St. Croix Local

drake2014

We have had 6 days of solid cruise ships full of people having a great time. Just thought I would check back in here and see if anyone had more questions for me, I figured some of you might be on these ships! :)

Drake2014

Thanks for taking time to educate us. We will be docking in Frederiksted and want to go see the rum factory and send a little time downtown. Are we best to just get a taxi on our own and go on a tour. About what is the cost of a taxi for 2 to the Cruzen Rum factory? Also are there any beach within walking distance from the pier?

Drake2014

Thanks for taking time to educate us. We will be docking in Frederiksted and want to go see the rum factory and send a little time downtown. Are we best to just get a taxi on our own and go on a tour. About what is the cost of a taxi for 2 to the Cruzen Rum factory? Also are there any beach within walking distance from the pier?

Absolutely, there will be dozens of taxi vans lined up at the pier willing to take you. It should cost about $17 for 2 people to get to Cruzan but try to find a group going and you'll get a better deal.

When you come off the ship go left and you'll hit Fort Frederik beach, keep walking and you'll hit Freedom City Surf. That's my favorite beach, grab a drink and relax. [emoji2]

Drake do you know of a tour for a person who loves picture taking? Also any crafter in St Croix like Potters or Glass blowers?

:)

There are no tours that really focus on photography but the CHANT walking tour of downtown Frederiksted will give you lots of lovely architecture to shoot. Then walk along the beach to get the usual beautiful caribbean shots. :)

As far as crafters there isn't anything I know of thats available for people to watch. I'll check more into that for you though!

the point: re St. Croix ... I emailed Sweeny's Safari Tours. It took about 2 weeks to get a reply and less than a day for a confirmation when I booked. We sail this weekend.

the point: re Grenada... Do I have more info? You came to the right place. I posted all of my excursions online at http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html. It's got all of our first-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

Here's the Grenada review...

St. Georges, Grenada

We arranged for a 4-hour half-day "Spice Plantation Route" tour with Mandoo Tours, currently $60 per person, plus tips (as of January 2015). It ran from 8am to noon plus beach time. The spice plantation route is going to give you a great feel of the island. We visited the Douglaston Spice Depot where we saw a presentation on many of Grenada's spices, and where fresh quality spices were available for purchase. We drove through the lush volcanic mountains to where multiple spice plants, cocoa and bananas plantations were pointed out to us. Great photo shots. We visited Grand Etang Crater Lake where we saw our first Mona monkey. We drove through the rain forest and made a stop at Annandale Waterfall. At the end of the tour we were given time at the beach and then returned to the ship. We had lunch on the ship and then walked to Fort George, very close to the ship. We exited the pier terminal and turned right. There is a stairwell to the right of a tunnel. Just keep climbing until you get to the top. It's about a 15 minute walk up stone stairs and ramps. This might have been an awesome fort at one time. It has fallen into disrepair and is being used for multiple other purposes. Really too bad. However Fort George will give you lots of photo opportunities from its elevated point. Recommended! [Note that folks who went on the all-day tour were generally not as happy. Apparently 4-hour tours are plenty].

On our second trip we hoped to take it easy on Grand Anse Beach, a non-snorkeling 2-mile crescent stretch of sand not too far from the ship. Most folks take a water taxi to Grand Anse Beach for about $6 per person each way. The water taxi is about 1/2-block to the left of the ship (as you face the island). We opted to take a local bus ($1 US). The bus depot can also been seen from the ship. Just look for the 2-deck parking garage with a hundred mini-vans another half block from the water taxi dock. It's easy to catch a water taxi or bus in either direction to and from the cruise pier. If you take the bus, you want the Zone #1 bus to Grand Anse (and back to St. George). It's clearly written on the windshield. The bus holds about 14 passengers and the driver (working with a conductor) will work to keep it as full as possible throughout the trip. You will not save time taking the bus. You take it because you want to get a better flavor of the island and it's residents.

If you take the water taxi, upon arrival you'll get swamped with offers for chairs and umbrellas (among other things). I suggest you walk away from the dock, past the spice market, and settle in an area away from the heavier crowds. If you arrive by bus, get off at the Spiceland Mall, cross the street and walk 1 block down a driveway where you'll find yourself at a great beach bar and grill called Umbrellas. It's an airy, clean, comfortable restaurant with great food. Don't panic when you read the menu. The prices are in Eastern Caribbean Dollars and $1 USD = $2.70 ECD. We enjoyed their grilled barracuda (two thick nicely grilled mild flaky white filets) with a side of "rocket and potato salad". Rocket is a non-bitter local leafy vegetable. Lunch was awesome. We also ordered a locally bottled ginger ale and a bottle of their local Carib Lager. There was plenty of food for two to share. With tip, the total was $58 ECD (about $22 USD). Upon exiting Umbrellas, you'll find yourself on the less crowded section of the beach (3/4 down the beach from the water taxi dock). When your beach day is done, reserve your steps and take either the bus or water taxi back to the ship.

The skies were cloudy and it rained most of the day (sometimes torrentially). I estimate that there were no more than two dozen folks from the ship on the beach, and they outnumbered everyone else, except the vendors at the spice market. We had a great adventure despite the lack of an intended sunny beach day.

Caribbeanbound: Thanks for the great info on Grande Anse..we plan to maybe go there on our Nov Adventure of The Seas cruise..question- you said if you take the water taxi to Grand Anse, to go by the people offering the chairs & umbrellas..BUT, can you get those things AFTER you pass the Spice market? Is there a place to eat right on the beach, or do we have to walk to say, Umbrellas restaurant?..Thanks!

Big Al

This is a working glass studio.

http://www.mitchelllarsenstudio.com

Some of the jewelry stores make their own jewelry, but not sure if they do it onsite. In Designs. Sonja Ltd. May be a few others.

I get the sense that Ms411 has spent more time at the east end of my island than I have!

Work is flying me to your neck of the woods in March, might have to start asking you questions. :)

Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

Hi Darrin.

I was wondering what you thought about Harvey's in Christiansted versus La Reine Chicken Shack in Kingshill? Thanks!

Otis

what are your thoughts on Davis Bay Beach? We're just looking for a great beach, maybe some waves in the water, a couple of beach chairs and a place for lunch. Thanks for your help!

Davis Bay is on the north shore, that means rougher waves than the west end beaches and rocks once you get past the sand. It also means you're going to have to take a taxi to get there which is going to cost about $30 for 2 people, and another $30 to get back. Carambola resort is on that beach so you will be well sorted for umbrellas and chairs and a decent restaurant.

I don't see the point in spending that much money to go to a beach when you can walk to 3 amazing beaches from the ship.

Wondering if the National Monument is still a great snorkeling experience? Loved it years ago but have read mixed reviews lately. Coming in by ship so that would limit who we can use. Would love to hear you opinions and advice.

Thanks so much!

If you've done it in the past I would say skip it this time. It's still an amazing place but it's not going to be like you remember it. Give it a couple more years to rebuild and then try it again. :)

Especially not for $200 like you mentioned the other day. It's not worth that.

Edited by drake2014

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Drake for all the information. We have always enjoyed the island.. Feel as safe walking there as we do in the U.S.:rolleyes: Just kidding I do know you are part of the U.S.

How far is it to Kingshill for some chicken?

Thank you Drake for all the information. We have always enjoyed the island.. Feel as safe walking there as we do in the U.S.:rolleyes: Just kidding I do know you are part of the U.S.

How far is it to Kingshill for some chicken?

Crap I was just up that way today, I should have checked the milage. I think it's about 10 miles from the pier, figure 15 minutes by taxi.

Thank you. He also just replied to my email from a few days ago. We too have booked this tour. It's a very good deal, especially when you consider taxi fare to the Cruzan Rum Tour alone is $20pp roundtrip. This is $40pp you get a 4-hour tour which includes Cruzan.

Absolutely, there will be dozens of taxi vans lined up at the pier willing to take you. It should cost about $17 for 2 people to get to Cruzan but try to find a group going and you'll get a better deal.

When you come off the ship go left and you'll hit Fort Frederik beach, keep walking and you'll hit Freedom City Surf. That's my favorite beach, grab a drink and relax. [emoji2]

Thanks for the info on the taxi to cruzan rum factory. We are a group of 7 that will be coming to St. Croix for the second time. The first time we snorkeled Buck island, tour thru Royal, so just bused straight there and straight back. Didn't have the chance to see much of the island.

This time we were planning to just play the day by ear. Will be there March 28th. Will there be a taxi that will hold 7 people? price to get to Cruzan?? And is it one way or round trip??

Where else should we stop, just for a short time?? Will have a few elderly with us that will only want to do a couple hours.

And according to everything else you have told us, it sounds like when we come back from Cruzan, we can let the elderly head back to ship and the rest of us, just walk to the beach. Explain what Freedom City Surf is?? Just the name of a beach??