Honolulu Bus System

Killian

I am having a hard time deciding if we should rent a car or take the bus in Honolulu. I have read that the city has a great bus system and is highly recommended especially since traffic and parking can be a real problem. But since we will be docked in Honolulu on a Sunday would it be better to rent a car? Are the traffic problems more of a weekday occurrence?

We just returned from Honolulu and found that heavy traffic is not limited to weekdays. We found that weekends are just as bad. We took a taxi from HHV to the pier and it cost us $17.00.

You didn't mention where you wanted to go in Honolulu and how long you will be staying. If you have a few days and want to see more of the island, I would recommend that you rent a car. Car rental rates are very reasonable and there's so much to see. National Rent a car will pick up from the pier and bring you to their Ala Moana office, you can also return the car to the airport at no extra charge.

Thanks for the information! We will be there almost a full two days...and will be disembarking on the second day. Top of our list is Pearl Harbor and Waikiki Beach. I like the idea of National letting us drop the car off at the airport...might be a good way to go.

Archived