said the term was just starting and he could not miss AP Calc or Chemistry and he is a 4.0 student.

As I stated above, each family and each child has different needs and circumstances. Families don't always have a choice as to when they take a vacation and make choices accordingly.

I agree with you, each family should make their own decision.

Wow! I'm pretty upset by some of the attitudes I see toward teachers in this thread. (FTR, I an NOT a teacher nor have I ever been one.)

I do think family time is important, and if parents' work schedules do not allow them to vacation during school breaks, I think it's reasonable to allow children to miss school to have a family vacation. But if parents choose to vacation in off seasons because it's less crowded or they can take a more expensive trip, I think their priorities are not on their children's education but their own convenience or financial benefit.

Teachers do not live in a vacuum. They have families, demands on their time, and budgetary constraints. It's because they are committed to your child's education that they feel you have a responsibility to, at a minimum, ensure that your children attend school at the mandated times. I think it's somewhat entitled to feel that they have a responsibility to put forth an extra effort when you do not fulfill your minimum duty. If some teachers agree with your priorities and are willing to put forth the extra effort to facilitate your travels, that's very kind of them, but to think that THEY have a duty to do so is presumptuous, IMO.

I suppose you parents who place such great value on the educational benefits of cruising would be okay hearing that you child's math teacher will be out for a week in February and his English teacher will be out for ten days in May, and his science teacher will be out for two weeks in October, and his Spanish teacher will extend her spring break by an additional five days so THEIR children can experience those same educational benefits.

I suppose you parents who place such great value on the educational benefits of cruising would be okay hearing that you child's math teacher will be out for a week in February and his English teacher will be out for ten days in May, and his science teacher will be out for two weeks in October, and his Spanish teacher will extend her spring break by an additional five days so THEIR children can experience those same educational benefits.

I don't see a problem with this. That is why there are substitute teachers.

As stated, its up to each family to decide if its right for them to take their kids out of school (we are one of them who are ok with it while our kids are pre-high school). And seeing how busy Disney World / Disney Cruises are during off season, it seems like there a ton of families out there that agree (I'm selecting these as examples since the majority of families are coming with kids).

Edited by LuCruise

As stated, its up to each family to decide if its right for them to take their kids out of school (we are one of them who are ok with it while our kids are pre-high school). And seeing how busy Disney World / Disney Cruises are during off season, it seems like there a ton of families out there that agree (I'm selecting these as examples since the majority of families are coming with kids).

If the families don't have kids, then the "taking the kids out of school" theme of this thread doesn't apply.

As a teacher, I would say that any experience that takes children out of their normal environment and shows them something different is an enormous learning opportunity for the children. As a parent, taking them out of their normal school activities, it's your responsibility to look for ways this trip can show them something new to them - different geography, different culture, different architecture, different animals and plants, and so on. That is your responsibility - to do your research and show them new things, and help your kids learn from the new things they will see.

I also think you should remind them the trip is not a free-for-all. Set aside an hour a day for normal school activities and stick to it. There should be reading aloud. If the teacher can give you something for them to read, great, but if not, get them to read the cruise newsletter each day with you, and help them with the words. For math, you can play card games that involve counting, matching, and so on (look it up on the internet if you don't know any, and be prepared in advance).

I also think children who are given the gift of traveling should be required to keep a diary of what they learned and observed each day. Buy them a blank book and a special pen. If they can't write, have them dictate to you, and write their exact words down in the diary. Then, as a reading exercise, you can ask the children to read back what you wrote for them - their own words - they will love this.

Finally, I would ask the teacher if your child can make a report to the class about their learnings while they were away. And I would make the children responsible for remembering they will have to do this, and preparing (if the teacher agrees.) And you need to help them with this.

So sure, take the kids out of school. Make yourself responsible for their learning while you are traveling. Use every opportunity to help them see new things and record them in a travel diary. Make a "School time" every day and get some schooling done in that time - learning can be fun, but it must be done. And make the kids accountable for thinking about and recording their experiences - they should be thinking about what they are learning and it's your job to help them focus on that.

There will still be lots of time for the pool and the activities. And all the rest of the great things on the ship and ashore. You be the teacher for your children's trip, and it will all turn out well.

We took our kids out when they were in 6th and 3rd grade. It wasn't a big deal to make up since we let the teachers know in advance and my kids are good students. BUT, I probably wouldn't take a junior high student out and definitely not a high school student. Just TOO much work to make up.

And, having been a substitute teacher, I am aware of the significantly greater level of calls in May (when some school districts' "use it or lose it" approach to not permitting carry-over of unused days) than in other months.

As a parent, taking them out of their normal school activities, it's your responsibility to look for ways this trip can show them something new to them - different geography, different culture, different architecture, different animals and plants, and so on. That is your responsibility - to do your research and show them new things, and help your kids learn from the new things they will see....

You be the teacher for your children's trip, and it will all turn out well.

Excellent post!

What always interests me is that opinions seem to revolve around there being plenty of school vacation times to use for family vacations.

Since when did the school calendar drive the economy?

Not all workers can take only school holidays off. If everyone with jobs and kids were to book holidays only during school breaks, some places ( other than schools) would be left inoperable. It simply cannot happen.

Kids need to learn that the parents' jobs drive the family's ability to do everything, not the school. And the kids need to learn that if parents can only get time off during school, then the family has to deal with that by catching the kids up. That is simply teaching the kids responsibility for choices and actions. I do not agree with the parents who then assume the teacher should do extra to catch the kids up - I believe it is the parent's responsibility to deal with their choices.

We were both pulled out as kids - right thru high school, and we are pulling our kids out- currently they are in gr 7 & 9. Both kids are honor roll. Now we are in Canada so we do not have any funding issues. We notify the school and the teachers and go from there.

We do this simply because that is when vacation time from work is available.

We regularly (once per school year) took our son out of school for 5-7 days from kindergarten through 5th grade without any issues. We only took him out for 3 days in 6th grade. This year (7th grade) we took him out for 6 days and it was difficult for him to get the work all done (before and after) and his tests scores suffered for it. The teachers were very helpful and understanding, but I don't think we will take him out for that long again. He even told me, "Mom, I think a week is too long to be gone from school." Very mature of him, though I will miss my fall vacations to San Diego and Disneyland! He said we aren't allowed to go without him :)

Edited by buffy24

Teachers do not live in a vacuum. They have families, demands on their time, and budgetary constraints. It's because they are committed to your child's education that they feel you have a responsibility to, at a minimum, ensure that your children attend school at the mandated times. I think it's somewhat entitled to feel that they have a responsibility to put forth an extra effort when you do not fulfill your minimum duty. If some teachers agree with your priorities and are willing to put forth the extra effort to facilitate your travels, that's very kind of them, but to think that THEY have a duty to do so is presumptuous, IMO.

Thank you for appreciating the position of some teachers.

And, having been a substitute teacher, I am aware of the significantly greater level of calls in May (when some school districts' "use it or lose it" approach to not permitting carry-over of unused days) than in other months.

Both of you have a point here as well.

Most school districts I know of, and I've worked in a few, have policies against teachers taking off work when school is not in session unless they are actually ill. They can demand proof of illness if you take off too many days.

I know of one teacher who lost her job because they wanted to take a vacation with their adult daughter while waiting for a transplant. She was strong enough to go, and wanted to see a few things just in case, while she could. The teacher handled it poorly, but so did the school. I didn't care for the teacher, and understood both sides. The district would let her off to take care of the sick daughter, but not to travel with the sick daughter. Kind of a crazy situation. She had the sick days, but wasn't allowed to use them for this purpose. She volunteered to just go without pay, and they decided not to allow that.

Most teachers around me can't take vacations during winter break because they can't afford them. Spring break may or may not be within the price reach, p l us if we have too much bad weather they take away spring break. If they take spring break, teachers here are required to attend school or risk losing their jobs. The fact that it was scheduled time off doesn't mean anything.

Summer classes at the universities start either the week after the district finishes, or in some cases while the public schools are still holding classes. Since many teachers are required to take classes to keep their teaching licenses, it means there are few opportunities for vacations.

Taking all this into consideration, it is no wonder that many of my colleagues in the schools get grumpy when asked to prepare out of class packets for children who will be out of class for a vacation. School is no longer about the children, at least from my jaded point of view, even though every politician uses the phrase, "it's for the children "

All that said, I still believe that ultimately parents are responsible for the education of their children. If you want to take them out, go for it.

I'm just glad I'm no longer in a high school classroom!

Edited by Algebralovr

It seems that some comments comparing parents taking children out of school for trips with teachers missing work so they can travel miss at least one key point. With Christmas, Spring and Summer vacations, not to mention (in some districts) President's week, teachers have a whole lot more vacation time to work with than most working parents. Sure, much of that time is in higher price periods, but the fact that most teachers have more than a couple of months time off to work around while most others are working with two or three weeks makes the comparison absurd.