St. Croix Local

drake2014

I give up on Safari tours. I just got a text this morning saying they can't confirm my reservation, but I should call back on January 25 th. My guess is they are waiting to see if they can book a larger group and don't want to be bothered with just two. Whatever their reason, I don't want to wait unti the last minute, so I will go with a ship tour. At least I know it will be reliable.

That's a shame but I completely understand. What is the ship tour?

the point: re St. Croix ... I emailed Sweeny's Safari Tours. It took about 2 weeks to get a reply and less than a day for a confirmation when I booked. We sail this weekend.

the point: re Grenada... Do I have more info? You came to the right place. I posted all of my excursions online at http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html. It's got all of our first-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

Here's the Grenada review...

St. Georges, Grenada

We arranged for a 4-hour half-day "Spice Plantation Route" tour with Mandoo Tours, currently $60 per person, plus tips (as of January 2015). It ran from 8am to noon plus beach time. The spice plantation route is going to give you a great feel of the island. We visited the Douglaston Spice Depot where we saw a presentation on many of Grenada's spices, and where fresh quality spices were available for purchase. We drove through the lush volcanic mountains to where multiple spice plants, cocoa and bananas plantations were pointed out to us. Great photo shots. We visited Grand Etang Crater Lake where we saw our first Mona monkey. We drove through the rain forest and made a stop at Annandale Waterfall. At the end of the tour we were given time at the beach and then returned to the ship. We had lunch on the ship and then walked to Fort George, very close to the ship. We exited the pier terminal and turned right. There is a stairwell to the right of a tunnel. Just keep climbing until you get to the top. It's about a 15 minute walk up stone stairs and ramps. This might have been an awesome fort at one time. It has fallen into disrepair and is being used for multiple other purposes. Really too bad. However Fort George will give you lots of photo opportunities from its elevated point. Recommended! [Note that folks who went on the all-day tour were generally not as happy. Apparently 4-hour tours are plenty].

On our second trip we hoped to take it easy on Grand Anse Beach, a non-snorkeling 2-mile crescent stretch of sand not too far from the ship. Most folks take a water taxi to Grand Anse Beach for about $6 per person each way. The water taxi is about 1/2-block to the left of the ship (as you face the island). We opted to take a local bus ($1 US). The bus depot can also been seen from the ship. Just look for the 2-deck parking garage with a hundred mini-vans another half block from the water taxi dock. It's easy to catch a water taxi or bus in either direction to and from the cruise pier. If you take the bus, you want the Zone #1 bus to Grand Anse (and back to St. George). It's clearly written on the windshield. The bus holds about 14 passengers and the driver (working with a conductor) will work to keep it as full as possible throughout the trip. You will not save time taking the bus. You take it because you want to get a better flavor of the island and it's residents.

If you take the water taxi, upon arrival you'll get swamped with offers for chairs and umbrellas (among other things). I suggest you walk away from the dock, past the spice market, and settle in an area away from the heavier crowds. If you arrive by bus, get off at the Spiceland Mall, cross the street and walk 1 block down a driveway where you'll find yourself at a great beach bar and grill called Umbrellas. It's an airy, clean, comfortable restaurant with great food. Don't panic when you read the menu. The prices are in Eastern Caribbean Dollars and $1 USD = $2.70 ECD. We enjoyed their grilled barracuda (two thick nicely grilled mild flaky white filets) with a side of "rocket and potato salad". Rocket is a non-bitter local leafy vegetable. Lunch was awesome. We also ordered a locally bottled ginger ale and a bottle of their local Carib Lager. There was plenty of food for two to share. With tip, the total was $58 ECD (about $22 USD). Upon exiting Umbrellas, you'll find yourself on the less crowded section of the beach (3/4 down the beach from the water taxi dock). When your beach day is done, reserve your steps and take either the bus or water taxi back to the ship.

The skies were cloudy and it rained most of the day (sometimes torrentially). I estimate that there were no more than two dozen folks from the ship on the beach, and they outnumbered everyone else, except the vendors at the spice market. We had a great adventure despite the lack of an intended sunny beach day.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

I have heard that The Whim Museum is closed on Sundays.. are there other historical sites that close down on Sundays. We will be coming in a Jewel of the Seas on a sunday.. I am hoping to do the Walking tour of with CHANT.. we like history. Would you recommend a lunch spot in walkable distance? And thanks so much for being willing to help out, it really is wonderful.

I have heard that The Whim Museum is closed on Sundays.. are there other historical sites that close down on Sundays. We will be coming in a Jewel of the Seas on a sunday.. I am hoping to do the Walking tour of with CHANT.. we like history. Would you recommend a lunch spot in walkable distance? And thanks so much for being willing to help out, it really is wonderful.

I will call Whim tomorrow and double check for you but last I heard they are still closed on Sundays. I'm a huge history buff myself and I'm sure you will love CHANT. Let me know what date you're coming in on and I will have more specific stuff for you. For lunch on a Sunday you have to hit Pier 69 in strand square! Amazing food and drinks right near the ship.

I will call Whim tomorrow and double check for you but last I heard they are still closed on Sundays. I'm a huge history buff myself and I'm sure you will love CHANT. Let me know what date you're coming in on and I will have more specific stuff for you. For lunch on a Sunday you have to hit Pier 69 in strand square! Amazing food and drinks right near the ship.

We will be there on April 12.. I am double hitting you for information, on this and another thread.. thanks again.

Thanks for the extra effort in confirming that...I guess we will have to return another time :)

If at all possible try to come in on a Saturday! On this island Sundays are really a day of rest, if your income is not directly tied to the tourists you spend the day on the beach. Therefor if you really want to experience all of the things that I get to experience you need to be here Saturday afternoon. :)

If at all possible try to come in on a Saturday! On this island Sundays are really a day of rest, if your income is not directly tied to the tourists you spend the day on the beach. Therefor if you really want to experience all of the things that I get to experience you need to be here Saturday afternoon. :)

We are docking on a Saturday and in all our research, haven't found anything that interests us on St. Croix. I'm so glad you're a local and can give some ideas. What is there are St. Croix that we don't want to miss? We are not beach people or snorkelers. We do not drink, so the rum factory is of no interest. Is there anything besides shopping that you would recommend? Any interesting historical landmarks or natural wonders? Thanks in advance.

We are docking on a Saturday and in all our research, haven't found anything that interests us on St. Croix. I'm so glad you're a local and can give some ideas. What is there are St. Croix that we don't want to miss? We are not beach people or snorkelers. We do not drink, so the rum factory is of no interest. Is there anything besides shopping that you would recommend? Any interesting historical landmarks or natural wonders? Thanks in advance.

Absolutely!! CHANT walking tours in Frederiksted and Christiansted, the Botanical Gardens, Whim Museum, the Lawaetz Family Museum, the Heritage Trail, and Point Udall just to name a few. The Domino Club up in the rain forest is always a good time with the beer drinking pigs. Gecko's ATV tours through the bush is fun, as is stand-up-paddle at Freedom City, or jetskis at Rainbow Beach. Live music at several different bars around the west end will keep you entertained along with great food. Tell me what you like and I can give you more info!

Thanks for asking!! :)

Haha thank you very much! My friends and I often joke about the unprepared tourists that come through so I thought I would help.

Frederiksted is my home and I hope you get to spend some time here, west is best after all! I have posted quite a bit about my favorite beaches and restaurants but here's the condensed version for you: when you get to town follow king street north past the pier and out past the carnival grounds. You'll see the baseball fields on your right and Freedom City Surf on your left. GO TO FREEDOM CITY. Say hi to Pi (the owner) in the shop on your left and maybe get a t-shirt, then go to the bar. Get a rum punch from Erica and some shrimp tacos. Relax on the patio or the beach until it's time to leave. An easy 10 minute walk up the beach will put you back on the ship.

Enjoy! [emoji2]

I was wondering if you might know how much they charge for lessons on the paddle boarding? You have been so hopefully with the information you have provided on the island.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I was wondering if you might know how much they charge for lessons on the paddle boarding? You have been so hopefully with the information you have provided on the island.

Last I heard it was $25 per person for a lesson and I think you get an hour on the board. I'm going there for dinner tomorrow so I'll double check for you.

Drake 2014: I was wondering if you could share some information regarding the restaurant with the drinking pigs. How far is it from the pier? Is it worth taking a taxi there---anything else to see? How much would a taxi cost (per person or per taxi)? Right now we're just planning a beach day but I like seeing unusual things :) Also, any thoughts about Coconuts Beach? Thank you so much for taking time to help us cruisers!

Drake 2014: I was wondering if you could share some information regarding the restaurant with the drinking pigs. How far is it from the pier? Is it worth taking a taxi there---anything else to see? How much would a taxi cost (per person or per taxi)? Right now we're just planning a beach day but I like seeing unusual things :) Also, any thoughts about Coconuts Beach? Thank you so much for taking time to help us cruisers!

Sure, the Domino Club is always a great time and something everyone should see at least once. It's a bit of a drive from town but it's a beautiful winding rain-forest road with breathtaking views so it won't feel long. A taxi from the pier to the club should run about $15ish for 1-2 people. If you have more people there's an additional charge, usually $5-7 per person. Really it's not that expensive for the fun you'll have! Norma is always a delight and she makes the best Mamawanna shots on the island (be careful with those!!), plus the food is outstanding!! If you get there before 10am on a saturday you'll find the best breakfast around.

Coconuts is a decent beach although definitely not at the top of my list. Pretty good food and drinks, not much to see snorkling, and the beach is a little rough for my taste. That being said it's not usually very crowded if you want peace and quiet. :)

Hi Drake!

I see Caribbean Sea Adventures provides a Sunday Shuttle to Buck Island without snorkeling, with departure at 10am from Christiansted pier.

Do you know if this shuttle is a service reserved only for St. Croix locals or if everyone can use it?

Thank you!

Hi Drake!

I see Caribbean Sea Adventures provides a Sunday Shuttle to Buck Island without snorkeling, with departure at 10am from Christiansted pier.

Do you know if this shuttle is a service reserved only for St. Croix locals or if everyone can use it?

Thank you!

I have to admit I knew nothing about it until just now! I think I might have to do that myself sometime soon! :) From what I can see on their website I think it's open to everyone but I strongly suggest you call them to find out.

I'd like to think I know everything that happens on my little rock but truth be told I go to Buck Island once a year and I always use Big Beard's tour. Plus I avoid Christiansted and all points east like the plague lol.

Thanks for the question!

Edited by drake2014

Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

Hi Darrin, thanks ahead of time for any info. We have never been to St Croix before, it will be our 5th island so we will have done a couple of beach days and a couple of island tours. What is something that is a "must see" for St Croix. we will have already snorkeled...have already done some historic tours, so we are looking for suggestions. Thanks again.

Hi Darrin, thanks ahead of time for any info. We have never been to St Croix before, it will be our 5th island so we will have done a couple of beach days and a couple of island tours. What is something that is a "must see" for St Croix. we will have already snorkeled...have already done some historic tours, so we are looking for suggestions. Thanks again.

We are kinda in the same situation as Sue....wondering what else is there that we should do? Thanks for any ideas....

Wendy

Groveland,FL

Well there is always lots to do! The Botanical Gardens and the Whim Museum are great if you enjoy beautiful history. I just wrote a post about the Domino Club and that's definitely a must see up in the rain forest. Stand-up-paddle at Freedom City is amazing if you've never tried. I personally think some of the best food in the world is on the west end of St. Croix, Villa Morales and Pier 69 are my favorites.

I hope this gives you some ideas!

Well there is always lots to do! The Botanical Gardens and the Whim Museum are great if you enjoy beautiful history. I just wrote a post about the Domino Club and that's definitely a must see up in the rain forest. Stand-up-paddle at Freedom City is amazing if you've never tried. I personally think some of the best food in the world is on the west end of St. Croix, Villa Morales and Pier 69 are my favorites.

I hope this gives you some ideas!

How far is Pier 69 from where the ship docks? Do you feel it is safe for a lady to walk around Frederiksted by herself? My DH will be scuba diving until about 1:00--would like something to do for a couple of hours.

Edited by 2PinaColadas

How far is Pier 69 from where the ship docks? Do you feel it is safe for a lady to walk around Frederiksted by herself? My DH will be scuba diving until about 1:00--would like something to do for a couple of hours.

59d8484572cba8498797140666a92eb0.jpg

I made a picture to show you, I hope it's clear enough! Frederiksted during the day is one of the safest places around, you should have no trouble. Check out the fort and the parks or just lay on the beach, plenty to see down here! What day are you coming in?

Edited by drake2014

Since I just got home from my first ever paddle board session I can happily tell you that the rental was $30 per hour including the lesson. The cool part is that after your hour as long as nobody is waiting for your board you can keep going! Just check in every hour and you're good. [emoji2]

59d8484572cba8498797140666a92eb0.jpg

I made a picture to show you, I hope it's clear enough! Frederiksted during the day is one of the safest places around, you should have no trouble. Check out the fort and the parks or just lay on the beach, plenty to see down here! What day are you coming in?

Thanks-- that was very helpful. We will be in March 23rd--it's a Monday. My DH is diving with N2theBlue. I love taking pictures-- may go over to the fort then head over to Pier 69 for a foo foo drink.:D Thanks again.

Edited by 2PinaColadas