St. Croix Local

drake2014

Drake,

Thanks for the info you have given, I've found it very helpful! We are coming on 12.15.15 and will be renting a car. We wanted to try and hit a few beaches and do some snorkeling. First, on Point Udall, it looks like there are two beaches within walking distance, Isaac Bay and East End Bay. Are these easy enough to get to for walking with a 9 year-old? Is it OK to leave the car parked at Point Udall?

Second, on the West end of the island, there is a road "Veteran's Shore Drive" that looks like it ends at a pool and parking lot. Here is a photo, which may or may not work, it has been awhile:

<a href=St.%20Croix.png' alt='St.%20Croix.png'>

Are you allowed to park there and use that beach? It looks very convenient with the paved lot.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Drake,

Thanks for the info you have given, I've found it very helpful! We are coming on 12.15.15 and will be renting a car. We wanted to try and hit a few beaches and do some snorkeling. First, on Point Udall, it looks like there are two beaches within walking distance, Isaac Bay and East End Bay. Are these easy enough to get to for walking with a 9 year-old? Is it OK to leave the car parked at Point Udall?

Second, on the West end of the island, there is a road "Veteran's Shore Drive" that looks like it ends at a pool and parking lot. Here is a photo, which may or may not work, it has been awhile:

p><p>Happy to help! I

DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR AT POINT UDALL. The car itself will be fine as nobody messes with rentals but leave it unlocked and empty or you'll probably come back to a broken window and missing items. Unfortunate but that's the way it is out there. :(

The pool at the west end is the public pool for Frederiksted (officially the Vincent Mason Sr. Pool) and it is a beautiful place, I highly recommend it for families like yours. The pool has great amenities and a lovely beach to spend time on. Do plan ahead for food though as I doubt anyone will be offering anything to eat on a Tuesday.

I hope I answered everything for you, if you have anymore questions please let me know!

Hello Drake. I will be in St. Croix on December 6th and I was hoping to get a bit of advice about transportation. I will be in a group of 7 (6 adults and one 18-month-old) and we are planning to check out Cruzan Rum and then wander a bit before settling at either Rainbow Beach or Freedom City Surf.

My first inclination is to get a rental, since it would probably be easier with a carseat. But then I saw something you posted a few days ago:

DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR AT POINT UDALL. The car itself will be fine as nobody messes with rentals but leave it unlocked and empty or you'll probably come back to a broken window and missing items. Unfortunate but that's the way it is out there.

Does that apply everywhere or just at Point Udall? I would hate for my friends to lose their carseat or diaper bag or anything like that.

My second consideration would be cost. It looks like it would be approximately $88 to rent a van through Budget, but I have no idea what it would cost for our group to take a taxi from the pier to Cruzan and then back to somewhere near the fort. If it was significantly cheaper, they may be willing to deal with figuring out using a carseat in taxis.

Finally, are we being a little foolish to be trying to do Cruzan with a little one? Would it be better to split up and have the family hang out closer to the Pier and then meet up with them after the rum factory?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter. Our friends just recently decided to bring their little one and we are realizing that there is a lot more to consider when making our plans.

Thanks and have a great day! :)

• 3 weeks later...

thanks drake for all the input you have given to us crazy cruisers.

We will be there on december15 (tuesday) . I was wondering about some of the historical tours. would you suggest that we do this with a guide or on our own?

We would like to see the fort, botanical gardens, and maybe something else besides the rum factory. ( have toured several, so not interested in seeing another)

We are history buffs ourselves and 43, but in pretty decent shape but, dont want to walk for miles, so anything that you would suggest would be greatly appreciated. what would be the best option on how to do this

Plus at the end of our day we would like to maybe spend a couple of hours at the beach. (come meet us and I'll buy you a beer or 2 or 3 LOL) We will have already been to 4 other ports so hubby will probably already be fried. Plus setting in the shade enjoying the sound of the waves always makes for a great end to a busy day.

thanks drake for all the input you have given to us crazy cruisers.

We will be there on december15 (tuesday) . I was wondering about some of the historical tours. would you suggest that we do this with a guide or on our own?

We would like to see the fort, botanical gardens, and maybe something else besides the rum factory. ( have toured several, so not interested in seeing another)

We are history buffs ourselves and 43, but in pretty decent shape but, dont want to walk for miles, so anything that you would suggest would be greatly appreciated. what would be the best option on how to do this

Plus at the end of our day we would like to maybe spend a couple of hours at the beach. (come meet us and I'll buy you a beer or 2 or 3 LOL) We will have already been to 4 other ports so hubby will probably already be fried. Plus setting in the shade enjoying the sound of the waves always makes for a great end to a busy day.

Happy to help! I answered this on your other thread but wanted to make sure I posted this here too. Call my buddy Prince at 340-642-3811 and see what kind of tour he can do for you.

Hi, Drake,

i've quickly looked at the baords for St. Croix and you are clearly the local expert!

Friends of mine are visiting St Croix soon on 3 dec with Celebrity Constellation. They have picked this cruise because it goes to St Croix and they know that there are links there back to Uk and Ireland and to family relatives etc..

Could you recommend a guide who really knows the history of the island and who could help them perhaps find where their relatives roots are on the island?

I think they are after a different sort of experience to the normal tour offered so is there anyone who could do a bespoke tour with them? would you be able to share a phone number or email?

Many thanks,

Ashley

Hi, Drake,

i've quickly looked at the baords for St. Croix and you are clearly the local expert!

Friends of mine are visiting St Croix soon on 3 dec with Celebrity Constellation. They have picked this cruise because it goes to St Croix and they know that there are links there back to Uk and Ireland and to family relatives etc..

Could you recommend a guide who really knows the history of the island and who could help them perhaps find where their relatives roots are on the island?

I think they are after a different sort of experience to the normal tour offered so is there anyone who could do a bespoke tour with them? would you be able to share a phone number or email?

Many thanks,

Ashley

I don't know anyone that does that type of tour but I do know that the Whim Museum has some great family record resources. They may want to call them and see if they can help.

• 2 months later...

Hi Darrin, since you are one of the "natives or locals" (I have tried to do a lot of reading up on St. Croix, and Drake has been good too), I thought I would ask. So it looks like Ft. Frederick Beach, and then Freedom City Beach are fairly close to the pier, is that correct? Do we need a Taxi to get to either of them?

If we wanted a "native" to take us around for about an hour, do you have an idea what the cost would be pp?

I'm trying to make as many notes as I can, so I will have this information when we cruise to St. Croix, and then I'll know (hopefully) what we will be doing.:)

Hi Darrin, since you are one of the "natives or locals" (I have tried to do a lot of reading up on St. Croix, and Drake has been good too), I thought I would ask. So it looks like Ft. Frederick Beach, and then Freedom City Beach are fairly close to the pier, is that correct? Do we need a Taxi to get to either of them?

If we wanted a "native" to take us around for about an hour, do you have an idea what the cost would be pp?

I'm trying to make as many notes as I can, so I will have this information when we cruise to St. Croix, and then I'll know (hopefully) what we will be doing.:)

Beshears you crack me up,

My name is Darrin Drake, and my friends call me Drake.

I've been helping you plan so far and you have now found my original thread from when I joined this forum. Perhaps you would like to make a new thread to consolidate all of your questions into? Rather than hopping from thread to thread.

On to today's questions:

Yes Fort Frederik beach and Freedom City are within walking distance for most able-bodied folks. It would be up to you if you need a taxi or not, if so it'll be about $5 pp to Freedom City.

For a private hour tour I would think it would be about $25 per person. My usual driver hasn't called me back on it yet so please consider that a rough estimate.

At your service as always,

Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

Sorry if you have already answered this and I missed it, but I am reading reviews, mostly a few years old, saying they saw very few fish snorkeling at Buck Island and the coral is almost dead. Do you know if that situation has improved in the past few years? Thanks.

Sorry if you have already answered this and I missed it, but I am reading reviews, mostly a few years old, saying they saw very few fish snorkeling at Buck Island and the coral is almost dead. Do you know if that situation has improved in the past few years? Thanks.

It's getting better all the time, but it's certainly not perfect. I think it's still worth a visit and I usually go once a year.

So we will be in St. Croix in about 2 1/2 weeks just wanted to get an idea of how much to expect for a cab ride to the Cruzan tour? Probably looking to hit Sandcastle beach afterwards. Can't wait :D

About $15 per couple, maybe $20 at the most. Make sure to make arrangements for the return trip!

Coming on Friday February 19th. Group of 4 two are in our 40's two are in their 60's. We are the only ship in port that day. Differences between the two??

Thank You

Sandcastle is quieter and more peaceful, but you'll need a taxi to get there. Freedom City is more active but within walking distance.

If you just want to swim around and relax on the beach I recommend Sandcastle.

Is it $5 per person or $5 for up to some many people?

Generally taxi rates here are one price for up to 2 people, then additional charges for extra people. The first 2 people are going to cost about $15, additional people will be about $8.

All that being said, if you find a taxi that's already going that way you may get a better deal.

Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

One more question: We will be there on Easter Sunday (AOS) and was wondering if the cabs will be running as usual that day and what about the shops being open? I am expecting beaches to be very crowded and probably lines for the cabs if they are operating.

One more question: We will be there on Easter Sunday (AOS) and was wondering if the cabs will be running as usual that day and what about the shops being open? I am expecting beaches to be very crowded and probably lines for the cabs if they are operating.

Most of the cab drivers will still be working, they can't afford to miss a ship day. The taxis may be a bit more crowded that day though, and you are certainly right about the beaches!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for doing this first of all! Really appreciate any help to make our cruise great. We ARE beach people. We are looking for a nice beach close to the port with cold beer and some burgers. Hoping for for a sandy Bach instead of rocky. If it's not within walking distance, how far by taxi and roughly how much $? Again, thanks for the info.

Hi there! We are going to be in St. Croix as a group in March, 4 adults, and 6 kids ranging from 6 - 17 yrs old. We are looking for something fun to do with the kids, who love the water. We are open to excursions OR a beach with amenities (food, bar, and maybe even an activity). Just looking for some suggestions as we've only been to St Croix once (adults only previously) and the beach we were at was rocky and probably wouldn't be the best for the kids.

Thanks for doing this first of all! Really appreciate any help to make our cruise great. We ARE beach people. We are looking for a nice beach close to the port with cold beer and some burgers. Hoping for for a sandy Bach instead of rocky. If it's not within walking distance, how far by taxi and roughly how much $? Again, thanks for the info.

I would say Sandcastle is the best fit for you, the burgers are delicious and the beach is lovely. You'll need a taxi and it should cost $5-7 per person.