St. Croix Local

drake2014

A check of their website seems to indicate that they reopened in November after sustaining significant damage to the property during Maria:

http://www.sgvbg.org/

You could easily take a taxi there from the pier as it is about a 10 minute ride. I don't believe they sell food there but you could return to F'sted and enjoy lunch at Polly's on the Pier, Tap Deck, Lost Dog Pub or the new Louie and Nacho's Beach Bar.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like Rainbow or Sandcastles would work but if the beach is in better shape at the Buccaneer it might be work the extra cab ride. Any body have any recent experience at them? How much would the cab ride be?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like the buccaneer just fine but nothing on this island is worth THAT cab ride! Stay west and go to Rainbow!

• 2 weeks later...
Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

Hello Darrin

Any local place near the port to get local cigars for a good price?

Thanks

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Darrin

Any local place near the port to get local cigars for a good price?

Thanks

Bill

Not close to the pier, unfortunately. Although you will find cigarillos at all the corner stores in town. If you want good cigars you'll have to take the taxi to Christiansted and go to Baci or Steele's, they have the best.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 7:38 PM, LuckyGecko said:

Will be renting a car for weeks stay, but would like to  be shown the island highlights the first day with a private tour.  Any recommendations to get a guide to show us all the island has to offer for a day?

I'm sorry but I don't know anyone for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 12:20 PM, camofwilliamsburg said:

Do you know anything about gecko island adventures? Is it worth the price for the tour? We are just looking at the atv tour.  Will be on a cruise ship and we are in port only from 9-5.

Absolutely! The ATV tour is a blast, there's no better way to see the rainforest.

• 2 months later...

Drake,

Thanks so much for sharing information about your home.  We will be on island in November of this year.  We have a general plan of what we want to do but I would like to run it by you first.  

We rented a car because we are scuba divers and will have our gear with us.  We plan to drive up to Cane Bay to dive the wall.  How long is the drive from the pier to Cane Bay? 

I was estimating that it would take around 1 hour to get there. Don't worry we are accustomed to driving on the left from our travels.  Should we stop at the Domino Club on the way to Cane Bay and see the pigs? 

Our dive should take around 2 hours.  We plan to grab some food after diving.  Should we eat there at Cane Bay or take the time to drive to La Reine Chicken Shack?   

My husband would like to go to Point Udall if possible to say he has been to the eastern most point of the US.  We have already checked off the the Northern most point of US.  If you think it is possible, how long is the drive out there and back to the pier?  

The only other thing we might want to do is have a taste of some of the Cruzan Rum time permitting (close to the pier) after the rental car has been returned. 

We are only in port from 8am to 5pm.  The hubby thinks we will be able to do all of the things on our list.  I don't think it is possible.  I told him we might be able to see pigs, dive, eat, and then sample rum.  I don't think we will have enough time to see Point Udall.  What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time. 

With warmest regards,

Tricee

Since you haven't heard from Drake/Darrin, I'll offer some thoughts.  We spend the winter on St. Croix and have been vacationing there since 1998.

Here's what I'd do:

8:30 a.m.  Pick up rental car

9:00 a.m.  Drive through the rainforest but don't spend time stopping to see the pigs.  

9:30 to 11:30 a.m.  Dive the wall at Cane Bay

12 noon Depart Cane Bay area.  Or you could eat at Eat at Cane Bay. The Chicken Shack isn' t "all that" in our opinion...and it's a bit out of your way.  Drive into C'sted.  Maybe grab a quick bite at Cafe Christine or Rumrunners or Shupe's on the boardwalk.  Or drive through C'sted so that you can see the Danish architecture and the pretty harbor and stop just outside town (at the Bypass intersection with Hospital Road) and pick up some Killer Tacos from this famous truck

1:30  p.m.  Drive out the East End Road to Point Udall.  There are many beautiful views of Buck Island and the area as you drive.  Will take you 30 minutes to get to Udall from town.  Spend 15 minutes at Udall.

2:15 p.m  Start driving back to F'sted along the gorgeous and undeveloped South Shore Road eventually connecting with the highway (DEFINITELY get a map from the rental car company).  You will be back in F'sted in 45 minutes if you don't stop.

3:30 p.m.  Grab some rum drinks at Tap Deck Bar or Louie and Nachos.  You'll be close enough to the pier to be walking back onboard by 4:30

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, lovestx said:

Since you haven't heard from Drake/Darrin, I'll offer some thoughts.  We spend the winter on St. Croix and have been vacationing there since 1998.

Here's what I'd do:

8:30 a.m.  Pick up rental car

9:00 a.m.  Drive through the rainforest but don't spend time stopping to see the pigs.  

9:30 to 11:30 a.m.  Dive the wall at Cane Bay

12 noon Depart Cane Bay area.  Or you could eat at Eat at Cane Bay. The Chicken Shack isn' t "all that" in our opinion...and it's a bit out of your way.  Drive into C'sted.  Maybe grab a quick bite at Cafe Christine or Rumrunners or Shupe's on the boardwalk.  Or drive through C'sted so that you can see the Danish architecture and the pretty harbor and stop just outside town (at the Bypass intersection with Hospital Road) and pick up some Killer Tacos from this famous truck

1:30  p.m.  Drive out the East End Road to Point Udall.  There are many beautiful views of Buck Island and the area as you drive.  Will take you 30 minutes to get to Udall from town.  Spend 15 minutes at Udall.

2:15 p.m  Start driving back to F'sted along the gorgeous and undeveloped South Shore Road eventually connecting with the highway (DEFINITELY get a map from the rental car company).  You will be back in F'sted in 45 minutes if you don't stop.

3:30 p.m.  Grab some rum drinks at Tap Deck Bar or Louie and Nachos.  You'll be close enough to the pier to be walking back onboard by 4:30

Thanks so much for your input.  It really helps when you have the opinion of someone who either lives or visits there often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, ewespinme said:

Any tour recommendations for families? I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old and a husband who doesn’t like to spend a whole day at the beach. Day stop on 12/4. Thanks! 

Would be looking for the same kind of tour if anyone has any suggestions.. Would love to take a nice island tour and see what it is really like there.

1 hour ago, Irish13 said:

Would be looking for the same kind of tour if anyone has any suggestions.. Would love to take a nice island tour and see what it is really like there.

We ended up booking with Sweeny’s Tours, it is a half day tour and we will probably hit the beach after. The other thing that came highly recommended was Big Beard’s catamaran but we had already booked a catamaran for our next day and didn’t want to do it two days in a row without knowing how well the kids would handle it.  

If you google the company name and st Croix you will find them - I don’t recall the “link posting” rules here. 

Edited by ewespinme

9 hours ago, ewespinme said:

We ended up booking with Sweeny’s Tours, it is a half day tour and we will probably hit the beach after. The other thing that came highly recommended was Big Beard’s catamaran but we had already booked a catamaran for our next day and didn’t want to do it two days in a row without knowing how well the kids would handle it.  

If you google the company name and st Croix you will find them - I don’t recall the “link posting” rules here. 

When do you take your trip ? Curious as to how your tour is with kids I could pass on the Rum Factory... We are leaving in November 

1 hour ago, Irish13 said:

When do you take your trip ? Curious as to how your tour is with kids I could pass on the Rum Factory... We are leaving in November 

Sorry we are December. But you can email him. stcroixsafaritours at gmail dot com

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2019 at 7:14 AM, willow surfside said:

Do you mind telling me the price you got for your tour and how long...thanks

I have emailed Sweeney Tours twice now with no response... Not sure why .. But our cruise is coming up so I need to figure out another plan.

• 3 weeks later...

Irish13 - you can call Sweeney’s (it’s just a normal long distance call-or free on cell phone- since it’s considered states) and he answers or gets back to you quick. I called today and he got back to me within 10 minutes. Unfortunately for me as we will be there Nov 5th and so far only 2 of us booked and they won’t run tour unless total 10 people. Still keeping fingers crossed(oh I’ll be there nov 5th)

• 3 months later...

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't look through 14 pages!  Is there still a shuttle from the pier to Christiansted on a weekday.  I see you can walk out and the $16 booth is there but we need to be in Christiansted by 11 am and someone wrote that the first one leaves at 11.30 so updated information would be great.  Thanks.

Edited by hopeless holiday booker

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 3:32 PM, TomAndJane said:

I think it was called the Freedom City Surf Bar and Shop or something like that.

Thanks again,

Tom

Freedom City Surf (aka Teres Veho) was destroyed by Maria and then burned when the power came back. Owners left island and it sits abandoned now. Most likely will never be allowed to be rebuild due to zoning.

Cheers.