Tips for Going Solo

Canadian_J

Hey everyone. I'm sailing this week on the Caribbean Princess and for the first time decided to go solo. I've done a few short trips solo before because of the nature of my work. I work for an airline and sometimes it's solo or nothing, and I'm not about to miss an opportunity! However, I found myself a lot more hesitant about booking a cruise solo than a regular land-based vacation. Thought I'd put it out there and see if any of you have any tips for going solo on a cruise, or if anyone wanted to share their experiences.

I've booked Anytime Dining, so that I'm not stuck with the same people every night. Admittedly, the dining room makes me a little more anxious than some other parts of the trip, as it isn't as easy to get out of if you aren't clicking with the people you're seated with. We've all been there before! Friends mentioned to look out for the LGBT Meetup in the Princess Patter, and I've heard it's similar to Carnival, so I'm hoping that is well attended.

I'm naturally a pretty social person so I'm expecting to have a great time either way, and very excited to finally try Princess. Thanks in advance for your replies :cool:

Hey everyone. I'm sailing this week on the Caribbean Princess and for the first time decided to go solo. I've done a few short trips solo before because of the nature of my work. I work for an airline and sometimes it's solo or nothing, and I'm not about to miss an opportunity! However, I found myself a lot more hesitant about booking a cruise solo than a regular land-based vacation. Thought I'd put it out there and see if any of you have any tips for going solo on a cruise, or if anyone wanted to share their experiences.

I've booked Anytime Dining, so that I'm not stuck with the same people every night. Admittedly, the dining room makes me a little more anxious than some other parts of the trip, as it isn't as easy to get out of if you aren't clicking with the people you're seated with. We've all been there before! Friends mentioned to look out for the LGBT Meetup in the Princess Patter, and I've heard it's similar to Carnival, so I'm hoping that is well attended.

I'm naturally a pretty social person so I'm expecting to have a great time either way, and very excited to finally try Princess. Thanks in advance for your replies :cool:

hey J, I know what you mean by being hesitant about the dining. I find it the hardest part of cruising solo and it usually takes a few nights to find a good table that I'm comfortable with. I have always made mates with the MD which has been worthwhile and he/she has always helped if Im not happy on a table.

Fortunately the slight minus of the initial dining experience is far outweighed by the advantages and apart from a few quick short-lived bad dining experiences the overall experience has been good.

Just remember if you find you are unhappy with a table that you dont have to put up with it....

Have a great trip..regards Roscoe

First or second night, nothing wrong with dining alone or with strangers. It takes a night or two to find the right people you actually want to dine with. FOD meetups generally precede dinner times and that's when you can find people who want to join a table. My only advice is to avoid super large groups for dinner. In a super long table with a dozen people, you'll never get to chat with everyone in your group, plus food service slows down to a crawl.

A good first night ritual to actually meet your bartender, particularly the one who serves during the FOD meetup. Tip your bartender well on the first night and they'll always be looking out for you, including making extra tasty drinks and introducing you to other cruisers. Great way to be introduced to people without having to make the first move.

Actually I prefer cruising solo compared to land based holidays. Specifically because of the dining and getting to meet and know different people ensures I dont go out of my tree sitting alone night after night and barely talking to anyone day in and out.

Actually I prefer cruising solo compared to land based holidays. Specifically because of the dining and getting to meet and know different people ensures I dont go out of my tree sitting alone night after night and barely talking to anyone day in and out.

Thanks for posting this! This is something I wondered about and thought would be true. Considering my first solo cruise in April as partner isn't able to go. I thought I would try a 4 night and see how it goes before I would commit to a week.

Thanks for posting this! This is something I wondered about and thought would be true. Considering my first solo cruise in April as partner isn't able to go. I thought I would try a 4 night and see how it goes before I would commit to a week.

The fiji cruise I did we got taken back to the mainland half way through due to a hurricane coming in. At the hotel I went to when I went for a meal fellow cruisers would spot me and invite me to join them at their table. Wouldnt have been like that without the cruise part first.

I have dones solo land trips before but first solo cruise. Granted this on is on RSVP so will be different. I will track this thread and see if ideas happen. I would contribute but at moment, nothing valuable comes to mind.

I have always traveled solo. I have had better luck meeting with and engaging with straight people than gays. I have found gays to be distant and difficult to engage.

I've cruised solo 8 times, and this has also been my experience. Gay couples in particular seem extremely reluctant to interact with gay solos. This is not a problem with straight couples or straight solos.

Having said that, I love solo cruising - lets me keep my own schedule and I always meet lots of interesting, friendly people, even if they are not often "family."

RSVP/Atlantis may be different, but I haven't tried them for the same reason I've never done an organized singles cruise - they're overpriced compared to other cruises.

Edited by GaNavy

All but one of my cruises has been solo. I love it. I've sailed with both Cunard and Princess and have always met interesting people.

I found Anytime Dining with Princess to be somewhat disappointing. I was seated alone automatically, which was okay once, but not exactly what I had in mind. In future ill stick with Traditional /Main Dining.

I tend not to make being gay a focus of my cruise holidays. I find it more rewarding to meet new people regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, etc. I have gone to FOD meetings on some cruises, but not on others.

Solo cruising is ultimately great because you get the entire stateroom to yourself! No sharing of the wardrobe, the bed, or the bathroom is the biggest pro.

Just be prepared to be pitied for being solo or, worse, congratulated for being "brave" for travelling solo. I don't see either as being correct in my context. I like the freedom solo travel affords me. It's the couples I pity - those whose individuality has become absorbed into a single entity where every sentence starts with 'we...'

May such tragedy never befall me.

Embrace being a solo cruiser. There's no better way to travel the seas!

I hope you have fun.

We went on the Carnival's Elation back in December and they had unsupervised LGBT meetups every night. However, we showed up (my husband and I and our two friends who are partnered) and saw NO ONE. We thought perhaps we saw someone here or there but the meet ups simply did not work. Maybe there just weren't enough of us. If they had someone supervise it and actually get people mingling and such it would work out much better. Even if they only did that on the first night and let everyone meet up voluntarily the rest of the trip, it would help. Breaking the ice would be helpful. Maybe your ship will have more of an LGBT population, though.

I was worried about going solo too. I went on Freedom of the Seas. I never did see or attend a meet. However I did attend the roll call meet. Met quite a few people. So I was really never alone. I was running into different people through out the Cruise. I never did go to the Dining Room. I just didnt want to. I ate other places. No problems. Im a social person so it wasnt hard to strike up a conversation if I felt like talking. I like having the freedom to do what I want when I want. It was great! I did get that person who asks why are you here alone? I felt like saying its none of your business ( I hate nosey people). I just blew it off and told them why. When you cant find someone to go do it by yourself! I have traveled on many land vacations alone. The Cruise was new to me for going solo. But after a few hours it felt just like it does on land. Hate to sound like a Nike commercial but Just Do It! You wont regret it.

• 4 years later...

My first solo cruise was in 2015, six weeks after the death of my husband. It was on the Celebrity Constellation, and I did not enjoy it very much. I attended the first LGBT Meet of the cruise, but it was held in what felt like the loudest place on the ship at the busiest time - I tried to say "hi" to a few people, but I could not make myself heard, so I bolted. On the last evening of the cruise I was catching a smoke on the exterior deck by the theater, and a very sweet (male) couple started chatting with me, and, while I don't remember much else about that cruise, I do remember how greatful I felt to actually be in a conversation with real people after what felt like a week of isolation.

I have cruised solo several times since, and have had a good time on most of them. I have also remarried, and the new husband is not much of a cruise fan (we did do one together), so I still cruise solo if I want a cruise.

I attend the LGBT meets, but I do not have the required chutzpah to walk up cold to strangers and say hello unless they are very obviously there for the meet. I find the meets to be much more sucessful when they are "hosted" by a crew member, but that seems to be a rarity. Tess on the Grand Princess does it right!

If you are young and attractive, you have a 0% chance of having a bad time.  Just calling it like it is.  I've witnessed all too often the older, "average" looking solo cruiser who spends the whole trip behind the pages of a book.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, hejiranyc said:

If you are young and attractive, you have a 0% chance of having a bad time.  Just calling it like it is.  I've witnessed all too often the older, "average" looking solo cruiser who spends the whole trip behind the pages of a book.

And that's bad why? 

Oh, I think that kind of stereotyping all young and attracting people as the only ones that can have a good time.  I consider myself as "average" looking and having gone on either an all-gay cruise or mainstream cruise; I've always had a good time and met others.  I think it comes down to your attitude and your ability to get out of your comfort zone and mix and mingle instead of hiding behind a book.   Most all people have some sort of social anxiety.  It's all part of the fear of rejection.  If someone isn't interest in me I just move to the next person.  I guess if you want to hide behind a book that's your decision; but I think it's kind of pointless going on a cruise.  You might as well stay home.  Just my two cents. 

21 hours ago, COMBOY said:

Oh, I think that kind of stereotyping all young and attracting people as the only ones that can have a good time.  I consider myself as "average" looking and having gone on either an all-gay cruise or mainstream cruise; I've always had a good time and met others.  I think it comes down to your attitude and your ability to get out of your comfort zone and mix and mingle instead of hiding behind a book.   Most all people have some sort of social anxiety.  It's all part of the fear of rejection.  If someone isn't interest in me I just move to the next person.  I guess if you want to hide behind a book that's your decision; but I think it's kind of pointless going on a cruise.  You might as well stay home.  Just my two cents. 

Don't misquote me.  I didn't say that young and attractive people are the ONLY ones that can have a good time.  I'm just saying that if you are neither of those things, your results may vary.  I think going solo on a gay cruise is a recipe for bringing out the worst insecurities in all of us (which probably explains the prevalence of drugs on such outings).  It takes a lot of confidence to put yourself out there like that, especially so if you are not considered physically attractive in the mainstream/conventional way.  I personally was considering the RSVP Alaska cruise this year, but I decided that I'd rather be stress/neurosis-free.  Unlike at a gay bar or club, you can't just simply decide you've had enough and walk off the ship!