St. Croix Local

drake2014

Hi there! We are going to be in St. Croix as a group in March, 4 adults, and 6 kids ranging from 6 - 17 yrs old. We are looking for something fun to do with the kids, who love the water. We are open to excursions OR a beach with amenities (food, bar, and maybe even an activity). Just looking for some suggestions as we've only been to St Croix once (adults only previously) and the beach we were at was rocky and probably wouldn't be the best for the kids.

I'm imagining that wrangling that many people on an excursion might be difficult but if you can manage it you should check out Tan Tan Tours Anally Tide Pool tour (http://www.stxtantantours.com/tour_info.html), that is always a great time.

If you would rather relax on the beach with them I would select Freedom City, plenty of activities there to keep everyone happy and busy.

Darrin,

Is it still possible to walk to the cruise pier from Rainbow Beach?

Recent satellite pics look as if much of the beach is gone.:(

Thanks,

Absolutely, you can walk on the beach to the tennis courts and then there's a walking path to the pier.

Sure appreciate all the info. I just need some simple info. Coming in on a cruise next week. We are beach people. Just looking to find a nice sandy beach close to the pier. Must have cold beer, burgers and chairs/umbrellas. It would be nice if some shopping was close too. Am I describing the beach near the pier?? Thanks

Sure appreciate all the info. I just need some simple info. Coming in on a cruise next week. We are beach people. Just looking to find a nice sandy beach close to the pier. Must have cold beer, burgers and chairs/umbrellas. It would be nice if some shopping was close too. Am I describing the beach near the pier?? Thanks

I answered you earlier today, I think Sandcastle is the best fit for you. Scroll up a bit and you'll see the rest of my answer.

• 2 weeks later...
I highly recommend any of the west end beaches. Plus you might run into me that way!

Drake-

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I have been looking for beach/snorkeling reviews for weeks now, and nothing has helped me more than the last hour reading this forum with your input! Our family will be there on April 4, looking forward to a nice day at the beach with some snorkeling, and some good local food. We'll shout out your name when we walk into a bar (Sandcastle? Freedom City?), and if you are there- we owe you a drink! Thanks!

Drake-

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I have been looking for beach/snorkeling reviews for weeks now, and nothing has helped me more than the last hour reading this forum with your input! Our family will be there on April 4, looking forward to a nice day at the beach with some snorkeling, and some good local food. We'll shout out your name when we walk into a bar (Sandcastle? Freedom City?), and if you are there- we owe you a drink! Thanks!

I am so glad to help! Unfortunately April 4th is a Monday so I'll probably be at work but thank you for the offer.

Is there anything I can help with?

I am so glad to help! Unfortunately April 4th is a Monday so I'll probably be at work but thank you for the offer.

Is there anything I can help with?

Drake I got to play some music with an old man on the street. Would you know who he is..I have a picture of him but don't know how to attach it to this post. We will be back there next week and hope to run into him again..

Drake I got to play some music with an old man on the street. Would you know who he is..I have a picture of him but don't know how to attach it to this post. We will be back there next week and hope to run into him again..

Find a way to show me the picture and I'll see if I know him buddy

On a cruise stop early next month, we pretty much figured what to do in most ports but didnt find a lot of options for St. Croix.

1. Any must sees or cant miss while at St. Croix.

2. Any good St. Croix signs by the cruise port or close by.

3. Good local food at a reasonable price.

4. Local tour companies for a quick tour or just go via taxi at port?

If we dont find anything then our options are either going to SandCastle resort beach or Rainbow beach.

Looking for suggestions.

Hi Drake, first off i think its great that you have become the go to info Dude on St Croix. Thank you for doing that. I am visiting in Oct, and was thinking about spending the day at Sand castle. Any insight would be great, Taxi to and from Ect...

Again Thank you.

Brian

On a cruise stop early next month, we pretty much figured what to do in most ports but didnt find a lot of options for St. Croix.

1. Any must sees or cant miss while at St. Croix.

2. Any good St. Croix signs by the cruise port or close by.

3. Good local food at a reasonable price.

4. Local tour companies for a quick tour or just go via taxi at port?

If we dont find anything then our options are either going to SandCastle resort beach or Rainbow beach.

Looking for suggestions.

Check out the beer drinking pigs up at the Domino Club in the rain forest. Take the tour at Cruzan Rum (and catch a good buzz for $8). Head out with Tan Tan Tours or Geckos ATVs into the bush and see the local flora and fauna. Go out to buck island with Big Beards and follow the snorkel trail while fish follow you. Lay on a beach with a fresh coconut filled with rum. The sky is the limit on St. Croix.

For food I like Pier 69 and Rhythms these days.

My buddy Prince does great island tours (340) 642-3811

Hi Drake, first off i think its great that you have become the go to info Dude on St Croix. Thank you for doing that. I am visiting in Oct, and was thinking about spending the day at Sand castle. Any insight would be great, Taxi to and from Ect...

Again Thank you.

Brian

I love Sandcastle, I'm there hanging out most sundays. Taxi from the pier is quick and cheap, figure $10 to be safe. What else would you like to know?

• 1 month later...

Drake

You were kind enough to answer some questions when we came via Carnival Sunshine in December (we hung out at Freedom City and rented some chairs).

We're in the air as I type flying to STT where we'll stay for 2 weeks. Thinking of doing something different and taking a Seaborne seaplane over to STX for a few hours of fun. No shopping, snorkeling is fine, beach/beach bar is good too. Maybe a tour like a tourist :)

Any ideas of something to do other than Freedom City? Last seaplane leaves at 4. Wondering if you know where the seaplanes come in too?

Thanks in advance :)

Drake

You were kind enough to answer some questions when we came via Carnival Sunshine in December (we hung out at Freedom City and rented some chairs).

We're in the air as I type flying to STT where we'll stay for 2 weeks. Thinking of doing something different and taking a Seaborne seaplane over to STX for a few hours of fun. No shopping, snorkeling is fine, beach/beach bar is good too. Maybe a tour like a tourist :)

Any ideas of something to do other than Freedom City? Last seaplane leaves at 4. Wondering if you know where the seaplanes come in too?

Thanks in advance :)

That's an interesting idea! The seaplanes fly into downtown Christiansted harbor, right by the board walk. There's a ton of bars and restaurants right there on the waterfront to check out.

If it were me I would see if you can squeeze in a Buck Island snorkel tour! Call Big Beards (340-773-4482) and see how they can work within your time frame, they sale from the same harbor as the seaplane and should be able to help you.

If you decide to stay dry you can take a tour of the fort and wander around town. Check out the Blue Mutt if you're animal lovers and hit Luncheria for tacos and margaritas.

That's all I've got off the top of my head but hit me up if you need more help!

• 2 weeks later...

Drake, thank you for going the second mile with everyone's questions. I have a new question I don't believe has been asked yet. We'll be spending the day on your island in December this year. First time. Our group likes to check out the local bars and have the specialty drink they are each famous for. Do you recommend a few bars that are MUST SEE worthy while on the island? I know you've mentioned what drinks are popular on the island, but what specific bars have the best of each of those drinks?

• 2 weeks later...
Drake, thank you for going the second mile with everyone's questions. I have a new question I don't believe has been asked yet. We'll be spending the day on your island in December this year. First time. Our group likes to check out the local bars and have the specialty drink they are each famous for. Do you recommend a few bars that are MUST SEE worthy while on the island? I know you've mentioned what drinks are popular on the island, but what specific bars have the best of each of those drinks?

This is a tough one because some of my favorite bars have closed down recently, but I'll do my best!

Mamawanna at the Domino Club in the rainforest

Mojitos at Villa Morales. (They are not open on sunday's so this will depend on your ship)

Lime-in-the-coconut at Rhythms at Rainbow Beach

Cruzan Confusion and Rum Punches at Freedom City

Painkiller at Sandcastle

I think that about covers it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
How much is the taxi to cruzan

Thanks

DRAKE - do you have any updated preferred taxi drivers? I've found some older ones, but not sure if they're still around. My husband & I will be there 12/4/16 with Celebrity & want to go to Cruzan &/or Captain Morgan's distilleries but not with the masses. Is it possible to do both in the same day (prefer Cruzan to CM because it's less commercialized)?

Thanks!

DRAKE - do you have any updated preferred taxi drivers? I've found some older ones, but not sure if they're still around. My husband & I will be there 12/4/16 with Celebrity & want to go to Cruzan &/or Captain Morgan's distilleries but not with the masses. Is it possible to do both in the same day (prefer Cruzan to CM because it's less commercialized)?

Thanks!

My favorite is still Prince, he's just the best. His cell is 340-642-3811 and he has a website now at cecilylawrence.wixsite.com/princetaxisafari

It is certainly possible to hit both distilleries in a day but I would skip Captain Morgan's. It's just not worth the time in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Hey Drake, glad I found this fantastic thread. I'm late getting started on planning stuff for our upcoming cruise, but we will be in St. Croix for the day and I'm trying to plan. Not only are we arriving on Sunday, but Christmas Day to boot. Do you think Sand Castle will be open that day? I understand they have a day pass for cruise passengers, but I tried looking on their website but didn't see anything specific on their website about it.

We're in port only from 8am to 3pm. I'm thinking our only options on that day are likely to be just beaches & bars - not that it's a bad thing...

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Drake, I can't remember if we were at Sandcastle, but some years ago we were at a beach where they brought horses in to the water for either therapy or excersize. Does this sound like Sandcastle? Is there any decent snorkeling off the beach there?

The locals take their horses in at Dorsch Beach. Cruzan Cowgirls does beach rides and tours at Rhythms at Rainbow Beach.

DRAKE - HELP - we will be in St. Croix on 13 Mar 2017 on the Rotterdam and planned on visiting Coconuts Beach Bar and do some snorkeling but see on their Facebook page they closed in October. Has anyone else taken this place over?

We are looking for a place that is easy to get to and do some snorkeling. Coconuts was great.

Any ideas????

Edited by iflyrc5
added date