Guernsey on your own

The weather that day was really strange with rather strong squalls going through in the morning and then by the time Le Boreal had anchored the rain and wind had cleared away to the east and it was a lovely sunny day.

The anchorages are on the east side of the island which are sheltered from the prevalent westerly/south westerly winds. It is the swell that causes problems for boarding guests onto the tenders and this was the problem for the Boudicca.

The shoulder months tend to attract more cancellations than in the middle of the summer.

Hope this helps,

Nigel & Lesley

Whew....that's a relief! Our ship doesn't arrive until late morning, and I know most passengers, like us, are planning to cram in as much as possible in the short time we're there. Please keep your blog posts coming...they're excellent! And we love your photos that give us a hint of what to expect when we get there.

Sam

Hopefully someone can write out directions for a walking itinerary (and maybe some bus transport, too) for a day off a cruise ship in August. I read through the GuernseyWalker blog, but didn't see just this topic. We'd like to include Cornet Castle, Victor Hugo House, the German Underground Museum and hopefully some of the original tunnels, and hopefully a stop at one of the chocolate shops! Our ship is there 7 AM to 4 PM, tendered of course. We would "give up" part of the itinerary to make the route most time efficient, I know we probably won't get all this done. And we'd like to walk the cliffs, and have tea, and.....! Many thanks to the nice people of Guernsey who follow our Cruise Critic postings.

Hopefully someone can write out directions for a walking itinerary (and maybe some bus transport, too) for a day off a cruise ship in August. I read through the GuernseyWalker blog, but didn't see just this topic. We'd like to include Cornet Castle, Victor Hugo House, the German Underground Museum and hopefully some of the original tunnels, and hopefully a stop at one of the chocolate shops! Our ship is there 7 AM to 4 PM, tendered of course. We would "give up" part of the itinerary to make the route most time efficient, I know we probably won't get all this done. And we'd like to walk the cliffs, and have tea, and.....! Many thanks to the nice people of Guernsey who follow our Cruise Critic postings.

As you come into the harbour you will see Castle Cornet on your left, opens at 0930 in the height of the season. I (being me) would go there first, not take any tours, tie you up for too long, have 90/120 mins there. After that walk back along the southern arm of the harbour towards town. Left, past Havelet Beach, then into the Vallette Rd (by the sea) to the Underground Museum. After that a cup of tea at the Vallette Pools cafe to enjoy the views of the ships. Then continue south by the sea for another 200 yards, up the steps to the Cows Horn, by the Aquarium, one of the Gun positions the Germans modified. Enjoy the views.

When you leave there you will be heading back towards town.

So, leaving the Cows Horn, instead of going down the steps, you should see a path that will retrace your steps but on a cliff path with views of the pools that you have just walked past, its a bit up to the left. (Do not go up the larger path that goes up hill towards Fermain.) Keep going for 20/30 mins at you should come out where you started at the bottom of the Val de Terres, you past a lighthouse above you, and a gateway into Fort George, but continue downhill.

(If I was doing this probably 3.5 hours have passed) Instead of walking back along by the beach, now go up Havelet "hill" for 50ft or so and turn right into the Strand. This is a narrow road up above those sea side buildings on your left.

End of that road, go left, up the small hill. Left turn will take you up to Victor Hugo's house. Straight town the steps will take you towards the chocolate shops at the bottom of Mill St. Cross road, bearing right, bear left, turn left up the hill, that's Mill St. Back though market square to your tender.

I've just done this first thing in the morning, will get my wife to check it later, see if it makes sense.!!

Nigel

I've been to Guernsey on multiple occasions, but never as a cruise excursion.

Intransit is a private bus company on the island. Their website mentions excursions, though I'm not sure they coordinate with cruise lines. On my last trip there, we had a group tour on one of their buses that was fabulous. Our driver, Peter, is a Guernsey native. Took us to the little chapel, to some WW2 sites in Torteval, a stop for tea at the Guernsey Pearl Tea Room, a stop at a hedge veg, and so on. Wonderful tour. For those not interested in walking much, it may be worth a call and maybe a group arrangement.

e.

Intransit private buses do not operate when a ship is in port they are fully booked by the cruise ships for their excursions.

I could use these directions, too. We are renting bikes to see the sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you setting the bikes up ahead of time or expecting to see them available when you arrive? Do you already have a tour route in mind?

Are you setting the bikes up ahead of time or expecting to see them available when you arrive? Do you already have a tour route in mind?

We have electric bikes booked already and they will meet us at the dock with the bikes. We are not doing a tour, just the bike rental. We wanted to just be free to do as we please all day with the bikes.

Good evening Sam,

Fermain is a beautiful bay and well worth a visit but there is long hill back up to the main road to catch a bus back in to town ( St Peter Port. ) I would therefore suggest you catch a bus TO the Fermain stop on the Fort Road from the town bus terminus. This will give you a downhill walk through a wooded valley to the bay, which also has a very good beach cafe, ( and toilets.) You can then take the cliff path north, back to Town. The round trip would take about two or two and a half hours. The cliff path is readily accessible but has lots of steps and needs sensible shoes. It provides wonderful views of the coast and other islands. Some of the photos on today's post were taken from this cliff path.

Nigel and Lesley

This is exactly what we will do on our trip in July! I was wondering whether to take the bus to or from Fermain, and you have been most helpful. Alternatively, would a taxi be able to drive down to the beach cafe for drop off or pick up?

This is exactly what we will do on our trip in July! I was wondering whether to take the bus to or from Fermain, and you have been most helpful. Alternatively, would a taxi be able to drive down to the beach cafe for drop off or pick up?

Access to Fermain is restricted, I think ' No Traffic beyond this point ' so for deliveries etc. only. A taxi driver may be happy to take you down but I can't be sure. If they drop you at the hotel further up the hill it will take about 8 to 10 minutes to walk down. Rather longer to walk back up! The cliff walk to Town is lovely but quite hard work in places.

As you come into the harbour you will see Castle Cornet on your left, opens at 0930 in the height of the season. I (being me) would go there first, not take any tours, tie you up for too long, have 90/120 mins there. After that walk back along the southern arm of the harbour towards town. Left, past Havelet Beach, then into the Vallette Rd (by the sea) to the Underground Museum. After that a cup of tea at the Vallette Pools cafe to enjoy the views of the ships. Then continue south by the sea for another 200 yards, up the steps to the Cows Horn, by the Aquarium, one of the Gun positions the Germans modified. Enjoy the views.

So, leaving the Cows Horn, instead of going down the steps, you should see a path that will retrace your steps but on a cliff path with views of the pools that you have just walked past, its a bit up to the left. (Do not go up the larger path that goes up hill towards Fermain.) Keep going for 20/30 mins at you should come out where you started at the bottom of the Val de Terres, you past a lighthouse above you, and a gateway into Fort George, but continue downhill.

(If I was doing this probably 3.5 hours have passed) Instead of walking back along by the beach, now go up Havelet "hill" for 50ft or so and turn right into the Strand. This is a narrow road up above those sea side buildings on your left.

End of that road, go left, up the small hill. Left turn will take you up to Victor Hugo's house. Straight town the steps will take you towards the chocolate shops at the bottom of Mill St. Cross road, bearing right, bear left, turn left up the hill, that's Mill St. Back though market square to your tender.

I've just done this first thing in the morning, will get my wife to check it later, see if it makes sense.!!

Nigel

That would make for a very nice walk!

I was a tad confused about "cows horn". "Clarence Battery" to us foreigners :)

There might be time to walk towards Fermain from the battery to get onto the clif path for a while, though I think you'd need to re-trace your steps a bit, no?

Love your blog, btw. Wish we had made it over for the 70th liberation day celebration. Not a chance that I'll miss the 100th :)

Nigel

Nigel suggested I check his instructions to see if they are easy to follow. I think they are perfect up to 'The Cow's Horn', which is the local's name for Clarence Battery.

From there you can take the cliff path back towards town by leaving the battery and going up the path and almost at once right. Stay on this cliff path which includes several sets of steps and you will skirt the outer walls of Fort George and eventually go back down hill to the junction of the Val des Terres and Havelet, taking about 20 minutes Havelet is a steep hill up into Hauteville but a more pleasant walk is the one Nigel suggested so just up Havelet hill turn right into the Strand (currently the site of a large building project.) This is an interesting old road which comes out in an historic area. Turn left at the end of the Strand as Nigel says, up a short steep hill and you come out in Hauteville. Turn left up Hauteville and go about 250 yards where Victor Hugo's House in on the left, flying the French flag. Well worth a visit but check opening times.

If you decide to leave out Victor Hugo's then as you exit the hill up from the Strand there is a restaurant called Fruits de Moo almost opposite and to its right is a wide flight of granite steps which take you down into the Bordage. The Market building is to your right, a very large grey curved wall about 50 yards away. This end of the building stands at the junction of Market Street, the Bordage, Fountain Street and a small hill called Mill Street. The chocolate shop is a few steps up Mill Street.

Down hill past the Market Buildings will bring you back to the Town Church on the sea front.

That would make for a very nice walk!

I was a tad confused about "cows horn". "Clarence Battery" to us foreigners :)

There might be time to walk towards Fermain from the battery to get onto the clif path for a while, though I think you'd need to re-trace your steps a bit, no?

Love your blog, btw. Wish we had made it over for the 70th liberation day celebration. Not a chance that I'll miss the 100th :)

From Clarence Battery you can choose the cliff path back towards Town, as described in detail. Alternatively, taking the larger left fork from the Battery takes you up hill and off towards Fermain. This is a stunning walk but takes 45 minutes to Fermain and a long steep walk back up the hill to the Fort Road for a bus or a return back along the cliff path to retrace your steps to Town. There is a good cafe at Fermain but you wouldn't have time for much else.

Hope that helps.

Nigel and Lesley

• 4 weeks later...

Lucky people on the Celebrity ship. Our ship, the Oceania Marina, was supposed to be in Holyhead on 1 June and Guernsey on 2 June; but both ports were cancelled (presumably for bad seas crossing from Ireland). Bummer! After reading the wonderful book, the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, we had really been looking forward to our visit to St. Peter Port. Bummer! I guess there are bad days when no ship can land its passengers.

The Celebrity Silhouette was at St Peter Port today and in the landing area some nice seating appeared. Not to sure whether it was Celebrity's or Guernsey's own!!

Image of it on my blogs post for today, http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/

Nigel

I've sailed on celebrity in the Caribbean and that looks quite typical of their shore amenities. Though I don't recall furniture quite like that.

• 3 weeks later...
The Celebrity Silhouette was at St Peter Port today and in the landing area some nice seating appeared. Not to sure whether it was Celebrity's or Guernsey's own!!

Image of it on my blogs post for today, http://guernseyliners.blogspot.com/

Nigel

Celebrity usually has this kind of seating at most ports, also water, fruit punch and cold towels, they even had hot chicken broth on a cold windy day in Helsinki last month:D

Lucky people on the Celebrity ship. Our ship, the Oceania Marina, was supposed to be in Holyhead on 1 June and Guernsey on 2 June; but both ports were cancelled (presumably for bad seas crossing from Ireland). Bummer! After reading the wonderful book, the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, we had really been looking forward to our visit to St. Peter Port. Bummer! I guess there are bad days when no ship can land its passengers.

The Silhouette couldn't dock at Holyhead later that sailing due to bad weather, sailed straight on to overnight at le Havre.

Nigel, how often does Guernsey get cancelled, we're on the Silly's Aug 8 sailing, its our second port after le Havre. I'm particularly keen on visiting Guernsey, fingers crossed for good weather...

Edited by prish

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel, how often does Guernsey get cancelled, we're on the Silly's Aug 8 sailing, its our second port after le Havre. I'm particularly keen on visiting Guernsey, fingers crossed for good weather...

Hi,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, just got back from holiday. If you asked me 2 years ago, it was not a good year for liners visiting, especially early in the season. This year seems OK, with a few, but not many cancellations due to the weather. Hope you make it, it is a lovely Island to call home and we are very proud of it.

Nigel & Lesley

Hi,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, just got back from holiday. If you asked me 2 years ago, it was not a good year for liners visiting, especially early in the season. This year seems OK, with a few, but not many cancellations due to the weather. Hope you make it, it is a lovely Island to call home and we are very proud of it.

Nigel & Lesley

Hi Nigel,

Love your blog! I hope to get ashore ....onboard the Silhouette in August. I grew

up in Guernsey...went to Blancelande and have a bunch of friends waiting for us....send out a dinghy if the ship doesn't put out tenders!!!!Ha!:)

Hi,

Nigel & Lesley

Hi Nigel,

Love your blog! I hope to get ashore ....onboard the Silhouette in August. I grew

up in Guernsey...went to Blancelande and have a bunch of friends waiting for us....send out a dinghy if the ship doesn't put out tenders!!!!Ha!:)

Hi,

Rather strangely my wife was principal for 14 years at Blanchelande and spent her whole career there!!

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Hi,

Rather strangely my wife was principal for 14 years at Blanchelande and spent her whole career there!!

Nigel

So now I would love to know who your wife is if that is not too personal a question? I also attended Elizabeth College...took an A and S level there!!! Blanchelande didn't offer the Biology course I needed!!!My maiden name was Hutton.

Penny :)

Hi,

Nigel & Lesley

Thanks Nigel, hopefully the weather will be good and we won't have any problems tendering, if not, I know you'll have the dinghy ready for us:D

Edited by prish

So now I would love to know who your wife is if that is not too personal a question? I also attended Elizabeth College...took an A and S level there!!! Blanchelande didn't offer the Biology course I needed!!!My maiden name was Hutton.

Penny :)

My wife started at Blanchelande 2 or 3 years after you left.

I remember you and your 2 friends at the College, indeed a small world, even spooooky. Won't mention how many years ago.

Nigel

We just returned home from our July 15 Silhouette BI sailing. Our port stop in Guernsey was by far the one we enjoyed the most. We were so lucky to have a beautiful sunny day and calm seas. Even the tendering process was fairly smooth, without any major problem. St. Peter Port is such a pretty town. After our fabulous walking tour with Annette Henry (she is truly amazing), we wished we had more time to explore the town and elsewhere on the island. We did visit Ben Le Prevost and his fabulous chocolate emporium, and brought home some very tasty samples of his work. We also did the round the island bus trip....only 1GBP....what a deal! We got to see some of the fabulous beaches on the other side of the island. We promised ourselves we would definitely come back some day.

Sam