Istanbul

gymfreak

When we were in Istanbul on Quest last September they used different docks for embarkation and debarcation. The debarcation one was much nearer the tourist sites. I can't remember the dock names now but I think they both began with Sa.......should be easy to google them.

This may have changed but when we embarked from Istanbul June 2013, you weren't allowed to get off the ship once you had boarded & we intended to do some last minute sightseeing. Fortunately we found out just before going through passports at the terminal. So we left our luggage to be loaded & went back out again.

We got a tram just outside the terminal - but had to buy some water from a kiosk first to get change to buy the tokens.

We walked back over the Galata bridge & had a great fish sandwich for lunch.

When we were in Istanbul on Quest last September they used different docks for embarkation and debarcation. The debarcation one was much nearer the tourist sites. I can't remember the dock names now but I think they both began with Sa.......should be easy to google them.

Hi Lottie A, et.al.,

We will be docking in Istanbul along the Salipazari Pier. The final berthing assignment is always up to the harbor master and is subject to change pending on the ship traffic on that day. But regardless of the final berth assignment, it is easy to find the ship along the Salipazari Pier.

Word to the wise: the walk from the ship berth to the Topkapi is about 2.5 miles and once you get to the other side of the Golden Horn, it is uphill. That said, it is a nice walk and you can walk though the Grand Bazaar.

Another Insider Tip from Claudius: "When near the Topkapi and Hagia Sophia, stop by the locally well-known and traditional Tarihi Sultanahmet Koeftecisi for best meatballs in town."

Last May I wrote a blog post: An Interview with Claudius Docekal

Since we're talking about visiting and dining in Istanbul, Turkey...here are two blog posts:

Eat Like a Local in Turkey (Bonnie MacLaird)

"Along the coast of Turkey we always ate the most wonderful grilled fish, accompanied by fresh salads, home baked breads and local wines. The food of Turkey is amazing, and so are the people." (Bonnie MacLaird)

“As with most of my travel memories, those from my Turkey trip are entwined with what I ate and drank there, and with the meals shared by friends old and new.” (Julia Cosgrove, Editor-in-Chief, AFAR)

Istanbul Turkey: Modern Culture in a Historic City (Lee Abbamonte)

"Istanbul is a city for the senses. You taste it, touch it, smell it, see it and you will definitely hear it. Istanbul is unabashedly awesome." (Lee Abbamonte)

• 4 weeks later...

We have two airport options for Istanbul the main Ataturk (IST) and Sabiha (SAW)

What would be the taxi time to these airports leaving the ship at 9.00AM

Does Azamara offer late disembarkation in Istanbul

What would be the cost and latest departure time

Has anyone taken the Azamara tour and airport drop package