Hilton Head/Savannah

JerryInIL

Need accomodations suggestions for Hilton Head and Savannah. Is it best to stay in the Historic Distict of Savannah? Probably will spend a couple of nights in Savannah, then maybe a week in HH to relax. We would like nice condo or Resort. Not golfing. Traveling with teens. Thanks.

gab

I lived in Savannah for 5 years, Pebbles lived there most of her life. The "big draw" for Savannah is River Street, which is a string of shops and bars that the sailors used to frequent back when Savannah was a major port town. River Street is no more dangerous than any other tourist trap, but I will say this - if you go 1/2 mile south and two-blocks west of Riverstreet - you are in a very bad section of town - it kind of reminds me of New Orleans.

As for resorts, the best places are out on Tybee Island and are typically associated with golf... Having said that, there are some really nice hotels next to..or on..River Street...Hyatt Regency is the bigest and is on River street (and the most $$), across Main street from the HR and one block away is a nice Days Inn. IMHO, I would not stay anywhere else than those two hotels, if your desire is to stay near River Street.

Of course, there are other places to go in Savannah, which is where they filmed Forest Gump (sitting in Forsyth Park with the box of chocolates - a few blocks south on Bull Street).

THE place to eat: its called Mrs. Wilkes, and it is impossible to find, because it is part of a house. If you stay downtown, ask the hotel folks for directions (they probably eat their lunch there 1-2 days a week...)

Other safe eating places: The Pirates House - mix ($$$), Carey Hilliards - seafood, pork ($), and several places on River Street. If you go 10 miles south of Savannah on I-95 (Abercorn St. exit), there is a place called the "Crab House" where you can get a "low-country boil" of shrimp, sausage, potatoes and corn that is second to none....

Ask me more - I'll get the answers for you...

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

• 2 weeks later...

I go to hilton head a lot. Sea Pines plantation is the most desired are to rent a condo at. Go to this website and inquire about Sea Pines. http://www.resortquest.com/hiltonhead/

South Beach in sea Pines plantation is my favorite. Then comes Harbour Town- but Harbour Town is more crowded.

You will love Sea Pines.

Andreakul

6/13/04 Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;13;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Grandeur 3/13/2004

Navigator 7/5/2003

Explorer 7/5/2002

Infinity 7/20/2001

Norway- Millenium Cruise 2000

• 2 months later...

Archived