Lincoln Tunnel or Verrazano Br/Bklyn Battery Tunnel on a Sat. morning?

Turtles06

We are sailing on the NCL Gem on Saturday, May 2, out of Manhattan (fortunately not on that Sunday, which is the TD Five Boro Bike Tour). We'll be driving in on Friday and parking at the port on Saturday morning. No need for us to stay in a hotel in Manhattan, we just need an inexpensive place for that Friday night, so I'm looking at Staten Island (maybe be Hilton Garden Inn) or something perhaps in the Secaucus area, where we'd be closer to Manhattan.

The former option would have us driving over the Verrazano Bridge on Saturday morning, up the Belt Parkway and thru the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel; the latter option would have us getting into Manhattan through the Lincoln Tunnel.

Anyone have any particular advice about either option? Any huge problems with the Lincoln Tunnel on Saturday mornings? Any other thoughts or advice, or recommendation of a particular place to stay outside Manhattan that's a fairly easy drive in on a Saturday morning?

Thanks in advance for the help!

The first option is very circuitous, and the Battery tunnel would put you at the lower tip of Manhattan. Saturday traffic is a mess also.

The second option would be to take the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel. This would put you on the West Side close to the cruise terminals.

Even if you stay on Staten Island, I don't recommend the route from Staten Island to the pier you're considering. It's virtually always much better to jump back into NJ via the Goethals Bridge and take the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel. If there's a serious problem at the Lincoln Tunnel (listen to traffic reports on WCBS 880 and WINS 1010) you can choose to take the Holland Tunnel or GW Bridge instead.

Thanks everyone. Lincoln Tunnel on Saturday morning it is! Much appreciated!

As a former Staten Island Resident I even took the NYC Transit Express Bus route that went thru NJ (weekdays) so yup through the Garden State.

Also you don't take the Belt Parkway from the VZ Bridge to the Tunnel, it is the Gowanus Expressway or I-278 but now you don't even need to know that.

FWIW

I'd rather travel farther in NJ then drive in most parts of NYC.

I'm glad you picked the Lincoln Tunnel

The morning of your cruise listen to FM radio 101.5 for the best Jersey traffic and alternate between AM 880 and 1010 for Hudson river crossing updates.

I'd rather travel farther in NJ then drive in most parts of NYC.

I'm glad you picked the Lincoln Tunnel

The morning of your cruise listen to FM radio 101.5 for the best Jersey traffic and alternate between AM 880 and 1010 for Hudson river crossing updates.

Once you get into NE NJ you can't get 101.5 (I usually switch it on around exit 130 on the Parkway). I know I'm almost home when it starts to static!

Once you get into NE NJ you can't get 101.5 (I usually switch it on around exit 130 on the Parkway). I know I'm almost home when it starts to static!

I can usually get it up to exit 148 on GSP & on the TPK until I got off the exit.

Still if 101.5 fluxuates out, the driver knows to switch to AM. :)

Thanks for all the traffic radio stations!

BTW, I know some of you aren't fans of heading across Brooklyn and driving up the west side of Manhattan, but I've done that a number of times on a weekend morning, and it's not bad. (Now, on a weekday... fuhgettaboutit!) No worries, though, we'll take the Lincoln Tunnel. I just wanted to be sure people didn't say it was usually insane on a Saturday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on Mother's Day this year. Does anyone know if there will be any problems coming in from Philly on the Lincoln Tunnel that morning? I know here there is a big Breast Cancer Walk- many roads closed in the Philly area ... Anything like that in NY that we should be concerned about?

We are sailing on Mother's Day this year. Does anyone know if there will be any problems coming in from Philly on the Lincoln Tunnel that morning? I know here there is a big Breast Cancer Walk- many roads closed in the Philly area ... Anything like that in NY that we should be concerned about?

Its rare that its a problem on the west side of Manhattan even during the Marathon. NY handles large crowds very well and it should not be a problem(famous last words is you never really know) . leave early and give your self plenty of time.

The Breast cancer walk in NYC is in October.

http://www.avon39.org/new-york/

I can't find anything that would disrupt Mothers Day traffic in NYC(except me)...