St. Croix Local

drake2014

On 1/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, hopeless holiday booker said:

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't look through 14 pages!  Is there still a shuttle from the pier to Christiansted on a weekday.  I see you can walk out and the $16 booth is there but we need to be in Christiansted by 11 am and someone wrote that the first one leaves at 11.30 so updated information would be great.  Thanks.

Haven't seen it lately but there's a ship in port today so I'll take a look when I go to lunch and let you know what I find.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Hey Drake ! Thanks for stopping by.

Sorry to hear about Freedom City, I know that was one of your personal favs. 

Honestly I got a little frustrated with answering the same 5 questions over and over so I took a step back. I saw the ship in port today and thought I would take a look. There's a few interesting questions this time around so maybe I'll stay active for a bit.

Good to see you Eaton!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Are you still monitoring this thread? If so, I was wondering how far the sunshine mall is from the cruise port and if it’s in an ok area and easy to get to. A few years back my daughter in law painted a mural there and we wanted to see it when we’re there?

• 9 months later...

I see that it's been before Covid since much information has been posted here, and am not sure what is open, running, and in good shape.  

I had planned on taking a cab to Sand Castle Resort, but see that it is now $40 per person, which is a little much for a small beach and a couple of older lounge chairs, so I wondered if there was something a bit nicer (or more affordable) that you recommend.  

We need a restaurant, shade, beach, maybe some snorkeling, and probably only for a few hours.  Would love your recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...

Having difficult time (too) finding good information on St Croix.  Not much being posted here or even on other websites.  Postings seem quite dated too when can find, so not putting much into those.   

We are looking for nice beach area.  Have been to Rainbow Beach on prior cruise.  It was okay.  Very crowded and full of loud people.  Think popular as it may be one of few if any places that rent beach chairs.  Would like to try other area, without venturing too far across the island.  We were considering Sand Castle on the Beach, but $40pp seems pricey.   I did just stumble upon a day pass at The Fred which is more reasonable.  It's a bit further down beach.   We were really interested in Sandy Point Nat'l Wildlife Refuge (turtle sanctuary) but it seems to only be open weekends and we'll be in port on a Friday.   Thinking of heading as far south as can get, then walking along beach there (is possible).    Area called West Beach.  Have read the beach is nice, but also read about cars getting broken into.  Bit concerned about it being remote, and possibly unsafe.  Anyone know?   There's also a Frederisked Pool which seems to be closed, closer to Sandy Point, so thinking maybe taxi there, walk around, then start heading back on foot towards the pier, stopping at The Fred for drinks, then taxi back to port or keep walking.    Anyone have experience in this area???

• 1 month later...

Here are your options with chair rentals:

Rainbow Beach

Sandcastle on the Beach - $40 day pass includes a chaise lounge, pool access, small table and an umbrella shared between two people.  Sometimes they have beach service for food and drink.  If not, good food can be ordered To Go from the bar.

The Fred - not much of a beach there but convenient.  Haven’t been in two years so don’t know how it’s faring.

Beach just north of the cruise ship pier - on cruise ship days there are chair rentals and probably food vendors.  Restrooms have been recently restored but I’ve never been in one.

• 2 months later...

We will be in St Croix in August. We would like to visit both Leatherback brewery as well as the Captain Morgan distillery. Was looking on info about renting a taxi for the day to take our group.of 6 to these 2 locations. Would this be doable and if so would you know the rates at this time? Thank you..

14 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

We will be in St Croix in August. We would like to visit both Leatherback brewery as well as the Captain Morgan distillery. Was looking on info about renting a taxi for the day to take our group.of 6 to these 2 locations. Would this be doable and if so would you know the rates at this time? Thank you..

Are you coming in on cruise ship?  Usually they aren't in St. Croix during hurricane season but perhaps this year is different.

I would think that you could find a taxi van (almost all STX taxis are vans) at the foot of the pier and could arrange for him to take you to both places (which are only a few miles a part and both on the Melvin Evans Highway).  Here are the rates I found:

https://www.*****/stcroix/getting_around_stx/taxis-rates/

56 minutes ago, lovestx said:

Are you coming in on cruise ship?  Usually they aren't in St. Croix during hurricane season but perhaps this year is different.

I would think that you could find a taxi van (almost all STX taxis are vans) at the foot of the pier and could arrange for him to take you to both places (which are only a few miles a part and both on the Melvin Evans Highway).  Here are the rates I found:

https://www.*****/stcroix/getting_around_stx/taxis-rates/

Yes we are arriving on  a cruise ship on Aug. 15th. At least as of right now that is. We shall see how this hurricane season goes. Thanks for the information. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am also coming in august 15th on adventure of the seas can you share any info you might have on  the annaly pools? can it be done from pier? I satrted a post but no one seems to have any info.Thank you.

The Annaly Bay Tidal Pools, while beautiful and unique, should not be visited without forethought and caution.  If the water is rough, you could put yourself in grave danger as you try to climb up and over the jagged rock face to access the pools.  Add that to the fact that there is very little cell service out there so it could be hard to get help if you need.

With that said, I'd suggest you try to see if Tan Tan Tours would offer a tour to the Pools.  They are the only tour company that I know actually goes out there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 7:58 PM, sds said:

I am also coming in august 15th on adventure of the seas can you share any info you might have on  the annaly pools? can it be done from pier? I satrted a post but no one seems to have any info.Thank you.

My husband and I were going to do this when staying on St. Croix because we were going to try it at low tide.  I would not do this when here from cruise port.  What we did when here on a cruise stop was rented a car at airport and drove around St. Croix.  It is such a beautiful place and our favorite of the USVI.  We are snorkel fans as well as hikers so we found some activities to fill the day. 

On 6/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, lovestx said:

The Annaly Bay Tidal Pools, while beautiful and unique, should not be visited without forethought and caution.  If the water is rough, you could put yourself in grave danger as you try to climb up and over the jagged rock face to access the pools.  Add that to the fact that there is very little cell service out there so it could be hard to get help if you need.

With that said, I'd suggest you try to see if Tan Tan Tours would offer a tour to the Pools.  They are the only tour company that I know actually goes out there.

I agree.  This is not something to do on your own.

• 2 months later...

Ok so here is the follow up. I had car deliver to Port no need to go to airport its pretty much a waste of money just set it up with car rental agency. The anally pools were easy to get to just drive to cambria go towards guard tower they will show you where the path is I parked and made my way there so don't let the naysayers say it can't be done...it can. Just use common sense. That being said I was also able to get to point Udall which does have a very nice view but quite honestly not much going on there they took all the lettering off stating it was the Eastern most point of the USA so that was disappointing. The array is in some random area while you are making your way to point Udall again nothing there just a fenced area and the array pretty cool to see but not something I would go out of my way for. The beaches were nice I was able to stop on the road a couple of time to check them out I also was able to hit Rainbow Beach at the end of the day again a standard beach. Christestead boardwalk was basically closed as this is the off season so don't waste your time Goin unless in season parking in the lot was 1 dollar and hour but since I wasn't a local I paid 2 lol. All in all a nice place but as far as USVI goes St Thomas hands down has more going on. Also for those who are wondering verizon phone service was in network so I had cell service the whole time. Best of luck to all that go at least this info is current for 2023.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been to Paradise Beach?  I just googled it and it seems like it's near the port.  I would like to snorkel, if anyone knows of a beach near the port.  

Edited by moposh

I’ve never heard of Paradise Beach. Perhaps it’s the nice beach that is adjacent to FortFederik if so, it’s a nice beach with bathrooms and couldn’t be closer to the port.  Doubt there is great snorkeling there. Better snorkeling in Frederiksted can be found at Sandcastles resort. Hubby was there the other day and saw a Ray and two turtles.