Question? Help with MTD and specialty restaurant tipping

Going on Oasis for the 1st time in April! This will be my 3rd cruise, only with Royal. We have used main seating both times, but it want to eat at the specialty restaurants for most nights if not all. I signed up for MTD since I wanted the flexibility. I was told you had to pay up front for tipping, which I did.

My question is .....if I only do the specialty restaurants and never end up even using MTD can I control where that tip money goes? Should I cancel the MTD and just plan on tipping at the specialty restaurants as I go?

This is an ongoing debate here on CC.

First of all the tipping covers more than the wait staff, cabin and such.

We leave ours paid for and then not worry about it, and if some really goes above and beyond the call of service we leave a monetary donation. Like in the specialty restarants.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

Going on Oasis for the 1st time in April! This will be my 3rd cruise, only with Royal. We have used main seating both times, but it want to eat at the specialty restaurants for most nights if not all. I signed up for MTD since I wanted the flexibility. I was told you had to pay up front for tipping, which I did.

My question is .....if I only do the specialty restaurants and never end up even using MTD can I control where that tip money goes? Should I cancel the MTD and just plan on tipping at the specialty restaurants as I go?

Tips are included in the fee that you pay for specialty dining. The tips that are charged to your Seapass covers dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as housekeeping.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

the Prepaid tips are for ALL dining in ALL free venues so unless you plan on eating breakfast lunch and dinner Roomservice( which you should be tipping separately anyway) or in a specialty, leave them as is. the surcharge covers the waitstaff in the specialty DR although you are free to tip extra if you feel it is warranted.

If you do not eat at all in MTD, then your prepaid gratuities, that are allocated for dining room staff, will be channeled differently and you have no control over that. If you eat just one dinner in MTD, then your gratuities will stay with the MTD room staff.