Passports For Kids

td33boys

We will be taking our kids, 7 & 6 on their first cruise in March. We depart and arrive in Ft Lauderdale on the Allure. Royal Caribbean says all our kids need is an original Birth Certificate and they DO NOT need a pass port since we depart and arrive in

US.

Is that true?

Do they need passports?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are safe as far as cruising go, getting on and off the ship in FLL.

BUT:

If for any reason you would have to fly home from a foreign port than the children would not have the proper ID.

I know it is a long shot of it happening............family members back home getting sick, or God forbid someone gets hurt and you have to cancel the cruise and come home.

Get the passport.

Safe journey.

BUT:

If for any reason you would have to fly home from a foreign port than the children would not have the proper ID.

I know it is a long shot of it happening............family members back home getting sick, or God forbid someone gets hurt and you have to cancel the cruise and come home.

Get the passport.

Safe journey.

first line in your response would have answered the question

Edited by SeaUs

I saw a couple arguing with the cruise ship staff over the fact that they did not have passports when we were getting off the ship in Ft Lauderdale; they had birth certificates. I have three teens (13, 14, 16) and we got them passports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a couple arguing with the cruise ship staff over the fact that they did not have passports when we were getting off the ship in Ft Lauderdale; they had birth certificates. I have three teens (13, 14, 16) and we got them passports.

don't think cruise ship staff give a hoot one way or the other.

BUT:

This is the answer that I was going to give. There is a risk although it is admittedly very small. You have to decide if you are willing to take the risk of not having a passport in the rare chance that something might happen and you need to fly home from a foreign port.

It is a risk traveling without a passport for your kids. The execution fee to apply is $25 and for either $80 for the passport book or $15 for the passport card is worth it for piece of mind. We have passports for our kids and at last sailing they were 1 & 5. Makes it very easy for check in, and I've heard it's more complicated with a birth certificate.

We will be taking our kids, 7 & 6 on their first cruise in March. We depart and arrive in Ft Lauderdale on the Allure. Royal Caribbean says all our kids need is an original Birth Certificate and they DO NOT need a pass port since we depart and arrive in

US.

Is that true?

Do they need passports?

Children vs. adults --age makes no difference.

I wouldn't base any decisions based upon a partially overheard conversation. I'd bet they had some type of "souvenier" birth certificates rather than official certified copies. I have one of those "souvenier" copies in my baby book -- I didn't think they made them anymore. Or it might've been some other problem. Perhaps they weren't US citizens.
don't think cruise ship staff give a hoot one way or the other.
True. The cruise line checks IDs as you board so that they can feel confident you'll be able to pass through US Customs and get out of their terminal upon your return.
Makes it very easy for check in, and I've heard it's more complicated with a birth certificate.
False. No one cares what documentation you have upon check in. Neither is more complicated. Edited by MrsPete

US.

Is that true?

Do they need passports?

no one needs a passport for a closed loop cruise. since kids passports are only good for 5 years, don't spend the money unless you plan on a lot of 'real' foreign travel(flying internationally) in the next 5 years.

It is a risk traveling without a passport for your kids. The execution fee to apply is $25 and for either $80 for the passport book or $15 for the passport card is worth it for piece of mind. We have passports for our kids and at last sailing they were 1 & 5. Makes it very easy for check in, and I've heard it's more complicated with a birth certificate.

What is the passport card?

I can't see spending over $100 a piece on each of my kiddos who will be 3 and 5.5 at the time of the cruise knowing that there is a possibility that we will not cruise again before the passport would expire

I can't see spending over $100 a piece on each of my kiddos who will be 3 and 5.5 at the time of the cruise knowing that there is a possibility that we will not cruise again before the passport would expire

We don't have a passport card but I believe it's about the size of a driver's license.

A passport card is approximately the size of a credit card/drivers license. It will get you on and off the ship. It will also allow you to cross the Mexican and Canadian Border and return. It WILL NOT allow you to return to the US by air if, for any reason, you are out of country and have to fly back. For that you need the full passport.

Edited by CORKY_Q

Soooooo much false information here it's almost comical. Your children are fine with just birth certificates, don't let other drive fear into you. Also if something were to happen your not going to be held hostage in another country begging on the streets never to return home. You will be told to go to the U.S. embassy and get it taken care of, it might cost you a little bit and you might have to wait a few days, but you will get home. Don't let these people fool you!

I saw a couple arguing with the cruise ship staff over the fact that they did not have passports when we were getting off the ship in Ft Lauderdale;

The last people who care about a passport is the "cruise ship staff".

What are they going to do, keep you on the ship indefinitely until you can present a passport...

Edited by matj2000

All I know is the couple was arguing about having a Certified BC when we were disembarking in the doorway of the ship.

I didn't say you cannot use a BC, but friends that take lots of cruises told me to get them. For my 16 yr old it was same as an adult. We plan to have for other international travel. I think you weigh the cost/benefit and consider the risks and make an informed decision. No one is hyping it up. Or giving false information.

Children vs. adults --age makes no difference...
Actually age DOES make a difference. For Closed Loop cruises children under 16 only have to have a valid Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate proving US citizenship. 16 and over ALSO have to have a government issued photo ID.

Soooooo much false information here it's almost comical. Your children are fine with just birth certificates, don't let other drive fear into you. Also if something were to happen your not going to be held hostage in another country begging on the streets never to return home. You will be told to go to the U.S. embassy and get it taken care of, it might cost you a little bit and you might have to wait a few days, but you will get home. Don't let these people fool you!
I always carry my passport, but I entirely agree that Passports are NOT required for mostClosed Loop cruises.

HOWEVER what happens if you miss the ship in Sint Maarten (or St. Kitts, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, etc) - these areas do NOT have a US Embassy, but are serviced by the US Embassy in Barbados. Theoretically you need a passport to get from Sint Maarten to Barbados in order to get a passport. What do you do then? And I'm sure that with thousands of visitors somebody must have had this problem.

Thom

The passport card is a wallet-sized ID issued by the passport office. It is good for driving across the border, and it is intended for Americans who live near the Mexican or Canadian borders. It is not valid for air travel.

As far as cruises go, it's kind of the red-headed stepchild. It offers none of the safeguards that some people are SURE we're all going to need, yet it costs money and expires. For a cruise, I'd say either buy the full-fledged passport book, or go with the birth certificate -- this halfway measure is really kind of useless.

Actually age DOES make a difference. For Closed Loop cruises children under 16 only have to have a valid Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate proving US citizenship. 16 and over ALSO have to have a government issued photo ID.
That's true, but people old enough to drive don't tend to go around without their driver's licenses, so it isn't really a sticking point.

Thanks for all the comments. Hope topic kept everyone's blood pressure in the 120/80 range. Didn't mean to start a spirited debate. Cheers and have fun on everyone's next cruise.